PDA

View Full Version : I can't think of a single thing that

CadaverDawg
10-25-2018, 06:47 PM
can change my already tarnished view of Joe Moorhead, but what would it take to give you guys any semblance of hope going forward?

Keytaon playing a lot?
More than 65 yards passing in a game?
Our best player Kylin Hill getting more than 5 touches?
Our best WR Guidry getting a target or two in 4 quarters?
Moorhead not looking like a kindergartener in the ACT when they cut to him on the sideline?

What do you want/need to see in order to feel better about this shit show?

msstate7
10-25-2018, 06:48 PM
8-4

CadaverDawg
10-25-2018, 06:50 PM
8-4

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

https://media.tenor.com/images/17b806687c15f8b68bf113dd1bb3a190/tenor.gif

dawgday166
10-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Beat Bama. I might start turning around on it if I see major points start showing up.

Dawgfan77
10-25-2018, 06:54 PM
I don?t think he gets me back. He is the guy that would rather lose his way than win another way

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 06:55 PM
can change my already tarnished view of Joe Moorhead, but what would it take to give you guys any semblance of hope going forward?

Keytaon playing a lot?
Moorhead not looking like a kindergartener in the ACT when they cut to him on the sideline?

Getting us to a bowl and then building from there. There were a few of us that were concerned about this year because of what we thought was a mismatch between personnel and system. We got shouted down. I thought 8-4, 9-3 tops even with Mullen. If we manage 6-6 and go bowling I'm not jumping ship, yet. I'll still be on the rail ready to jump though.

Commercecomet24
10-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Getting us to a bowl and then building from there. There were a few of us that were concerned about this year because of what we thought was a mismatch between personnel and system. We got shouted down. I thought 8-4, 9-3 tops even with Mullen. If we manage 6-6 and go bowling I'm not jumping ship, yet. I'll still be on the rail ready to jump though.

Yeah this is kinda where I am. It's hard watching but let's see how we finish. There'll be plenty of time for bitching if the ship goes down. We gotta show a pulse on offense soon.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2018, 07:22 PM
400+ yards and a win vs A&M and I'll jump back on.

Coursesuper
10-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Showing some sign of a competent well coached offense that has begun to gel.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 07:37 PM
8-4

It's much less about the record to me than seeing signs of where we are going on offense & what this offense can do.

if we get to 8-4 by running 90% of the time, that doesn't make me feel any better about the future of the program.

I need to see signs that this offense can look anything like Penn State's & work.

That's about all that will make me feel better.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 07:38 PM
400+ yards and a win vs A&M and I'll jump back on.

400 yards while running 70+% of the time doesn't do much for me.

A win would be great, but that offense isn't sustainable.

I need to see some competency in the passing game before I feel any different.

Dawgfan77
10-25-2018, 07:40 PM
This offense is going to continue to struggle rest of the year. La tech does concern me. Ark is playing better and after this week you could see this team shut down

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 07:41 PM
To complain about many of you poster's thought processes, you are way too result oriented.

You judge everything by our record, total yards, & things that are a result without context of how it happened.

Please evaluate coaches & players by what is transferable against the elite teams. Judge them by how they do it & not just the result.

It drives me nuts.

Goldendawg
Winning every game we have left except bama, being competitive against bama, beating UM comfortably while scoring another rub it in TD with less than 10 seconds left, and sending Sly Croom his West Coast, I mean RPO playbook back until we have some players that can run it in the big boy SEC (which I doubt). That's all.

ShotgunDawg
This offense is going to continue to struggle rest of the year. La tech does concern me. Ark is playing better and after this week you could see this team shut down

The only way the offense doesn't struggle the rest of the year is if KT just has more confidence than Fitz because he hasn't played much & thus lost it.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Winning every game we have left except bama, being competitive against bama, beating UM comfortably while scoring another rub it in TD with less than 10 seconds left, and sending Sly Croom his West Coast, I mean RPO playbook back until we have some players that can run it in the big boy SEC (which I doubt). That's all.

Another result oriented post without context.

This would be great, but if we are running 70% of the time, it does nothing to make you feel better about the future of this team.

Goldendawg
10-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Another result oriented post without context.

This would be great, but if we are running 70% of the time, it does nothing to make you feel better about the future of this team.

I don't feel good about the future of the team. I don't think this offense will work against fast, tough SEC defenses. As far as context, "Just Win Baby". Few people remember how good you looked in a loss. JMO.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 07:51 PM
I don't feel good about the future of the team. I don't think this offense will work against fast, tough SEC defenses. As far as context, "Just Win Baby". Few people remember how good you looked in a loss. JMO.

I'm undecided about whether it will work or not. On one hand, I'm trying to figure out how it worked at Penn State, & the fact that we look so confused has little to do with the competition we are facing. So, I'm not ready to say the offense won't work when we aren't confused anymore & have a QB that knows what he's doing.

That being said, it does feel a little like when Spurrier went the NFL & figured out that his offensive line couldn't block well enough to run the fun & gun.

Other than confusion, it appears to me that JoMo was caught off guard by the pass rushing speed in the SEC & doesn't have enough hot routes & quick passes built into the offense to make the defense honest.

After getting the QB & WRs on the same page, the number 1 goal of this off season should be to evolve this offense into an SEC offense. There has to be a short passing game built so that the defense stop pinning their ears back.

Dawgfan77
10-25-2018, 07:53 PM
The only way the offense doesn't struggle the rest of the year is if KT just has more confidence than Fitz because he hasn't played much & thus lost it.
The only way this offense doesn?t struggle is if joe goes back to the big 10

msstate7
10-25-2018, 07:54 PM
To complain about many of you poster's thought processes, you are way too result oriented.

You judge everything by our record, total yards, & things that are a result without context of how it happened.

Please evaluate coaches & players by what is transferable against the elite teams. Judge them by how they do it & not just the result.

It drives me nuts.

So if we pass for 300, but lose to OM, you'd be happy? Believe it or not shotgun, results are what coaches are judged on. Crazy I know

StarkVegasSteve
10-25-2018, 07:58 PM
The offense having some form of life and our players not looking lost on the field

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:00 PM
So if we pass for 300, but lose to OM, you'd be happy? Believe it or not shotgun, results are what coaches are judged on. Crazy I know

Of course not, but that may make me feel better about 2019 & beyond than if we won & ran 90% of the time.

The initial question wasn't "what would make me happy?" It was "what would give me hope?"

My hope has very little to do with our end of the season record & more to do with how we do it because I know what wins at a high level in this conference for teams without elite talent.

Shirley you get this. I love your passion but your stuck in your ability to grow in thought until you begin thinking in bets & processes without necessarily worrying about the result. Good, consistent results are the product of good processes. I want to see a good process.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Of course not, but that may make me feel better about 2019 & beyond than if we won & ran 90% of the time.

The initial question wasn't "what would make me happy?" It was "what would give me hope?"

My hope has very little to do with our end of the season record & more to do with how we do it because I know what wins at a high level in this conference for teams without elite talent.

Shirley you get this. I love your passion but your stuck in your ability to grow in thought until you begin thinking in bets & processes without necessarily worrying about the result. Good, consistent results are the product of good processes. I want to see a good process.

aTm (we're favored)
La tech
At bama
Ark
At om

If we have a competent process, the result will be 8-4. Anything less than that, Moorhead was a complete flop this year imo

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:10 PM
aTm (we're favored)
La tech
At bama
Ark
At om

If we have a competent process, the result will be 8-4. Anything less than that, Moorhead was a complete flop this year imo

Likely correct. If we have a competent process then we should be 8-4, but not necessarily.

Maybe Christmann misses 4 FGs or maybe a team gets a couple scoop & scores.

While YES, their should be a correlation between us having a good process & our record, there are too many other variables that determine who wins & loses.

I want to see this offense evolve into having some semblance of looking like the Penn State offense under Trace McSorely. That's what would give me hope going into 2019.

Goldendawg
10-25-2018, 08:13 PM
When I was a young boy, my Superdawg Dad got a friend and I sideline passes for the FL/MSU game in Jackson. Rules were so lax back then we mingled among the players during the game, listened to their talk and no one said a word to us. FL's QB was John Reaves and Carlos Alvarez was a great wide receiver. We lost 42 -35 and I thought it was the best game I ever saw. points scored wise. I have also clearly remembered that we lost. This season has reminded me of Tech and 10, except it could wind up 3 Cupcake wins, a bad AU team win, and 8 if we don't find offensive plays that fit our personnel at this time.

preachermatt83
10-25-2018, 08:13 PM
Fire him. That'd make me feel better.

bluelightstar
10-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Coaches who lose the fanbase rarely get it back. It's probably just a matter of time with Moorhead until he's let go.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:19 PM
I'd keep an eye on if Urban Meyer leaves Ohio State & if Day gets the job.

