PDA

View Full Version : Grad transfers vs JUCO and our present needs

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 10:50 PM
I think one advantage we have at MSU is we have access to a good JUCO system but now things have changed with the new transfer rules. It makes it a LOT easier to rebuild and retool. But I think there are pros and cons to both.

JUCO pros:

1. You have them for two years. (Two years and four games if you redshirt them).
2. Mississippi has one of the best if not the best JUCO football league in America.
3. We have a lot of connections and familiarity with the JUCO leagues.

JUCO cons:

1. It typically takes your average JUCO player about six games to adjust to the SEC. You thought EMCC was tough? Hi Alabama!
2. They take up spots on the 25 man recruiting class.

Grad Transfer pros:

1. Has played D-I football and been in a D-I program for four years making the adjustment in theory easier.
2. Along with that, a more mature football player in terms of football experience.
3. Doesn't take up a spot in the 25 man class meaning that saves a spot for a high school player to develop for the long term.

Grad Transfer cons:

1. Only here for one year, and if they turn out to be a bust you still have a major hole at that position.
2. Can fix the misses later in the process like Walter Payton and Jerry Rice.

That said, I feel like we should take a grad transfer at QB and then as far as the JUCO guys go I could go either JUCO or grad transfer for WR's or a LT. And maybe a punter.

If we get a grad transfer at QB I don't think it necessarily means that Key would transfer. I think it would give him an opportunity to learn the offense more and buy him and us time because the grad transfer would still be a year ahead of Key. Key staying would also help with out depth.

As far as WR and LT I think we should go with the best available whether that is a JUCO or a grad transfer.

Punter- I think I would maybe try Scott Goodman first and see what happens. If he looks good, the job is his. If he doesn't- get the best available JUCO or grad transfer.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2018, 10:53 PM
We aren’t taking a transfer QB.

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 10:54 PM
We aren’t taking a transfer QB.

Lots of rumors that we are trying to get into the Kelly Bryant sweepstakes.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2018, 10:56 PM
We aren?t taking a transfer QB.

I don't think we will either, but it's the job of the coaches to win, not make the players on the current roster happy.

If the coaches think we have a better chance to win in 2019 by taking on a grad transfer QB, then they better damn well try to do that.

It doesn't make sense not too. Why do you care about the feelings of players that aren't good enough to play for you?

That being said, I really like KT & really really want him to figure it out. That being said though, this ain't church league basketball

yjnkdawg
10-28-2018, 11:23 PM
I don't think we will either, but it's the job of the coaches to win, not make the players on the current roster happy.

If the coaches think we have a better chance to win in 2019 by taking on a grad transfer QB, then they better damn well try to do that.

It doesn't make sense not too. Why do you care about the feelings of players that aren't good enough to play for you?

That being said, I really like KT & really really want him to figure it out. That being said though, this ain't church league basketball

I think KT and Mayden will be in the running for the starting qb job. KT has been a better runner, and Mayden has been a better passer. Both should be able to fit his offense, once they grasp his offensive scheme, and feel comfortable running it. Shrader will probably red shirt unless there is a critical need that he doesn't need too. Bringing in a grad transfer at this time, would be more like an OM move in my opinion.

yjnkdawg
10-28-2018, 11:42 PM
I think one advantage we have at MSU is we have access to a good JUCO system but now things have changed with the new transfer rules. It makes it a LOT easier to rebuild and retool. But I think there are pros and cons to both.

JUCO pros:

1. You have them for two years. (Two years and four games if you redshirt them).
2. Mississippi has one of the best if not the best JUCO football league in America.
3. We have a lot of connections and familiarity with the JUCO leagues.

JUCO cons:

1. It typically takes your average JUCO player about six games to adjust to the SEC. You thought EMCC was tough? Hi Alabama!
2. They take up spots on the 25 man recruiting class.

Grad Transfer pros:

1. Has played D-I football and been in a D-I program for four years making the adjustment in theory easier.
2. Along with that, a more mature football player in terms of football experience.
3. Doesn't take up a spot in the 25 man class meaning that saves a spot for a high school player to develop for the long term.

