PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions regarding the A&M game---Should A&M kicked a FG with 2:40 to go?

Bully13
10-29-2018, 10:29 PM
did they have any times out left to kick away and hope for a 3 and out? or an onside kick? I guess not, I remember Jimbo calling at least one time out during the drive.

Also, what the 17 did Fitz do to get the PF on the last TD?

Pit Bull
10-29-2018, 10:33 PM
I think he got a celebration penalty by drawing attention to himself to the crowd.

Bully13
10-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Bs PF Call.

In hindsight, I guess jimbo knew that was his best odds to go for it. 1 roll of the dice is better odds than 3.

Captain Falcon
10-29-2018, 11:35 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but I would’ve taken the field goal if I was A&M. They had all three timeouts left and more than 2 and a half minutes still in the game. We had not run the ball very well until the big Fitz run at the end. You trust your defense to get a stop in a situation where we would probably just be running it, and then you have to assume you’ll get good field position since we can’t punt at all.

But I also understand why Jimbo went for it. You only get so many chances that close to the end zone against our defense. If he had settled for the field goal and then stalled at midfield at the end of the game then he would be getting criticized for being too conservative by taking the FG.

Schultzy
10-30-2018, 05:43 AM
I heard he took his helmet off but I didn’t see that.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2018, 08:08 AM
They would have had to get on side kick. Score a TD and then get another on side kick and score another TD. They were going to have to do that any ways. All the three points do is keep you from having go for two on one of the TD. I agree with the call.

Dawgfan61
10-30-2018, 09:43 AM
What are you talking about? It was 21-13 at the time. They were only down 8.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2018, 09:51 AM
What are you talking about? It was 21-13 at the time. They were only down 8.

I damn sure don't know what I'm talking about.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2018, 10:03 AM
I heard he took his helmet off but I didn’t see that.

He did not take his helmet off.

Gutter Cobreh
10-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Good one Jack. I'd give you some rep., but alas I have to spread some around.

There are other posters on this site that need to learn how to type those exact words in the same order - and post it often...

BB30
10-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Maybe a field position thing with the way our punters had been kicking the ball. Thinking if they hold us to a 3 and out and force a punt there was a good chance they would have the ball around the 50 or have a chance for a line drive punt and return?

drunkernhelldawg
10-30-2018, 01:40 PM
I would have gone for it. Better chance to make it than to keep us from getting a first down and score a touchdown.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 04:17 PM

LOL Jack. Tried to Rep but the Joe the Plumber Rule prevented me from doing so

BulldogBear
10-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but I would’ve taken the field goal if I was A&M. They had all three timeouts left and more than 2 and a half minutes still in the game. We had not run the ball very well until the big Fitz run at the end. You trust your defense to get a stop in a situation where we would probably just be running it, and then you have to assume you’ll get good field position since we can’t punt at all.

But I also understand why Jimbo went for it. You only get so many chances that close to the end zone against our defense. If he had settled for the field goal and then stalled at midfield at the end of the game then he would be getting criticized for being too conservative by taking the FG.

I very sure they had only 1 timeout left.

mparkerfd20
10-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Always go for it there down 8 at that point in game with that field position. If you miss 2pt try assuming you score an onside kick recovery or forced 3 and out only requires a FG to win. If you don't get first you still have to stop and score TD with conversion to tie. With options for win in regulation he made the right call.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 05:54 PM
I very sure they had only 1 timeout left.

That's prolly right. I KNOW he called at least 1 on that last drive because I remember. In hindsight, Jimbo made the best call based on overall odds. they still would have had to score a TD after the FG. And that's IF they were to get the ball back after the FG. Too many things coulda went wrong for them after the FG.
their best bet was to take a 4th down shot at the endzone.

I still say the PF was BS on Fitz. Holding out your arms to your fans should not be a PF. Oh, and on the no call horse collar. Had that guy not horse collared Fitz, he bulldozes his ass into the end zone without stepping out of bounds. The announcers say because he wasn't completely stopped on it was the reason for the no call. Can anyone with good rule knowledge elaborate on that?

EdDawg
10-31-2018, 08:22 AM
That's prolly right. I KNOW he called at least 1 on that last drive because I remember. In hindsight, Jimbo made the best call based on overall odds. they still would have had to score a TD after the FG. And that's IF they were to get the ball back after the FG. Too many things coulda went wrong for them after the FG.
their best bet was to take a 4th down shot at the endzone.

I still say the PF was BS on Fitz. Holding out your arms to your fans should not be a PF. Oh, and on the no call horse collar. Had that guy not horse collared Fitz, he bulldozes his ass into the end zone without stepping out of bounds. The announcers say because he wasn't completely stopped on it was the reason for the no call. Can anyone with good rule knowledge elaborate on that?

Granted I haven't watched as much football in the past couple of years as I use to, but I think the no call on the horse collar was correct. I always understood that the penalty was for when the player is taken down from behind as a result of the horse collar. I know there are several instances in other games where it's been blatantly obvious that the defender had his hand inside the collar but because they were tackled from the side and not pulled down from behind there was no flag.

Now I will say I've never looked up the wording of the rule. This is just what I've gathered from the calls and no calls since the rule was instated.