PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Coaching Salaries

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Not sure how we curve this, but I think the only place to start is to lessen the importance of recruiting. Teams are scared to see coaches go to other programs, because they fear losing their recruiting class.

Not sure if fixing the recruiting problem leads to a draft, salary caps, or some other method that creates if/or debates & allocations.

Anyway, pretty thought provoking. Feels like the Athletic Directors are stumped on how to fix it. Of course they only interviewed blue blood ADs that don't want to see the recruiting game altered.

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1056887616585510913

Bully13
10-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Good stuff Gun. Bilemia getting $13M to walk is unreal. And that shirtless FSU professor reading a book during the worse ass whipping in their history is priceless.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 12:40 PM
I couldn't read the article but these salaries and buyouts are putting a lot of pressure on making a good hire that has an instant impact. If you make a good hire then the buyout gives you more security. I think I read that Houston put a bigger buyout in Applewhite's contract to at least deter anyone from just taking their coach since they have almost been a revolving door. It might not keep a blue blood from taking their coach but at least they get paid for being a stepping stone.

On the flip side, if you make a bad hire then it is amplified if you can't afford to buy him out. You probably don't realize how bad a hire is for a couple of years normally because it is normally rebuilding years.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Jimmy Sexton is abusing these former baseball coaches and PR guys who are now ADs.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 01:01 PM
I couldn't read the article but these salaries and buyouts are putting a lot of pressure on making a good hire that has an instant impact. If you make a good hire then the buyout gives you more security. I think I read that Houston put a bigger buyout in Applewhite's contract to at least deter anyone from just taking their coach since they have almost been a revolving door. It might not keep a blue blood from taking their coach but at least they get paid for being a stepping stone.

On the flip side, if you make a bad hire then it is amplified if you can't afford to buy him out. You probably don't realize how bad a hire is for a couple of years normally because it is normally rebuilding years.

Agree. Problem, however, is that no industry or person in the history of mankind has become elite at making good hires.

it's always been a hit & miss endeavor, no matter how much info you have

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Jimmy Sexton is abusing these former baseball coaches and PR guys who are now ADs.

I'm not sure what the baseball coaches & PR guys can do though.

Unless you're ok with the fear that half your recruiting class could decommit with a coaching change, then I'm not sure how you handle it. The coaches have all the leverage & much more than in the NFL because of recruiting. All the problems in college sports come back to recruiting. It's literally the worst idea that has every become a practice in sports

Throw that in with Cohen being called out by many MSU fans over the past month, & it's easy to see that it would've been much easier to just pay Mullen 7 mil per year, if he would've taken it. Making new hires is always a dice roll

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Unless you're ok with the fear that half your recruiting class could decommit with a coaching change, then I'm not sure how you handle it. The coaches have all the leverage & much more than in the NFL because of recruiting. All the problems in college sports come back to recruiting. It's literally the worst idea that has every become a practice in sports

How many players did we lose when Mullen left? Maybe 2 or 3.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 01:08 PM
How many players did we lose when Mullen left? Maybe 2 or 3.

Yes, it worked out decent for us, but it doesn't change the fear. The early signing period only exacerbates the issue

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Yes, it worked out decent for us, but it doesn't change the fear. The early signing period only exacerbates the issue

One thing I have learned after 20 years in business is don't make decisions based on fear.

AROB44
10-29-2018, 02:54 PM

Throw that in with Cohen being called out by many MSU fans over the past month, & it's easy to see that it would've been much easier to just pay Mullen 7 mil per year, if he would've taken it. Making new hires is always a dice roll

If Mullen had stayed, can you imagine what this board would have looked like? How many posts would there be about losing to South Alabama, Alabama, Ole Miss, etc. It's almost unbearable now with all the bitching about Moorhead.....with Mullen, it would be even worse. Plus....how many times would we hear "Mullen's ceiling is 8 wins a year".

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 03:25 PM

I think as much as the money, Mullen left because he thinks he will be able to get great recruits easier or have them come to him. UF almost recruits itself but coaches still have to put in the work. The name on the jersey gets him into the front door but Mullen being Mullen is giving him a 23rd ranked class.

For all the people talking about how much talent he left, UF had higher ranked classes than we have. If Mullen wins just 8 games with that schedule and roster, he would have failed horribly. That team had 9-10 win talent, the team just quit on McE last year after going to back to back SEC Championship games.

Cooterpoot
10-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Recruiting rankings are about as exact a science as global warming.

AROB44
10-29-2018, 03:44 PM

I see we have a non-believer here......probably quite a few more than you on here.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2018, 04:03 PM

I would agree that that recruiting rankings aren't exact but most 5 stars pan out unless they are head cases. You can look at whoever is in the top 5 in rankings over 4 years and predict what teams are in the top 10. Outside of maybe top 5-10 classes, the rest seem like a crap shoot.

Pit Bull
10-30-2018, 06:03 AM
When you have 2 brothers and a sister worth a total of 120 BILLION like the Waltons, then money is no object. But it does matter who you hire if you win or not.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-31-2018, 10:32 AM
Do we ever get to the point where the college game becomes a minor league for the NFL? Would this alleviate the issue of coaching salaries? Would it solve other issues that the college game creates? Or would it change the college game too much...I think you'd definitely see a change in offensive and defensive philosophy where the college game looked more like the NFL game. After all, the NFL team would want their farm team to run their offense so when it came time to call up a player he would have already become familiar with the offense.

