PDA

View Full Version : Would Kendal Briles' Offense Work in the SEC?

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2018, 08:53 AM
Would Kendal Briles' offense work in the SEC?

How would you know?

How would you feel if we hired Kendal Briles & his offense wasn't very effective through the first 7 games of the season?

If you wouldn't be ready to ditch him after those 7 games, then why are you ready to ditch Moorhead after 7 games?

I think this is an interesting discussion because when you insert another coach from another school, all of the sudden you think more objectively & less emotionally.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1055568449827754021

Quaoarsking
10-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Yes. All offenses that "won't work in the SEC" actually do when a competent coaching staff implements them with the appropriate players.

Cooterpoot
10-26-2018, 09:37 AM
It?d be the same because this team has talent and should be better. Period. Shitty football is shitty football regardless of the coach.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Obviously some of these stats are incomplete bc the season isn't over, but I found it interesting...

Baylor (with briles) 2015 = 616.2 ypg, 48.1 ppg
2016 (without briles) = 522.7 ypg, 34.6 ppg

FAU (with briles) 2017 = 498.6 ypg, 40.6 ppg
2018 (without briles) = 463.6 ypg, 30.7 ppg

Houston (without briles) 2017 = 428.2 ypg, 28.3 ppg
Houston (with briles) 2018 = 555.3 ypg, 48.7 ppg

Seems briles presence or absence made an immediate difference

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Obviously some of these stats are incomplete bc the season isn't over, but I found it interesting...

Baylor (with briles) 2015 = 616.2 ypg, 48.1 ppg
2016 (without briles) = 522.7 ypg, 34.6 ppg

FAU (with briles) 2017 = 498.6 ypg, 40.6 ppg
2018 (without briles) = 463.6 ypg, 30.7 ppg

Houston (without briles) 2017 = 428.2 ypg, 28.3 ppg
Houston (with briles) 2018 = 555.3 ypg, 48.7 ppg

Seems briles presence or absence made an immediate difference

You didn't answer the question

Really Clark?
10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Yes. All offenses that "won't work in the SEC" actually do when a competent coaching staff implements them with the appropriate players.

I kind of agree with that but we have seen this type offense from a coach who was thought of higher than Briles in Sumlin. He had success but not to the degree that many thought he would and ultimately got him fired. After Spurrier who was a head of the league with his scheme at Florida probably Spurrier again at So Car (admittedly the east was down at the time) and Bobby P at Arkansas running pass first schemes were the best vs all of the run first power schemes that have won the league. Whether from Pro, I or spread run first has had the best track record overall. I too would love to see what this system can do but there is also plenty inside Mooreheads system to fit and simplify for the personnel we have right now. That’s the biggest disappointment

Cooterpoot
10-26-2018, 09:55 AM
We avraged 26 points a game in the SEC last year. If we saw a fall of 6 points this year, it would be understandable. But we’ve lost 17 a game. Take out AU and it’s 20 a game. That’s terrible coaching.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 10:07 AM
We avraged 26 points a game in the SEC last year. If we saw a fall of 6 points this year, it would be understandable. But we’ve lost 17 a game. Take out AU and it’s 20 a game. That’s terrible coaching.

That's unintelligent. The only way to be intelligent is say none of this is on Moorhead.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2018, 10:15 AM
That's unintelligent. The only way to be intelligent is say none of this is on Moorhead.

Did anyone ever say that none of this is on Moorhead?

msstate7
10-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Did anyone ever say that none of this is on Moorhead?
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm of the opinion 100% of this is on Moorhead. He took over a mature (juniors and seniors everywhere) team that showed it could win games in this conference, and then he inexplicably tried to change our identity despite everyone and their brother knowing we aren't a passing team. Does it make you feel better about Moorhead that he was with our team all offseason and didn't recognize we freaking suck at straight passing? Moorhead even said no one has picked up his offense this fast? Hey fitz, clean off the mantel for that heisman. Moorhead had ZERO idea we were this bad at his offense. He's had zero answer either

dawgday166
10-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm of the opinion 100% of this is on Moorhead. He took over a mature (juniors and seniors everywhere) team that showed it could win games in this conference, and then he inexplicably tried to change our identity despite everyone and their brother knowing we aren't a passing team. Does it make you feel better about Moorhead that he was with our team all offseason and didn't recognize we freaking suck at straight passing? Moorhead even said no one has picked up his offense this fast? Hey fitz, clean off the mantel for that heisman. Moorhead has ZERO idea we were this bad at his offense. He's had zero answer either

