PDA

View Full Version : Browns fire Jackson

msstate7
10-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Kinda surprised. After going winless last season, they're 2-5-1 this year. They've been in 4 OT games (Steelers, ravens, bucs, and raiders). They have a 3-point loss at the saints. The browns have been pretty competitive this year, and seem to have a promising rookie qb and rb. I'm not a browns or Jackson fan, but I disagree with this move

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 12:14 PM
Yes, they have won a few, but their roster is that of a 7-9 win team.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Now Mullen will have two jobs he's "not interested in"

fishwater99
10-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Now Mullen will have two jobs he's "not interested in"

Awesome..

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Weird since Hue was supposed to be a guy who helped develop QBs. That is why I thought he would get at least this year to work with Baker.

parabrave
10-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Vontae Mack gonna be pissed. Seriously when any organization like the browns fail it's on the head office mainly the ownership. They need to do what Benson finally did, go hire an NFL guy or at least take advice from Bill Parcells and go dance on the sidelines.

MetEdDawg
10-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Yeah but you have to learn how to win when you are in that situation. They are absurdly more competitive that they have been. Word is that Hue and the OC didn't see eye to eye on stuff. Organization said it would donwhat it needed to in order to give Baker continuity for growth.

Guess firing Hue was their idea of that. I think this is a horridly dumb move that adds another bit of anxiety and pressure to an already bad organization.

drunkernhelldawg
10-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Probably just couldn't connect with Mayfield.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803379-report-baker-mayfield-wont-exactly-miss-hue-jackson-after-browns-fire-hc

fishwater99
10-29-2018, 01:54 PM
They both gone..

I guess baker won out.. Might as well let him coach too.

"Rapoport's update comes after ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Browns fired the head coach following a 2-5-1 start to the 2018 season. Jackson won't be the only one Mayfield will be without, as Rapoport reported Cleveland fired offensive coordinator Todd Haley as well. "

fader2103
10-29-2018, 01:58 PM
Top choices for me
NFL: Mark Helfrich (OC, Bears), Mike Shula (OC, Giants), Pete Carmichael (OC, Saints), Jim Schwartz (DC, Eagles), Josh McDaniels (OC, Patriots)

College: Lincoln Riley (HC, Oklahoma), Jim Harbaugh (HC, Michigan), James Franklin (HC, Penn State), Urban Meyer (HC, Ohio State)

Wildcard: Bob Stoops

Out of these I think the best option for Cleveland would be Jim Schwartz. Former HC experience, Former Cleveland Brown scout. Didn't have a great HC career but the NFL is a league where you can fail once and get a second opportunity and succeed like Belichick, Pete Carroll and others.

I think they will make a stupid choice and go for Lincoln Riley just because the connection with Baker Mayfield, but I think they need NFL stability.

MetEdDawg
10-29-2018, 02:13 PM
They both gone..

I guess baker won out.. Might as well let him coach too.

"Rapoport's update comes after ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Browns fired the head coach following a 2-5-1 start to the 2018 season. Jackson won't be the only one Mayfield will be without, as Rapoport reported Cleveland fired offensive coordinator Todd Haley as well. "

This is dumb. Fire both? That's nuts.

War Machine Dawg
10-29-2018, 03:28 PM
This is dumb. Fire both? That's nuts.

It's the Browns. They've cornered the market on dumb. I feel awful for their fans. There's literally no reason for hope with that franchise unless its ownership changes.

drunkernhelldawg
10-29-2018, 04:44 PM
I don't know the relationship. But it's obvious to me that an NFL teams's value is its players. Not that coaches are automatically expendable, but a franchise quarterback is pretty much top dog. Even with the Saints, Patriots, and other teams with superstar coaches.

Sure, Mayfield hasn't produced results yet. But the Browns are heavily invested in him doing so in the future.

Dawg61
10-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Jackson and Haley both suck. The GM just got there and he's already making the Browns way more competitive with the roster he's building. He's the guy that built the KC Chiefs roster. I don't like him (Dorsey) but he does seem to do a good job at building good rosters. He'll now get the chance to bring in the coach he wants who will bring in the OC he wants. It's a good move by the Browns I only wonder why they waited this long to do it. Hue Jackson has the 2nd worst record all-time.

BB30
10-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Browns fan here... it is most definitely harder being a browns fan than a state fan. You literally have to try to be as stupid as the front office has been at times. Some of the decisions they make.. well most of the decisions they make are absolutely mind boggling. Finally look like we are making some progress and we fire the coach.

Not that I was a huge fan of him but he had them playing better and being competitive. Pretty frustrating.

99jc
10-29-2018, 07:58 PM

Yeah and ours is a 10-11 win team but you want to keep hardhead.

Dawg61
10-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Yeah and ours is a 10-11 win team but you want to keep hardhead.

You've lost your mind if you think 2018 Fitz is an 11 win QB. He had a great game vs aTm but he's had 3 awful ones too.

msstate7
10-29-2018, 08:36 PM
You've lost your mind if you think 2018 Fitz is an 11 win QB. He had a great game vs aTm but he's had 3 awful ones too.

So it's crazy to think a 9-win team that returned 17 starters could win 10-11?

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 09:08 PM

Auburn returned 6 starters on offense to our 9 from a 10 win team in the regular season, one starter was a Heisman front runner. Their starting Oline were all Juniors or Redshirt Juniors. We also changed our offense where Auburn had consistency.

msstate7
10-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Auburn returned 6 starters on offense to our 9 from a 10 win team in the regular season, one starter was a Heisman front runner. Their starting Oline were all Juniors or Redshirt Juniors. We also changed our offense where Auburn had consistency.

Auburn lost 4 of 5 oline starters and k. Johnson and pettway at rb. They also lost 2 WRs in the spring

Dawg61
10-29-2018, 09:18 PM

It is crazy to think a QB coming off a serious injury that's put up 20 or lower QBR ratings in 3 games would suddenly not suck in those games if Bear Bryant Mullen was still here.

dalmuti
10-29-2018, 10:30 PM
let me show you the power of positive thinking

https://dl2.pushbulletusercontent.com/Q36FXx6MsZHC1WYgtGWioPZ3FQ5gZ8R4/danlollen.png

Dawg61
10-29-2018, 10:41 PM
let me show you the power of positive thinking

https://dl2.pushbulletusercontent.com/Q36FXx6MsZHC1WYgtGWioPZ3FQ5gZ8R4/danlollen.png

Haha love it! Gotta fix the Gators logos though