If Day doesn't get the job, then that likely means he'll be available after the 2019 season.

I still want to give Moorhead a little more time because I do think his passing concepts offer us a high ceiling, if run effectively. I have no idea if they can be run effectively though

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Coaches who lose the fanbase rarely get it back. It's probably just a matter of time with Moorhead until he's let go.

I agree, rarely, but not always. Mullen boarder line lost it a few times.

If Moorhead wins this weekend, he'll still have hope in his corner

Goldendawg
10-25-2018, 08:21 PM
So far this year when the camera cuts to him on the sideline, he shows less fire and emotion than a cigar store wooden Indian (Native American). Reminds me of the expression on Croom's face when UM beat us what, ?, 48 - 0 and almost killed every QB we had and he said, "Well, I didn't see that coming". Neither has Jo.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:22 PM
he shows less fire and emotion than a cigar store wooden Indian (Native American)..

This has nothing to do with winning or losing. Not sure why we keep bringing this up

Coursesuper
10-25-2018, 08:26 PM
I agree, rarely, but not always. Mullen boarder line lost it a few times.

If Moorhead wins this weekend, he'll still have hope in his corner

Well, unless we suddenly develop a passing game or figure out how run the ball against an eight and nine man box it’s going to be a long night.

Goldendawg
10-25-2018, 08:28 PM
This has nothing to do with winning or losing. Not sure why we keep bringing this up

Because it looks like to me that he too is completely confused on why his O is not working. Just as lost as the players.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:28 PM
Well, unless we suddenly develop a passing game or figure out how run the ball against an eight and nine man box it’s going to be a long night.

Agree completely

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Because it looks like to me that he too is completely confused on why his O is not working. Just as lost as the players.

I think he fully knows why his O isn't working, but isn't sure about how to fix it with the personnel we have.

Goldendawg
10-25-2018, 08:31 PM
I think he fully knows why his O isn't working, but isn't sure about how to fix it with the personnel we have.

Good point. I'm not an ex-coach, played in HS, but don't good coaches know how to adjust their plays to the talent available?

Cooterpoot
10-25-2018, 08:32 PM
He?s not getting fans back with less than 8 wins. He wasn?t a good fit from day one and is proving it.

bluelightstar
10-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Well, we sure won't hire from outside the SEC/South again...

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Good point. I'm not an ex-coach, played in HS, but don't good coaches know how to adjust their plays to the talent available?

Depends on their past experiences. If you've always had enough brain power & instincts at the QB position to run your offense, then how or why would you know how to adjust it?

CadaverDawg
10-25-2018, 08:40 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/6CYXe7Hf8FZyU/giphy.gif

I don't think I can forgive the guy for ruining this season. Just being honest.

cheewgumm
10-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Nothin he can do can make up for this travesty to me.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 08:41 PM
He wasn?t a good fit from day one and is proving it.

Not sure how you can say this. Tons of hindsight bias here.

I actually don't personally blame Cohen. I think the profile of coach he hired was correct & his process was mostly correct. I can pick apart how drastically the offensive scheme was going to need to change & say that it wasn't in the best interest of THIS team, but I have hard time faulting Cohen for hiring Moorhead.

In fact, if & when Moorhead is fired, I think Cohen will learn from this & make a better hire next time. My hope is that he doesn't over compensate by hiring Moorhead's opposite, but rather goes back to the same pond. I think Cohen fished in the right pond & that statistically his process was right.

I know many here won't want Cohen to make the next hire, but I think those people lack a clue of how hard hiring good coaches is & that NOBODY has it figured out. So, with the next hire, would you rather have someone make the hire that has never made a big coaching hire or would you rather have someone making the hire that has experience in doing it & has possibly learned a few things?

Just my two cents

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 08:41 PM

Bingo.

Cooterpoot
10-25-2018, 08:51 PM
When the fans have never heard of the hire, it’s a bad fit. They already question it. Then, when said hire shits the bed, there’s no getting fans back on board barring a huge turnaround. Moorhead loses this week it’s over for him with most fans. You can’t piss away good teams with high expectations as a new hire.

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 08:58 PM
8-4

Yup. And to do that we will have to show some signs of competence on offense

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 08:59 PM
When the fans have never heard of the hire, it’s a bad fit. They already question it. Then, when said hire shits the bed, there’s no getting fans back on board barring a huge turnaround. Moorhead loses this week it’s over for him with most fans. You can’t piss away good teams with high expectations as a new hire.

You had never heard of Joe Moorhead? He WAS the hottest assistant on the offensive side of the ball in the country. THAT is fact. HIS rep was better than the rep of what we had coming back. That is FACT.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 09:00 PM
You had never heard of Joe Moorhead? He WAS the hottest assistant on the offensive side of the ball in the country. THAT is fact. HIS rep was better than the rep of what we had coming back. That is FACT.

Literally no one mentioned him here until his name was leaked as a person of interest

yjnkdawg
10-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Currently to get KT in the game. They are asking Fitz to do things that he has never been able to do. I really feel sorry for Fitz after I looked at the whole picture. If they keep Fitz in, then they need to scheme like DM to get Fitz wide open (if that's possible) receivers on routes, 20 yards or less. If we are going to keep trying to chunk it down the field, or throw passes where there is any pass coverage, then I think KT is the only option. , and then see where it goes from there. They may have already ruined Fitz on any possible DM schemes if they decide to go that route ( can't see that happening).

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 09:05 PM
Literally no one mentioned him here until his name was leaked as a person of interest

So a ack to back assistant of the year was not known here? Ok, me too. But nationally his rep was top rank. TOP RANK. What we had coming back had a really good rep, compared towhat we are used to. There is the rub.

Cooterpoot
10-25-2018, 09:06 PM
No he wasn’t. 90% of State fans had no idea who he was when his name first came up. Tell us how many championships said genius has won. Because I haven’t seen PSU win one. He’s a big 10 OC that’s rarely stayed anywhere very long. Offensive geniuses adapt. He can’t.

dawgday166
10-25-2018, 09:08 PM
No he wasn’t. 90% of State fans had no idea who he was when his name first came up. Tell us how many championships said genius has won. Because I haven’t seen PSU win one. He’s a big 10 OC that’s rarely stayed anywhere very long.

PSU did win the B1G East with Moorhead as OC.

yjnkdawg
10-25-2018, 09:08 PM

LOL Why are we concerned what makes you feel better. :D

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Currently to get KT in the game. They are asking Fitz to do things that he has never been able to do. I really feel sorry for Fitz after I looked at the whole picture. If they keep Fitz in, then they need to scheme like DM to get Fitz wide open (if that's possible) receivers on routes, 20 yards or less. If we are going to keep trying to chunk it down the field, or throw passes where there is any pass coverage, then I think KT is the only option. , and then see where it goes from there. They may have already ruined Fitz on any possible DM schemes if they decide to go that route ( can't see that happening).

Totally agree on Fitz. Not so sure about KT. He is an unknown against defenses with a pulse. Hopefully they will give him a try this week. My guess is it will confirm why Fitz is the guy now. Maybe I'm wrong.

yjnkdawg
10-25-2018, 09:16 PM

Yep, because he currently does not have a quarterback who's passing proficiency is where it needs to be to run his offense. KT may be a spark, but I wouldn't expect a miracle and him turn into Johnny Football. (be great if it happened)

Doggie_Style
10-25-2018, 09:21 PM
For me I would need 8-4 and a top 20 recruiting class...anything less I would want a change

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Yep, because he currently does not have a quarterback who's passing proficiency is where it needs to be to run his offense. KT may be a spark, but I wouldn't expect a miracle and him turn into Johnny Football. (be great if it happened)

The one thing about KT is that he does throw a more catchable pass than Fitz & has quicker feet.

I actually feel better about KT avoiding the pass rush & the WRs catching the ball.

yjnkdawg
10-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Totally agree on Fitz. Not so sure about KT. He is an unknown against defenses with a pulse. Hopefully they will give him a try this week. My guess is it will confirm why Fitz is the guy now. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you are correct about KT. From what I have heard, he has just not grasped this new offense yet, but apparently Fitz hasn't either. If we stay one dimensional against TAMU's elite run defense, I think we are looking at a L. So why not give KT a shot and see what he can do.

Cooterpoot
10-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Nobody has grasped this offense. That’s coaching, not talent.

yjnkdawg
10-25-2018, 09:29 PM
The one thing about KT is that he does throw a more catchable pass than Fitz & has quicker feet.

I actually feel better about KT avoiding the pass rush & the WRs catching the ball.

