PDA

View Full Version : Super Conferences

Rick Danko
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Listening to H2H Matt keeps talking of the need for 4 super conferences. Is there any scenario where if this happened State or Ole Miss was left out? Opinions?

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
No. No chance either is left out. 20 teams per conference is my guess on how it ends up.

Rick Danko
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Well let's say it is 4-16 team conferences so your looking at 64 rather than 80, for discussions sake. I could see both easily being in the 80 but 64 presents a tighter scenario and could get interesting.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
No. No chance either is left out. 20 teams per conference is my guess on how it ends up.

heard this also

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I just don't see how. We are a charter member of the SEC. They may add more teams to the SEC and they may even change the name but it will still be the SEC.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Well let's say it is 4-16 team conferences so your looking at 64 rather than 80, for discussions sake. I could see both easily being in the 80 but 64 presents a tighter scenario and could get interesting.

It's going to grow to 80-100. You dont want to limit yourself to 64 teams. It's about money and more teams bring more fans- and more money. But you cut it off at 80-100 because there are some places that just cant be part of it.

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 06:02 PM
it's been said for over a decade (by Jackie) that we're headed to super conferences. 20 teams per conference. I suspect it'll be the ACC (ACC and Big East join), SEC (robbing some from the ACC and Big12), the BigTen (adding ND and some Big 12 North teams with possibly some ), and Pac12 (robbing the Big12, Moutain West, and maybe the WAC).

80 teams with two to four divisions each. The NCAA will go bye-bye and the four conferences will self police themselves.

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I can see a time where we have a 20 team "SEC" but the reality is we will mainly play the 10 teams in our division. Just like we hardly ever play Georgia and Tennessee in football right now.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 06:09 PM
it's been said for over a decade (by Jackie) that we're headed to super conferences. 20 teams per conference. I suspect it'll be the ACC (ACC and Big East join), SEC (robbing some from the ACC and Big12), the BigTen (adding ND and some Big 12 North teams with possibly some ), and Pac12 (robbing the Big12, Moutain West, and maybe the WAC).

80 teams with two to four divisions each. The NCAA will go bye-bye and the four conferences will self police themselves.

That would be interesting. Would we benefit at all from this? Or would it hurt us?

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
That would be interesting. Would we benefit at all from this? Or would it hurt us?

It depends. Baseball would probably benefit a LOT from it- no Title IX. If Archie Manning is the President of it, we're going to get royally screwed in football. Which is not any different than now.

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
It's likely going to happen. 64 won't work, I was told, because of the first four out problem. They want to set it to 80 so there is no perception someone got left out. These four conferences each put a team in the four team playoff as well.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Would be the same- We'd still have to beat A&M, LSU, UPig, Bammer, etc to win our side of the conference and advance.

We missed our chance in 1998 to ever win the SEC in my lifetime I'm afraid

Behrdawg
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Thats what they are saying. And there is absolutely no way we will be left out. The SEC will stay together as well as its charter members- MSU and UM are charter members.

Oh- and then all the ADs and Presidents can tell the NCAA to go jump off a cliff. That will be a glorious day

Behrdawg
10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Would be the same- We'd still have to beat A&M, LSU, UPig, Bammer, etc to win our side of the conference and advance.

We missed our chance in 1998 to ever win the SEC in my lifetime I'm afraid

Actually, Coach, I think there were about 4 straight years we should have won the west. 1998 we should have won it all. We had UT beat, too. ****

Coach34
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Actually, Coach, I think there were about 4 straight years we should have won the west. 1998 we should have won it all. We had UT beat, too. ****

well, you can throw 99 in there also...we dropped too many games in 2000

We wont ever be that close again IMO...the SEC has grown to the point that it just wont be feasible for the little guys to pull it off

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
After watching the MSU/Alabama game in 1999- there was no way in hell the SEC was going to let us win the West two years in a row.

cbrunt29
10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
It would be our luck if Texas and Oklahoma came to the SEC West.