This is exactly why I'm off the Moorhead bus. Regardless of what anyone says, we have enough talent on this team for any reasonably good OC to make adjustments so we can score 17 or better a game.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm of the opinion 100% of this is on Moorhead. He took over a mature (juniors and seniors everywhere) team that showed it could win games in this conference, and then he inexplicably tried to change our identity despite everyone and their brother knowing we aren't a passing team. Does it make you feel better about Moorhead that he was with our team all offseason and didn't recognize we freaking suck at straight passing? Moorhead even said no one has picked up his offense this fast? Hey fitz, clean off the mantel for that heisman. Moorhead has ZERO idea we were this bad at his offense. He's had zero answer either

This is the biggest red flag imo. It shouldn't take watching Fitz's tape very long to notice that he doesn't have the talent to work through his progressions. I don't know how Dan made him a competent passer but Fitz always was complete hit or miss on accuracy. Just looking back through some old box scores, he was usually at or below 50% against defenses with a pulse. Does Joe just have that big an ego that he thinks he could make him into a passer? Combine that with Fitz not actually doing anything until August and it is a complete recipe for disaster. It doesn't help that Joe fanned the flames by talking about Heismans and Championships.

Quaoarsking
10-26-2018, 11:48 AM

Let's wait for the whole year to be over before making such comparisons. Arkansas and Ole Miss will bring our PPG up a good bit

Dawg61
10-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm of the opinion 100% of this is on Moorhead. He took over a mature (juniors and seniors everywhere) team that showed it could win games in this conference, and then he inexplicably tried to change our identity despite everyone and their brother knowing we aren't a passing team. Does it make you feel better about Moorhead that he was with our team all offseason and didn't recognize we freaking suck at straight passing? Moorhead even said no one has picked up his offense this fast? Hey fitz, clean off the mantel for that heisman. Moorhead had ZERO idea we were this bad at his offense. He's had zero answer either

What's your point? We are in the same situation today we've been in the last month so why continue to bitch about it? We can't fire him today. You could shut the 17 up about it today though.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Let's wait for the whole year to be over before making such comparisons. Arkansas and Ole Miss will bring our PPG up a good bit

What about bama and aTm?

Really Clark?
10-26-2018, 11:52 AM

I agree but we have already matched some of our worse performing offenses in the last 30 years with 3 games less than 10 points per game. 2008 was the last time it happened at least 3 times.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 12:06 PM
We avg 26 ppg in sec last season. To match that we will have to avg 42.3 ppg over the last 4 sec games.

Om gives up 42.8
Ark gives up 40.0
aTm gives up 24.8
Bama gives up 18.4

So far, we've...
Scored 5 less on Kentucky than they give up
Scored 14 less on Florida than they give up
Scored 5 more on auburn than they give up
Scored 13 less on LSU than they give up.

I think it's safe to say we won't finish close to 26 ppg this year

dawgday166
10-26-2018, 12:08 PM
We avg 26 ppg in sec last season. To match that we will have to avg 42.3 ppg over the last 4 sec games.

Om gives up 42.8
Ark gives up 40.0
aTm gives up 24.8
Bama gives up 18.4

So far, we've...

If we somehow miraculously do that ... then I might be back on the Moorhead bus.

Coursesuper
10-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Would Kendal Briles' offense work in the SEC?

How would you know?

How would you feel if we hired Kendal Briles & his offense wasn't very effective through the first 7 games of the season?

If you wouldn't be ready to ditch him after those 7 games, then why are you ready to ditch Moorhead after 7 games?

I think this is an interesting discussion because when you insert another coach from another school, all of the sudden you think more objectively & less emotionally.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1055568449827754021

I can see this offense working for sure if you were primarily recruiting in TX, the high school football in that state produces and develops the proper talent due to the offensive systems used by the coaching in that state. So to answer your question its really subjective, I'm not sure it works well here but it could flourish at other schools in conference.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Om gives up 42.8
Ark gives up 40.0
aTm gives up 24.8
Bama gives up 18.4

So far, we've...

The bottom line, win all but Bama and everyone steps back from the ledge. If the offense doesn't look like roadkill then most will be back behind JoeMo. Listening to Joe talk about how he had heard that the fans would be behind you through thick and thin, it kind of pissed me off because he wants us to just trust him without any evidence that things are going to get better. So far other than Auburn, he hasn't shown changing anything.

The same fans that were happy we gave Bama all we had also sat through Croom telling us if you didn't see improvement then you were blind. Joe gets a short leash because of the people who sat through 5 years of Croom. No one wants to go through that again.

dawgday166
10-26-2018, 12:17 PM
The talent thing is a mystery to me. One of Joe's selling points to me was how he took lesser talented offenses with average Olinemen and the RPO still couldn't be stopped. He talked about how you get the Olinemen to just get in the way some or some such crap when they were severely out talented. You just had to improvise some and coach it that way according to his interview.

