PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Texas A&M 2018

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 04:32 PM
I think Fitz played the best game from a quarterbacking perspective that I have seen his entire career here. No interceptions and some deep touchdown passes with touch on them. Well done. And around 65% on his completion percentage. That's something to build on. Plus he still had his typical rushing numbers. That's the Fitz I envisioned us having a the beginning of the year. Key needs to step it up or we're going to have to get a grad transfer. Hopefully we will be able to work him in some.

We ran on the SEC's best rushing defense without one of our best running backs. When Hill gets back in a week or so we will be even better at the running the ball the rest of the year. Using Hill and Aeris as a tandem is the best way to utilize them. Even though Aeris didn't have a 100 yard night- he was efficient and was able to run on them when given the opportunity.

Welcome to the SEC Stephen Guidry! Our WR's were 100% better this game. They fought for balls. Osirus appears to have his confidence back. If they keep playing like that the rest of the year we're going to be dynamic.

The o-line did well. They were why we were able to run on the best run defense in the SEC. They allowed a couple of sacks but I don't think they were the main reason for that.

Sweat was in their LT's head the whole night which was fun to watch. It's also good to see guys like Rivers, Kobe Jones, and Fletcher Adams who will be here next year making plays because we're going to need them next year when our guys graduate.

Erroll Thompson played his best game in his career so far. He looked like an All-SEC player and was dominant at times. Having him back next year will be huge- he reminds me a little bit of Barrin Simpson from a leadership standpoint.

Our corners were both pretty solid against a team that passed a lot. I like how Jamal Peters will get in on the run game some too if he needs to and Dantzler is a very good corner. Our safeties were good for the most part other than letting a couple of guys get behind them but not bad. We have to learn how to catch passes in the secondary better- we should have had about 3-4 INT's.

Our defense is absolutely filthy. Their only touchdown came when they held one of our guys blatantly and it wasn't called and then one of their field goals was because of a terrible punt which put the ball on the 29.

Special teams was OK except for the punting. I feel like I say that after every game.

Nice win by Joe and MSU. Joe has now tied Dan Mullen's record for wins in year one and has homecoming up next. Losing the three games we have sucks but the fact of the matter is IF we take care of business we can still win 8 and go to a NYD bowl. Although I am interested to see where we end up in the rankings. We could be behind as many as five SEC teams (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, and Kentucky) which may put us on the fringe of the NYD bowls and put us somewhere like the Liberty or Music City Bowl. We need to get behind this staff because if he can get his players in I have no doubt that we will score tons of points and have a lot more night like last night.

Captain Falcon
10-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Legit chance we end the year 8-4 with all four losses being to teams that went 10-2 or better. Yeah the way we lost those games was really tough to watch, and there’s a solid chance the Alabama game will be another game like those three, but if we take care of business in the three games we should win then I’m willing to give Joe the benefit of the doubt on many of those losses and chalk it up to being part of the SEC learning curve for him. His play calling is not always perfect, but you can’t accuse the man of not making adjustments based on the Auburn and A&M games.

Last night was awesome, but we have to keep it going. Throw out the Alabama game because I don’t know how much it really matters unless we somehow pull off the enormous upset. Finish strong in the other three games and I will still have full faith in Moorhead as we move forward in future years.

RocketDawg
10-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Legit chance we end the year 8-4 with all four losses being to teams that went 10-2 or better. Yeah the way we lost those games was really tough to watch, and there’s a solid chance the Alabama game will be another game like those three, but if we take care of business in the three games we should win then I’m willing to give Joe the benefit of the doubt on many of those losses and chalk it up to being part of the SEC learning curve for him. His play calling is not always perfect, but you can’t accuse the man of not making adjustments based on the Auburn and A&M games.

Last night was awesome, but we have to keep it going. Throw out the Alabama game because I don’t know how much it really matters unless we somehow pull off the enormous upset. Finish strong in the other three games and I will still have full faith in Moorhead as we move forward in future years.

Well, we almost pulled off the upset last year. And we have essentially the same team this year ... but they have Tua. Winning isn't impossible, but it's probably down in the 5% or so range. Maybe we can at least stop their streak of scoring a TD on the first possession (unless LSU does it).

yjnkdawg
10-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Well, we almost pulled off the upset last year. And we have essentially the same team this year ... but they have Tua. Winning isn't impossible, but it's probably down in the 5% or so range. Maybe we can at least stop their streak of scoring a TD on the first possession (unless LSU does it).

When we play Bama, our DL should be the best that they have seen this year.

Todd4State
10-28-2018, 07:17 PM

It was also in Starkville which is a HUGE difference. Even Alabama doesn't play quite as well on the road.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2018, 09:07 AM
When we play Bama, our DL should be the best that they have seen this year.

Was listening to Barrett Salee's show coming home yesterday and he had a guest on talking about Bama's remaining games and they were talking about defense and they got to us and went on for about 5 minutes talking about our defense being elite. Said Simmons and Sweat are going to give Bama problems.