PassInterference
10-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Slightly OT..

Something else Jackie said in his 247 column today...He says Roy Kramer hoped SEC schools would play a couple tough non-conf opponents every year. Also says he (Sherrill) didn't have much say so in it. Facts will show in that timeframe that LT scheduled West Virginia, Oregon, OSU (not the Advocare bowl), and Texas.

That damn LT was Kramer's (and Slive's) lapdog.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2013, 06:32 PM
After watching the MSU/Alabama game in 1999- there was no way in hell the SEC was going to let us win the West two years in a row.

Yep. I was in the stands at Bryant Denny that day. Total screw job.

Jack Lambert
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Isn't this what we basically have now? Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, Big 10 and SEC. Everyone else just plays each other and once per year they get a big pay check to get smacked around by one of the big conferences members.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Isn't this what we basically have now? Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, Big 10 and SEC. Everyone else just plays each other and once per year they get a big pay check to get smacked around by one of the big conferences members.

Well, when it goes to 20- there will be 9 conference games...and then you will probably play other Supers with your other games. No more playing SWAC or bullshit teams I would imagine- making it tougher on the little guys

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-16-2013, 07:01 PM
It would be our luck if Texas and Oklahoma came to the SEC West.

Zero chance on texas

PassInterference
10-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Well, when it goes to 20- there will be 9 conference games...and then you will probably play other Supers with your other games. No more playing SWAC or bullshit teams I would imagine- making it tougher on the little guys

One the plus side, we probably get rid of some bullshit NCAA rules.

A Bama can have a huge payroll, but they can only field one team. There is room for us if we're allowed to compete.

Hell, I'd support a draft.

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Zero chance on texas

We know the Pac14, B1G, and SEC aren't dissolving. That leaves either the Big12 or ACC that must dissolve. The ACC is in much better shape than the Big12 right now. So where's Texas going to go if indeed it's the Big12 that must dissolve. Remember one of these conferences has to go to make it 4 with 20 teams each.

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Texas will go to the Pac12 before they join the sec. They'd even go to the bigTen before the SEC.

dawgs
10-16-2013, 07:19 PM
We know the Pac14, B1G, and SEC aren't dissolving. That leaves either the Big12 or ACC that must dissolve. The ACC is in much better shape than the Big12 right now. So where's Texas going to go if indeed it's the Big12 that must dissolve. Remember one of these conferences has to go to make it 4 with 20 teams each.

texas almost went to the pac 12 (along with others) a couple years ago. the pac 12 has the least viable regional options, so i'd imagine if this happened, the pac 12 would go after texas, tx tech, tcu, baylor, oklahoma, and okie st for 6 of their 8 new teams, then the last 2 would be boise and byu (maybe fresno gets in the discussion?). there isn't going to be a 3rd party overhauling the entire alignment, things would happen within the framework of the current conferences.

dawgs
10-16-2013, 07:21 PM
It's likely going to happen. 64 won't work, I was told, because of the first four out problem. They want to set it to 80 so there is no perception someone got left out. These four conferences each put a team in the four team playoff as well.

it would really be a perfectly set up 8 team playoff.

quarters - conf CGs between division winners
semis - 4 conf CG winners
finals

Coach34
10-16-2013, 07:34 PM
it would really be a perfectly set up 8 team playoff.

quarters - conf CGs between division winners
semis - 4 conf CG winners
finals

It's the same if you had 4-20 team Supers....just take the top 2 from each conference- makes a final 8

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 07:44 PM
These 4 Super Conferences won't work for the other sports not named football. Won't happen.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
These 4 Super Conferences won't work for the other sports not named football. Won't happen.

It's happening for football- all but guaranteed at this point

Rick Danko
10-16-2013, 07:53 PM
texas almost went to the pac 12 (along with others) a couple years ago. the pac 12 has the least viable regional options, so i'd imagine if this happened, the pac 12 would go after texas, tx tech, tcu, baylor, oklahoma, and okie st for 6 of their 8 new teams, then the last 2 would be boise and byu (maybe fresno gets in the discussion?). there isn't going to be a 3rd party overhauling the entire alignment, things would happen within the framework of the current conferences.

