PDA

View Full Version : 6'9" 340lbs OT Joseph Stone has recommitted from Arkanasas

starkvegasdawg
10-31-2018, 07:43 AM
Is he on our radar at all? Does he need to be?

fader2103
10-31-2018, 07:52 AM
recommitted? or DEcommitted?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Arkansas dropped him so I'm sure he'll reach out to us.

starkvegasdawg
10-31-2018, 07:58 AM
recommitted? or DEcommitted?

De. Damn autocorrect.

Johnson85
10-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Arkansas dropped him so I'm sure he'll reach out to us.

Will we be interested?

Jack Lambert
10-31-2018, 08:41 AM
De. Damn autocorrect.

Yep that's the go to excuse for me.:)

msstate7
10-31-2018, 08:47 AM
Will we be interested?

No idea, but he's rated .84 vs Jones at .80. Stone shows Louisville and Purdue offers which are better than any of Jones'

BhamDawg205
10-31-2018, 08:48 AM
That big will we recruit him as OT or G?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2018, 08:51 AM
No idea, but he's rated .84 vs Jones at .80. Stone shows Louisville and Purdue offers which are better than any of Jones'

Here's the bigger deal. Jones - MSU offer Stone - No MSU offer. We'll see if that changes.

Johnson85
10-31-2018, 08:53 AM
Here's the bigger deal. Jones - MSU offer Stone - No MSU offer. We'll see if that changes.

Do you know if the MSU offer was committable when it was extended? I'm assuming our OL recruiting hasn't been good enough that it would be withdrawn if so, unless Stone has regressed.

Dawg61
10-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Fast DEs just run around big dudes like that. Eiland couldn't handle Allen's quickness at all and Stone is bigger than Eiland.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2018, 09:15 AM
Do you know if the MSU offer was committable when it was extended? I'm assuming our OL recruiting hasn't been good enough that it would be withdrawn if so, unless Stone has regressed.

We've never offered Stone

Doggie_Style
10-31-2018, 09:27 AM
good lord.....these two aren't SEC OL's....we are in desperation mode.....hopefully we pull the rabbit out of the hat and it's Cross

msu15
10-31-2018, 10:04 AM
good lord.....these two aren't SEC OL's....we are in desperation mode.....hopefully we pull the rabbit out of the hat and it's Cross

Would be willing to bet that you said the same about Elgton Jenkins.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Most people thought Jenkins was undervalued.

msstate7
10-31-2018, 10:12 AM

Day and clausell were good too. There were a bunch though that weren't

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-31-2018, 12:34 PM
Arky fans in Reddit's cfb sub say they dropped him because of grades, not because they have someone better to fill his spot. Probably better to get a lower rated body that will at least get to campus than another complete miss. We need SEC players yes but also numbers. Since Stone isn't exactly a stud either wouldn't our staff wait till all the recruiting cards fell into place before taking a chance on him? I'd imagine if we have any interest at all we'll slow play him till all other OL prospect options are exhausted

Johnson85
10-31-2018, 12:57 PM

Read that backwards.

confucius say
10-31-2018, 01:54 PM

Why you say that? Jones is rated higher than Jenkins and Calhoun were.

Bothrops
10-31-2018, 03:06 PM

They're just aren't very many to go around, that are known to the recruiting services.

Jack Lambert
10-31-2018, 03:08 PM
My perceptions over the years was a lot of bitching about our O line recruiting. There was a lot of bitching about our o line over the 9 years with Mullen.

Pit Bull
10-31-2018, 04:08 PM
He needs to be on Howland's radar. This dude gets position inside.....aint nobody gonna move him out.

sandwolf
10-31-2018, 05:00 PM
My perceptions over the years was a lot of bitching about our O line recruiting. There was a lot of bitching about our o line over the 9 years with Mullen.

Yea, the bitching about O line recruiting and Hevesy was never ending. And some of it was warranted, because Hevesy is probably one of the shittiest, most unlikable recruiters in the country and he definitely cost us some guys that would have made us better. That said, it is pretty hard to argue with their results over the past 5 years....they did a very good job of identifying undervalued talent and developing them.

Johnson85
11-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Notwithstanding that, you have any insight on whether we are interested? If it's grades, may be a moot point. But would we offer at this point? Just keep him warm? Or not even bother with keeping him warm?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Notwithstanding that, you have any insight on whether we are interested? If it's grades, may be a moot point. But would we offer at this point? Just keep him warm? Or not even bother with keeping him warm?

He visited multiple times this spring & we never offered. I could be wrong but I don't see us pursuing him.

Hot Rock
11-01-2018, 10:46 AM
I believe the O-Line positions are the hardest to project going forward from HS to College. Sure, anyone can see a 5 star HS guy that is ready to play right now but those are few and far between.

I think that by an O-Lineman's 2nd or 3rd (RS) year into college, with proper nutrition and training, you see more of them than any other position outperforming their HS star rating.

I say almost of these 3/4 star guys have always been bigger and stronger than everyone around them their entire life. That will not be the case their 1st year in college. Which of these guy do you see will put in the work and finish filling our his frame to become that next 2 star to the NFL? It's hard as crap for a recruiting service to see "Heart" with a stat. You can't teach speed, but that's not the most important quality in an O-Linemen.

So, what do I really watch for out of HS? Frame, footwork, some athleticism, some nastiness, and really I just hope my coaches know what they want.

I do get frustrated when we only sign 3 in a class though and that's not happening this year. I see some nice looking O-Line in this class and they will be tested by those D-line that are in there as well.

If a team is truly built in the trenches then State does have a bright future.