PDA

View Full Version : We could be in the Kelly Bryant sweepstakes..... Maybe.

Leroy Jenkins
10-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Coaches started following him. Who knows? Not saying its good or bad....there are positives and negatives either way.

ETA Did sausage-fingers Hadad tweet out his phone number in the open tab above the pic?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqdsqMTX0AEv1FM.jpg:large

msstate7
10-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Definetely should inquire.

BrunswickDawg
10-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Definetely should inquire.
Would something like landing Bryant reassure people that Moorhead might not be as bad as many think?

Quaoarsking
10-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Seems far fetched, but would be a game changer and would allow Shrader a year to pick up the system before taking the reins in 2020.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Would something like landing Bryant reassure people that Moorhead might not be as bad as many think?

I would feel a little better about him.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 04:54 PM

I would be encouraged. I don't see any way he can sell it to kelly though

Quaoarsking
10-26-2018, 05:01 PM
I would be encouraged. I don't see any way he can sell it to kelly though

Has he had contact with him before? I assume he was still at Fordham when Kelly was being recruited the first time.

civildawg
10-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Moorhead could make me think he?s not terrible by giving the ball to running backs and stop trying to make Fitzgerald something he?s not, not by getting Kelly Bryant

Quaoarsking
10-26-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm assuming Kelly wants a 100% guarantee that he'll be the starter next year, since he quit Clemson over not starting. The elite teams probanly can't or won't promise that.

I don't know if we should guarantee it, but it's very likely he would win our job next year, and he can look at our roster and film and know that.

Spiderman
10-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Moorhead could make me think he?s not terrible by giving the ball to running backs and stop trying to make Fitzgerald something he?s not, not by getting Kelly Bryant

yep

msstate7
10-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Maybe we should just pass on Bryant. I was shocked to see he had a 131.73 rating last season. That would've been good for 7th in the sec. He only ran for 3.46 per carry. Keep in mind he was facing acc defenses with a serious supporting cast talent advantage. If he had our supporting cast facing sec defenses, it would most likely be pretty ugly. Fitz had a 117.55 passer rating last season

dawgday166
10-26-2018, 05:35 PM
SMFH. Talk about someone who can't throw a football and can't read defenses.

Dawgfan77
10-26-2018, 05:56 PM
I would be shocked if he doesn?t end up at Ark

Cowbell
10-26-2018, 06:02 PM
SMFH. Talk about someone who can't throw a football and can't read defenses.
This. We better just adapt our offense to what we already have.

KOdawg1
10-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Bryant is Nick Fitzgerald except a slightly better passer. No thanks

Doggie_Style
10-26-2018, 07:39 PM
No thanks....I'll take my chances with KT...when given the opportunity KT is going to be good

Lord McBuckethead
10-26-2018, 09:39 PM
No thanks....I'll take my chances with KT...when given the opportunity KT is going to be good

Bingo. KT threw for like 70 TDs in LA his senior season. The place where dbs come from. Give the man 5 games and tell him to let it all out.

Cooterpoot
10-26-2018, 10:04 PM
You want to see a mass exodus of QBs, pull that crap.

yjnkdawg
10-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Nope , that would be like an OM move, and especially if he was told that he would be the starter when he stepped on campus. I can't see either of that happening. Especially the latter. If you do that then you are telling your other quarterbacks, sorry but we just aren't sure you are what we need to run this offense, so we have decided to go this route just in case. That would be going beyond stupid doing that.

yjnkdawg
10-26-2018, 10:24 PM

I think it will be a battle between KT and Mayden for the starting job next year, and I thiink Shrader will be red shirted if at all possible.

Bothrops
10-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Seems far fetched, but would be a game changer and would allow Shrader a year to pick up the system before taking the reins in 2020.

Since everyone seems certain that the future qb is Shrader, please tell me why Mayden is going to just lose out here??

Anybody?

Bothrops
10-26-2018, 10:52 PM
I would be shocked if he doesn?t end up at Ark

Me too, since Bama isn't looking. Don't know about Auburn.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2018, 11:09 PM
I think the bigger thing here would be the fact that we would get national media attention for landing a kid like this. Could change the perception of us. And he's not that bad guys. Let's be real.

parabrave
10-27-2018, 12:16 AM
Me too, since Bama isn't looking. Don't know about Auburn.

Well we are forgetting about our brethren to the north who always get someone like Bryant. This tells me if they are not inquiring about him then he can' throw.

Lance Harbor
10-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Kelly Bryant is no game changer. Think Jalen Hurts without the ability to read defenses (which Jalen doesn't have much of).

