10-30-2018, 06:10 PM
18 in the cfp

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2018, 06:17 PM
The AP poll will adjust accordingly. Could be going into Tusky as a top 15 team

Commercecomet24
10-30-2018, 06:20 PM
The AP poll will adjust accordingly. Could be going into Tusky as a top 15 team

Yep I agree. We gotta bow up this Saturday and play like a top 20 and dominate from start to finish. Gotta learn to handle the prosperity and then go to bama and give em hell and keep it close.

BrunswickDawg
10-30-2018, 06:25 PM
And our losses are all in the Top 11. But LSU, Kentucky and Florida aren't legit and are over rated ***

Leeshouldveflanked
10-30-2018, 06:25 PM
We could have made the Playoff this year.... Thanks Cohen! With any kind of competent hire we are 8-0 now and even with a loss at BAMA we would still have made the playoffs... but if Mullen was still our coach Ole Miss would beat us by 2 TD’s as Mullen would have been checked out and talking to agents after the Bama game.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 06:33 PM
We could have made the Playoff this year.... Thanks Cohen! With any kind of competent hire we are 8-0 now and even with a loss at BAMA we would still have made the playoffs... but if Mullen was still our coach Ole Miss would beat us by 2 TD’s as Mullen would have been checked out and talking to agents after the Bama game.

We wouldn't have beat LSU down there this year under Mullen.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-30-2018, 06:35 PM
We wouldn't have beat LSU down there this year under Mullen.

So you are saying Death Valley is a 28 pt swing? Basically both teams returned the same team from last year.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 06:45 PM
So you are saying Death Valley is a 28 pt swing? Basically both teams returned the same team from last year.

LSU is a lot better than they were last year. Burrow doesn't beat them.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 06:49 PM

They certainly could be better, but it isn't bc of burrow. Etling's rating was 152.98; burrow's is 118.16

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 06:57 PM
They certainly could be better, but it isn't bc of burrow. Etling's rating was 152.98; burrow's is 118.16

Burrow doesn't beat them.

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't call them a lot better. Burrow just doesn't beat them.

We would've lost to KY with Mullen. Hea would've overlooked them. We would've beat LSU.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Burrow doesn't beat them.

What do you mean by that? Burrow has already thrown more ints than etling did... 3 for burrow, 2 for etling

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 07:06 PM
What do you mean by that? Burrow has already thrown more ints than etling did... 3 for burrow, 2 for etling

I didn't realize that. I take back what I said then.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 07:23 PM

He doesn't beat them. The record speaks for itself.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Some of y'all need to put the losses behind you. There ain't a dang thing that you can do about them except use them to make yourselves miserable. What matters now is what happens going forward. That starts Saturday. Be at the dang game.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2018, 07:26 PM
Some of y'all need to put the losses behind you. There ain't a dang thing that you can do about them except use them to make yourselves miserable. What matters now is what happens going forward. That starts Saturday. Be at the dang game.

Right on! On to La Tech!

Leeshouldveflanked
10-30-2018, 07:26 PM
I think the SEC is really down this year, hence our chance to have made the playoff.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 07:31 PM
He doesn't beat them. The record speaks for itself.

They were 9-3 last season. I think it's a better than average chance they finish 9-3 again.

Quaoarsking
10-30-2018, 07:36 PM

I don't know, is Davis Wade a 55 point swing? (We went from a 39-point loss to Auburn last year to a 16-point win.) Or is part of that due to Moorhead over Mullen?

Or does college football not work that way at all? Probably that one.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2018, 07:39 PM
I don't know, is Davis Wade a 55 point swing? (We went from a 39-point loss to Auburn last year to a 16-point win.) Or is part of that due to Moorhead over Mullen?

Or does college football not work that way at all? Probably that one.

I'm glad somebody else has this same thought. One year has nothing to do with the next year in any sport and especially college football

yjnkdawg
10-30-2018, 07:42 PM

All speculation. We could have lost none of those three games with DM as our coach, lost one with DM as our coach, lost two with DM as our coach , or lost all three with him as our coach. He had been known to play not to lose in the bigger (higher ranked team) games. Would he have done that against LSU this year? I don't know. If I said he would, then I would be speculating, and here we are back to where you started with your post.

yjnkdawg
10-30-2018, 07:45 PM

I said in a post a day or so ago, that we can't go back and replay those three games. It is past history. Maybe a few just want us to be a participant in their misery?

Cowbell
10-30-2018, 07:46 PM
I think the SEC is really down this year, hence our chance to have made the playoff.

