PDA

View Full Version : Can we build on last week's passing attack?

msstate7
10-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Fitz, Guidry, and Mitchell were really good last week, but aTm is pretty bad at passing defense. Here's their stats...

Passing yds/game = 114th
Passer rating = 110th
Rushing yds/game = 5th

La Tech's...
Passing yds/game = 33rd
Passer rating = 29th
Rushing yds/game = 63rd

Do we treat this as a chance to improve our passing or do we go the safe path and run these punks over?

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Playing Bama doesn't help those stats which is why it was also impressive that they were #1 in rush defense.

Sidenote: ESPN has an article on the front page asking if this Bama team is the greatest in the history of college football.

msstate7
10-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Playing Bama doesn't help those stats which is why it was also impressive that they were #1 in rush defense.

Sidenote: ESPN has an article on the front page asking if this Bama team is the greatest in the history of college football.

2011 bama would shut 2018's offense down. 2011 would run right through 2018 defense.

ETA... LSU has an nfl qb, 2 nfl RBs, and 4 nfl WRs. They were 2nd in sec in scoring offense and 17th nationally. LSU scored 9 points in 8 quarters vs bama

dawgday166
10-29-2018, 01:10 PM

Not even close. 2011 and 2012 Bama teams are better. 1994/1995 Nebraska teams. Can't be a great team without a great D. This Bama team doesn't have a great D or a great rushing attack either. They'd be in trouble against 2014 OSU team too.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 01:10 PM
I think we can build off of it & Moorhead has a good quote today about getting the slot WRs more involved.

We got to throw & hit more short passes.

dawgday166
10-29-2018, 01:14 PM
2011 bama would shut 2018's offense down. 2011 would run right through 2018 defense.

ETA... LSU has an nfl qb, 2 nfl RBs, and 4 nfl WRs. They were 2nd in sec in scoring offense and 17th nationally. LSU scored 9 points in 8 quarters vs bama

Dude ... you scaring me LOL. We posting same shit at same time too much these days. I didn't even read what you posted till I made my post.

msstate7
10-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Dude ... you scaring me LOL. We posting same shit at same time too much these days. I didn't even read what you posted till I made my post.

You're definetely getting smarter lately haha

Bully13
10-29-2018, 01:19 PM
I think we can build off of it & Moorhead has a good quote today about getting the slot WRs more involved.

We got to throw & hit more short passes.

I agree with this. question though. Don't good passing teams have WR's that can do well on the 50/50 plays? weren't those TD's 50/50 passes? Those 2 TD's looks like we have 2 WR's that have 50/50 go up and get it type of guys. thoughts?

Also, I like Fitz rolling out with a threat to run which seems to enhance some WR separation. That 3rd & 21 to Guidry was a thing of beauty. He was wide ass open.

dawgday166
10-29-2018, 01:22 PM
You're definetely getting smarter lately haha

Haha .. I was thinking so too **

dawgday166
10-29-2018, 01:24 PM
I'm thinking we can build on the passing attack. In fact, it's a little early to tell but ... I'm liking what I've seen and heard from JoMo in last 4 or so days. And from our team also.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 01:25 PM
I agree with this. question though. Don't good passing teams have WR's that can do well on the 50/50 plays? weren't those TD's 50/50 passes? Those 2 TD's looks like we have 2 WR's that have 50/50 go up and get it type of guys. thoughts?

Also, I like Fitz rolling out with a threat to run which seems to enhance some WR separation. That 3rd & 21 to Guidry was a thing of beauty. He was wide ass open.

Fitz breaking the long run at the end for the TD was beautiful and will be on defensive coaches tape. When he rolls out then the defensive players have to know he can take it to the house. That gives WRs like Guidry a HUGE advantage when he rolls out.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Not even close. 2011 and 2012 Bama teams are better. 1994/1995 Nebraska teams. Can't be a great team without a great D. This Bama team doesn't have a great D or a great rushing attack either. They'd be in trouble against 2014 OSU team too.

Bama defense definitely isn't close to 2011 or 2012 but those teams didn't have the best QB in college football.

dawgday166
10-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Bama defense definitely isn't close to 2011 or 2012 but those teams didn't have the best QB in college football.

Even Joe Montana and Tom Brady have had great defenses.

ETA: I'm not saying Tua and the WRs ain't good or even great but, the team as a whole isn't elite IMO. There just ain't no team this year except maybe Clemson IMO that could expose their weak spots.

Dan Marino lit the world on fire in 1984 ... then he ran into the best secondary and pass rushing D line in the league ... and Joe Montana won another MVP in the Super Bowl. There are historical college teams that are just like that.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Even Joe Montana and Tom Brady have had great defenses.

ETA: I'm not saying Tua and the WRs ain't good or even great but, the team as a whole isn't elite IMO. There just ain't no team this year except maybe Clemson IMO that could expose their weak spots.