I agree Gun. It was said a few years ago, by somebody who should know, that some quarterbacks have a very easy catchable ball, and Fitz's was not one of them. Didn't even have anything to do with the velocity. It was something about the spin and the way the receiver saw the ball coming I think.

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 09:33 PM
Nobody has grasped this offense. That’s coaching, not talent.

Not necessarily. What we have now was recruited to run Mullen's offense, and has been running it for years, they were reacting before, they have to think now. It is what it is.

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 09:34 PM
LOL Why are we concerned what makes you feel better. :D

Yep

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 09:36 PM

Haha no it wasnt....the only thing anyone knew about Penn St was Saquan Barkley. He got named OC of the year by a magazine but who reads magazines anymore?

Nobody even mentioned him till it come out from football scoop

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 09:38 PM
Nobody has grasped this offense. That?s coaching, not talent.

This is my single biggest concern.

What I don't understand, however, is why Penn State & Fordham players grasped the offense so easily.

This tells one of two things:

1. We either have stupid players

or

2. Our assistant coaches suck at teaching this offense.

Cooterpoot
10-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Those teams weren’t in the SEC. Penn St had two big games a year.

dawgday166
10-25-2018, 09:41 PM
I was fixin to say that the 3rd reason we ain't good on offense might be the DCs and defensive personnel in the SEC.

RougeDawg
10-25-2018, 09:41 PM

What gives you the notion that SloMo will have the personnel to run his offense next year? Our defense will take a huge step back and not be averaging 13 points a game given up. We can?t muster up double digits in conference games wit a defense bareygiving up any points. Next year the offense will have to score 28+ to even have a chance. I see no chance in hell of this happening between now and next September. We

Bothrops
10-25-2018, 09:42 PM
If we win Saturday I'll be cool with Joe...as long as we win LaTech, Arky and OM.

Lose to A&M and the season is a wash, with more loss(es) coming before it's all over.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 09:46 PM

I think this is lazy reasoning. Not saying it's wrong, but I think we should search for many different reasons before settling on this one.

This reason does not account for the confusion we are seeing

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 09:49 PM

The rest were so bad they could play like shit and win. His big vocabulary and act sold Cohen on him. Sold all of us on him. The signs were there when we had all the hype no one wanted to see them.

I hate to be the hindsight guy but its hard not to be at this point.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 09:51 PM
The rest were so bad they could play like shit and win. His big vocabulary and act sold Cohen on him. Sold all of us on him. The signs were there when we had all the hype no one wanted to see them.

I hate to be the hindsight guy but its hard not to be at this point.

So why was Penn State so bad on offense before Moorhead got there & so much better with him?

They were facing the same competition & had the same players

Before Moorhead in 2015, Penn State has the #105 offense in the country.

2016 - 47th
2017 - 19th

So we can blame the SEC all day long, but against the same competition in two years under Moorhead the Penn State offense rose from 105th to 19th.

How is that possible if this guy sucks?

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 09:53 PM
I think this is lazy reasoning. Not saying it's wrong, but I think we should search for many different reasons before settling on this one.

The confusion we are seeing is partly the offensive staff being soft and the QB is being asked to do more than he had ever done. All Fitz's life he was prolly told throw it to this guy and if he is not open throw it away or run it. Moorhead is not doing that.

This offense is not that complicated. A lof of high school offenses in MS are running RPO concepts now. People want you to think its trigonometry when its really basic math.

The practices are also soft and the 1s never see each other. Its 1s vs the scouts. Thats fine on wednesdays and thursdays but on monday and tuesday you better be getting after it or complacency will set in fast. These kids want to be pushed not coddled, winners do anyway.

The reason the defense is so strong is because the amount of talent on that side of the ball is as good as it has ever been for this program.

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Amazingly, yep.

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 09:56 PM
So why was Penn State so bad on offense before Moorhead got there & so much better with him?

I promise you, put that Penn St team in the SEC west and they dont do nearly as good. They faced the closest thing to a SEC defense once a year in OSU (and they arent that good) and when Moorhead first got to PSU he was getting skull dragged just like he is now. Then he got Saquan. What happened before Moorhead got to Penn St is irrelevant.

He is a likable geniune guy and that should go for something. But likable geniune guys dont always win football games

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 09:58 PM
The confusion we are seeing is partly the offensive staff being soft and the QB is being asked to do more than he had ever done. All Fitz's life he was prolly told throw it to this guy and if he is not open throw it away or run it. Moorhead is not doing that.

This offense is not that complicated. A lof of high school offenses in MS are running RPO concepts now. People want you to think its trigonometry when its really basic math.

The practices are also soft and the 1s never see each other. Its 1s vs the scouts. Thats fine on wednesdays and thursdays but on monday and tuesday you better be getting after it or complacency will set in fast. These kids want to be pushed not coddled, winners do anyway.

The reason the defense is so strong is because the amount of talent on that side of the ball is as good as it has ever been for this program.

You just made more assumptions than I know what to do with. You seem to know the practice plan, the reads of Mullen's offense, etc. I can't argue about things that I have no clue if they are true.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 09:59 PM
I promise you, put that Penn St team in the SEC west and they dont do nearly as good. They faced the closest thing to a SEC defense once a year in OSU (and they arent that good) and when Moorhead first got to PSU he was getting skull dragged just like he is now. Then he got Saquan. What happened before Moorhead got to Penn St is irrelevant.

He is a likable geniune guy and that should go for something. But likable geniune guys dont always win football games

Perhaps that PSU team would get skull drug in the SEC but that doesn't account for why they improved so much under Moorhead. They were facing the same competition.

yjnkdawg
10-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Not necessarily. What we have now was recruited to run Mullen's offense, and has been running it for years, they were reacting before, they have to think now. It is what it is.

In DM's offense his main play was for Fitz to read the DE, and then pitch or hand off to the running back or keep the ball. As you said big difference.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:02 PM
I can play this game all night.

The point is that you guys don't know dick about what is wrong with this team & I don't either.

I'm confused, you're confused, & our players are confused & none of it makes any sense with Moorhead's track record.

I'm lost

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:02 PM
You just made more assumptions than I know what to do with. You seem to know the practice plan, the reads of Mullen's offense, etc. I can't argue about things that I have no clue if they are true.

Im not assuming anything.

I know the practices are different because I went and watched one. And have been told by a current player.

I know some MS high school offenses are running RPO concepts because I see it. Run some ourselves.

And I know our previous offense is different because its obvious and the players say it. Fitzgerald has hardly ever went thru a progression. Watch his eyes. They should put stripes on our helmets to see where his eyes are and I promise you his head never turns from his 1 target and if hes not open he throws it anyway or gets sacked.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 10:03 PM

Before Moorhead in 2015, Penn State has the #105 offense in the country.

2016 - 47th
2017 - 19th

So we can blame the SEC all day long, but against the same competition in two years under Moorhead the Penn State offense rose from 105th to 19th.

How is that possible if this guy sucks?

Franklin got there in 2014, and he raised the talent level. He signed Barkley in first class. Penn state was in the 30s and 40s recruiting prior to franklin. What year did everyone transfer bc of sanctions?

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Franklin got there in 2014, and he raised the talent level. He signed Barkley in first class

So you are saying that one RB turned a team from the 105th best offense to the 19th?

Sorry, but nobody is that good.

Not doubt he helped, but that's ridiculous.

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Perhaps that PSU team would get skull drug in the SEC but that doesn't account for why they improved so much under Moorhead. They were facing the same competition.

They looked great against teams that they were more talented than. The Penn St vs USC game was great to watch but neither one of those teams have a snowballs chance in hell this league.

He was not ready for this and it has shown. Im glad you want to keep hope and are defending him. We need more people to defend him and get behind him. He needs it.

But the majority are already tired of big words and no adjustments.

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:08 PM
So you are saying that one RB turned a team from the 105th best offense to the 19th?

Im saying that combined with the competition they played made that difference. Watch them vs the best defenses he saw and tell me he is some offensive savant. He isnt. He also had McSorely, a good TE that is in the league and some good WRs. So he threw the ball. We are talking about a guy who refuses to use more than 11 personel and empty. When have we seen Kylin and Aeris in the backfield at the same time? When have we seen the creativity he had at Penn St? We havent because he isnt comfortable with the guys he has and he has known what they could do since spring.

He wants to outsmart and finesse his way to wins. You can do that up there. Not down here. He has the team to do it in this league but he'd rather do it his way than our way.

Here he has a badass OL and badass D and a badass staple of ball carriers and refuses to use them because of his pride. Sorry but THAT is no good.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 10:08 PM

Not doubt he helped, but that's ridiculous.

Penn state recruiting rankings for 2012 and 2013: 47th and 33rd

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:09 PM
They looked great against teams that they were more talented than. The Penn St vs USC game was great to watch but neither one of those teams have a snowballs chance in hell this league.

