PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Bryant

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2018, 11:00 AM
May have missed it, but haven't seen a mention of the Kelly Bryant developments. According to Steve and Kelly Bryant himself we've been in contact and he'd like to take a visit. Be great for him to visit against Arkansas and watch us light that defense up since I feel they'd be our main competition for him. In no way saying we get him, but it's fun to be mentioned with a QB of that caliber.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2018, 11:04 AM
He is going to a P5, close to home and will start day one. With that being said Ole Miss is going to throw some money at him.

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 11:10 AM
He lost his job to a true frosh at Clemson. He comes off as a tee tee bitch. I don't think it's a good idea to pursue this dude. It could backfire big time.

HoopsDawg
10-30-2018, 11:15 AM
He lost his job to a true frosh at Clemson. He comes off as a tee tee bitch. I don't think it's a good idea to pursue this dude. It could backfire big time.

That True Freshman is special. Future #1 overall pick in my opinion.

Coach007
10-30-2018, 11:17 AM

I don't have a problem with a kid who knows he will never start treating it as a business decision. I don't see how people could have a problem with that. He has massive talent and in order to make the next step in his career, he has to be seen. He has to prove himself.

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2018, 11:20 AM
I don't have a problem with a kid who knows he will never start treating it as a business decision. I don't see how people could have a problem with that. He has massive talent and in order to make the next step in his career, he has to be seen. He has to prove himself.

If he comes in with an attitude of "I want to be given the job" then I agree it could become a problem. But if he wants to come in and earn the starting job then sign him up. He was in a bad situation at Clemson because Lawrence is a once in a generation QB. So I don't really blame him for transferring

thf24
10-30-2018, 11:20 AM

Also, his numbers suggest that he simply isn't that good... 65.8% completions last year, but 13/8 TD/INT and only 7.04 yards/attempt. That suggests to me he completes a lot of passes due to playoff team talent around him but isn't great at making plays or throwing the ball down field (against the weak schedule Clemson plays). Doesn't seem to be a good fit for Joe's offense at all based on what we've seen it takes this year.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2018, 11:22 AM

If he had massive talent, he would still be starting. He's only been a full time starter one season. We aren't going to get him either.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 11:27 AM

A true frosh who was the OVERALL #1 player last year regardless of position. Bryant is good and is a good fit for JoMo’s offense. Not sure what you guys are sniffing but if we were to land him he immediately would make us better.

thf24
10-30-2018, 11:33 AM
A true frosh who was the OVERALL #1 player last year regardless of position. Bryant is good and is a good fit for JoMo’s offense. Not sure what you guys are sniffing but if we were to land him he immediately would make us better.

What makes him a good fit for Joe's offense? Not refuting, just curious. I haven't seen him play much, but his stat line from last year says that he struggles with decision-making and completing long passes; precisely what we've been blowing Fitz up about until last weekend.

Dawg61
10-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Also, his numbers suggest that he simply isn't that good... 65.8% completions last year, but 13/8 TD/INT and only 7.04 yards/attempt. That suggests to me he completes a lot of passes due to playoff team talent around him but isn't great at making plays or throwing the ball down field (against the weak schedule Clemson plays). Doesn't seem to be a good fit for Joe's offense at all based on what we've seen it takes this year.

Looks like a perfect fit to me. Here's his two starts this year.

11 for 17 for 130 yards and 1 td with 44 rushing on 5 carries and another td.
12 for 17 for 205 yards and 1 td with 54 rushing on 15 carries and another td.

He's 14-2 as a starter. He has great completion % numbers so he's very accurate and he's a threat running the ball with over 600 yards rushing last year and 11 tds. He threw for 2,800 yards last year as well. We'd be fools not to take Bryant if he wants to come here. It's a risk worth taking because if he shows out in Moorhead's offense then there will be a lot more QBs suddenly interested in coming to State. We might lose a backup or two but I think it's worth the shot. Bryant is a proven winner.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3728240/year/2017/kelly-bryant

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2018, 11:41 AM
What makes him a good fit for Joe's offense? Not refuting, just curious. I haven't seen him play much, but his stat line from last year says that he struggles with decision-making and completing long passes; precisely what we've been blowing Fitz up about until last weekend.