Dan Marino lit the world on fire in 1984 ... then he ran into the best secondary and pass rushing D line in the league ... and Joe Montana won another MVP in the Super Bowl. There are historical college teams that are just like that.

Great thing is that this year's Bama team can prove it. They keep beating people by an average of 38 points then they prove they are tough.

2011 won by an average of 26 points and had 1 loss.
2012 won by an average of 27.8 points and had 1 loss.

So until this year's team loses then it isn't comparable.

confucius say
10-29-2018, 02:31 PM

NFL qb? Who, Jarrett lee and Jordan Jefferson? Mett wasn't there yet

dawgday166
10-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Great thing is that this year's Bama team can prove it. They keep beating people by an average of 38 points then they prove they are tough.

You may have me on that one ... we'll see. Just hate there aren't any elite D's out there that I can tell this year.

I will add that great Ds usually win championships. I think 2011 Bama D wins against 2018 team.

msstate7
10-29-2018, 02:48 PM
NFL qb? Who, Jarrett lee and Jordan Jefferson? Mett wasn't there yet

Mettenberger, but he didn't play that year... missed that. He took over in 2012

msstate7
10-29-2018, 02:57 PM

Isn't OM the only team they've played with a winning record?

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Isn't OM the only team they've played with a winning record?

UM and A&M, Louisvill being crap affected their normal OOC game. That is why I said they could prove it. LSU at night, MSU, and Auburn, those are the games that will decide how good they really are. If they get through LSU then whoever they play in the SEC Championship game.

It is interesting to think about but the 2011 team faced LSU (13-1) and Ark (11-2). They didn't face UGA (10-4) or SC (11-2) that year. Other than LSU and Ark, most of the other teams were 5-8 wins except UM who was 2-10 LOL.

West Tn Dawg
10-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Fitz breaking the long run at the end for the TD was beautiful and will be on defensive coaches tape. When he rolls out then the defensive players have to know he can take it to the house. That gives WRs like Guidry a HUGE advantage when he rolls out.

I agree but..........Fitz has got to see them. I think one of his biggest problems is, he doesn't see the whole field well. Hopefully he figures it out.

hacker
10-29-2018, 04:47 PM
https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1056994835062759424

Bully13
10-29-2018, 05:37 PM
I'm thinking we need to make sure our tackles are ready for elite defensive ends. No more KY debacles.

West Tn Dawg
10-29-2018, 05:42 PM
I'm thinking we need to make sure our tackles are ready for elite defensive ends. No more KY debacles.

I still think that had a lot to do with the snap count being run down every play. You cant stop a Mack truck when it hits you as soon as you stand up.

Todd4State
10-29-2018, 06:25 PM
Based on who we have played and what we have coming up we will likely continue to see improvement in the passing game. The thing is our rushing will also improve as well.

parabrave
10-29-2018, 08:31 PM

After watching 2 reruns of the game it became apparent of the dam good blocking that AW did. AW picked up the blitzing LB at least 4 times and got a piece of their speed rush guy also. Also the receivers were more aggressive going to the ball which made a big difference.

Bully13
10-29-2018, 10:35 PM
After watching 2 reruns of the game it became apparent of the dam good blocking that AW did. AW picked up the blitzing LB at least 4 times and got a piece of their speed rush guy also. Also the receivers were more aggressive going to the ball which made a big difference.

Damn. I haven't thought of that. As much as I love the breakaway speed of the Hill, AW trucks defenders going after Fitz. That may very well be the key. Hill is young and hopefully he bulks up and learns to be a complete back.

bulldawg28
10-30-2018, 07:07 AM

Which LSU team are you referring to that has all this talent? Surely not the team we played a few weeks ago. The only offensive talent on offense was maybe an OL.

msstate7
10-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Which LSU team are you referring to that has all this talent? Surely not the team we played a few weeks ago. The only offensive talent on offense was maybe an OL.

bulldawg28
10-30-2018, 08:06 AM

Gotcha.

bulldawg28
10-30-2018, 08:07 AM

He is the difference

Cooterpoot
10-30-2018, 08:54 AM
I have my doubts. We basically cut the field in half for Fitz. But our receivers actually made plays, so that's a big positive.

BoomBoom
10-30-2018, 11:24 AM

Hard for any RB to pick up the blitz when they're lined up as a WR, a la KY......

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 12:17 PM

2011 Bama & LSU teams would beat this year's Bama team. Both those D's were nasty. And both O's would score on this year's Bama D.

Tusk ... what say you?? I'm betting you think this year's Bama team beats 2011 LSU.

2011 Miles >>> 2018 Saban ***

Wasn't joking tho about 2011 LSU beating this year's Bama team.

TUSK
10-30-2018, 12:59 PM

2011 Bama & LSU teams would beat this year's Bama team. Both those D's were nasty. And both O's would score on this year's Bama D.

Tusk ... what say you?? I'm betting you think this year's Bama team beats 2011 LSU.

2011 Miles >>> 2018 Saban ***

Wasn't joking tho about 2011 LSU beating this year's Bama team.

