PDA

View Full Version : For a defense to be elite, all 3 levels...

BeastMan
10-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Must have an elite player. I knew we were elite on the DL w/Simmons & Sweat. I knew Abrams was elite on the back-end. I wasn?t sure at LB in the preseason. I knew Erroll was a good player (like Richie Brown good) and I thought Gay had elite potential. I?m hear to say Erroll Thompson is an elite SEC LB. Dude is fast, explosive, and sets the physicality tone for our defense. He?ll play on Sundays and if he can drop a good 40 he?s a 3rd round or better guy. Even if he drops a 4.8 he?s making a team. Dude is just a player. Love that guy.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2018, 10:03 AM
You forgot he will just plain knock the shit out of you.

dawgday166
10-28-2018, 10:21 AM
Must have an elite player. I knew we were elite on the DL w/Simmons & Sweat. I knew Abrams was elite on the back-end. I wasn?t sure at LB in the preseason. I knew Erroll was a good player (like Richie Brown good) and I thought Gay had elite potential. I?m hear to say Erroll Thompson is an elite SEC LB. Dude is fast, explosive, and sets the physicality tone for our defense. He?ll play on Sundays and if he can drop a good 40 he?s a 3rd round or better guy. Even if he drops a 4.8 he?s making a team. Dude is just a player. Love that guy.

That guy was sideline to sideline and all over the place last night. And when he shows up, he bring the lumber.

BeastMan
10-28-2018, 10:51 AM
That guy was sideline to sideline and all over the place last night. And when he shows up, he bring the lumber.

Yep. And he makes the calls and lines everyone up.

Sacrifice
10-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Another player that has been really standing out to me is Cam Dantzler. He's quietly becoming one of the top dbs in the SEC. you rarely hear his name called and when they do throw his way, which is not a lot, he's got a blanket over his guy.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Erroll reminds me of Johnny Cooks. And like sacrifice said Dantzler has been a shutdown corner. I can't remember the last reception he gave up. Our defense is elite and maybe the best in the country. If it ain't it don't take long to call roll!

WSOPdawg
10-28-2018, 11:31 AM

Agree, and I loved Richie, but I think Eroll is significantly better, hence he should easily be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

dawgday166
10-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Agree, and I loved Richie, but I think Eroll is significantly better, hence he should easily be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

No offense but it's not even close IMO. Ritchie regressed from his So to Sr year. His Sr year he played patti-cake football too much. Might have had something to do with Sirmon, don't know.

Right now Thompson is looking as good as BMac ever did IMO. Every game he's all over the place and laying the wood too. I also believe he leads the team in picks with 2.

BuckyIsAB****
10-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Smitherman aint bad either

BeastMan
10-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Wasn’t nessesarily comparing his game to Richie’s game. What I meant was Richie was a good cfb player, just not a legit NFL talent. I was comfortable saying Erroll was that type of talent. This year he’s shown he has taken it to the next level. For the NFL, scouts are going to really key on his length and 40 time. That will determine if Erroll is a 3rd round guy or a late draft to FA flyer guy. That said, even if he’s the latter, I think he makes a team and plays on Sunday. He’s a player.

BeastMan
10-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Right now Thompson is looking as good as BMac ever did IMO. Every game he's all over the place and laying the wood too. I also believe he leads the team in picks with 2.

As a player he looks better than BMac imo. What BMAC had that scouts absolutely love is his physical skill set. BMAC is a generational talent. He’s not a generational player but you just don’t see athletes like BMAC often. I feel pretty comfortable saying Erroll will be a better college player when it’s all said and done but might not get drafted as high.

BeastMan
10-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Smitherman aint bad either

Yes he has. We haven’t missed a beat without Peters and Smitherman and Dantzler deserve all the credit. And gotta give Chris Rayford a shout-out. He’s been really good on special teams and as the nickel cover guy.