Oh but now ... he have to have his dudes to run the offense he wants to run here. At QB maybe ... but our experienced Oline and RBs are struggling with assignments too.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 12:17 PM
The bottom line, win all but Bama and everyone steps back from the ledge. If the offense doesn't look like roadkill then most will be back behind JoeMo. Listening to Joe talk about how he had heard that the fans would be behind you through thick and thin, it kind of pissed me off because he wants us to just trust him without any evidence that things are going to get better. So far other than Auburn, he hasn't shown changing anything.

The same fans that were happy we gave Bama all we had also sat through Croom telling us if you didn't see improvement then you were blind. Joe gets a short leash because of the people who sat through 5 years of Croom. No one wants to go through that again.

If we finish 8-4, I'll feel a million times better about Moorhead.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
If we finish 8-4, I'll feel a million times better about Moorhead.

I will also unless we get to 8-4 with the Defense scoring and fluke type things happening like Croom 2007. Even after the bowl game, I still wanted Croom gone because I didn't think we could replicate those wins. I will say if Joe gets a lot more slack no matter how he gets to 8 regular season wins. 8 wins would match Mullen's second best season with 2014 being the only season better.

fader2103
10-26-2018, 01:47 PM
In all honesty. I don't think there is anything wrong with Joe's schemes. I think the biggest issues is the offensive players just didn't fully buy into it. They are probably still butt hurt that Mullen left them and just haven't decided to follow Joe. Its one thing to say it to the media that you are, but actions are different.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2018, 02:27 PM
In all honesty. I don't think there is anything wrong with Joe's schemes. I think the biggest issues is the offensive players just didn't fully buy into it. They are probably still butt hurt that Mullen left them and just haven't decided to follow Joe. Its one thing to say it to the media that you are, but actions are different.

I think this is a hidden reason that no one talks about and probably the single most difficult part of taking over a successful program.

The players immediately compare everything to the guy they know was good or maybe their skill set was used better in Mullen's system.

Again, we don't have many examples of coaches taking over successful programs so there isn't a ton of info on how it should go.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 02:35 PM
I think this is a hidden reason that no one talks about and probably the single most difficult part of taking over a successful program.

The players immediately compare everything to the guy they know was good or maybe their skill set was used better in Mullen's system.

Again, we don't have many examples of coaches taking over successful programs so there isn't a ton of info on how it should go.

Les miles to LSU
Coker to Miami
Riley to Oklahoma
Helfrich to Oregon
Lane kiffin to usc
Muschamp to Florida
Anderson to Wisconsin
Shaw to Stanford

Dawg61
10-26-2018, 03:10 PM
Les miles to LSU
Coker to Miami
Riley to Oklahoma
Helfrich to Oregon
Lane kiffin to usc
Muschamp to Florida
Anderson to Wisconsin
Shaw to Stanford

Lol what are those schools winning % last 9 years compared to MSU?

Bass Chaser
10-26-2018, 03:11 PM
Les miles to LSU
Coker to Miami
Riley to Oklahoma
Helfrich to Oregon
Lane kiffin to usc
Muschamp to Florida
Anderson to Wisconsin
Shaw to Stanford

Weren't about half of those coaches already a part of that program?

Bass Chaser
10-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Gun, your OP asked if Briles' offense would work here. I've never watched it, but if it requires vertical passing then probably not.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Weren't about half of those coaches already a part of that program?

Coker, Riley, helfrich, and Shaw were, so yes.

Dawg61
10-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Gun, your OP asked if Briles' offense would work here. I've never watched it, but if it requires vertical passing then probably not.

I've watched Houston. They are more evenly distributed between pass/rush than you'd think. 320 yds passing a games 234 yards rushing. Their QB is the 2nd leading rusher with almost 300 yards on the season. Of course they use vertical passing in their offense along with everything else. What makes Briles different than everyone else is how FAST his offense snaps the ball. Every 18 seconds. They are the fastest offense in the nation. He does it by signaling in the calls himself so as soon as the play is over he is already signaling in to the QB the next play. He does it all with hand motions. It's awesome to watch. I recommend checking out a Houston game sometime. Ken Briles is my #1 on the wish list if Moorhead fails. We would score a lot of points and be fun to watch.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Just another reason to get pissed off at Mullen for not having a single person on staff that would be considered for the job. I realize Hev isn't head coach material but does Gonzo not have the drive to be a Head Coach? Maybe the country club has made them lazy. Even Knox just immediately went back to being a RB coach after the bowl win.

