PDA

View Full Version : Hughes out at JSU

Dawgfan77
10-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Would love for joe to add him to off field staff

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Absolute no brainer to add him to the off the field staff.

I hate it for him because I've heard he's a good guy and he was here for awhile.

Homedawg
10-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Would love for joe to add him to off field staff

Tried to hire him when he got here. Better find away to find a spot now.

DownwardDawg
10-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Great guy. Great coach. And very good recruiter. We need him on staff.

HoopsDawg
10-28-2018, 05:51 PM
No brainer to offer him a job. Create one if you have to.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Didn't he take a paid decrease to go to JSU?

DownwardDawg
10-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Yes. But to be the Head Coach.

Really Clark?
10-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Hire him today, find a way to make him an off field recruiter (someone has to be sick or something) and don’t even let him leave from Jackson. Just recruit from there and all over the pine belt. Done, wrap them in Maroon and White.

RocketDawg
10-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Why did JSU let him go?

yjnkdawg
10-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Yep, but he really wanted to be a HC. Even a pay cut to do so.

Gutter Cobreh
10-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Why did JSU let him go?

From what I saw, he wasn't fired. It stated his contract wouldn't be renewed. I suppose he's technically still a JSU employee until mid-Dec.

My guess on why he wasn't renewed is because he wasn't accepting transfers, opting instead to recruit high school kids. Also, he just got thumped by Southern.

yjnkdawg
10-28-2018, 06:25 PM
No brainer to offer him a job. Create one if you have to.

Be great if Rockey's old job was still vacant but it isn't. Need to do or create something to get him back here.

ZedFedder
10-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Yeah, this is a Mississippi guy through and through. Would give us a huge boost in regards to HS coaches around the State with this new staff.

LC Dawg
10-28-2018, 07:04 PM
I'll bet Mullen comes after Coach Hughes for a good connection to Mississippi kids. I don't know how much money Florida can throw at him but I know he doesn't like Mullen.
Ole Miss will want him too but I don't think he would consider them with all their uncertainty.

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 07:14 PM
From what I saw, he wasn't fired. It stated his contract wouldn't be renewed. I suppose he's technically still a JSU employee until mid-Dec.

My guess on why he wasn't renewed is because he wasn't accepting transfers, opting instead to recruit high school kids. Also, he just got thumped by Southern.

It's a nice way of saying he was fired. I guess.

I don't think it was the recruiting that was the issue. He just lost their homecoming to North Alabama which is technically a lower division from JSU I think unless they moved up and then Southern is a rival of theirs. He was on the hot seat at the beginning of the year and the offense hasn't scored much even with Hal Mumme as their OC.

Former MSU DL coach John Hendrick is their interim coach now.

If I'm JSU I'm on the phone with Sam Washington right now. The guy beat Charlotte last year and beat East Carolina this year and went 12-0 in 2017. He went to Mississippi Valley. He's probably the best HC in the HBCU leagues right now IMO.

http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500&ATCLID=205214925&Q_SEASON=2018

HoopsDawg
10-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Be great if Rockey's old job was still vacant but it isn't. Need to do or create something to get him back here.

That would be the perfect role for him.

Bothrops
10-28-2018, 07:42 PM
JSU and the rest of the SWAC should quit football, period. Good change isn't a common thing, but this just makes too much sense.

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 07:48 PM
JSU and the rest of the SWAC should quit football, period. Good change isn't a common thing, but this just makes too much sense.

It definitely could use some major restructuring. You have the big time "have's" like JSU and Southern but then there are teams like Valley that bring the league down.

Bothrops
10-28-2018, 08:31 PM
It definitely could use some major restructuring. You have the big time "have's" like JSU and Southern but then there are teams like Valley that bring the league down.

Perhaps. Maybe they should look into cutting the weakest programs and merge the remaining SWAC members with the MEAC. Either that, or just let her die a slow death.

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Perhaps. Maybe they should look into cutting the weakest programs and merge the remaining SWAC members with the MEAC. Either that, or just let her die a slow death.

That would be the best option. The HBCU's are kind of stuck in between I-AA and D-2. Moreso in the SWAC. It's much more rare for a SWAC team to be competitive with a FCS team than a MEAC team.

bulldawg28
10-28-2018, 10:56 PM

So kill tradition huh? The university knows it's not competing with the likes of the power 5 programs. All swac programs carry a rich tradition which I won't go into due this isn't the political board. Should we kill the cowbell tradition? No one cares for it other than buldog fans. However, it brings value to those who care for it. It's the same with Swac football.

BhamDawg205
10-28-2018, 11:04 PM
So kill tradition huh? The university knows it's not competing with the likes of the power 5 programs. All swac programs carry a rich tradition which I won't go into due this isn't the political board. Should we kill the cowbell tradition? No one cares for it other than buldog fans. However, it brings value to those who care for it. It's the same with Swac football.

Agree 100%

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 11:04 PM

I don't think restructuring would be killing it. I think a super HBCU league would have the opposite effect for those schools because it would enhance those programs while at the same time allowing the lesser SWAC schools to be in a league where they could build a better program within their financial constraints.

There are some strong HBCU D-2 programs like Tuskegee.

Jack Lambert
10-29-2018, 08:25 AM

The should move to Division II and be done with it.