Hambone
10-27-2018, 10:08 AM
I called that number but he said he wasn?t Brian.... 🤷🏻*♂️

Hambone
10-27-2018, 10:09 AM
If Auburn isn’t looking then that should tell you something. #transferU

Leroy Jenkins
11-12-2018, 10:50 PM
A lot of ppl saying KB May be here this week for the Arky game.

msstate7
11-12-2018, 10:51 PM
A lot of ppl saying KB May be here this week for the Arky game.

Is it to see ark as much as seeing us?

fishwater99
11-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Sign him up..

Jarius
11-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Neither KT or Mayden will ever be good in this offense. It is precisely why we are looking for grad transfer quarterbacks. Joe knows what he needs at qb is not on the roster and the guy he likes will be a true freshman next year. Rosebowl said we are more than likely getting a grad transfer qb and it more than likely would not be Bryant. He is more of the same. Shraeder will determine whether or not Joe makes it past 3 years when he is a redshirt freshman. That has to be a frightening though for Moorhead.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 01:25 AM
Neither KT or Mayden will ever be good in this offense. It is precisely why we are looking for grad transfer quarterbacks. Joe knows what he needs at qb is not on the roster and the guy he likes will be a true freshman next year. Rosebowl said we are more than likely getting a grad transfer qb and it more than likely would not be Bryant. He is more of the same. Shraeder will determine whether or not Joe makes it past 3 years when he is a redshirt freshman. That has to be a frightening though for Moorhead.

Whether it's Bryant or someone else odds are we are bringing in a grad transfer QB for next year. We may do the same thing at WR depending on how recruiting goes.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 01:26 AM
Is it to see ark as much as seeing us?

Nope. We have a better program than Arkansas right now. And a much better chance of doing something big in the short term than they do. Which is something that matters to a grad transfer QB who will only be around for a year.

Pit Bull
11-13-2018, 03:22 AM
We have three 4 Star QBs in our pipeline. I don't see a need to go out and get another and risk having a couple of ours to leave the program. Not worth it. If JoMo can't gitter done with the 3 we have coming up, then he won't gitter done at all. I'm fine with turning it over to KT and Mayden, and redshirt Schraeder if at all possible.

Todd4State
11-13-2018, 04:02 AM
We have three 4 Star QBs in our pipeline. I don't see a need to go out and get another and risk having a couple of ours to leave the program. Not worth it. If JoMo can't gitter done with the 3 we have coming up, then he won't gitter done at all. I'm fine with turning it over to KT and Mayden, and redshirt Schraeder if at all possible.

Until we are at Alabama's level we should be going out and getting the best players possible. If the current QB's on the roster do not fit his system then he should be going out and finding QB's that can make it work. If the current QB's want to play next year then they need to figure out how to run Joe's system. Expecting a QB at this level to be able to read defenses is not an unreasonable expectation for a SEC QB.

99jc
11-13-2018, 07:09 AM
Hardhead fatass could sign Drew Bree's and he'd 17 it up just like he did this team.

Jarius
11-13-2018, 07:16 AM
You have to just stop looking at stars with our qbs. We have 2 guys that are highly rated dual threat tanks that fit Mullen’s offense. Mayden fits better than KT, but I doubt he would have been Moorhead’s first choice if he had a full recruiting cycle.

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2018, 08:06 AM
https://twitter.com/Im3Fly/status/1062195817182883840

dawgday166
11-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Until we are at Alabama's level we should be going out and getting the best players possible. If the current QB's on the roster do not fit his system then he should be going out and finding QB's that can make it work. If the current QB's want to play next year then they need to figure out how to run Joe's system. Expecting a QB at this level to be able to read defenses is not an unreasonable expectation for a SEC QB.

Alright Todd ... here is a list of current NFL QBs that played in the SEC.

https://www.al.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/07/a6656a49547348/how-many-former-sec-quarterbac.html

Most of these read Ds pretty well in college, although Etling surprises me some? Eli, Stafford, Cam, Dak, Kelly, Allen, McCarron (easy to read defenses post-snap when you're playing behind the best Oline Saban ever had and you have all day to throw the ball) all read Ds real well.

Point is .. they don't grow on trees. Tua has been going off his 1st read all year long for most part. This past weekend he had to look around post snap tho for mostly the 1st time this season. And, he didn't have the time he usually does when that has very rarely been the case before this past weekend. What exactly happened?

The SEC has won 9 of the last 14 Nattys. Cam and McCarron(2 Nattys) are the only 2 QBs that are in NFL from Natty winners. That leaves 6 QBs that were probably mostly average at reading Ds that won Nattys.