His decision making is much better, not saying he's Trevor Lawrence or Tua, but he's an immediate upgrade over any other QB on the roster

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 11:49 AM
He looks fine throwing the deep ball to me and looks fine making quick decisions and going through his progressions and seeing the whole field. Sometimes you guys just talk out of your ass just to do it.

https://youtu.be/BbLow9JbSDc

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 11:55 AM
His decision making is much better, not saying he's Trevor Lawrence or Tua, but he's an immediate upgrade over any other QB on the roster

Bryant was a better QB right now then Lawrence but Dabo went with Lawrence for the future so he wouldn’t transfer next year. Pretty obvious why that happened. Go with Lawrence now and he will be hitting his stride by the end of the year. The guy was the number 1 overall player in his recruiting class. By next year, Lawrence will be better then Tua. Not sure why people are dogging Bryant because he lost his job to a once in a generation QB. It’s like losing the gig to Peyton Manning and yes Lawrence is that good.

thf24
10-30-2018, 11:57 AM
He looks fine throwing the deep ball to me and looks fine making quick decisions and going through his progressions and seeing the whole field. Sometimes you guys just talk out of your ass just to do it.

https://youtu.be/BbLow9JbSDc

Maybe I'm making too much out of the stats; 13/8 and 7.04 ypa despite that high of a completion percentage just seems like too much of a red flag to be insignificant to me. Still, he's obviously a winner and I don't think anyone's saying we should turn him away if he wants to come here.

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 11:58 AM
What really sticks out is this tells you what Joe thinks about our current QB roster. Key's had more time in the system than any other QB and they're reaching out to Kelly Bryant. And some of y'all are acting like this is a LEGO piece that just needs to be snapped in place and we'll be alright. I'm not seeing that.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Maybe I'm making too much out of the stats; 13/8 and 7.04 ypa despite that high of a completion percentage just seems like too much of a red flag to be insignificant to me. Still, he's obviously a winner and I don't think anyone's saying we should turn him away if he wants to come here.

He had the best talent in the acc surrounding him, and he didn't have to face the best defense in the acc. Against bama, he was 18/36 124 yds 0 td 2 int.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Did you see him throwing the deep ball in those highlights? He hit his receivers in stride and on time. The ypa could also be a proponent of what Clemson’s offense is trying to do. He threw for almost 3K yards last year and one of his losses as a starter was because he was injured against Syracuse early and they lost because of it. He would be a great addition imo if we got him and would make us much better as a team.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:09 PM
He had the best talent in the acc surrounding him, and he didn't have to face the best defense in the acc. Against bama, he was 18/36 124 yds 0 td 2 int.

Yeah, let’s judge him against a Jeremy Pruitt defense that basically got all of their players back from injury because they lost to Auburn and were able to rest and not play in a championship game. You do realize when we played Bama they were down to their 4th and 5th string linebackers which is why we were able to move the ball on them.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:10 PM
What really sticks out is this tells you what Joe thinks about our current QB roster. Key's had more time in the system than any other QB and they're reaching out to Kelly Bryant. And some of y'all are acting like this is a LEGO piece that just needs to be snapped in place and we'll be alright. I'm not seeing that.

If you have a chance at a difference maker at QB that fits your style, you go for it. Not blaming the coaching staff at all.

BiscuitEater
10-30-2018, 12:12 PM

Bryant waited patently as the #2 behind Deshawn Watson. When it was his turn, he led his team to the CFB playoffs and was 16-2 as the starter. He completed 66.7 percent of his passes for two touchdowns and one interception in four games this season. He's just looking for a place to play one year. Please explain how he 'comes off as a tee tee bitch.' From what I have read, he just wants to go somewhere and be given a shot to contribute.

MSU may not be the best fit for him BUT it's up to Bryant, the team and OUR coaches to figure that out .. Not us.

msudawglb
10-30-2018, 12:12 PM

I doubt we have a chance, but we would be crazy to not go after him. Right now, we are 4 games away from having Thompson who's played about 3 full games, Mayden who's played about 6 snaps, and a true Freshman as options.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Fromm didn’t do much better: 16/32 232 1 TD 2 INT...your point?

msstate7
10-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Yeah, let’s judge him against a Jeremy Pruitt defense that basically got all of their players back from injury because they lost to Auburn and were able to rest and not play in a championship game. You do realize when we played Bama they were down to their 4th and 5th string linebackers which is why we were able to move the ball on them.