This is just not the case. Florida and Kentucky are the best they have been in a decade. LSU, the Aggie?s, Vanderbilt, and Missouri are all better than they were last year. Arkansas and Ole miss suck - nothing new there (and Tennessee). Auburn has been the only letdown but I think it?s because the teams around them are just better. The SEC, as a whole, is having a great year but the balance we have between divisions is making it a nine round fight behind first place.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2018, 07:46 PM
We could have made the Playoff this year.... Thanks Cohen! With any kind of competent hire we are 8-0 now and even with a loss at BAMA we would still have made the playoffs... but if Mullen was still our coach Ole Miss would beat us by 2 TD?s as Mullen would have been checked out and talking to agents after the Bama game.

I blame Mullen.
1. He Left
2. Lack of recruiting WR's. (AJ Brown)
3. Not developing Fitz to be more of a passer. He coached him for four years.

MedDawg
10-30-2018, 07:47 PM

Last year LSU had two key defenders hurt and lost two more for targeting. They finished the season much better than they started, so we caught them at a good time. Plus this year they have Burrow who is better than who they had last year. We might have beaten them this year with Mullen, but by no means is it a given.

The thing is, there is no candidate we could have hired who would definitely have had us at 8-0. Pruitt? Sumlin? Rich Rod? Les Miles?

The guy from Troy? Remember that part of this season and for sure the next few depend on signing good players in December and February, and Moorhead did that. A lot of others wouldn't have, especially successful G5 head coaches who never had to recruit blue-chip players to succeed.

Moorhead was as good a choice as any. We weren't going to get Scott Frost, Chip Kelly, or even Willie Taggart. Probably not Venables either.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2018, 07:56 PM
This is just not the case. Florida and Kentucky are the best they have been in a decade. LSU, the Aggie?s, Vanderbilt, and Missouri are all better than they were last year. Arkansas and Ole miss suck - nothing new there (and Tennessee). Auburn has been the only letdown but I think it?s because the teams around them are just better. The SEC, as a whole, is having a great year but the balance we have between divisions is making it a nine round fight behind first place.

You are correct. The SEC is actually far and away the strongest conference. I watch the other conferences and outside of a couple of teams the play is extremely weak, especially defenses. The SEC as a whole is stronger than it's been in awhile. The Sec east is back and both sides are now stout

BrunswickDawg
10-30-2018, 08:05 PM
You are correct. The SEC is actually far and away the strongest conference. I watch the other conferences and outside of a couple of teams the play is extremely weak, especially defenses. The SEC as a whole is stronger than it's been in awhile. The Sec east is back and both sides are now stout
Half of the SEC is in the Top 20. Half. That's 7 teams.

No other conference more than 4.

testuser
10-30-2018, 08:08 PM
So we lost to 3 top 11 teams? Wow. Fire Moorhead.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Half of the SEC is in the Top 20. Half. That's 7 teams.

No other conference more than 4.

Yep, the sec is stout! Watch the sec defenses(outside of unm and arky) and then watch the rest of cfb and tell me there's not a huge difference. Even my wife sees the difference lol

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 08:18 PM

I take it you haven't looked at the rankings. The SEC is all over them.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-30-2018, 09:38 PM
The only way we could have beat LSU this year involves the QB position. A Dak caliber QB and leader would have won that game with this year's team. I love Fitz but he stunk up in Death Valley and that was the difference in the game.

Todd4State
10-30-2018, 09:58 PM
I don't understand why some of our fans think that Dan would have defeated Kentucky when he lost to them at home with Florida. Or LSU. Florida would have been dependent on who their coach was. It's very possible we would still be 5-3 with Dan.

Being 18 makes me think that we're probably going to the Outback Bowl because I would be surprised if the committee took 5 SEC teams. It's a little lower than I hoped/anticipated.

We need to finish this season strong and regroup at bowl time and then after the season and bring in players that fit the scheme a little bit better.

Todd4State
10-30-2018, 09:59 PM
I blame Mullen.
1. He Left
2. Lack of recruiting WR's. (AJ Brown)
3. Not developing Fitz to be more of a passer. He coached him for four years.

I agree. If you look at the recruiting rankings of our defensive players it becomes even more apparent why we're so good there versus the other side of the ball.

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 10:06 PM
I don't understand why some of our fans think that Dan would have defeated Kentucky when he lost to them at home with Florida. Or LSU. Florida would have been dependent on who their coach was. It's very possible we would still be 5-3 with Dan.

