PDA

View Full Version : 2019 MSU Defense

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Amazing to see so many new players stepping up.

It's been said that our defense will drop off pretty big next year, but let's take a look to see how much.

From what I see below, there are a lot of new guys but also a lot of answers. There is a ton of talent on defense next year. We'll take a step back due to losing 2 generational players on the DL but we've got NFL caliber guys taking their place. Hopefully Leo will stay for one more.

Call me crazy, but I think this can be a top half of the SEC defense. It won't be elite like this year's but it can be damn good. Throw that in with us returning so many skill players on offense next year, & we could be a surprising 8 win team, if JoMo figures this thing out & our offense gets on the same page.

DE - Chauncy Rivers, Fletcher Adams, Crumedy, Demonte Russell
DT - Lee Autry, Fabian Lovett, Nathan Pickering
DT - James Jackson, Devon Robinson, Charles Moore
DE - Marquiss Spencer, Kobe Jones, Aaron Odom, Ani

LB - Leo, Gay, Erroll, Washington, Nathaniel Watson, Kilby Lane, Jett Johnson, Dunning,

CB - Dantzler, Smitherman, Williams, Furge, Charles, Reed, & true freshmen

Safeties - Fred Peters, CJ Morgan, Landon Guidry, Marcus Murphy

Star - Cole, Landrews, Murphy

Cooterpoot
10-29-2018, 09:52 AM
I don't think any of the FR DL will play next year unless out of necessity. They need a weight room and a lot of learning. But the defense should still be pretty decent. You'll see how good Sweat and Simmons are though. Especially Simmons.

msstate7
10-29-2018, 09:52 AM
My concern is interior of dline. We have some edge guys, but not so sure about interior. Maybe play rivers more inside

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:54 AM
I don't think any of the FR DL will play next year unless out of necessity. They need a weight room and a lot of learning. But the defense should still be pretty decent. You'll see how good Sweat and Simmons are though. Especially Simmons.

Agree. I don't think it's out of the question though that Pickering & Moore can contribute. We've had a number of freshmen contribute in the past that weren't as highly rated as those two

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:54 AM
My concern is interior of dline. We have some edge guys, but not so sure about interior. Maybe play rivers more inside

I think the interior will be surprisingly solid

Cooterpoot
10-29-2018, 09:58 AM
I'll be very surprised if they play. I've seen them a lot, especially Pickering. He's going to be great, but he's not as big as you think and is going to have to learn DT. He's long and he's lightening quick for a big man though. Moore is big, but has some work to do as well. The only DL in MS I think could possibly come in and contribute is Young and we're not getting him. He's more physically ready and is ahead technique-wise as well, than the others IMO. He'll probably redshirt at AL though. Pickering has the highest ceiling.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 10:02 AM
I'll be very surprised if they play. I've seen them a lot, especially Pickering. He's going to be great, but he's not as big as you think and is going to have to learn DT. He's long and he's lightening quick for a big man though. Moore is big, but has some work to do as well. The only DL in MS I think could possibly come in and contribute is Young and we're not getting him. He's more physically ready and is ahead technique-wise as well, than the others IMO. He'll probably redshirt at AL though. Pickering has the highest ceiling.

I wish we could get Young

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 10:06 AM

We are losing 5 D-tackles that contribute. That's significant. We are going to have to slide some D-ends down.

BrunswickDawg
10-29-2018, 10:08 AM

I think the biggest thing about the interior is not just losing Simmons and Sweat - it's losing some very talented SR depth in Hoyett, Thomas, Grant and Brown. Those guys don't get enough credit. They are so good you don't even notice Simmons and Sweat being out.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 10:09 AM
We are losing 5 D-tackles that contribute. That's significant. We are going to have to slide some D-ends down.

True. We'll have some flexibility and talent though.

It'll be interesting to see how Shoop mixes the depth at DE with DT to get the most experience and talent on the field.

shrimp
10-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Crumedy will move inside to DT. He’s already 300 lbs.

It's been said that our defense will drop off pretty big next year, but let's take a look to see how much.