If he had the exact same rating (131.73) as last season in the sec, he would've been 7th in the sec. Now keep in mind that Bryant was surrounded by the best talent in the acc last season and he didn't have to face Clemson. Imagine if Bryant had our WRs and had to face LSU, auburn, bama, etc. If our staff sees key and mayden as hopeless, I have no problem rolling the dice on Bryant. With that said, he ain't tipping the scales our way next year

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Bryant waited patently as the #2 behind Deshawn Watson. When it was his turn, he led his team to the CFB playoffs and was 16-2 as the starter. He completed 66.7 percent of his passes for two touchdowns and one interception in four games this season. He's just looking for a place to play one year. Please explain how he 'comes off as a tee tee bitch.' From what I have read, he just wants to go somewhere and be given a shot to contribute.

MSU may not be the best fit for him BUT it's up to Bryant, the team and OUR coaches to figure that out .. Not us.

From the optics that's what it looks like.

Jesus Christ, some of y'all have lost your damn minds. Half those defenses he faced were SHIT. Y'all all talk about SEC and Big Boy Ball and when a half way decent ACC QB comes on the radar y'all act like he'd be a baller day one with us.

Most of the people on here praising this guy would be the first ones chastising him when he gets lit up by a SEC defense.

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 12:26 PM
If he had the exact same rating (131.73) as last season in the sec, he would've been 7th in the sec. Now keep in mind that Bryant was surrounded by the best talent in the acc last season and he didn't have to face Clemson. Imagine if Bryant had our WRs and had to face LSU, auburn, bama, etc. If our staff sees key and mayden as hopeless, I have no problem rolling the dice on Bryant. With that said, he ain't tipping the scales our way next year

This is what gets me. We do not have a QB on the roster that can remotely run Joe's offense. Yet, we might get a grad transfer that is supposed to pick it all up. If we did get KB I'd support him 100% as a player but it makes me just wonder about the future of the program and Joe's offense. What happens when KB is gone? Will Schrader be ready?

HoopsDawg
10-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Jesus Christ, some of y'all have lost your damn minds. Half those defenses he faced were SHIT. Y'all all talk about SEC and Big Boy Ball and when a half way decent ACC QB comes on the radar y'all act like he'd be a baller day one with us.

Most of the people on here praising this guy would be the first ones chastising him when he gets lit up by a SEC defense.

So you feel better about our current options over Bryant? That's fine, but I would prefer Bryant. I think it would be a great fit.

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2018, 12:29 PM
This is what gets me. We do not have a QB on the roster that can remotely run Joe's offense. Yet, we might get a grad transfer that is supposed to pick it all up. If we did get KB I'd support him 100% as a player but it makes me just wonder about the future of the program and Joe's offense. What happens when KB is gone? Will Schrader be ready?

I have to believe that's why we're going after Bryant. Maybe he thinks Schrader can be ready by year 2, but doesn't want to throw him into the fire Year 1. And also, Bryant is one of the top two transfers out there. Why not throw our hat into the ring. He at least seems receptive to the idea right now.

Johnson85
10-30-2018, 12:30 PM

This is what I'm thinking too.

On the flip side, this is basically just recruiting, and you don't stop recruiting good players just because you have somebody else at the position you like. You never know when there will be an injury or when someone new will just ball out. But if we're really pursuing him hard, I'm concerned it's because they aren't confident Key can be ready.

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 12:30 PM
So you feel better about our current options over Bryant? That's fine, but I would prefer Bryant. I think it would be a great fit.

That's what I'm saying. We do not have a QB that can run Joe's offense. That's frightening. Will KB be the answer? I doubt we even get him.

Hell, will Trace McSorely be eligible to grad transfer after this year? (I kinda want to put these *** up but I'm sorta serious.)

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Well you’re already getting a head start on bashing him so there’s that.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Quick question, how long did it take for Chad Kelly to pick up Hugh Freeze’s offense when he came in in 2015? That seemed to work out pretty well to a Sugar Bowl Win. Why can’t Moorhead do the same thing with Bryant without having idiot fans question it?

msstate7
10-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Quick question, how long did it take for Chad Kelly to pick up Hugh Freeze’s offense when he came in in 2015? That seemed to work out pretty well to a Sugar Bowl Win. Why can’t Moorhead do the same thing with Bryant without having idiot fans question it?
Why so mad? Everyone doesn't agree. You think Bryant is the 2nd coming, and some of us just think he's so so. It's ok to disagree

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-30-2018, 12:45 PM

Good point. Getting a highly touted and covered grad transfer QB who expects to star, and then NOT playing him, would cause locker room distractions, drama, and bad media attention. You only go after Bryant if you're pretty confident he's better than what you have, ala Burrow, Stidham, Minshew, etc.