Fitz is the 2nd best QB we've ever had at MSU. From the entire list and with Etling making it ... if Fitz wants to play in NFL I'm almost willing to bet he'll get a chance.

So what I believe you're telling us is we need QBs like the ones listed above to run this offense?

Another question I have is ... when do you anticipate us getting to "Bama's level" in recruiting?

I look forward to getting those types of QBs listed above on a regular basis at MSU.

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Nope. We have a better program than Arkansas right now. And a much better chance of doing something big in the short term than they do. Which is something that matters to a grad transfer QB who will only be around for a year.

Unless this weekend changes things in a big way, we are behind Ark, AU and UNC. Not saying we can?t jump up there but Ark with Morris is a serious consideration for him. Miami is another visit but that looks just a fun visit

Whether it's Bryant or someone else odds are we are bringing in a grad transfer QB for next year. We may do the same thing at WR depending on how recruiting goes.

Yes we mostly will have a grad transfer QB. Very unlikely it?s Bryant.

Coursesuper
11-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Unless this weekend changes things in a big way, we are behind Ark, AU and UNC. Not saying we can?t jump up there but Ark with Morris is a serious consideration for him. Miami is another visit but that looks just a fun visit

Other than Bryant who are the options here?

msstate7
11-13-2018, 08:31 AM

Won't hurt my feelings. Don't understand how he'd be any better anyway... KB has a career rating of 132.8. Fitz is at 122.0. Keep in mind a couple things: Clemson has had 5 WRs drafted since 2016 and Bryant isn't even close to the runner fitz is

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Other than Bryant who are the options here?

IYOK probably has a good list of possible transfers. I’ve heard one other name besides Bryant that has been mentioned more than once. It’s pretty apparent they want a transfer QB. I won’t name the QB since it’s still in season and he is playing. Not someone sitting out like Bryant. But he is the top QB of the conference he plays in

RiverCityDawg
11-13-2018, 08:40 AM
IYOK probably has a good list of possible transfers. I’ve heard one other name besides Bryant that has been mentioned more than once. It’s pretty apparent they want a transfer QB. I won’t name the QB since it’s still in season and he is playing. Not someone sitting out like Bryant. But he is the top QB of the conference he plays in

You talking about the guy from North Texas? He was mentioned on More Cowbell, but he is really small and not a runner at all. He can sling it, but this offense has to have a true duel threat guy.

Coursesuper
11-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Fair enough.

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2018, 08:42 AM
You talking about the guy from North Texas? He was mentioned on More Cowbell, but he is really small and not a runner at all. He can sling it, but this offense has to have a true duel threat guy.

Pistols at 20 paces or swords?

msstate7
11-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Mason fine is listed at 5'11" 185 lbs. With the way we block the blindside, I give him 2 sec games before he's broken. His rating is pushing 150

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 09:07 AM

I will talk about the player after the season. In reference to Fine, he may be a little better runner than stats show. They have given up 22 sacks for 161 yards. Add that back in and he rushes for about 3 yards a carry in an offense that’s not designed for that. Good runner? No. But probably a little better than people think. McSorley avg 2.5 his first year, 3.41 last year and is up to 4.66 this season. Again sack yards would help McSorley’s avg and Penn St has not been great at pass protection. Of course looking at their sack allowed totals with Moorehead and this year...offensive scheme also may be a component of this issue as well. Size I have a concern with as well. Obviously I would think you eliminate QB power with him. Ha.

StarkVegasSteve
11-13-2018, 09:20 AM
It's obvious this staff doesn't see the development in KT which is why we're bringing in another QB. So let's go get Bryant or find our own Gardner Minshew and let Mayden and Schrader battle it out in 2020.

Jarius
11-13-2018, 09:27 AM

He is a true junior. Unless he is way ahead of schedule in the classroom he would have to sit a year.

BhamDawg205
11-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Why get a one year rental with huge ??? About his arm and isn't the great runner Fitz was LAST year.... So we want to go through the same up and downs at QB we're having now. At least Key and Mayden have a year in the offense. Let compete for the start and bring Schrader along to compete 2020.
JoMo seems to have no blueprint. His game plans seems to be experimenting this year, not building an identity. He'll what is our identity? What do we do well? Key and Mayden are his foundation. Schrader should be the future.

Jarius
11-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Why get a one year rental with huge ??? About his arm and isn't the great runner Fitz was LAST year.... So we want to go through the same up and downs at QB we're having now. At least Key and Mayden have a year in the offense. Let compete for the start and bring Schrader along to compete 2020.
JoMo seems to have no blueprint. His game plans seems to be experimenting this year, not building an identity. He'll what is our identity? What do we do well? Key and Mayden are his foundation. Schrader should be the future.