He was not ready for this and it has shown. Im glad you want to keep hope and are defending him. We need more people to defend him and get behind him. He needs it.

But the majority are already tired of big words and no adjustments.

I'm not defending him. I'm just confused.

I would just appreciate others realizing & acknowledging that they are confused as well & don't know dick what's going on here.

I am just extremely confused at how this guy's track record could be so different from what my eyes are currently telling me.

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 10:09 PM
So how many of you here will be at the game Saturday? I will.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:11 PM
Penn state recruiting rankings for 2012 and 2013: 47th and 33rd

And 24th in 2014. That's virtually no difference.

Recruiting rankings do nothing to explain this.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 10:12 PM

I would just appreciate others realizing & acknowledging that they are confused as well & don't know dick what's going on here.

I am just extremely confused at how this guy's track record could be so different from what my eyes are currently telling me.

Why was McE so successful at Bama and then Colorado st, but then never finished above 12th in sec in total offense at Florida?

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Idk how much simpler I can lay it out for you. He has a formula he believes in and it worked at Fordham and Penn St. Neither one of those places are the SEC. He didnt do great at UConn with the same type of players he had at Fordham and Penn St.

His formula doesnt work down here. He was not ready for real football. Where it is won up front and all the analytics in the world wont help you.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Why was McE so successful at Bama and then Colorado st, but then never finished above 12th in sec in total offense?

I don't know. Do you?

Cooterpoot
10-25-2018, 10:16 PM
You guys toting water for Moorhead have been told by numerous people the practices don’t compare to our previous staff’s. You’ve been told we aren’t offering as many recruits and are now reaching. But you guys keep toting that water. You’ve seen the complete and total ineptness on offense and players complaining. You’ve seen Jo admit he thought we were good before KY and that they thought KState was as good as KY until he saw KY. These guys have been lost. I’m telling you, we’re teetering on the edge as a team. This weekend will make or break this team. Then all this back and forth will be over. This weekend is going to move us forward or break us.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 10:17 PM
I don't know. Do you?

Yes, bc sometimes guys just aren't good fits. Moorhead isn't a good fit

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Idk how much simpler I can lay it out for you. He has a formula he believes in and it worked at Fordham and Penn St. Neither one of those places are the SEC. He didnt do great at UConn with the same type of players he had at Fordham and Penn St.

His formula doesnt work down here. He was not ready for real football. Where it is won up front and all the analytics in the world wont help you.

Oh, I completely understand what you're saying. You don't need to make it more simple. I just think it's shallow, stupid reasoning that does virtually nothing to address the confusion of the offense, why our QB can't see wide open WRs, or hand it off to the RB

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Yes, bc sometimes guys just aren't good fits. Moorhead isn't a good fit

Maybe.

If he ends up winning here, will you come back on the message board & say you're dumb, an idiot, & have no clue what you are talking about?

As for me, I'm not taking a hard stance either way after 7 games. I'm just confused right now.

Todd4State
10-25-2018, 10:24 PM

I think he overestimated what he could get out of Fitzgerald and thought that he would be able to catch on more quickly. Then our wide receivers are below average to put it nicely. Eiland has also struggled more than anticipated and we are starting a guard at right tackle.

Here's what I hope happens to compare it to something. Emory Bellard invented the wishbone and was a very good offensive mind. His first season here in 1979 we went 3-8 in large part because we had players that didn't fit his system. In 1980 we got a freshman QB named John Bond that did fit his system and we turned it around pretty quickly and went 9-3. But we didn't go 3-8 in year one with Bellard because he was a bad offensive coach. It goes back to the players and what they can do. If Joe gets a QB- Key, Shrader, Mayden or whoever, receivers that are above average, and a legit LT we will be fine.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 10:25 PM
Maybe.

If he ends up winning here, will you come back on the message board & say you're dumb, an idiot, & have no clue what you are talking about?

As for me, I'm not taking a hard stance either way after 7 games. I'm just confused right now.

Nothing would please me more than to eat crow. Will you come on here and praise me when Moorhead is fired next year?

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Nothing would please me more than to eat crow. Will you come on here and praise me when Moorhead is fired next year?

No because I believe your reasoning is stupid, emotional, & has gaps

msstate7
10-25-2018, 10:31 PM
No because I believe your reasoning is stupid, emotional, & has gaps

You spent the entire offseason b*tching that we weren't ranked higher and got more respect nationally. Now that we've flopped, you're making excuses for Moorhead. Were we a talented team capable of contending in the West or were you wrong all offseason?

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Oh, I completely understand what you're saying. You don't need to make it more simple. I just think it's shallow, stupid reasoning that does virtually nothing to address the confusion of the offense, why our QB can't see wide open WRs, or hand it off to the RB

I can explain the last two. Because Fitz has never had to do what he is doing now and is not only confused but uncomfortable. The reasons the RBs dont the carries they need at the end of the day is Moorheads fault. If he sends Fitz out there and he pulls it when he tells him to give it he should be benched then and there. So no matter what argument you can make for why the RBs dont have carries is wrong.

cheewgumm
Shotgun I?m confused too. I?m confused how we can have this good a team and have lost to who we have.

I?m also confused to how our RBs can?t get the ball.

And don?t tell me it?s because Fitz keeps it. Against LSU, he was routinely the only person in the backfield.

BuckyIsAB****

And sometimes the truth is shallow and hurtful. Its never stupid. It is what it is. Like you said.

dawgday166
10-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Shotgun I?m confused too. I?m confused how we can have this good a team and have lost to who we have.

I?m also confused to how our RBs can?t get the ball.

And don?t tell me it?s because Fitz keeps it. Against LSU, he was routinely the only person in the backfield.

Yes he was. But hell, it's all Fitz fault anyway, regardless.

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Shotgun you are a big baseball guy right? Let me tell you this. Im a big football guy. Baseball is a sport that you can use analytics in. Football in the SEC is not.

Moorhead used his formula and it worked but football up there is not football down here. Just like basketball down here is not basketball up there. I thought he may have learned and admitted that after the UF game but we were wrong. He either doesnt have the sack to bench fitz or he is too arrogant to think his system could fail no matter who is winning it.

And personally, He doesnt seem like he is capable of being the bad cop to me. And theres not enough bad cops on this staff to make up for it. Esp on offense.

BuckyIsAB****
10-25-2018, 10:37 PM
Anytime we go empty right now every single person in the stadium knows it is Fitz off right guard. We threw one quick game pass out of empty all night that I remember and that was on the first drive.

Why on earth he didnt put somebody back there with him (we have 2 stud RBs) is beyond me. Why we cant feed them the ball is beyond me. Moorheads formula tells him that it will work out. You might as well throw his formula out the window now because this level of offensive ineptitude in this day and age is unacceptable.

MarketingBully
10-25-2018, 10:46 PM
I think he overestimated what he could get out of Fitzgerald and thought that he would be able to catch on more quickly. Then our wide receivers are below average to put it nicely. Eiland has also struggled more than anticipated and we are starting a guard at right tackle.

Here's what I hope happens to compare it to something. Emory Bellard invented the wishbone and was a very good offensive mind. His first season here in 1979 we went 3-8 in large part because we had players that didn't fit his system. In 1980 we got a freshman QB named John Bond that did fit his system and we turned it around pretty quickly and went 9-3. But we didn't go 3-8 in year one with Bellard because he was a bad offensive coach. It goes back to the players and what they can do. If Joe gets a QB- Key, Shrader, Mayden or whoever, receivers that are above average, and a legit LT we will be fine.

I can agree completely with this. This offense COMPLETELY depends on the QB making pre-snap reads, protection reads, and post snap reads based on what the defense is showing the QB. It’s one of the most QB friendly systems out there and depends on a very cerebral high IQ QB. Gardner Minshew would have this team in playoff contention for instance and why some people are saying Shrader will get a shot next year. EVERYTHING depends on the QB and what reads they are seeing in all three areas I talked about earlier. That’s why a true Dual Threat QB in this system would be extremely dangerous because this offense takes advantage of the weaknesses of the defense. Nick was never a good fit at all for Moorhead’s offense because of his inability to pass and playing him makes us extremely one dimensional. I think you guys will see once Fitz graduates this was more of a Moorhead has no idea how to utilize Fitz in his offense problem more then it is a we don’t have the personnel to run his offense problem.

Cowbell
10-25-2018, 11:18 PM
In the end, we are paying our HC to win. Not have the best offense in America. Not outsmart defenses. Not be a nice guy. He gets paid because we want to WIN. And that means as early and often as possible.