From what I see below, there are a lot of new guys but also a lot of answers. There is a ton of talent on defense next year. We'll take a step back due to losing 2 generational players on the DL but we've got NFL caliber guys taking their place. Hopefully Leo will stay for one more.

Call me crazy, but I think this can be a top half of the SEC defense. It won't be elite like this year's but it can be damn good. Throw that in with us returning so many skill players on offense next year, & we could be a surprising 8 win team, if JoMo figures this thing out & our offense gets on the same page.

LB - Leo, Gay, Erroll, Washington, Nathaniel Watson, Kilby Lane, Jett Johnson, Dunning,

Homedawg
10-29-2018, 10:14 AM

The only d end we have that can remotely play inside is Rivers. The rest are all too small way too small.

ShotgunDawg
Crumedy will move inside to DT. He’s already 300 lbs.

Good. That's where he is more needed.

Homedawg

Either Cole or Landrews or both will move to Safety.

Coach007
10-29-2018, 10:17 AM

Will be a top 20 defense. Recruiting this year is going to be important for a run 2 years from now

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 10:38 AM
Will be a top 20 defense. Recruiting this year is going to be important for a run 2 years from now

Not sure how good, but I know Ole Miss would kill for this defensive roster

Coach007
10-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Not sure how good, but I know Ole Miss would kill for this defensive roster

It's speaks highly of the players considering how many DCs they have had.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 10:47 AM
It's speaks highly of the players considering how many DCs they have had.

No doubt. Makes me wonder how good we could be if we had some continuity.

I think Shoop will be here a while.

msu15
10-29-2018, 11:20 AM
No doubt. Makes me wonder how good we could be if we had some continuity.

I think Shoop will be here a while.

Man I hope so, I think he's doing the best job a DC has done for us since Diaz in 2010.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Interior of the DL is a question mark for sure. Autry has really started to play well last couple of games. I think you can pencil him in a 1 starter. Everything I've heard on Lovett on the scout team makes me think he's the other starter at DT. Kid has a ton of talent. James Jackson & Jaden Crumedy are inside guys who will fight for reps. Pickering will play next year imo. How much will depend on him but he will get some p/t.

At Safety I think Cole is the better player than Landrews but I think he's more versatile so I could see him moving to Free Safety with Landrews at Star & Fred Peters at Strong Safety (yes I like him that much). Murphy is starting to get more p/t now because of the Cole injury & I think he's the backup Star next year. Shawn Preston, CJ Morgan-Walker, & Jarrian Jones all battle for 2 deep reps at Safety.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Interior of the DL is a question mark for sure. Autry has really started to play well last couple of games. I think you can pencil him in a 1 starter. Everything I've heard on Lovett on the scout team makes me think he's the other starter at DT. Kid has a ton of talent. James Jackson & Jaden Crumedy are inside guys who will fight for reps. Pickering will play next year imo. How much will depend on him but he will get some p/t.

At Safety I think Cole is the better player than Landrews but I think he's more versatile so I could see him moving to Free Safety with Landrews at Star & Fred Peters at Strong Safety (yes I like him that much). Murphy is starting to get more p/t now because of the Cole injury & I think he's the backup Star next year. Shawn Preston, CJ Morgan-Walker, & Jarrian Jones all battle for 2 deep reps at Safety.

You could also start Cole at the other CB opposite of Dantzler. Would see advantageous to get both Landrews & Cole on the field at the same time. Cole started at CB vs KY

Bully13
10-29-2018, 11:56 AM
I've been hearing a lot about how deep we are on the DL which leads me to believe we should be ok next year. Looking promising on LB as well. It seems like we always have a surprise or 2 on defense as well. I'm starting to like me some Shoop. If we can win the rest (not counting bamer), could we get some surprise signings?

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 12:00 PM
So maybe something like this:

DE: Rivers
DT: Autry
DT: Lovett
DE: Adams/Spencer

MLB: E. Thompson
WLB: Leo/Gay

CB: Dantzler
CB: Smitherman
Star: Landrews/Murphy
SS: Peters
FS: Cole

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 12:15 PM

I think you're underrating James Jackson

bulldawg28
10-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Either Cole or Landrews or both will move to Safety.