Interesting sidestep... Who would be the 6 teams to the SEC (assuming it stayed intact as is today)

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Interesting sidestep... Who would be the 6 teams to the SEC (assuming it stayed intact as is today)

Beat me to it.

I'm assuming we would target NCState, Virginia Tech.....who else?

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Except that will force the 80 schools to pay their football athletes bringing in a whole set of new problems because all the other athletes in all the other sports will want to be paid too. College football has become too big for its own good.

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 08:01 PM
NC, NC State, FSU, Clemson, Miami, VaTech, Maryland, West Virginia, and maybe some others would be prime candidates.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 08:05 PM
NC, NC State, FSU, Clemson, Miami, VaTech, Maryland, West Virginia, and maybe some others would be prime candidates.

I would like to add NC, NCState, Va tech, Maryland, Clemson, FSU

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 08:19 PM
The ACC isn't dissolving. They will be adding teams not losing them.

curmudgeon
10-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Southern Super Conference

Southwest Division
---------------
Missouri
TCU (from Big XII)
Baylor (from Big XII)
Texas A&M
Houston (from AAC)

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State head to the West Super Conference

South Central Division
----------
LSU
Arkansas
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Memphis (from AAC)

Southeastern Division
-----------
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Louisville (from ACC)

South Atlantic Division
--------------
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Florida State (from ACC)

Regular Season Play works much like NFL. You play the other four teams in your division every year and play another division on a rotating basis. You have three games against OOC teams (1 vs. other super conference, 2 vs. regional pool of lower division of 44 non-included teams + current FCS) Four division winners have a playoff that feeds into a national playoff (Essentially a 16-team national playoff)

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Southwest Division
---------------
Missouri
TCU (from Big XII)
Baylor (from Big XII)
Texas A&M
Houston (from AAC)

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State head to the West Super Conference

South Central Division
----------
LSU
Arkansas
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Memphis (from AAC)

Southeastern Division
-----------
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Louisville (from ACC)

South Atlantic Division
--------------
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Florida State (from ACC)

Regular Season Play works much like NFL. You play the other four teams in your division every year and play another division on a rotating basis. You have three games against OOC teams (1 vs. other super conference, 2 vs. regional pool of lower division of 44 non-included teams + current FCS) Four division winners have a playoff that feeds into a national playoff (Essentially a 16-team national playoff)

Did you come up with this? If so, impressive.

Do you really think Memphis would be in this?

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 08:47 PM
So in other words LSU is about to win 25 straight South Central Divisions. We sound like a gang. "Yo we da South Central"

Quaoarsking
10-16-2013, 10:04 PM
72 teams is enough:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/35_16_10_13_9_36_48.png

SEC - Adds Clemson, FSU, NC State, and Virginia Tech (because any coordinated Super Conference system will probably have a huge TV deal with profit sharing that makes the SEC Network-related concerns on FSU/Clemson moot).
Big 10 - Picks up Notre Dame and makes inroads into large academically elite universities in the South.
Pac-18 - Gets into TX/OK, and adds the two big programs out West who deserve to move up. Boise needs to do something about its academics to get there, or else it could go to UNLV, San Diego State, or Colorado State instead.
New Conference - picks up the remaining ACC/Big 12 teams, and the AAC teams who deserve a shot. Several old rivalries are reunited. Temple might be an alternate here if one of the teams is unable or unwilling to commit.