Being 18 makes me think that we're probably going to the Outback Bowl because I would be surprised if the committee took 5 SEC teams. It's a little lower than I hoped/anticipated.

We need to finish this season strong and regroup at bowl time and then after the season and bring in players that fit the scheme a little bit better.

I think Dan probably would've been tripped up by Ky because he would've overlooked them and then not have the team prepared. Sorta like he did with FL this year. But then he would've righted the ship and rammed the ball by running it right down the throat of every other team. And I think we can do that to everyone we've played. Our pass pro would've been better by the line and Aeris, Fitz would've had a cleaner pocket, and would've been playing and not analyzing so much.

Having said that, while I'm still waiting to see somewhat but ... I like the aggressiveness of our O we had the other night. You wouldn't have seen that from Dan I don't believe. Going forward ... I think that can be a very good thing. We'll see.

ETA: I'm not saying KY is not good cause they are. IMO they are probably the best D we have faced overall. But if we show up with our A game ... we'll beat em.

LC Dawg
10-30-2018, 10:18 PM

The SEC team we just beat almost beat the #2 team in the nation.
I'll put the top 6, maybe 7, teams in the SEC against anyone else in the nation.
Clemson? Maybe. Michigan? Nah. Notre Dame? Hell no.
Look at the top 10 and tell me which teams can't be beat by the top 6 teams in the SEC.

BrunswickDawg
10-30-2018, 10:27 PM
The SEC team we just beat almost beat the #2 team in the nation.
I'll put the top 6, maybe 7, teams in the SEC against anyone else in the nation.
Clemson? Maybe. Michigan? Nah. Notre Dame? Hell no.
Look at the top 10 and tell me which teams can't be beat by the top 6 teams in the SEC.

Top 7? Hell, Vandy gave Notre Dame all they could handle on their own field. ND needed 3 Vandy turnovers to beat them.

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Top 7? Hell, Vandy gave Notre Dame all they could handle on their own field. ND needed 3 Vandy turnovers to beat them.

If ND makes playoff they'll get smoked by whoever they play in 1st game most likely. I'm talking a beat down.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2018, 10:32 PM
If ND makes playoff they'll get smoked by whoever they play in 1st game most likely. I'm talking a beat down.

You right. Heck Vandy should've beat them.

Matty Dispatch
10-31-2018, 06:20 AM

It's hard to imagine Mullen losing to KY and FL this year because he would've stuck to the run game. What he did with the Florida roster against KY has no real correlation to what he would've done with the MSU roster vs. KY.

We would most likely be 7-1. But for sure losing to Bama. It would've been cool to be a top 10 team for that game in essentially a SEC West championship game but we would have been beaten badly so what's the difference in the end. I just with JoMo would've beaten Mullen. Kentucky, LSU, Auburn or A&M - lose any or all of them but why couldn't we just beat Florida. Still burns.

gravedigger
10-31-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm glad somebody else has this same thought. One year has nothing to do with the next year in any sport and especially college football

And there are some that cannot grasp that point.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2018, 08:16 AM
It's hard to imagine Mullen losing to KY and FL this year because he would've stuck to the run game. What he did with the Florida roster against KY has no real correlation to what he would've done with the MSU roster vs. KY.

We would most likely be 7-1. But for sure losing to Bama. It would've been cool to be a top 10 team for that game in essentially a SEC West championship game but we would have been beaten badly so what's the difference in the end. I just with JoMo would've beaten Mullen. Kentucky, LSU, Auburn or A&M - lose any or all of them but why couldn't we just beat Florida. Still burns.

The thing about the 3 losses is that those teams played the same strategy on us that every top level defense has done the past 10 years - if you force us into passing, you will beat us. They would have employed that same strategy against Mullen because our weakness is in the passing game. That's how UGA and AU beat us last year. Now, you can argue that Mullen might have been able to scheme something to get the offense going - but he never proved to be able to against any other top flight defense, so why would that have changed this year? "Dan would have RTDFB!!!" Well, Dan RTDFB 37 times against UGA last year and lost; ran 47 times against AU and lost - and both those teams forced us into passing when it mattered and shut us down. And whether we want to believe it or not - Kentucky and LSU's defenses - to date - are performing at an elite level, and UF is performing at a very high level. That makes me believe that we probably drop 2 of those 3 regardless of who is coach because of our personnel and our opponents strategy.

gravedigger
10-31-2018, 08:17 AM

When the hire of Moorhead proves to be the best in our school?s history, and it will, I will not expect you to have the personal integrity to admit it. Or the sports knowledge to understand why.