So, if JoMo really wants Bryant (who isn't that good of a passer, very inaccurate downfield and he's like Fitz in that he doesn't always see the open guy), then that says a lot about Key, Mayden and what he expects early on from Shrader. Key will be a Jr and in his 2nd full season in this O, if he doesn't have it by then (understanding of the O and more accurate passing) then he's probably not every going to get it.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Why so mad? Everyone doesn't agree. You think Bryant is the 2nd coming, and some of us just think he's so so. It's ok to disagree

I don’t think he’s the second coming but he would be a great stop gap and would allow us to redshirt Shrader which imo would be huge for us and the long term success of the program.

MarketingBully
10-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Good point. Getting a highly touted and covered grad transfer QB who expects to star, and then NOT playing him, would cause locker room distractions, drama, and bad media attention. You only go after Bryant if you're pretty confident he's better than what you have, ala Burrow, Stidham, Minshew, etc.

So, if JoMo really wants Bryant (who isn't that good of a passer, very inaccurate downfield and he's like Fitz in that he doesn't always see the open guy), then that says a lot about Key, Mayden and what he expects early on from Shrader. Key will be a Jr and in his 2nd full season in this O, if he doesn't have it by then (understanding of the O and more accurate passing) then he's probably not every going to get it.

Why make shit up when I’ve proven this false already with the YT video above? These statements below are just completely false:

Who isn't that good of a passer, very inaccurate downfield and he's like Fitz in that he doesn't always see the open guy

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Well you’re already getting a head start on bashing him so there’s that.

Being a little critical is not bashing. Evidently you have a bromance.

thf24
10-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Why make shit up when I?ve proven this false already with the YT video above? These statements below are just completely false:

Who isn't that good of a passer, very inaccurate downfield and he's like Fitz in that he doesn't always see the open guy

I haven't had a chance to watch the video, but how many of these deep passes does he hit in it? If someone were to sit down today and put together a career highlight video for Fitz, I'm sure they could find at least 7-8 absolutely beautiful deep throws and catches to include, but we all know that wouldn't tell the real story on his overall performance to a passer to that point.

7.04 yards per attempt in 2017 is not great, that's a fact. Yes, this can be somewhat explained if Clemson typically throws a bunch of quick outs and screens (I don't know what they try to do), but regardless of the reasons, he can't be completing a bunch of deep shots game in and game out and get that number. Then factor in 13 touchdowns to 8 interceptions; those aren't numbers a great passer surrounded by a playoff team playing a bunch of terrible defenses over the course of a season puts up. Something doesn't add up with a supposedly great, playmaking, instant impact QB putting up this combination of production.

Yes, it's idiotic to oppose bringing him in if he wants to come here given what our QB situation could look like next year, and I think he'd stand a great chance of doing at least as well as Fitz has for us this year. But it's also idiotic to assume it's a foregone conclusion he'd be a perfect fit for our offense based on the full body of evidence available, and it's not unreasonable to debate that.

deadheaddawg
10-30-2018, 01:15 PM
We have so many stupid fans. lol at any one of you thinking you know better than Moorhead about this. You work in a cubicle and not on a sideline for a reason.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 01:19 PM
We have so many stupid fans. lol at any one of you thinking you know better than Moorhead about this. You work in a cubicle and not on a sideline for a reason.

Then shut the message board down. With your reasoning, no coach should ever be questioned.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Do I think Bryant is a difference maker? No. The question then becomes how much better will he be than KT & is that 1yr gap significant enough than what KT would be in 2020. If Bryant came id expect KT to transfer. Now I think this is all talk because I don't Bryant is coming here & will be surprised if a visit ever takes place. We need KT to keep working & be the guy the next 2 years.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Do I think Bryant is a difference maker? No. The question then becomes how much better will he be than KT & is that 1yr gap significant enough than what KT would be in 2020. If Bryant came id expect KT to transfer. Now I think this is all talk because I don't Bryant is coming here & will be surprised if a visit ever takes place. We need KT to keep working & be the guy the next 2 years.

If he isn't a difference marker, why not just roll with key/mayden/shrader and let the winner improve with experience?

deadheaddawg
10-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Then shut the message board down. With your reasoning, no coach should ever be questioned.

