PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Quick Thoughts - Texas A&M

War Machine Dawg
10-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Peeps, here's my quick thoughts on the aTm game.

1. That was a BIG win and desperately needed. We're on pace for an 8-4 season.

2. Offense looked so much better. It wasn't the run heavy gameplan we all want, but it was perfectly designed to exploit the aTm weaknesses.

3. Fitz rediscovered his mojo. It also helps that he's aTm kryptonite. You could really see the confidence from the outset. I don't think we'll ever know just how big throwing that early TD was. And the TD run to seal the game was fantastic to watch. Who knows if it'll last, but it was good to see a glimpse of the old Fitz.

On a statistical note, Fitz tied Boobie for the all-time lead in career rushing TDs and passed Tyler Russell for 4th all-time in passing yards.

4. Stephen Guidry showed why he was so highly sought after last night. Huge game from him. We've got to keep feeding the guy because he can really make big plays and stretch the field.

5. We miss Kylin's explosiveness in the run game and his hands out of the backfield. That said, A-Train showed why he deserves more snaps. While he's never going to win a footrace, he's almost always going to get positive yards and is an outstanding blocker in pass pro.

6. OL had a really good night. Need them to keep up that level of play.

7. I said it last week, but I'll say it again: Our D is national championship good. They essentially shutdown one of the best offenses in the SEC so far this season. Yeah, aTm got a couple of big plays and a TD, but you had to think they would. Fact is, it took a perfect play call for them to score.

8. Our DL is the best in the nation. Talented and deep doesn't even begin to do them justice.

9. #54 for aTm is going to spend the rest of his life checking his closet, the shower, under the bed, etc. for Montez Sweat. As a buddy texted me last night: "It's a good thing #54 is wearing dark pants so you can't see him shit himself when Sweat lines up across from him."

10. Jeffery Simmons is good enough to go #1 overall. He probably won't, but he's good enough. The way he just completely stopped the momentum of aTm's RB down near the goal line was freakish.

11. Remember I said this 1-2 years from now: Errol Thompson is going to play on Sundays. He's easily our best LB right now. Dude is big, fast, has great instincts and plays mean. I could watch him light guys up all day.

12. Landrews needs to start ahead of Leo Lewis. I really thought Leo would bounce back this season now that all the NCAA stuff is behind him. But he's been as bad and probably worse than last year. Frankly, he's been a huge disappointment. His All-American freshman season is a distant memory and looks like an aberration. It's a damn shame, because he's throwing away NFL tools.

13. Our DBs had a really good night on the whole. It's more impressive considering we didn't have Cole. The only real criticism I would have is the number of picks we dropped. It was at least 3-4 before ET got the one in the endzone.

14. I really thought Moorhead mismanaged the end of the first half with a 4 point lead. I can understand the decision to go for it on 4th and 3, but throwing a damn bomb? WTF? Then we screwed up on D and wound up trailing at the half instead of having the lead.

hacker
10-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Landrews weighs 190 and is a DB. Did you mean Gay?

DanDority
10-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Landrews is starting now in place of Cole

Commercecomet24
10-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Good stuff, WMD! Is it just me or do our players look faster and stronger this year, especially the defense.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Why would Landrews start ahead of Leo Lewis? They don't even play the same position.

msbulldog
10-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Errol Thompson arrives with bad intentions!

RiverCityDawg
10-28-2018, 03:36 PM
You mean Gay should start ahead of Lewis, and you would be correct. He and Gay already alternate every possession. Gay isn't quite ready yet but at least he looks for contact and doesn't do stupid crap. Lewis looks like he's trying to avoid a tackle more often than not.

Thank goodness for Erroll, who plays damn near the whole game. He came out one play after being shaken up. Washington comes in, they promptly run it right up the middle for a long gain. Erroll comes back in and they are forced to try a field goal. He's pretty much the most critical player on that side of the ball because of the drop off after him. And he's a beast.

RougeDawg
10-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Good writeup. One thing I noticed last night that I have not seen mentioned was the offense getting lined up much quicker. And going through the audibles much quicker. We were not snapping the ball with under 5 seconds on the play clock and giving the defense the advantage of gearing up, knowing we were about to snap it. A&M did something similar and gotnus to jump numerous times.

MaroonFlounder
10-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Lewis looks like he's trying to avoid a tackle more often than not.

Yep. If you watch replay, Leo avoids the pileup at the end of plays. He has his eyes toward NFL combine and draft stock and doesn't want to get injured. And I don't like to call guys out on effort, but Leo has had to deal with more than most all student-athletes because of the NCAA stuff and the fact that the douchebags in sharkland want him to die in a house fire (their words) I hope Leo goes on to a solid career at the next level. He doesn't play smart at times though. He's had some PFs (not counting the one at UK , which was BS)