Are there really 8 more teams that deserve to be "in"? I don't think so; I think 72 is the perfect number.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Uncle Sam may not let us keep out the service academies

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 10:19 PM
This will finally kill Mississippi Southern.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 10:42 PM
72 teams is enough:

SEC - Adds Clemson, FSU, NC State, and Virginia Tech (because any coordinated Super Conference system will probably have a huge TV deal with profit sharing that makes the SEC Network-related concerns on FSU/Clemson moot).
Big 10 - Picks up Notre Dame and makes inroads into large academically elite universities in the South.
Pac-18 - Gets into TX/OK, and adds the two big programs out West who deserve to move up. Boise needs to do something about its academics to get there, or else it could go to UNLV, San Diego State, or Colorado State instead.
New Conference - picks up the remaining ACC/Big 12 teams, and the AAC teams who deserve a shot. Several old rivalries are reunited. Temple might be an alternate here if one of the teams is unable or unwilling to commit.

Are there really 8 more teams that deserve to be "in"? I don't think so; I think 72 is the perfect number.

Only thing I hate about this QK....that new Conference is weak as shit compared to the other 3. I hope they don't make it to where all of this lobbying for teams is going to end up creating one giant weak conference like that.

The last thing anybody wants is for Super Conferences to be created and there still end up being a weak team in the mix out of the "Big east" conference. I'm afraid whichever team came out of the new conference in your scenario would not be worthy of a playoff spot. But I guess that's part of it.

Behrdawg
10-17-2013, 01:33 AM

Southwest Division
---------------
Missouri
TCU (from Big XII)
Baylor (from Big XII)
Texas A&M
Houston (from AAC)

South Central Division
----------
LSU
Arkansas
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Memphis (from AAC)

Southeastern Division
-----------
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Louisville (from ACC)

South Atlantic Division
--------------
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Florida State (from ACC)

No way in hell Memphis enters the league nor would that division ever exist.

Negative Waves
10-17-2013, 07:52 AM
It would not surprise me to see the schools turn over control of the football teams to the universities' booster clubs. The Universities would in turn "rent" their facilities and logos to the clubs, allowing the school to get their cut in the revenues. The player's scholarships and salary would be paid by the club, which maybe would allow the universities to bypass Title IX. College football would become a separate entity unto itself outside the NCAA. The rest of the schools' athletic programs would stay in the NCAA.

curmudgeon
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
If they go to four 20-team conferences, teams like Houston, Memphis, Central Florida will make the cut and have to go somewhere. The limited inside knowledge that I have is that there will be a major push to keep things geographically aligned. Hard to send women's soccer and volleyball from South Florida to Boise State, or even Texas to Washington. That's why I think Memphis has a chance to latch on in this idea. Memphis will be willing to spend the money to make sure they are playing major college sports, while Louisiana Tech and USM just won't be able to. I just don't see Houston being in the same super conference as Syracuse.

The Super Conference/20 team idea is getting a lot of attention. each super conference has 4 divisions of 5, and the playoffs come out of that. Basketball and baseball might take the top two from each division and 16 wildcards for a 48-team tournament.

The ACC isn't breaking up. No chance of the SEC schools aligning with Clemson, FSU, NC State and Virginia Tech. Not happening. It would have already happened if it were going to. Florida State might flirt with it, which is why I have them in, but that could just as easily be Central Florida. The ACC will be the base of the East Coast Super Conference, not the Big East/AAC.

A couple of things that might surprise you:

Utah might help get BYU into the Western Super Conference, but I expect Boise State to be left out. A few years of a good football team is all they bring to the table. There are way more attractive possibilities, like San Diego State or New Mexico.

The Southern, of course would be an SEC base. I listed Houston and Memphis, but Kansas and Kansas State could be a possibility as well. Louisville makes geographic sense and doesn't have the ACC history, but Florida State is 50/50 whether they would leave the ACC.

East Coast and Midwestern Super Conferences could be 20 teams for football and 24 for other sports. The current Big East basketball teams would probably want to play with the big boys.

Other possible things to look for

Georgetown taking their football team all the way back to Major College status.
North Dakota State making a play to get into Major College status.
Borderline schools like North Texas, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, San Diego State, Colorado State, New Mexico - one or two of these will unexpectedly get in.
At least one or two schools like South Florida, Central Florida, Cincinnati will decide its best to not emphasize athletics on a large scale.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Memphis has no chance. Zero. Zilch.