Questioning play calling is one thing. Acting like you can evaluate QB talent better than Dabo and Moorhead based on a stat line and a YouTube video is just flat out stupid.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2018, 01:36 PM
If he isn't a difference marker, why not just roll with key/mayden/shrader and let the winner improve with experience?

Because I do think he'd prolly be better but the question is how much. Is it 1 game better? 2? 3? What level above our guys does he have to be to make it worth it? Again I think it's all just a waste of time but it gives us something to talk about during a slow non conference game week.

Dawg61
10-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Quick question, how long did it take for Chad Kelly to pick up Hugh Freeze?s offense when he came in in 2015? That seemed to work out pretty well to a Sugar Bowl Win. Why can?t Moorhead do the same thing with Bryant without having idiot fans question it?

Well to be fair Hugh Freezus offense was just bubble screens and fly patterns. Treadwell learned the offense in 1 hour and then didn't learn a single other thing while at OM.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 02:12 PM
To be fair, QBR had Bryant #17 last year, which is higher than I expected

Dawg61
10-30-2018, 02:19 PM
To be fair, QBR had Bryant #17 last year, which is higher than I expected

Bryant had eleven games last year with a higher than 65% completion rate.

louisvilledawg
10-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Bryant had eleven games last year with a higher than 65% completion rate.

Which is great, but he was also throwing to a 5*, two 4*, and the greatest gym rat ever in Hunter Renfrow.

AROB44
10-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Would like to hear what you think of Mayden?.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Would like to hear what you think of Mayden?.

I've heard he throws a good ball & I know he has some good athleticism. I don't know if I want him starting next year.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Dude. Please.

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 03:11 PM
Dude. Please.

We have progressed the discussion beyond that one post. Dude, please.

Dawgology
10-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Which is great, but he was also throwing to a 5*, two 4*, and the greatest gym rat ever in Hunter Renfrow.

But is he a 5 tool player??

Johnson85
10-30-2018, 03:37 PM
Because I do think he'd prolly be better but the question is how much. Is it 1 game better? 2? 3? What level above our guys does he have to be to make it worth it? Again I think it's all just a waste of time but it gives us something to talk about during a slow non conference game week.

Really depends on whether we expect Key to beat out Mayden or Schrader, and by how much, when he's a senior. If coaches don't think he'll be much better than a RS FR Schrader or RS So (I think?) Mayden, then I think you go after Bryant if you think he's the difference in one win. If you expect Key to be pretty solid as a JR and SR and only think Bryant would be an improvement because Bryant is really good and not because Key is struggling, then maybe it needs to be two or even three wins to be worth it.

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 03:44 PM
What kind of offense is Clemson running? Is it comparable to Joe's?

StarkVegasSteve
10-30-2018, 03:45 PM

I thinks he gives us the ability to compete. Right now I don't know if we've got a QB on the roster that we can be competitive with next year and I think our coaches recognize that or there wouldn't be any contact with him. Right now to me at least, the game against conference opponents looks about 2-3 steps too fast for KT. Maybe that changes with an offseason. But if we don't get Bryant I wouldn't be surprised to see it come down to Mayden and Schrader in Fall Camp 19

Todd4State
10-30-2018, 03:46 PM
The fact that some of our coaches are following him on Twitter tells me that there is some interest on our part.

Losing three games has put a lot of pressure on Joe to win quickly. If he thinks that Bryant can come in and pick up the offense quickly and get us on track I am for it. It's about bringing in the best players and giving yourself a chance to win. It would also give Key another year to adjust to this offense and let's be honest he didn't look great against A&M in the three snaps he played. Of course, we will see how he looks going forward.

I do like the fact that even though he was at Clemson he has played against SEC competition- at Auburn, at A&M, and Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2018, 03:53 PM
I thinks he gives us the ability to compete. Right now I don't know if we've got a QB on the roster that we can be competitive with next year and I think our coaches recognize that or there wouldn't be any contact with him. Right now to me at least, the game against conference opponents looks about 2-3 steps too fast for KT. Maybe that changes with an offseason. But if we don't get Bryant I wouldn't be surprised to see it come down to Mayden and Schrader in Fall Camp 19

That may be true but we've only seen KT as a true freshman cold after a horrific injury to your starter where he moved the ball really well but had terrible ball security & 3 plays against A&M. That's really not a fair sample size to say if he looks 2-3 steps to slow. Actually all things considered he played well against OM his ball security just stunk. 13/27 195yds 1td 1int 26 carries 121yds 1td. I don't the speed of the game will be an issue. The key for KT or any other QB who starts will be accuracy especially on the deep ball. We can live with our QB completing 55-60% of their passes as long as they can hit their fair share of 1 on 1 deep shots. That's what made McSorley so good in his 1st year JoeMo. He only completed 57% of his passes but made the most of his deep shots.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 03:55 PM
We have progressed the discussion beyond that one post. Dude, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJhPLGMhRuQ

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 03:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJhPLGMhRuQ

LOL! I love that episode!

