PDA

View Full Version : Calling on the Quaoarsking (men's basketball)

Dawg61
10-31-2018, 02:45 PM
Your name is a bitch to spell correctly btw but that's not why I am calling on you brother. Since either you or 615 dawg or the guy that obliterates Ole Miss on NCAA stuff like the shady hoetel (swidt) on their campus that I can't remember his username are probably the top research peeps on this site and dig the dirty work. Can you please tell us mental peasants how few teams have been ranked preseason top 25 in basketball and failed to make the NCAA tourney in the last 5 years. Since we are a 5 seed currently if the tourney started today I'd like to know how rare it would be if Howland shat the bed and didn't make the tourney. Not that I think that's going to happen at all I'd just like to point it out to the Eeyore's on the board cough cough LIVERPOOL just how unlikely it is. Thanks in advance Quaroeosojsoiking.

You need one of these but with a Q instead of a bat symbol btw

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/bat-signal.jpg

Gutter Cobreh
10-31-2018, 03:05 PM
Google is your friend....

Since 2006-07, 301 teams have been ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 (Michigan and Utah tied for 25th in 2014-15). Of those 301 teams, 110 have failed to win an NCAA Tournament game, or 36.5 percent. Forty-seven of the 301 teams missed the tourney entirely, or 15.6 percent.

https://herosports.com/college-basketball/preseason-ap-top-25-ncaa-tournament-ahah

Dawg61
10-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Google is your friend....

Since 2006-07, 301 teams have been ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 (Michigan and Utah tied for 25th in 2014-15). Of those 301 teams, 110 have failed to win an NCAA Tournament game, or 36.5 percent. Forty-seven of the 301 teams missed the tourney entirely, or 15.6 percent.

https://herosports.com/college-basketball/preseason-ap-top-25-ncaa-tournament-ahah

Impressive. Have some rep.

Gutter Cobreh
10-31-2018, 09:08 PM
Got lucky your thoughts lined up with an article that was recently posted.

It's actually an interesting question you posed, as I would have thought the percentage would have been higher. I guess preseason rankings for basketball aren't as subjective as football. I suppose this is due to team size and the number of players needed to make a true impact on wins and losses. That's just my best guess, as I have no idea.

Dawg61
10-31-2018, 09:38 PM
It's low cause when you start adding up blue bloods from the top 5 conferences you get to a top 25 pretty quickly. Locks for the tourney. The preseason pickers probably roughly pick the same 16-18 teams every year and then "guess" on the last 7-9 spots so if they only miss on half their guesses they are right at .15%. I haven't even looked at the top 25 yet but it's pretty easy to name 19 locks right now. Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, West Virginia, Kansas, Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, UCLA, Oregon, Cinncy, Villanova, Michigan, Michigan State, Gonzaga. That's 19 teams and I probably missed 4-5 obvious ones.

Bully13
11-01-2018, 09:49 AM
It's low cause when you start adding up blue bloods from the top 5 conferences you get to a top 25 pretty quickly. Locks for the tourney. The preseason pickers probably roughly pick the same 16-18 teams every year and then "guess" on the last 7-9 spots so if they only miss on half their guesses they are right at .15%. I haven't even looked at the top 25 yet but it's pretty easy to name 19 locks right now. Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, West Virginia, Kansas, Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, UCLA, Oregon, Cinncy, Villanova, Michigan, Michigan State, Gonzaga. That's 19 teams and I probably missed 4-5 obvious ones.

Kansas is pre-season # 1. LSU should not be ranked higher than us IMO.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/31/college-hoops-rankings-every-team-kansas-duke-kentucky

19. Mississippi State (5th in SEC): Alongside the brothers Weatherspoon (6' 4" senior Quinndary and 6' 2" sophomore Nick), the Bulldogs have a top-notch shot-swatting tandem in 6' 11" sophomore Abdul Ado (1.9 bpg) and 6' 10" senior Aric Holman (1.8 bpg).