Bass Chaser
10-26-2018, 08:47 PM
Gonzo was the OC at Illinois before coming to State. Brian Johnson was an OC at Utah then demoted to QB coach before coming to State. I think he was the OC at Houston before going to FL as QB coach.

DownwardDawg
10-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Just another reason to get pissed off at Mullen for not having a single person on staff that would be considered for the job. I realize Hev isn't head coach material but does Gonzo not have the drive to be a Head Coach? Maybe the country club has made them lazy. Even Knox just immediately went back to being a RB coach after the bowl win.
Says a lot about Mullins. None of his assistants were ever considered for a HC job except Hud. The guy half the fan base hates when his name comes up.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 11:15 PM
Says a lot about Mullins. None of his assistants were ever considered for a HC job except Hud. The guy half the fan base hates when his name comes up.

Collins technically was also an assistant who became a head coach. I wouldn't say either would be from Mullen coaching tree.

dawgs
10-27-2018, 09:43 AM
I kind of agree with that but we have seen this type offense from a coach who was thought of higher than Briles in Sumlin. He had success but not to the degree that many thought he would and ultimately got him fired. After Spurrier who was a head of the league with his scheme at Florida probably Spurrier again at So Car (admittedly the east was down at the time) and Bobby P at Arkansas running pass first schemes were the best vs all of the run first power schemes that have won the league. Whether from Pro, I or spread run first has had the best track record overall. I too would love to see what this system can do but there is also plenty inside Mooreheads system to fit and simplify for the personnel we have right now. That?s the biggest disappointment

Sumlin's offensive philosophy was fine, he just didn't handle the roster and locker room very well.

dawgs
10-27-2018, 09:49 AM

And Coker and helfrich had immediate success on butch Davis's and Chip Kelly's coattails, but couldn't maintain the programs once the stars from the previous regime moved on and were fired shortly thereafter.

Dawg61
10-27-2018, 10:51 AM

He had like 6 DC's, you'd think a couple of them would eventually become HC's. Collins has but I guess DCs don't take HC jobs as often as OC do and Mullen was his own OC. Plus half of Mullen's DCs weren't good.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Agree. This is an under talked about thing.

Mullen did a terrible job of developing his staff members. In 9 years he developed absolutely 0 head coaching candidates off of his staff.

That's hard to do when you're successful.

Doggie_Style
10-27-2018, 11:09 AM
Agree. This is an under talked about thing.

Mullen did a terrible job of developing his staff members. In 9 years he developed absolutely 0 head coaching candidates off of his staff.

That's hard to do when you're successful.

Who cares? He took a dog shit program and made it relevant! He did that by taking the 3* recruits that were willing to come to Starkville and maximizing their potential. We hired him to win and he did a nice job of that. We hired Moorcroom to win also but his approach is to force the talent he has to do something they cannot.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Who cares? He took a dog shit program and made it relevant! He did that by taking the 3* recruits that were willing to come to Starkville and maximizing their potential. We hired him to win and he did a nice job of that. We hired Moorcroom to win also but his approach is to force the talent he has to do something they cannot.

I don't understand your post.

Mullen doing an overall great job doesn't absolve him from any shortcomings.

msstate7
10-27-2018, 12:47 PM
I don't understand your post.

Mullen doing an overall great job doesn't absolve him from any shortcomings.

Didn't realize we hired Mullen to advance assistants

Tbonewannabe
10-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Didn't realize we hired Mullen to advance assistants

It isn't a requirement but usually a winning program develops coaches.

msstate7
10-27-2018, 12:57 PM
It isn't a requirement but usually a winning program develops coaches.

It's hardly a "shortcoming" esp when you consider Mullen had the least assistant coach budget in the west

I_Spy
10-27-2018, 01:04 PM
My problem is not Dan, he did have some trying years that I even understand and I am pro Mullen. I feel there was huge excitement and anticipation after Dan left so it was all in place...we had momentum and now I feel like we are last...and that other SEC schools have momentum. So we basically pulled a Mullen on this hire.

dawgday166
10-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Peter Sirmon 2.0.

msstate7
10-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Peter Sirmon 2.0.

Speaking of... I'm watching Louisville. They now have van gorder, and this is the worst defense I've ever seen. Petrino has to be killing himself for letting grantham get away

Really Clark?
10-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Speaking of... I'm watching Louisville. They now have van gorder, and this is the worst defense I've ever seen. Petrino has to be killing himself for letting grantham get away

It’s worse than Sirmon last year but the offense is so putrid this year it’s actually ranked worse than the defense in scoring this year