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 04:05 PM
The fact that some of our coaches are following him on Twitter tells me that there is some interest on our part.

Losing three games has put a lot of pressure on Joe to win quickly. If he thinks that Bryant can come in and pick up the offense quickly and get us on track I am for it. It's about bringing in the best players and giving yourself a chance to win. It would also give Key another year to adjust to this offense and let's be honest he didn't look great against A&M in the three snaps he played. Of course, we will see how he looks going forward.

I do like the fact that even though he was at Clemson he has played against SEC competition- at Auburn, at A&M, and Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

That's it right there. Joe wants to make this work. I'd admire his determination. And it may take someone like KB.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 04:12 PM
LOL! I love that episode!"

One of my favorites as well Trap. Good to see you have a good sense of humor. All good "Dude".

TrapGame
10-30-2018, 05:04 PM
"

One of my favorites as well Trap. Good to see you have a good sense of humor. All good "Dude".

I love South Park. Oh, yeah, all good here.

Pit Bull
10-30-2018, 05:47 PM

That freshman may be the best QB in college football right now.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 05:57 PM

Trap's apologized. He even apologized to Jessie Jackson. all good.

War Machine Dawg
10-30-2018, 07:35 PM
I say hard pass. He's got the same question marks in the passing game that Fitz, KT and Moose all have. As many fans as we have who think Fitz can't read a D or pass, Bryant is similar to Fitz with a weaker arm. I don't see him having the football IQ to run Moorhead's offense. Plus we're going to suck next year pretty much no matter who the QB is with what we're losing. Unless you believe Bryant is Cam Newton and capable of elevating your team from average or slightly below average to a championship contender, I don't think he's worth it.

I do see the appeal of KB from an intangibles perspective. Going to a national championship game twice means something. He knows what it takes to win big and how hard you have to work to get there. That's the kind of thing you would hope rubs off on the rest of the team.

That said, I'd rather roll with KT or Moose. They're the highest rated QBs we've ever signed. We really need to know if one of them can be the QB in this offense. It's not worth torching the QB depth chart for a QB who isn't a significant upgrade, imo.

And I say that as a fan of KB. I think Dabo gave him a little bit of a raw deal this year. That said, Dabo is all about winning. And Dabo thought a true freshman was more advanced as a passer, the missing piece in the offense, and sat KB. It's definitely a tough call for our coaches, but if it were me, I'd stand pat.

yjnkdawg
10-30-2018, 07:58 PM

That is probably the scenario that is going to happen

TUSK
10-30-2018, 11:06 PM

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/cartoon-evil-red-fish-looking-worm-fishing-hook-wants-to-eat-illustrations-printed-materials-backgrounds-77670569.jpg

BhamDawg205
10-30-2018, 11:28 PM
That may be true but we've only seen KT as a true freshman cold after a horrific injury to your starter where he moved the ball really well but had terrible ball security & 3 plays against A&M. That's really not a fair sample size to say if he looks 2-3 steps to slow. Actually all things considered he played well against OM his ball security just stunk. 13/27 195yds 1td 1int 26 carries 121yds 1td. I don't the speed of the game will be an issue. The key for KT or any other QB who starts will be accuracy especially on the deep ball. We can live with our QB completing 55-60% of their passes as long as they can hit their fair share of 1 on 1 deep shots. That's what made McSorley so good in his 1st year JoeMo. He only completed 57% of his passes but made the most of his deep shots.

Agree ppl are projecting Key's potential on a limited sample size. When he started he's won that's good enough to gain garner hope for the future. Some are looking at Kelly sweepstakes like the loto, win and we set for life. But how does 17ing over Key hurt our fragile recruiting pipeline into Louisiana? If the coaches were planning on entering Kelly sweepstakes, why burn this kid opportunity to red shirt?