I think this year's Bammer team has a chance to be the best ever if they continue on their current trajectory, but it's too soon to make that judgement IMO... If they blast LSU this weekend and win the rest of their games by halftime/3rd Q, I'll crown em.

The 2011 team had clear advantages at the secondary and overall defensive depth... the 2018 team is much better and deeper at skill posititions (QB, WR, TE, RB)... The rest of the units are somewhat comparable, IMO and I think the amount of "next level" talent is similar...

edit: Gun to my head I'd have 2018 Bammer -6.5 vs 2011 Bammer

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 01:21 PM
I think this year's Bammer team has a chance to be the best ever if they continue on their current trajectory, but it's too soon to make that judgement IMO... If they blast LSU this weekend and win the rest of their games by halftime/3rd Q, I'll crown em.

The 2011 team had clear advantages at the secondary and overall defensive depth... the 2018 team is much better and deeper at skill posititions (QB, WR, TE, RB)... The rest of the units are somewhat comparable, IMO and I think the amount of "next level" talent is similar...

edit: Gun to my head I'd have 2018 Bammer -6.5 vs 2011 Bammer

So historically speaking and off the top of my head ... I've never seen an elite defense on the order those 2 2011 teams, which are up there as the best ever IMO, lose to a team with a good D but not elite, and this year's Bama isn't elite. Regardless of how good the offense is. Those 2 D's were on a par with each other, but Bama eventually wore LSU down cause LSU O couldn't go anywhere.

Combine that with how good the 2011 Bama/LSU teams offensive lines were and how well they ran the ball, I'm going with them. This year's Bama team doesn't have a great Oline.

As far as their winning margin this year ... IMO this may be the weakest schedule ever faced by Saban.

TUSK
10-30-2018, 01:30 PM
So historically speaking and off the top of my head ... I've never seen an elite defense on the order those 2 2011 teams, which are up there as the best ever IMO, lose to a team with a good D but not elite, and this year's Bama isn't elite. Regardless of how good the offense is. Those 2 D's were on a par with each other, but Bama eventually wore LSU down cause LSU O couldn't go anywhere.

Combine that with how good the 2011 Bama/LSU teams offensive lines were and how well they ran the ball, I'm going with them. This year's Bama team doesn't have a great Oline.

As far as their winning margin this year ... IMO this may be the weakest schedule ever faced by Saban.

I agree with you regarding the 2011 defense being one of the best ever and about this year's schedule being weak...

I do think you are underrating the talent level on this year's defense, though... I think their numbers have been (in part) adversely affected by how quickly the offense scores combined with giving up some 4th garbage points...

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 05:45 PM
I agree with you regarding the 2011 defense being one of the best ever and about this year's schedule being weak...

I do think you are underrating the talent level on this year's defense, though... I think their numbers have been (in part) adversely affected by how quickly the offense scores combined with giving up some 4th garbage points...

Never said your D doesn't have talent but ... I don't think it's as good as ours and our front 7 is better IMO than yours. And ... I also don't consider our D "elite" from a historical perspective. It's in top 5 probably in country this year, but historically ... I don't think it's among the best I've seen. The thing is ... there are no offenses with Olines that can really test your D. Or at least relative to the schedule you play. Same with ours to some extent. The 2011/2012 Bama Olines were also up there with how good they were ... especially the 2012 line.

TUSK
10-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Never said your D doesn't have talent but ... I don't think it's as good as ours and our front 7 is better IMO than yours. And ... I also don't consider our D "elite" from a historical perspective. It's in top 5 probably in country this year, but historically ... I don't think it's among the best I've seen. The thing is ... there are no offenses with Olines that can really test your D. Or at least relative to the schedule you play. Same with ours to some extent. The 2011/2012 Bama Olines were also up there with how good they were ... especially the 2012 line.

Since you mentioned 2011 LSU/Bammer game: Do you remember all the NFL players that were on the field? It was obscene...

While this year's Bammer/MSU likely won't match that number, it's gonna be a BUNCH...

I'll withhold judgement on which DL is better til I see some more football.

Mjoelner34
10-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Since you mentioned 2011 LSU/Bammer game: Do you remember all the NFL players that were on the field? It was obscene...

I think I remember reading one time that 33 players were drafted from the championship game rosters that year.

TUSK
10-30-2018, 06:14 PM
I think I remember reading one time that 33 players were drafted from the championship game rosters that year.

I think it was 42... but not all of them played a lot (some were young) in that game...

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 06:42 PM

While this year's Bammer/MSU likely won't match that number, it's gonna be a BUNCH...

I'll withhold judgement on which DL is better til I see some more football.

That's why I'm saying what I am.

TUSK
10-30-2018, 06:56 PM
That's why I'm saying what I am.

and I dig it... I just think the 11v18 disparity between the offenses > than the defenses...

dawgday166
10-30-2018, 07:09 PM
I dig it.