PDA

View Full Version : Who are we

BuckyIsAB****
10-30-2018, 10:34 PM
I was just thinking about this year and the offense and I just thought we dont even really know who we really are.

We do now what Moorhead wants us to be but we obvi havent been that. Are we the team that runs it 40-50 times and throws it 10-15? Or are we the team that throws it 35 times and struggles to break 200 yards of offense??

Or are we the team from saturday that rushed it 31 and threw it 22 and scored 28 on a good front but average at best secondary?

We will find out these last 5 games. I am still confused about Moorhead. After the UK game he looked like he committed to what we were vs Auburn then after LSU he looked like he said the hell with that too. I will say this, Aeris got 9 carries Sat night and avg 3.9 YPC. I still think he needs it more. Fitz got it 16 times for 5.5 YPC. His YPC was helped alot by the 70 somn yarder we popped to seal it. Before he had the long run to seal it, (yes he and the team deserve credit for it) he had somn like 15 carries for around 15-20 yards. The passing game produced enough explosive plays to make up for it. It was nice to see it all come together but we are still built to run the ball and pick our spots in the pass.

It would help tremendously if our WRs play as well or close to as well as they played Sat. If they can do that we will be a tough ass out these last 4 games and we will make OM beg us to stop.

We need to find out who we are. Hail State

Todd4State
10-30-2018, 11:14 PM
I get the impression that he listened to the fans that wanted him to run it more and while it worked against Auburn it was as bad or worse against LSU. I don't think run heavy play calling is what is natural to him so for A&M he said screw it- this is who I am and play called the way that was more natural to him and it IMO worked out better.

I suspect he will play call his way the rest of the year because it will probably work regardless except against Alabama. And that's probably the most beneficial thing for our team to do going forward.

I think we know who we are- we are a balanced team that has run first players that don't necessarily fit the offense perfectly.

Dawgcap
10-30-2018, 11:57 PM
Moorhead wants to pass to set up the run. We as State fans expect to run, then run to set up the pass. The problem this year is we are inaccurate and we aren’t we haven’t caught the ball. Then we chase the chains. It’s easy to not be a fan of this because we haven’t caught the ball when we had accuracy.

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2018, 12:22 AM
I believe Moorhead's play calling this week was a great example of varying the offensive attack. We attacked in multiple ways and that required aTm to play more on their heels. If the run game is hitting, great. If the pass is working, even better. But when we are aggressive in both areas it can be tough on a defense.

Aggressive is key. You have to constantly have a deep threat. You constantly have to have the defense trying to cover deep routes, RB, Slot, TE, and best the threat of Fitz pulling it down and picking up 3rd and 7 on the ground.

I really enjoyed Aeris getting the carries mixed in. It really put the pressure on aTm. Wish we would have worked in more RB screens as well and some RPO screens off of QB run action. I am sure we are saving those for UM.

Todd4State
10-31-2018, 01:35 AM
I believe Moorhead's play calling this week was a great example of varying the offensive attack. We attacked in multiple ways and that required aTm to play more on their heels. If the run game is hitting, great. If the pass is working, even better. But when we are aggressive in both areas it can be tough on a defense.

Aggressive is key. You have to constantly have a deep threat. You constantly have to have the defense trying to cover deep routes, RB, Slot, TE, and best the threat of Fitz pulling it down and picking up 3rd and 7 on the ground.

I really enjoyed Aeris getting the carries mixed in. It really put the pressure on aTm. Wish we would have worked in more RB screens as well and some RPO screens off of QB run action. I am sure we are saving those for UM.

I think Moorhead's offense has a lot of packages (can't think of a better word) to attack defenses certain ways. I suspect that once he gets settled and his personnel in we'll see games like Auburn where we run more and then weeks like A&M where we pass more. That's where the analytics component comes in. I suspect we're going to not use RPO's a lot because Nick seemed to struggle the most with those or would just default to keeping it almost every time.

There will be a few constants- mainly attacking the defense deep throughout the game.