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2018, 12:26 AM
If he comes in with an attitude of "I want to be given the job" then I agree it could become a problem. But if he wants to come in and earn the starting job then sign him up. He was in a bad situation at Clemson because Lawrence is a once in a generation QB. So I don't really blame him for transferring

Lawrence is not a once in a generation qb. Is he good, yeah but he is not on level with Tua or Johnny Football types. Hell I would take Tua, dude at OK, and JFootball over that dude.

Todd4State
10-31-2018, 01:42 AM
Agree ppl are projecting Key's potential on a limited sample size. When he started he's won that's good enough to gain garner hope for the future. Some are looking at Kelly sweepstakes like the loto, win and we set for life. But how does 17ing over Key hurt our fragile recruiting pipeline into Louisiana? If the coaches were planning on entering Kelly sweepstakes, why burn this kid opportunity to red shirt?

At the same time we have to trust our coaches because until we are seeing Holloway/Aeris situations they have to get the benefit of the doubt since they see him in practice. Key did fine with Dan's offense and I think he did OK against Stephen F Austin. But again- the coaches are following Bryant for a reason.

If Key doesn't work out next year- we're starting a freshman at QB. And maybe Shrader turns out to be Joe's John Bond as a freshman but that's really risky.

BhamDawg205
10-31-2018, 02:31 AM
At the same time we have to trust our coaches because until we are seeing Holloway/Aeris situations they have to get the benefit of the doubt since they see him in practice. Key did fine with Dan's offense and I think he did OK against Stephen F Austin. But again- the coaches are following Bryant for a reason.

If Key doesn't work out next year- we're starting a freshman at QB. And maybe Shrader turns out to be Joe's John Bond as a freshman but that's really risky.

Guess I'm saying Key gets his shot. If he's beaten out by Mayden or a true freshman so be it, it's from within. Now let's say we get him.... He has the same growing pains as Fitz, will the team stand behind him? Will JoMo be pressed to keep Kelly on the field? Our team will have enough growing pains next year. We have 2 QBs that will have a full year in this offense going in to spring. Honestly if we going after hired guns, focus should be on OL, WR, Safety etc....

dawgday166
10-31-2018, 06:35 AM

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/cartoon-evil-red-fish-looking-worm-fishing-hook-wants-to-eat-illustrations-printed-materials-backgrounds-77670569.jpg

Talk about a bit juicy bait on that hook ... LOL.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2018, 07:30 AM
Lawrence is not a once in a generation qb. Is he good, yeah but he is not on level with Tua or Johnny Football types. Hell I would take Tua, dude at OK, and JFootball over that dude.

Oh he's definitely a once in a decade or 2 type QB.

monroedawg5646
10-31-2018, 12:28 PM
If we were to make a push and actually get Kelly, when would the transfer happen? Would he participate in bowl practice?

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2018, 01:44 PM

This is true, people may not realize how good Lawrence is right now, but he'll be a top 5 pick in 3 years. He's got the measurables and he can make the throws. He wasn't the number 1 overall recruit in the country by accident.

deadheaddawg
10-31-2018, 09:29 PM

A generation is generally considered to only be 20 to 25 years, so that's close enough

HoopsDawg
10-31-2018, 09:55 PM

Ball speed: Patrick Mahomes, 55mph
Trevor Lawrence, 61.4 mph.

Todd4State
10-31-2018, 10:02 PM
Guess I'm saying Key gets his shot. If he's beaten out by Mayden or a true freshman so be it, it's from within. Now let's say we get him.... He has the same growing pains as Fitz, will the team stand behind him? Will JoMo be pressed to keep Kelly on the field? Our team will have enough growing pains next year. We have 2 QBs that will have a full year in this offense going in to spring. Honestly if we going after hired guns, focus should be on OL, WR, Safety etc....

What if the rumors about Key struggling to pick up the offense are true though? The good news is I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Key would transfer if we got Bryant because there will still be a year between them. Yes, maybe it happens but Joe's track record with QB's is pretty good other than Fitz.

Bully13
10-31-2018, 10:11 PM
this shit happens all the times folks. let the coaches figure it out. don't panic. it's not that big of a deal. let it play out.

TrapGame
11-01-2018, 08:28 AM
this shit happens all the times folks. let the coaches figure it out. don't panic. it's not that big of a deal. let it play out.

Yeah, I'm over it. That Lawrence kid is special (after doing some homework). Still not sold on KB but if Joe thinks he can give us a shot in the arm then I'm all for it.