Grad Transfer cons:

1. Only here for one year, and if they turn out to be a bust you still have a major hole at that position.
2. Can fix the misses later in the process like Walter Payton and Jerry Rice.

That said, I feel like we should take a grad transfer at QB and then as far as the JUCO guys go I could go either JUCO or grad transfer for WR's or a LT. And maybe a punter.

If we get a grad transfer at QB I don't think it necessarily means that Key would transfer. I think it would give him an opportunity to learn the offense more and buy him and us time because the grad transfer would still be a year ahead of Key. Key staying would also help with out depth.

As far as WR and LT I think we should go with the best available whether that is a JUCO or a grad transfer.

Punter- I think I would maybe try Scott Goodman first and see what happens. If he looks good, the job is his. If he doesn't- get the best available JUCO or grad transfer.

I don't know how KT would perceive that. He should know the offense by next year. If we did bring in a grad transfer and he started most if not all the games next year, then KT would only be in competition for the starting role his senior year. I don't see an issue with him competing with Mayden, and Shrader, if Shrader doesn't red shirt, but bringing in a grad transfer, I'm not sure how that would play out.

Lord McBuckethead
10-29-2018, 12:07 AM
Key can do this and he is going to do it well. We will have a Junior and RS freshman both 1 year into the system to start next year. Getting bowl eligible this year is paramount. Imagine if we could have 20 practices right now to work on offensive execution. KT at that point with have gone through 2 springs and 1 fall as the #1 guy. If he doesn't know the offense day 1, I have no idea what it would take for someone to learn it.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-29-2018, 05:41 AM
It is a distinct possibility that the two starting Qb’s for the Spring game are Shrader and Logan Burnett...

Schultzy
10-29-2018, 06:26 AM
Keyteon will start and will be damn good
Mayden is the backup
Shrader will RS then play a lot his 2nd yr here

We will not be wasting a scholly on some grad transfer QB, surely hope not anyway.

BiscuitEater
10-29-2018, 06:34 AM
I think KT and Mayden will be in the running for the starting qb job.

Hopefully, both see some game time this weekend + play in a bowl game. Really critical for both to get additional bowl practice and 'real' game time before start of next year.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 07:36 AM
Keyteon will start and will be damn good
Mayden is the backup
Shrader will RS then play a lot his 2nd yr here

We will not be wasting a scholly on some grad transfer QB, surely hope not anyway.

Why would it be wasting a scholly if that guy is your best QB?

Bo Bounds going on and on today about how much KT struggles in practice

Schultzy
10-29-2018, 07:49 AM
The odds of anyone within the universe of grad transfer eligible qb’s stepping in here for basically 10 months and winning the team and learning the system and being the best qb is low.

Keyteon Thompson just needs reps, there’s a huge difference practice wise between being the starter and being the backup.

Dawgology
10-29-2018, 08:14 AM

Well said! I want KT to succeed because I think he is a really good QB. I’m sure him getting reps with the first team in Bowl season, spring and fall practice will help him develop more.

fader2103
10-29-2018, 08:43 AM
Why would it be wasting a scholly if that guy is your best QB?

Bo Bounds going on and on today about how much KT struggles in practice

You mean to tell me he stopped talking about his weekend with Bartoo, and how much he loves Gardner Minshew now?

God, I stopped listening to him, got pulled in to listening to him today because I rode to work with someone.

TrapGame
10-29-2018, 08:53 AM
If it's true that KT is still greatly struggling with this offense at this point after a spring, fall and practice reps I doubt very seriously Joe will anoint him the starter next year. It will be Mayden or Schrader.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:00 AM
If it's true that KT is still greatly struggling with this offense at this point after a spring, fall and practice reps I doubt very seriously Joe will anoint him the starter next year. It will be Mayden or Schrader.

So no grad transfer? He just goes straight to Mayden or Schrader? That doesn't make any sense unless we are just punting a season

Johnson85
10-29-2018, 09:05 AM
It is a distinct possibility that the two starting Qb’s for the Spring game are Shrader and Logan Burnett...

are you basing this on Shrader's hype and hearing good things about Burnett? Or hearing awful things about Key and Mayden? Or hearing that Key and/or Mayden will be transferring at Christmas? or what?