For me, Moorehead could win it all next year and I will not forget this dumpster fire of a season. We have 7 guys projected in the draft that will all have to live with this letdown of a season for the rest of their lives.

I do not mind losing - we are all accustomed to that. But getting beat because of lack of preparation, game-planning, or lack of adjustments is and always will be UNACCEPTABLE. Half of this board can pull this season off. For a lot less money.

This boils down to a man having no experience in the best conference in all the land coupled with a huge lack of DISCERNMENT. I mean, do we not even have a goal line set installed that we can resort to to give fitz a breather and let his nerves calm. Do we not have any basic 1 or 2 back sets installed to just play old fashioned football to gain some yards and confidence. That is very surprising from a man that grew up watching the Steelers. I could have taken a peewee playbook and gotten better results last week. At the end of the day, we just need to gain yards doing whatever our players feel comfortable doing. If that means telling fitz to hand it off no matter what, then the man in charge needs to be able to see that and make that call BEFORE the rest of the world sees it. Moorehead needs to be able to say post-game that we did all we could to try and score, not “we need more exposive plays” or “fitz needs to be more accurate” or “we didn’t make the right reads”. So far that has yet to be the case. And this far in, any man with an ounce of discernment would see that.

munk_munk92
10-25-2018, 11:19 PM
8-4 is a must, i want to see some kind of improvement on the offensive side of the ball. i want to see the qb throw the ball and the rb run the ball. I understand the qb having to run it some but not more than the most talented runner we have. It really shouldn't be that hard. There's plenty of things he can do in the passing game to make it better. Just fast throws to the wide receiver like a wr screen. Little bubble passes. Stretch the field horizontally. Make the defense go side to side. then hit them up the middle with aeris or kylin. His play calling is all over the place, no rhythm.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2018, 11:19 PM
I actually find myself agreeing with both SD and Liver... maybe I should take that as a sign I'm off the deep end? Anyway, I don't think any of us really know what's going on.

"SEC SPEEEEEED!!!", as SD points out, does nothing to explain why our WRs can't run the correct routes, why Fitz doens't even attempt to make a 2nd read, or why our OL was so terrible at Kentucky. There's plenty of Os in this conference that can make pre and post snap reads against SEC defenses.

Is the staff too soft? Is the staff too worried about being nice to tell each other what adjustments we need to make? Is Fitz a below average IQ QB? Is Moorhead too stubborn to adapt his O? Are certain offensive coaches busts? Are our players dumber than he's used to teaching? Are we too soft in practice? Is it as simple as "Moorhead is an idiot"? Is Fitz significantly worse than last year at everything?

All of these could have some truth to them, or could be completely wrong. Either way, I highly doubt just one is at play. Fitz being terrible at literally everything revolving around passing or decision making, OL coach not being good, and WR's being dumb/Getsy not being able to teach them all seem like genuine problems that go beyond just Moorhead.

Mobile Bay
10-25-2018, 11:20 PM
He has to win out, and yes that mean beating Bama. He has shown so much failure that it is what it takes to bring me back. And lets face facts, it won't happen.

We are back to Croom like 3 win seasons folks. Until Cohen is gone that is what it is.

Lord McBuckethead
10-25-2018, 11:38 PM

Well try something for 17s sake. He has tried literally nothing to fix it. Going to 80% run plays is not fixing it. Going full 17 tard play calling isn't fixing it. My 6 year old nephew could call a better game with a little bit of misdirection and scheme. We literally slow down the snap so much, I think we are trying to 17 ourselves over. Like icing our kicker every 17n play.

AWilliams hasn't caught a ball in what feels like a month. Get his ass out of there if he cannot get separation against line backers. Flip Mitchell and Guidrys spots. Get Whop some snaps on offense. Not like the other guys are getting open. I want him to get acclimated to the game.

And for 17s sake, let the RBs run the ball or get short passes instead of Fitz carrying the ball 2 to 1 on their touches. It's not that 17n hard. Seriously. You guys act like Moorheads offense is hard. We are calling the game terribly and providing zero things to put pressure on the defense.

Shit Auburn would jet sweep you until you missed a tackle and they would score. Bama and UM made a living WR screening teams until they missed a tackle. Just show me 10 plays that attack the defense differently, and I only want those 10 plays called over and over. Switch the alignment, switch the focus, whatever you have to do. Shit can't be that hard.

Edited because autocorrect on "17 tard"

Todd4State
10-26-2018, 12:45 AM
I can agree completely with this. This offense COMPLETELY depends on the QB making pre-snap reads, protection reads, and post snap reads based on what the defense is showing the QB. It’s one of the most QB friendly systems out there and depends on a very cerebral high IQ QB. Gardner Minshew would have this team in playoff contention for instance and why some people are saying Shrader will get a shot next year. EVERYTHING depends on the QB and what reads they are seeing in all three areas I talked about earlier. That’s why a true Dual Threat QB in this system would be extremely dangerous because this offense takes advantage of the weaknesses of the defense. Nick was never a good fit at all for Moorhead’s offense because of his inability to pass and playing him makes us extremely one dimensional. I think you guys will see once Fitz graduates this was more of a Moorhead has no idea how to utilize Fitz in his offense problem more then it is a we don’t have the personnel to run his offense problem.

In hindsight getting Minchew would have been the best thing we could have done for this offense.

In the end, we are paying our HC to win. Not have the best offense in America. Not outsmart defenses. Not be a nice guy. He gets paid because we want to WIN. And that means as early and often as possible.

For me, Moorehead could win it all next year and I will not forget this dumpster fire of a season. We have 7 guys projected in the draft that will all have to live with this letdown of a season for the rest of their lives.

I do not mind losing - we are all accustomed to that. But getting beat because of lack of preparation, game-planning, or lack of adjustments is and always will be UNACCEPTABLE. Half of this board can pull this season off. For a lot less money.

This boils down to a man having no experience in the best conference in all the land coupled with a huge lack of DISCERNMENT. I mean, do we not even have a goal line set installed that we can resort to to give fitz a breather and let his nerves calm. Do we not have any basic 1 or 2 back sets installed to just play old fashioned football to gain some yards and confidence. That is very surprising from a man that grew up watching the Steelers. I could have taken a peewee playbook and gotten better results last week. At the end of the day, we just need to gain yards doing whatever our players feel comfortable doing. If that means telling fitz to hand it off no matter what, then the man in charge needs to be able to see that and make that call BEFORE the rest of the world sees it. Moorehead needs to be able to say post-game that we did all we could to try and score, not “we need more exposive plays” or “fitz needs to be more accurate” or “we didn’t make the right reads”. So far that has yet to be the case. And this far in, any man with an ounce of discernment would see that.

If you had any discernment would be able to read between the lines and see that Moorhead is saying that our QB play is a huge issue right now.

He has to win out, and yes that mean beating Bama. He has shown so much failure that it is what it takes to bring me back. And lets face facts, it won't happen.

We are back to Croom like 3 win seasons folks. Until Cohen is gone that is what it is.

You do realize that we have won four already? Right?

Todd4State
10-26-2018, 12:46 AM
Well try something for 17s sake. He has tried literally nothing to fix it. Going to 80% run plays is not fixing it. Going full 17 tard play calling isn't fixing it. My 6 year old nephew could call a better game with a little bit of misdirection and scheme. We literally slow down the snap so much, I think we are trying to 17 ourselves over. Like icing our kicker every 17n play.

AWilliams hasn't caught a ball in what feels like a month. Get his ass out of there if he cannot get separation against line backers. Flip Mitchell and Guidrys spots. Get Whop some snaps on offense. Not like the other guys are getting open. I want him to get acclimated to the game.

And for 17s sake, let the RBs run the ball or get short passes instead of Fitz carrying the ball 2 to 1 on their touches. It's not that 17n hard. Seriously. You guys act like Moorheads offense is hard. We are calling the game terribly and providing zero things to put pressure on the defense.

Shit Auburn would jet sweep you until you missed a tackle and they would score. Bama and UM made a living WR screening teams until they missed a tackle. Just show me 10 plays that attack the defense differently, and I only want those 10 plays called over and over. Switch the alignment, switch the focus, whatever you have to do. Shit can't be that hard.

Edited because autocorrect on "17 tard"

I can agree with this. If players aren't performing, try different ones.

msstate7
10-26-2018, 06:07 AM
I actually find myself agreeing with both SD and Liver... maybe I should take that as a sign I'm off the deep end? Anyway, I don't think any of us really know what's going on.

"SEC SPEEEEEED!!!", as SD points out, does nothing to explain why our WRs can't run the correct routes, why Fitz doens't even attempt to make a 2nd read, or why our OL was so terrible at Kentucky. There's plenty of Os in this conference that can make pre and post snap reads against SEC defenses.