This. Cole at FS with his speed, playmaking, IQ, and physicality would be lethal.

bulldawg28
10-29-2018, 03:50 PM

I love this lineup. Add depth and we're a top SEC defense.

Covercorner2
10-29-2018, 03:59 PM

Kobe Jones

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2018, 04:15 PM

I think this is it but Kobe is opposite of Rivers.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2018, 04:18 PM
You could also start Cole at the other CB opposite of Dantzler. Would see advantageous to get both Landrews & Cole on the field at the same time. Cole started at CB vs KY

Cole started at nickel that game. Dantzler & Rayford started at CB. If you want Cole & Landrews on the field together have Landrews at Star & Cole at Free.

state66
10-29-2018, 04:22 PM
We are going to miss Sweat’s production. I am not sure we have an edge rusher near his talent. Secondary will be tested without Sweats ability to rush the passer.

Homedawg
10-29-2018, 04:33 PM

They are going to be. Either both at safety or one at safety and one at star.

Homedawg
10-29-2018, 04:35 PM
We are going to miss Sweat’s production. I am not sure we have an edge rusher near his talent. Secondary will be tested without Sweats ability to rush the passer.

ms state doesn't replace a 1st rounder edge guy like him in a decade, much less the next year. The guys we have Jones, Adams, and Rivers are good players but they aren't the rush threat, not close.

NCDawg
10-29-2018, 04:38 PM
I'd like to see another top notch L/B to help Thompson and Gay. Hopefully, Bruie, Watson, or Kirby-Lane can come in and provide depth.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 06:11 PM

We are losing 3 impact players to the NFL. We will feel that next year. But there might be enough talent for a top 20 defense.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2018, 06:12 PM
I think this is it but Kobe is opposite of Rivers.

I didn't realize Kobe was ahead of Adams. That's a nice 2 deep at DE.

Todd4State
10-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Obviously we won't replace Sweat and Simmons but we may be able to Moneyball it enough to be pretty good. Marquiss Spencer is very underrated. Rivers is pretty good. And then we have a couple of veterans in Fletcher Adams and Kobe Jones who have made plays behind them. I think Lee Autry will be close to as good as Hoyett. We need the three UA All-Americans to contribute at about the same level as Chris Jones and Simmons did when they were freshmen when they were rotated in. We also have Lovett and Jaden Crumedy who were four star guys.

We return all of our linebackers- and that's huge with Erroll being the leader of the defense. In theory we should be better at LB next year. Tim Washington is a very good back up and then we should get to see more of Aaron Brule, Jett Johnson, and Nathaniel Watson.

Dantzler is a very good CB. If we start Smitherman I'm fine with that. He has performed well analytically. Landrews has been a pleasant surprise and no question he starts somewhere like the Star position. Fred Peters should start and I'm guessing we move Cole to FS like everyone else. Then we have Jarrion Jones and Marcus Murphy for depth.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2018, 06:39 PM
We are losing 3 impact players to the NFL. We will feel that next year. But there might be enough talent for a top 20 defense.

That's what Im thinking as well. This years defense is arguably the best in the country but there's no reason to believe with the talent still here we can't be top 20-25 which is dang good. Take into account also that Shoop has worked wonders with our secondary. The defense next year should be solid as heck.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-29-2018, 06:54 PM
The unknowns that have really come on of late are Smitherman and Landrews. They have been a real bright spot. We knew about Dantzler, and had heard great things about Cole. DE will be solid. DT is the question. Crumedy and Lovett have to play well. You always need depth at DT because big guys get worn down.

The talent will be there. Experience and depth will be the issue. This year is spoiling us.

Todd4State
10-29-2018, 06:56 PM
That's what Im thinking as well. This years defense is arguably the best in the country but there's no reason to believe with the talent still here we can't be top 20-25 which is dang good. Take into account also that Shoop has worked wonders with our secondary. The defense next year should be solid as heck.

And for the first time since 2014 we will have a DC that will be in year two. Not having to learn an entire defense again has to help some. Assuming everyone on the defensive side stays.