Id guess unc and va tech are locks with the other 4 coming from a mix of oklahoma, wv, fsu, virginia, nc state.

dawgs
10-17-2013, 10:06 AM
72 teams is enough:

i don't think you'd see that new conference.

i think the sec might end up more with something like baylor, tcu, and the kansas schools. i'm not sure how much difference the $$ would be between that and taking 3 of the top 4 ACC schools, while also beefing up the middle of the conference, but not adding any top tier teams.

also, ND would stick with the ACC since they already have a partial membership deal in place. then add something like usf, ucf, wvu, cincy, maybe another school or 2?

big 10 would add something like iowa st, uconn, and maybe try to poach a couple of mid tier ACC schools.

curmudgeon
10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Memphis has no chance. Zero. Zilch.

Id guess unc and va tech are locks with the other 4 coming from a mix of oklahoma, wv, fsu, virginia, nc state.

You have to stop looking at it as the SEC. Its quite possible that the idea of conferences will be disbanded. Start thinking like pro sports. One big association with geographic divisions.

With the caveat that the ACC will be the base of the East Coast Super Conference, add six teams to the SEC.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will stay together, and Oklahoma will go with Texas. Baylor and the Pac 12 don't want anything to do with each other, so I could see Baylor. West Virginia as well is a possibility. In fact, that makes more sense to me than FSU leaving the ACC. Kansas and Kansas State, maybe. But that's only four. You need two more.

The SEC once considered Houston. They are probable. Louisville might, but they might be happy staying with the ACC with their former Big East buddies. Here are your only possibilities for the last spot that make sense geographically.

Arkansas State (no)
Louisiana Tech (strongest of the Louisiana candidates)
Memphis (brings a lot to basketball)
Southern Miss (no)
Louisiana-Lafayette (not before La Tech)
Louisiana-Monroe (not before La Tech or ULL)
UAB (probably not)
Middle Tennessee (darkhorse)
Georgia State (darkhorse)
Troy (not before UAB)
Tulane (probably doesn't have support from administration)
Rice (same as Tulane)

You could add South Florida/Central Florida, but they make better sense East Coast. Now, what if they go to 24-team Super Conferences? You have to add four more of these. And what if Kansas and Kansas State go to the Midwest?

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Deleted to start new thread

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
615, Im not going to take the time to respond other than No. You can take that or leave it. Im not speculating.

SheltonChoked
10-17-2013, 02:08 PM
BulldogBear

I agree. 64 teams due to geography, and the lack of Mountain state schools.

That 1933 decsion to break away from the Southern Conference and form the SEC looks better and better for MSU.

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Sorry, wasn't sure how to do that (delete and start over)

BulldogBear
10-17-2013, 02:11 PM
BulldogBear

I agree. 64 teams due to geography, and the lack of Mountain state schools.

That 1933 decsion to break away from the Southern Conference and form the SEC looks better and better for MSU.

Yeah, we'd be the one left out in a heartbeat if that were possible!!!

Johnson85
10-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Someone explain why the super conferences would have 80 teams?

Seems like that would be way too many to increase revenue over what the big boys are getting now. With the conferences you have now, you already have some BCS schools that don't make a lot of sense from a fan/tv set standpoint (and unfortunately, including both State and Ole Miss is one of the things that doesn't make sense). With 64 teams, you could still hit all the major TV markets and establish yourself as the college football league. Any schools left out would immediately start to descend to FCS or Div II status. By limiting play to within the 64, you're guaranteeing that basically every game will be meaningful, making TV contracts lucrative enough that the big boys would get a sizable increase in revenues, even after sharing it with the others in the 64.

I can see increasing the size to make sure you get schools like UCF, that have a huge student body, growing alumni base, and valuable tv market, but it doesn't seem like it would take 80 schools to include schools like this. Is it just politics (i.e., keeping schools like MSU and UM rather than excluding one) that is pushing it to 80 teams?