Probably because he has seen Mayden and KT all year and knows they are not what he needs. It’s pretty obvious he needs a guy that can throw it more than run it. Ideally whoever it is Needs to do both but a guy who can’t throw ends up getting you 4 losses in a year where you have the best defense in your school’s history.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Probably because he has seen Mayden and KT all year and knows they are not what he needs. It?s pretty obvious he needs a guy that can throw it more than run it. Ideally whoever it is Needs to do both but a guy who can?t throw ends up getting you 4 losses in a year where you have the best defense in your school?s history.

KB can't throw it. His rating is awful when you consider the wr talent (6 players drafted while he's been at Clemson) and that he didn't have to face the Clemson's defense in the acc. Bryant faced bama last year in playoffs. Here's his stats...

18/36 124 yds 3.4 per att 0 td 2 int

That was with 2 nfl draft pick WRs in the 2018 draft and renfrow. Now imagine him with our cast going against bama, LSU, etc

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2018, 10:03 AM
KB can't throw it. His rating is awful when you consider the wr talent (6 players drafted while he's been at Clemson) and that he didn't have to face the Clemson's defense in the acc. Bryant faced bama last year in playoffs. Here's his stats...

That was with 2 nfl draft pick WRs in the 2018 draft and renfrow. Now imagine him with our cast going against bama, LSU, etc

Well, if he's so horrible, you won't have worry about him beating out any of the guys on the current roster. He'll be depth. So no issue.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Well, if he's so horrible, you won't have worry about him beating out any of the guys on the current roster. He'll be depth. So no issue.

If we get him, he'll be promised the job. I just don't see him as a difference maker. I'd rather see if a month of bowl practice and an offseason could make a difference with KT or JM

Jarius
11-13-2018, 10:16 AM

We are not getting KB. It will be someone else, and whoever it is will not have worse accuracy than our current crop of qb’s, that is for sure.

NWADAWG
11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
I hope he sees UPig's QBs get sacked about 20 times and beat to oblivion by our defense. If I were a QB being recruited, UPig would have to really convince me$$ to take my chances behind their terrible O-line.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 10:25 AM
I hope he sees UPig's QBs get sacked about 20 times and beat to oblivion by our defense. If I were a QB being recruited, UPig would have to really convince me$$ to take my chances behind their terrible O-line.

Ark has given up less sacks than us in and out of conf

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2018, 10:31 AM
I'm not saying I have to have Kelly Bryant but he's shown he's a clearly better passer than Fitz or KT so far. KT sample size is small but in all 3 games his completion % has been lower than these worst games we want to pick out for Bryant. I don't think Bryant is a world beater but his floor his well established & wed be a 8-9 win team with him.

TrapGame
11-13-2018, 10:45 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Rosebowl told the Gene's folks we are definitely getting a transfer QB for next year.

Really Clark?
11-13-2018, 10:46 AM
I'm not saying I have to have Kelly Bryant but he's shown he's a clearly better passer than Fitz or KT so far. KT sample size is small but in all 3 games his completion % has been lower than these worst games we want to pick out for Bryant. I don't think Bryant is a world beater but his floor his well established & wed be a 8-9 win team with him.

Where are we? 3rd? 4th option for him coming into the weekend.

msstate7
11-13-2018, 10:48 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Rosebowl told the Gene's folks we are definitely getting a transfer QB for next year.

If it isn't Bryant, then we should keep that quiet. You aren't supposed to contact guys still on other teams... well, I'd think that's against the rules

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Where are we? 3rd? 4th option for him coming into the weekend.

My guess no better than 3rd

TrapGame
11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
My guess no better than 3rd

Finebaum's saying Arkansas is the foregone conclusion b/c of his relationship with Morris. He doubts KB changes his decision to another school. But, Finebaum has been wrong before.

dawgday166
11-13-2018, 11:56 AM
I don't think Bryant is the answer anyway. His % and QBRs are good but he plays in a league that has no defenses. And Clemson has far superior talent and skill position players than we have.

RiverCityDawg
11-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Pistols at 20 paces or swords?

Ha, Touche. I'll take dual pistols for my duel.

WPS
11-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Ark has given up less sacks than us in and out of conf

Yeah I'd say WR and Defense have been bigger issues this year for Arkansas than OL, but Hogs do lose 3 OL starters after this year while bringing in a great WR recruiting class so it could be flip flopped next year.