Is the staff too soft? Is the staff too worried about being nice to tell each other what adjustments we need to make? Is Fitz a below average IQ QB? Is Moorhead too stubborn to adapt his O? Are certain offensive coaches busts? Are our players dumber than he's used to teaching? Are we too soft in practice? Is it as simple as "Moorhead is an idiot"? Is Fitz significantly worse than last year at everything?

All of these could have some truth to them, or could be completely wrong. Either way, I highly doubt just one is at play. Fitz being terrible at literally everything revolving around passing or decision making, OL coach not being good, and WR's being dumb/Getsy not being able to teach them all seem like genuine problems that go beyond just Moorhead.

We've won 1 sec game this year, and completely abandoned that offensive approach the next game. Is this fitz's fault too?

dawgday166
10-26-2018, 06:24 AM
We've won 1 sec game this year, and completely abandoned that offensive approach the next game. Is this fitz's fault too?

Sure it is. It always is.

StateDawg44
10-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Yeah since that is what he was implying. It's all because of one thing.***

msstate7
10-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Yeah since that is what he was implying. It's all because of one thing.***

That is exactly what half the board is implying. Real may not have been, but many are. The fact is players succeed when coaches put them in a position to succeed and they don't when the coaches don't

Really Clark?
10-26-2018, 08:53 AM
I posted this in another post

Going back 30 years, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2018 are the only years where we failed to score more than 10 points in 3 or more games in a season. And we are just half way into this season. 2005 and 2008 it happened 5 times. 4 times in 2003

Cowbell
10-26-2018, 10:07 AM
I can agree with this. If players aren't performing, try different ones.

Todd, that?s called using discernment. We all realize fitz is an issue, so adjust the offense accordingly or replace him. Don?t keep trying what ain?t working.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2018, 10:31 AM
I posted this in another post

Going back 30 years, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2018 are the only years where we failed to score more than 10 points in 3 or more games in a season. And we are just half way into this season. 2005 and 2008 it happened 5 times. 4 times in 2003

Wow, and that's with 4 returning starters on the Oline and a 5th who started 4 games. A senior QB and 2 solid RBs.

DownwardDawg
10-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Well, unless we suddenly develop a passing game or figure out how run the ball against an eight and nine man box it?s going to be a long night.

I agree. And this is what pisses me off. I truly believe if we had run the offense that we did against Auburn, with a few short passes thrown in, we would have smoked LSU. Damn it?s frustrating!!! Auburn used to run the offense I?m thinking about. It was a power running spread offense. Damn near unstoppable. Then for some stupid reason gus started recruiting pro style QB?s.

DudyDawg
10-26-2018, 11:23 AM

"Don't judge based on results"

"That has nothing to do with results"

Make your mind up

dawgday166
10-26-2018, 11:26 AM
I agree. And this is what pisses me off. I truly believe if we had run the offense that we did against Auburn, with a few short passes thrown in, we would have smoked LSU. Damn it?s frustrating!!! Auburn used to run the offense I?m thinking about. It was a power running spread offense. Damn near unstoppable. Then for some stupid reason gus started recruiting pro style QB?s.

No doubt about it in my mind either. If you'll think about this ... we probably have a very similar set of personnel to the AU team that played for a Natty except Fitz is bigger version of Nick Marshall.

munk_munk92
10-26-2018, 11:45 AM

In a way I think he will end up being a great hire because if you look at what Smart did at Georgia. He went 7-5 with all that talent that got drafted to the NFL. So I'm hoping we end up 8-4 and then next year we see the potential everyone saw when we hired him. He's already a more likable guy than Mullen, I think he will recruit better too (which isn't hard to do), I'm hoping it ends up just like coach says it "from good to great." I hope KT catches on fire and throws for 300 yds and Kylin/Aeris runs for another 250 yds. THAT would be enough to make me all woolly again.

DownwardDawg
10-26-2018, 11:53 AM
No doubt about it in my mind either. If you'll think about this ... we probably have a very similar set of personnel to the AU team that played for a Natty except Fitz is bigger version of Nick Marshall.

Yes!!! I couldn’t remember Nick Marshall’s name. That’s the offense I’m referring to.

Really Clark?
10-26-2018, 12:09 PM
In a way I think he will end up being a great hire because if you look at what Smart did at Georgia. He went 7-5 with all that talent that got drafted to the NFL. So I'm hoping we end up 8-4 and then next year we see the potential everyone saw when we hired him. He's already a more likable guy than Mullen, I think he will recruit better too (which isn't hard to do), I'm hoping it ends up just like coach says it "from good to great." I hope KT catches on fire and throws for 300 yds and Kylin/Aeris runs for another 250 yds. THAT would be enough to make me all woolly again.

Smart?s defense did not get worse by 17 points in his first year and dead last in the league either. They had a 2 game swing from the previous season with 2 one point losses and a 3 point loss. Hope it?s the case but I don?t see the numbers to come close to drawing a comparison. And he also had a little better recruiting class in his first season

CarolinaDawgs
10-26-2018, 12:48 PM
I 100% believe that the IQs Joe was used to dealing with were higher than what he has now. Just the facts of public education from the Northeast to the deep south. It is going to take some time to figure out how to translate his concepts easier. I am not saying that he will or wont succeed, but he will need to make things more understandable earlier on in the learning process for younger players.

fader2103
10-26-2018, 02:06 PM
Right now I am in the boat of keeping Joe one more year. I just don't think all our offensive players bought into the system. Let him get a few of "his" type players in the system next year and see if it changes any of the results.

One thing that irks me is the "football down here is far superior that football up there". My take is football is football no matter where you go. SEC speed is the exact same speed as Big 10, ACC, and Pac-12 speed. Coach Moorhead didn't forget how to coach just by moving south. I think he needs to possibly relinquish play calling duties and be a head coach, with the ability to override calls, but his leash is starting to get smaller.

Cooterpoot
10-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Our whole team is stupid. Yet another laughable excuse for Jo. These kids aren’t stupid.

CarolinaDawgs
10-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Our whole team is stupid. Yet another laughable excuse for Jo. These kids aren’t stupid.

I assume you are meaning to reply to me, but I can guarantee you that the average SAT/ACT score of the players at PSU are higher than here at MSU. I am not calling them stupid..its a product of the environment. Hell I wouldve made higher test scores growing up in the Northeast because its the norm there. You're a fool if you dont think that plays a part in this. There are different academic standards and teaching methods in both areas of the country. Its on him to figure out how to become a better teacher. Really didnt give him an excuse.

Really Clark?
10-26-2018, 03:17 PM
I assume you are meaning to reply to me, but I can guarantee you that the average SAT/ACT score of the players at PSU are higher than here at MSU. I am not calling them stupid..its a product of the environment. Hell I wouldve made higher test scores growing up in the Northeast because its the norm there. You're a fool if you dont think that plays a part in this. There are different academic standards and teaching methods in both areas of the country. Its on him to figure out how to become a better teacher. Really didnt give him an excuse.

You do know that we produce one of the highest ratio of NFL players in the country and the south as a whole accounts for a third or more of NFL players. A league that runs even more sophisticated schemes. SAT/ACT score doesn’t necessarily translate to football IQ and ability to execute. Heck there are many who struggle with school but can breakdown plays, schemes, etc. at a very high level.

Leroy Jenkins
10-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Moorhead is the pipe-bomb we sent ourselves.

preachermatt83
10-26-2018, 04:51 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/6CYXe7Hf8FZyU/giphy.gif

I don't think I can forgive the guy for ruining this season. Just being honest.

I agree. Sad to say but at Mississippi state teams this talented don't come around very often... it unforgivable to throw it away. Not to mention if he can't win big with a team this talented he never will.

Todd4State
10-26-2018, 07:10 PM
Smart?s defense did not get worse by 17 points in his first year and dead last in the league either. They had a 2 game swing from the previous season with 2 one point losses and a 3 point loss. Hope it?s the case but I don?t see the numbers to come close to drawing a comparison. And he also had a little better recruiting class in his first season

And how many times did Dan have to play three top 20 teams in a four game span? You keep spouting this without acknowledging how good our competition is and the fact that Dan's offense often times looked terrible against top 20 teams. If you lumped three top 25 games when Dan was here the stats would probably be close to similar to what we're seeing now. Of course using conference only games and not the entire season says agenda but carry on.

Todd4State
10-26-2018, 07:13 PM
I agree. Sad to say but at Mississippi state teams this talented don't come around very often... it unforgivable to throw it away. Not to mention if he can't win big with a team this talented he never will.

Our talent is on defense. And they have performed up to expectations. On offense not so much other than running back where again they have performed. We're starting a WR that was signed a couple of months after signing day and starting an o-line with all three stars. And a QB that can't read defenses and likes to party too much.