dawgday166
10-31-2018, 08:35 AM
The thing about the 3 losses is that those teams played the same strategy on us that every top level defense has done the past 10 years - if you force us into passing, you will beat us. They would have employed that same strategy against Mullen because our weakness is in the passing game. That's how UGA and AU beat us last year. Now, you can argue that Mullen might have been able to scheme something to get the offense going - but he never proved to be able to against any other top flight defense, so why would that have changed this year? "Dan would have RTDFB!!!" Well, Dan RTDFB 37 times against UGA last year and lost; ran 47 times against AU and lost - and both those teams forced us into passing when it mattered and shut us down. And whether we want to believe it or not - Kentucky and LSU's defenses - to date - are performing at an elite level, and UF is performing at a very high level. That makes me believe that we probably drop 2 of those 3 regardless of who is coach because of our personnel and our opponents strategy.

You and I agree a good bit but ... only 1 front 7 this year was as stout as GA & AU last year, and that was AU this year. We could've run on everyone else, as long as we made them defend width of field too.

LC Dawg
10-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Dan Mullen won more than 8 regular season games once at Mississippi State. He had one winning record in the SEC. He won one game at LSU and he almost blew that. His lost the last MSU game he coached at Kentucky. He rarely beat teams that were ranked at the end of the year.
The "guarantees" of Mississippi State being 8-0 or 7-1 with him as coach this year are comical. It may have happened but his coaching history says otherwise.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2018, 09:14 AM
You and I agree a good bit but ... only 1 front 7 this year was as stout as GA & AU last year, and that was AU this year. We could've run on everyone else, as long as we made them defend width of field too.

So Kentucky - who is leading the country in scoring defense, and has only given up 12.3 ppg in conference play doesn't have an elite defense this year? It doesn't matter if their front 7 isn't as strong as AU's. Kentucky successfully forced us into passing situations which is the best way to beat MSU. Period. Now, I do agree that Moorhead's play calling exacerbated the situation at Kentucky. However, when you start every drive 1st and 15 or 2 and 20 all night due to the combination of penalties and an LT who missed every single block all night you are forced into down and distance and passing. A tried and true formula for us to lose.

The problem is, Dan used to do the same thing. How many times over the years would we start out throwing, and throwing, and this board would freak out. Then because we were 3 and out 2 straight series we were quickly down 14 points? Then Dan would start running the ball to grind the clock, keep it close and pack up and go home? I could totally see Danny Two Gloves grinning on the sideline in Lexington and doing the same damn thing - because like or not, Kentucky came out and punched us in the mouth and Dan would have turtled up like he always did when he got punched. I can even see the post-game presser in my head - because we saw it so many times in 9 years - "Meh, I feel like our offense did ok. We just need to execute better on defense, strain a little more against these strong SEC teams and improve all 3 phases of the game."

And LSU? At LSU? At night? Against a Top 10 defense? Ole' Grinning Dan would show up there too. He did all but 1 year in 4 trips to Red Stick. Play conservative. Play not to lose. Take the L and head back to Vegas.

That gets me down to UF. To me, that is the only real question mark about WWDMD. We really don't know because we have no idea who their coach would be. But, keep in mind that the Seniors on that team have won 2 SEC East Titles, and any new coach would have had them playing better than the team that had a dozen players suspended and quit on their coach last year.

msstate7
10-31-2018, 09:20 AM
So Kentucky - who is leading the country in scoring defense, and has only given up 12.3 ppg in conference play doesn't have an elite defense this year? It doesn't matter if their front 7 isn't as strong as AU's. Kentucky successfully forced us into passing situations which is the best way to beat MSU. Period. Now, I do agree that Moorhead's play calling exacerbated the situation at Kentucky. However, when you start every drive 1st and 15 or 2 and 20 all night due to the combination of penalties and an LT who missed every single block all night you are forced into down and distance and passing. A tried and true formula for us to lose.

The problem is, Dan used to do the same thing. How many times over the years would we start out throwing, and throwing, and this board would freak out. Then because we were 3 and out 2 straight series we were quickly down 14 points? Then Dan would start running the ball to grind the clock, keep it close and pack up and go home? I could totally see Danny Two Gloves grinning on the sideline in Lexington and doing the same damn thing - because like or not, Kentucky came out and punched us in the mouth and Dan would have turtled up like he always did when he got punched. I can even see the post-game presser in my head - because we saw it so many times in 9 years - "Meh, I feel like our offense did ok. We just need to execute better on defense, strain a little more against these strong SEC teams and improve all 3 phases of the game."