TrapGame
10-29-2018, 09:07 AM
So no grad transfer? He just goes straight to Mayden or Schrader? That doesn't make any sense unless we are just punting a season

You act like a grad transfer is going to come in here and be Trace ****ing McSorely. That's not how it works Gun and you know it. There is no guarantee some 5th year wonder boy is gonna pick up Joe's system. I damn sure wouldn't trust the Clemson Refugee. He lost his job for a reason.

Dawgology
10-29-2018, 09:12 AM
You mean to tell me he stopped talking about his weekend with Bartoo, and how much he loves Gardner Minshew now?

God, I stopped listening to him, got pulled in to listening to him today because I rode to work with someone.

See I don't believe this at all. He showed out against SFA in his first game under the new system. You can't tell me that SFA was easier than practice. Some people are good in practice and some are good in game.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:12 AM
You act like a grad transfer is going to come in here and be Trace ****ing McSorely. That's not how it works Gun and you know it. There is no guarantee some 5th year wonder boy is gonna pick up Joe's system. I damn sure wouldn't trust the Clemson Refugee. He lost his job for a reason.

You're correct, but at least it gives you a chance. If KT, Mayden, & Schrader aren't ready, Joe has no choice but to take that chance. Better to take a shot on a grad transfer that may not be good than settle for a one of our younger QBs that we know are not good.

I don't want a grad transfer. My hope is that someone take the bull by the horns & gets better, but I'm also not going to be closed minded & throw in the towel on next season because I want to appease the guys currently on the roster.

TrapGame
10-29-2018, 09:23 AM
You're correct, but at least it gives you a chance. If KT, Mayden, & Schrader aren't ready, Joe has no choice but to take that chance. Better to take a shot on a grad transfer that may not be good than settle for a one of our younger QBs that we know are not good.

I don't want a grad transfer. My hope is that someone take the bull by the horns & gets better, but I'm also not going to be closed minded & throw in the towel on next season because I want to appease the guys currently on the roster.

We're not getting a grad transfer. One year of a guy that might grasp Joe's offense. And after next year we're back at square one hoping a younger guy is ready. But in the meantime a roster of QBs (except for probably Schrader) gets their egos hurt and we have a mass exodus at the spot. Not smart.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:25 AM
We're not getting a grad transfer.

Is this JoMo? Spoke like a person of authority here

TrapGame
10-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Is this JoMo? Spoke like a person of authority here

No, just common sense.

Let me put it this way. If we are looking for a grad transfer then Joe's got big problems with his offensive philosophy and QBs on his roster. That ain't good.

And if we do get a one and done grad QB it will be so that Schrader gets a year in the offense to run it the next year. And if that's the case we better hit up a couple JUCO QBs cause we won't have any others on the roster.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2018, 09:31 AM
No, just common sense.

If we don't have an SEC caliber QB on this roster that can run JoMo's offense at an adequate level, then it's common sense to address it. Not the other way round.

TrapGame
10-29-2018, 09:45 AM
If we don't have an SEC caliber QB on this roster that can run JoMo's offense at an adequate level, then it's common sense to address it. Not the other way round.

Then Joe's offense is fool's gold.

Cooterpoot
10-29-2018, 09:45 AM

We can't figure out this offense in a spring/summer and 8 games in. You think another QB coming in will learn it in that same amount of time? Nope.

TrapGame
10-29-2018, 09:46 AM
We can't figure out this offense in a spring/summer and 8 games in. You think another QB coming in will learn it in that same amount of time? Nope.

HELLO!!!

Thank you CP!

Johnson85
10-29-2018, 10:24 AM
I'm not opposed to getting a grad transfer, but we're not getting a big name grad transfer unless they think it's very likely they'll start. Kelly Bryant lost his starting job because a freshman was a more complete QB. He doesn't look like a good bet to come in and learn our offense and be a good passer.