Really Clark?
10-26-2018, 07:31 PM
And how many times did Dan have to play three top 20 teams in a four game span? You keep spouting this without acknowledging how good our competition is and the fact that Dan's offense often times looked terrible against top 20 teams. If you lumped three top 25 games when Dan was here the stats would probably be close to similar to what we're seeing now. Of course using conference only games and not the entire season says agenda but carry on.

Because no matter the season or competition, we have not had a season when we have scored less than 10 points in 3 games since 2008. That includes all of Dan’s season. All games not just conference. So no you can not find any of his seasons with 3 games of less than 10 points. It happened with Croom 3 times and at the end of Jackie’s years.

At no point and you can’t find in any post that I have downplayed who we have played this year. Brutal but you or none else for that matter had a clue that Kentucky or Florida would be that difficult. And we do need to see if that holds up throughout the season, especially Kentucky. They have seriously benefited from the very poor offenses they have played.

But all of that is irrelevant when you have to go back a decade to find a season with 3 games with less than 10 points scored in one year. It’s also the last time we averaged as few points in conference as we stand now. It’s also one of the worse drops in production from one season to the next in the conference. I have said I do believe it will go up because of who we have left to play. None of that changes what has already occurred in half a year when in complete seasons we haven’t scored less than 10 in 3 games since 2008. If it happens again then that’s will be just the 3rd time it’s happened since 1998 for us. Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

I have no agenda, I’m very disappointed in a coaching hire that I really loved. Thought it was a homerun and disagree with the idea that his offense just can’t work in this league. At no point have I said we should or called for him to be fired. But the poor offense is getting historically bad for us and if it stays it will also be one of the worse drops in production in our conference. At least in the last few decades

Bully13
10-26-2018, 10:21 PM
We dont have enough talent at QB and wr to deal with quality defensive backs.

Prediction? Pain.
10-26-2018, 11:40 PM

Because no matter the season or competition, we have not had a season when we have scored less than 10 points in 3 games since 2008. That includes all of Dan?s season. All games not just conference. So no you can not find any of his seasons with 3 games of less than 10 points. It happened with Croom 3 times and at the end of Jackie?s years.

At no point and you can?t find in any post that I have downplayed who we have played this year. Brutal but you or none else for that matter had a clue that Kentucky or Florida would be that difficult. And we do need to see if that holds up throughout the season, especially Kentucky. They have seriously benefited from the very poor offenses they have played.

But all of that is irrelevant when you have to go back a decade to find a season with 3 games with less than 10 points scored in one year. It?s also the last time we averaged as few points in conference as we stand now. It?s also one of the worse drops in production from one season to the next in the conference. I have said I do believe it will go up because of who we have left to play. None of that changes what has already occurred in half a year when in complete seasons we haven?t scored less than 10 in 3 games since 2008. If it happens again then that?s will be just the 3rd time it?s happened since 1998 for us. Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

I have no agenda, I?m very disappointed in a coaching hire that I really loved. Thought it was a homerun and disagree with the idea that his offense just can?t work in this league. At no point have I said we should or called for him to be fired. But the poor offense is getting historically bad for us and if it stays it will also be one of the worse drops in production in our conference. At least in the last few decades

I think y'all are both making good points that aren't mutually exclusive. Todd's right that Mullen's offense -- which we should all remember was more often than not propped up by a sharing the field with a higher-performing defense -- tended to bog down against quality defenses, too. Whether you use 10 or the mid-to-low teens as your yardstick for "not enough points to matter," Dan had several busts a year in a few seasons here. For example, we scored 14 or less four times in 2010 (14 vs. Auburn, 10 vs. FL, 10 vs. Bama, and 7 vs. LSU) with an offense that was statistically about as underwhelming as you could get in many ways -- 11th out of 12 in scoring offense in SEC games, 11th in yards per play, 11th in passing offense, 11th in completion percentage, 10th in QB rating, and 11th in plays of both 10+ and 20+ yards. (I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating here -- it's interesting how much 2018's roster mirrors 2010's. Crazy talented D, unheralded, gutsy QB who was a great runner but not-so-great passer, talented RBs, NFL-type dudes on the OL, etc.) And then the next year in 2011, we scored 12 or less four times -- 6 vs. LSU, 10 vs. UGA, 12 vs. South Carolina, and 7 vs. Bama. (Also, we only had 10 points in our loss to Arkansas that year until Dylan Favre scored a TD with 15 seconds left in the game. Final was 44 - 17.)

But even with Mullen's offensive inconsistencies, he never fielded a team whose passing game was repeatedly this bad. The season's only halfway through, so we've got time to improve and games against defenses that should give us a decent chance of doing so. (U. Miss., Ark., and La Tech are all a lot worse on D than the three teams that have beaten us. But even A&M and Bama's defenses aren't playing at the level of UK's, FL's, and LSU's right now. Not that it'll matter vs. Bama, of course . . . .) But even still, what we're seeing in the passing game really does seem exceptionally bad. Mullen twice had seasons where his teams completed less than 50% of their passes in 4 games (2010 and 2017), once where they did it in 3 games, and then the rest were just one- or two-offs. We've hit that mark four times already this season, and we've only played 7 games. Ditto for yards per attempt. We've had four straight games with < 5 ypa. Mullen never had that many in an entire season. (His most was three, with Relf in 2011. Though to be fair, Relf had six games with < 6 ypa that season.) That's disappointing. Regardless of the reason -- Fitz' accuracy or decision-making, the receivers' current aptitude at route-running or grasp of the scheme, etc. -- it's not acceptable. I'm sure Moorhead would agree with that. But damn, it sucks. Dude needs to fix it, pronto.

Right now, our offense is 77th nationally in the S&P+ advanced stat rankings. That's a shade lower that Mullen's lowest ranked offensive unit (71st in 2009), but isn't far off of how Mullen's similarly manned 2011 and 2017 offenses did (both ended the season ranked in the 60s) and is within striking distance of several other of Mullen's years (2010, 2012, and 2013). And, to state something we all know, it's got nothing to do with the efficiency of the run game. (Per the S&P+ metrics, we've got the second best rushing offense in the country.) It's all on the passing game. (113th in the same metrics. Holy balls.)

Get it done, Moorhead.

Oh, and for the curious: In Croom's last year, our offense was 108th in S&P+. Yikes.

Really Clark?
10-27-2018, 01:34 AM
Great post and great info Pain. I agree with you. And to clarify I wasn’t just using 10 points as an arbitrary number to help my argument. Mainly for ease of use and there haven’t been that many teams finish the year below 10 points a game. Thought it was a good correlation. And it is the passing game that is so horrendous it’s pulling us down. I do hope it clicks and turns around. Whether it’s KT or Fitz or Mayden, I don’t care who it is. Very disappointed, like most of us, with such a drop in production when the defense has been outstanding.

dawgday166
10-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Our talent is on defense. And they have performed up to expectations. On offense not so much other than running back where again they have performed. We're starting a WR that was signed a couple of months after signing day and starting an o-line with all three stars. And a QB that can't read defenses and likes to party too much.

That Oline was 2nd in rushing O, was 3rd in long rushing plays, gave up the fewest sacks in SEC last year, and was 4th in TFL allowed. Now we were last in passing offense last year and most of that was off play action, which helps in the fewest sack dept.

But I ain't buying our Oline sucks at all. I may buy they aren't being coached well and they aren't adapting to RPO blocking where they're somewhere between run blocking and pass blocking at times, which probably keeps them confused (and they are confused a good bit). I also may buy that our tackles can't handle speed rushers off the edge to well. But overall, the Oline was pretty damn good last year.

In fact, in the run blocking dept I'd put them up against just about any team in the conference.

dawgday166
10-27-2018, 09:51 AM
I think y'all are both making good points that aren't mutually exclusive. Todd's right that Mullen's offense -- which we should all remember was more often than not propped up by a sharing the field with a higher-performing defense -- tended to bog down against quality defenses, too. Whether you use 10 or the mid-to-low teens as your yardstick for "not enough points to matter," Dan had several busts a year in a few seasons here. For example, we scored 14 or less four times in 2010 (14 vs. Auburn, 10 vs. FL, 10 vs. Bama, and 7 vs. LSU) with an offense that was statistically about as underwhelming as you could get in many ways -- 11th out of 12 in scoring offense in SEC games, 11th in yards per play, 11th in passing offense, 11th in completion percentage, 10th in QB rating, and 11th in plays of both 10+ and 20+ yards. (I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating here -- it's interesting how much 2018's roster mirrors 2010's. Crazy talented D, unheralded, gutsy QB who was a great runner but not-so-great passer, talented RBs, NFL-type dudes on the OL, etc.) And then the next year in 2011, we scored 12 or less four times -- 6 vs. LSU, 10 vs. UGA, 12 vs. South Carolina, and 7 vs. Bama. (Also, we only had 10 points in our loss to Arkansas that year until Dylan Favre scored a TD with 15 seconds left in the game. Final was 44 - 17.)