And LSU? At LSU? At night? Against a Top 10 defense? Ole' Grinning Dan would show up there too. He did all but 1 year in 4 trips to Red Stick. Play conservative. Play not to lose. Take the L and head back to Vegas.

That gets me down to UF. To me, that is the only real question mark about WWDMD. We really don't know because we have no idea who their coach would be. But, keep in mind that the Seniors on that team have won 2 SEC East Titles, and any new coach would have had them playing better than the team that had a dozen players suspended and quit on their coach last year.

Waiting till the very last second to snap the ball only hurt eiland. We never ran right at Allen. We never gave eiland help. We never ran a screen on Allen's side. We never ran zone read off him. Moorhead was beyond awful that game. Moorhead has since called some good games vs auburn and aTm, but Kentucky was straight up Croom level

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2018, 09:54 AM
Waiting till the very last second to snap the ball only hurt eiland. We never ran right at Allen. We never gave eiland help. We never ran a screen on Allen's side. We never ran zone read off him. Moorhead was beyond awful that game. Moorhead has since called some good games vs auburn and aTm, but Kentucky was straight up Croom level

I agree with all of that. My point was that Dan had inexplicable games like that too, usually against strong defenses, and there is just no guarantee we don't still lose those games.
I think the good sign is we have seen each of those issues cleared up and the team seems to be in sync again.

The very good thing about it is that the CFB looks at those loses as "not bad" - which is why we are #18, and in a position to possibly finish as a Top 15 team - Top 20 at worst. For a school that hasn't finished in the Top 20 in back-to-back seasons since my granddad was killing Nazi's - I'll take it.

JoseBrown
10-31-2018, 10:19 AM
The very good thing about it is that the CFB looks at those loses as "not bad" - which is why we are #18, and in a position to possibly finish as a Top 15 team - Top 20 at worst. For a school that hasn't finished in the Top 20 in back-to-back seasons since my granddad was killing Nazi's - I'll take it.

Here Here! And this after a coaching change, to a coach new to D1 head coaching, new to SEC coaching, new to SEC recruiting and new to SEC at all. Not what I was hoping for, but all things considered I'll take it. Now I have hope we can build off of it too.

gravedigger
10-31-2018, 10:36 AM

yet another indication you have little to no understanding of the game. Dear God, man. We have 7 teams in the top 25 and that is the most of any conference by a half.

TrapGame
10-31-2018, 11:05 AM

I really think Moorhead thought the Kentucky game was going to be like K State. He was shell-shocked when Kentucky's defense was a lot better than he thought it was. We also had two horrific drops in that game that would have a) kept a long drive going b) put us deep in the red zone to possibly go ahead of UK late in the 3rd quarter.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2018, 11:12 AM
yet another indication you have little to no understanding of the game. Dear God, man. We have 7 teams in the top 25 and that is the most of any conference by a half.

Exactly. I really believe some folks only watch us play and have no reference to teams in the rest of the country. The SEC is incredibly deep,brutal and physical when compared to every other conference. The committee knows this and that's why we have so many teams in the top 25.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2018, 11:23 AM
FACT: The three teams that beat us are all really good football teams. They are all much better than they were last year. I don't know why that is so hard for some of you to accept.

DancingRabbit
10-31-2018, 11:29 AM
I really think Moorhead thought the Kentucky game was going to be like K State. He was shell-shocked when Kentucky's defense was a lot better than he thought it was. We also had two horrific drops in that game that would have a) kept a long drive going b) put us deep in the red zone to possibly go ahead of UK late in the 3rd quarter.

Not to mention the refs. We haven't been hosed that bad since the Mountain West officials visited Starkville.

TrapGame
10-31-2018, 11:54 AM
Not to mention the refs. We haven't been hosed that bad since the Mountain West officials visited Starkville.

Yeah, that roughing the passer call that set up their first td was a total crock.

dawgday166
10-31-2018, 11:56 AM
I agree with all of that. My point was that Dan had inexplicable games like that too, usually against strong defenses, and there is just no guarantee we don't still lose those games.
I think the good sign is we have seen each of those issues cleared up and the team seems to be in sync again.

I think Dan would've flubbed Ky by overlooking them. Then righted the ship and won out to Bama game from there. We'd by 8-1 going into Bama game IMO. Moorhead had a little more figuring out to do.

Ky is the best D we've played but if we show up with our A game ... we beat them everytime IMO.