I've thought about this for quit a while now. With all of the talk and debate about paying college players and having teams like some in this state that can't play fairly anyway, when do we take a serious look at just making the college game a farm league to the NFL? I'm going to throw out some thoughts I've had...none of which are conclusive, but a starting point to get the conversation going. If anything like this ever happened, I would imagine it would take a couple of years just talking, debating, outlining how to go about it and then fine tuning it after it has gotten off the ground.

You would have to find a way to include the FCS teams and lower. But to roughly outline a starting point, I'll just look at the power 5.

32 NFL teams
65 Power Five schools (plus Notre Dame, etc.)

Roughly 2 per NFL team

Example:
New Orleans Saints farm teams
LSU
Nebraska

The college coaches still choose who they want to "draft". Set it up like the NFL where the worse team drafts first....or pull the names out of the hat and draft in that order. (If you're afraid of some shady teams tanking the season just to get a higher draft choice).

Player has to play a minimum of two seasons of college before they could be called up and can be called up at any time at the conclusion of his soph, jr or sr season.

Player has a maximum college career of 5 years. After this time he has to have been called up to the NFL team or traded to another NFL team. Otherwise he graduates as normal. (yes, I use the term graduates very loosely).

Will have to work out the 85 limit total and 25 yearly "draft/signee" issue. Would have to decide something on redshirting and how that would work. Plus a ton of other issues that will arise when starting something this drastic.

Like I said....this is just a starting point. There are a tremendous amount of things that would have to be worked out before you could take on an endeavor like this. Fun to think about, debate, argue for or against at a minimum.

What are your thoughts? Good/bad? Help with coaching salaries? Help with cheating colleges? Change the college game too much? Don't care?

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2018, 10:37 AM
Do we ever get to the point where the college game becomes a minor league for the NFL? Would this alleviate the issue of coaching salaries? Would it solve other issues that the college game creates? Or would it change the college game too much...I think you'd definitely see a change in offensive and defensive philosophy where the college game looked more like the NFL game. After all, the NFL team would want their farm team to run their offense so when it came time to call up a player he would have already become familiar with the offense.

I've thought about this for quit a while now. With all of the talk and debate about paying college players and having teams like some in this state that can't play fairly anyway, when do we take a serious look at just making the college game a farm league to the NFL? I'm going to throw out some thoughts I've had...none of which are conclusive, but a starting point to get the conversation going. If anything like this ever happened, I would imagine it would take a couple of years just talking, debating, outlining how to go about it and then fine tuning it after it has gotten off the ground.

You would have to find a way to include the FCS teams and lower. But to roughly outline a starting point, I'll just look at the power 5.

32 NFL teams

Roughly 2 per NFL team

Example:
LSU
Nebraska

The college coaches still choose who they want to "draft". Set it up like the NFL where the worse team drafts first....or pull the names out of the hat and draft in that order. (If you're afraid of some shady teams tanking the season just to get a higher draft choice).

Player has to play a minimum of two seasons of college before they could be called up and can be called up at any time at the conclusion of his soph, jr or sr season.

Player has a maximum college career of 5 years. After this time he has to have been called up to the NFL team or traded to another NFL team. Otherwise he graduates as normal. (yes, I use the term graduates very loosely).

Will have to work out the 85 limit total and 25 yearly "draft/signee" issue. Would have to decide something on redshirting and how that would work. Plus a ton of other issues that will arise when starting something this drastic.

Like I said....this is just a starting point. There are a tremendous amount of things that would have to be worked out before you could take on an endeavor like this. Fun to think about, debate, argue for or against at a minimum.

What are your thoughts? Good/bad? Help with coaching salaries? Help with cheating colleges? Change the college game too much? Don't care?

If you make college football a farm system for the NFL, then you have to pay players. Once you start paying players then you can institute a draft & a draft solves all the problems because coaches no longer have the recruiting leverage that they do now.

It may be a slow progression, but I can certainly see once players are allowed to be paid, then the entire power 5 football structure moving towards a draft in time.

TUSK
10-31-2018, 11:03 AM

32 NFL teams

Roughly 2 per NFL team

Example:
LSU
Nebraska

I thought Bammer already was an NFL Farm Team... Go Skins???

Seriously, you make some interesting points, and I'm certain I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to help... but I don't like the fact that the NFL won't allow anyone less than 3 years removed from HS to be drafted... That seems "un-American" to me....

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2018, 11:06 AM

Seriously, you make some interesting points, and I'm certain I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to help... but I don't like the fact that the NFL won't allow anyone less than 3 years removed from HS to be drafted... That seems "un-American" to me....

I'm fine with it as I think it protects the NFL from itself. If you start drafting high school kids in the NFL, then you've got to have a farm system for them to develop, which you can do in college football by simply paying players & having a draft

Homedawg
10-31-2018, 11:15 AM
We are paying our coach 2.7 mil. Way below league avg. not sure how anyone got abused.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-31-2018, 11:54 AM

I think if you set up a minor league system of some sort like I described and the colleges went to a draft format, then they are essentially "drafting" high school kids to potentially end up in the NFL. Of course they have that potential now, but in putting in a minor league of sorts, you start paying the players to play and take away the coaching salary problems that shotgun was showing. As far as being 3 years removed from high school, I simply put that because 99% of players probably need that time to develop before they are ready to play pro football.