But even with Mullen's offensive inconsistencies, he never fielded a team whose passing game was repeatedly this bad. The season's only halfway through, so we've got time to improve and games against defenses that should give us a decent chance of doing so. (U. Miss., Ark., and La Tech are all a lot worse on D than the three teams that have beaten us. But even A&M and Bama's defenses aren't playing at the level of UK's, FL's, and LSU's right now. Not that it'll matter vs. Bama, of course . . . .) But even still, what we're seeing in the passing game really does seem exceptionally bad. Mullen twice had seasons where his teams completed less than 50% of their passes in 4 games (2010 and 2017), once where they did it in 3 games, and then the rest were just one- or two-offs. We've hit that mark four times already this season, and we've only played 7 games. Ditto for yards per attempt. We've had four straight games with < 5 ypa. Mullen never had that many in an entire season. (His most was three, with Relf in 2011. Though to be fair, Relf had six games with < 6 ypa that season.) That's disappointing. Regardless of the reason -- Fitz' accuracy or decision-making, the receivers' current aptitude at route-running or grasp of the scheme, etc. -- it's not acceptable. I'm sure Moorhead would agree with that. But damn, it sucks. Dude needs to fix it, pronto.

Right now, our offense is 77th nationally in the S&P+ advanced stat rankings. That's a shade lower that Mullen's lowest ranked offensive unit (71st in 2009), but isn't far off of how Mullen's similarly manned 2011 and 2017 offenses did (both ended the season ranked in the 60s) and is within striking distance of several other of Mullen's years (2010, 2012, and 2013). And, to state something we all know, it's got nothing to do with the efficiency of the run game. (Per the S&P+ metrics, we've got the second best rushing offense in the country.) It's all on the passing game. (113th in the same metrics. Holy balls.)

Get it done, Moorhead.

Oh, and for the curious: In Croom's last year, our offense was 108th in S&P+. Yikes.

Very good info. You're right about how Dan's O's were mostly serviceable, and he relied on very good D's to carry most of the load a good bit. I made that point several times while he was here. It used to piss me off at him that he wasn't more creative, for such a smart offensive guy, than he was.

What I got out of all of this is:
Moorhead, like Dan, seems to have some significant learning to do. But I also believe that at the very best, we got someone that may replicate the results that Dan got over time, and is also stubborn like Dan and bristles up like Dan did when questioned about what they're doing. Someone that also is going do it their way and not adapt to their personnel too well. Dan didn't always adapt to his personnel well enough to produce good offenses IMO.

I will also say this: Fitz has been much better than Relf. The 2010 Oline was better than this Oline.

justwin
10-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Keytaon playing a lot?

I'm really glad that Joe is stubborn enough to want a QB to play QB and not a RB to play QB. Fitz has handcuffed Joe. We have had a RB playing QB the last decade and that can only take you so far but result in losses in big games ~ 7/9 blowouts vs Bama. That RB playing QB model was great to resurrect the program from the doldrums but time to let the RBs run & the QB to be a QB. Nothing personal against Fitz, but it's time to get fully behind Key here on out. Fitz is a 5th year senior who can't even keep the deep ball on the playing field, Guidry wide open many times last week and he finally throws to his direction but, of course, goes out of bounds instead of an easy sandwedge to the back corner for 6. Completing deep balls negates the low completion %.

The tape doesn't lie....there were many, many plays to be made downfield vs LSU & on the edges vs, but Fitz is a second slow on pass & run plays, time to turn the page.

Todd4State
10-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Because no matter the season or competition, we have not had a season when we have scored less than 10 points in 3 games since 2008. That includes all of Dan?s season. All games not just conference. So no you can not find any of his seasons with 3 games of less than 10 points. It happened with Croom 3 times and at the end of Jackie?s years.

At no point and you can?t find in any post that I have downplayed who we have played this year. Brutal but you or none else for that matter had a clue that Kentucky or Florida would be that difficult. And we do need to see if that holds up throughout the season, especially Kentucky. They have seriously benefited from the very poor offenses they have played.

But all of that is irrelevant when you have to go back a decade to find a season with 3 games with less than 10 points scored in one year. It?s also the last time we averaged as few points in conference as we stand now. It?s also one of the worse drops in production from one season to the next in the conference. I have said I do believe it will go up because of who we have left to play. None of that changes what has already occurred in half a year when in complete seasons we haven?t scored less than 10 in 3 games since 2008. If it happens again then that?s will be just the 3rd time it?s happened since 1998 for us. Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

I have no agenda, I?m very disappointed in a coaching hire that I really loved. Thought it was a homerun and disagree with the idea that his offense just can?t work in this league. At no point have I said we should or called for him to be fired. But the poor offense is getting historically bad for us and if it stays it will also be one of the worse drops in production in our conference. At least in the last few decades

The competition is irrelevant? It was pretty relevant when people were defending Dan the past six years.**

I'd say the fact that we have played three top 15 teams while learning a new offense- twice on the road is pretty relevant. Especially when you look at our point totals against non- top 15 teams.

Todd4State
10-27-2018, 12:16 PM
That Oline was 2nd in rushing O, was 3rd in long rushing plays, gave up the fewest sacks in SEC last year, and was 4th in TFL allowed. Now we were last in passing offense last year and most of that was off play action, which helps in the fewest sack dept.

But I ain't buying our Oline sucks at all. I may buy they aren't being coached well and they aren't adapting to RPO blocking where they're somewhere between run blocking and pass blocking at times, which probably keeps them confused (and they are confused a good bit). I also may buy that our tackles can't handle speed rushers off the edge to well. But overall, the Oline was pretty damn good last year.

In fact, in the run blocking dept I'd put them up against just about any team in the conference.

We lead the SEC in rushing. The thing is we have to be able to pass block as well. I think most of the problem is Nick. And judging from Moorhead's comments he agrees with me.

War Machine Dawg
10-27-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm undecided about whether it will work or not. On one hand, I'm trying to figure out how it worked at Penn State, & the fact that we look so confused has little to do with the competition we are facing. So, I'm not ready to say the offense won't work when we aren't confused anymore & have a QB that knows what he's doing.

That being said, it does feel a little like when Spurrier went the NFL & figured out that his offensive line couldn't block well enough to run the fun & gun.

Other than confusion, it appears to me that JoMo was caught off guard by the pass rushing speed in the SEC & doesn't have enough hot routes & quick passes built into the offense to make the defense honest.

After getting the QB & WRs on the same page, the number 1 goal of this off season should be to evolve this offense into an SEC offense. There has to be a short passing game built so that the defense stop pinning their ears back.

Or maybe...juuuust maybe...we should go FASTER on offense and not routinely snap the ball with 5 or fewer seconds left on the play clock. DLs have the advantage when you get that deep into the play clock. Speed the 17 up and this offense would look at least minimally better. But what do I know, I'm not the offensive guru with one of the worst offenses in modern football history.

MarketingBully
10-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Ahh classic with the we haven’t scored 10 points or under in THREE games since 2008. But yet we scored 10 points or under in two games just last year and were outscored in those two games alone 80-13. Classic spin there. We’ve lost 13-6, 28-7 (which was a 1 score game midway through the 4th quarter), and 19-3 but were in that game for most of it as well if Fitz doesn’t throw 4 INTs. I couldn’t imagine the melt if our defense wasn’t playing lights out this year.

Really Clark?
10-27-2018, 01:05 PM
The competition is irrelevant? It was pretty relevant when people were defending Dan the past six years.**

I'd say the fact that we have played three top 15 teams while learning a new offense- twice on the road is pretty relevant. Especially when you look at our point totals against non- top 15 teams.

It’s irrelevant in the sense that 1 - I never dismissed who we have played this year and 2 - it’s comparing like or even stronger defenses since 2008. But do you think who we have played this year defensively is better than several other seasons, especially like the 2011 season? I’m not sure they are that stout, we will see and they may be at the end of the year. But I honestly don’t see all 3 of the defenses we have faced so far that have held us to low point totals better than multiple other seasons in recent history.

MarketingBully
10-27-2018, 01:07 PM
We lead the SEC in rushing. The thing is we have to be able to pass block as well. I think most of the problem is Nick. And judging from Moorhead's comments he agrees with me.

It is Nick but Moorhead has died on the hill of continuing to play him and asking him to do things he obviously can’t do so Fitzhead has killed our season and our fan support in the process. I have no idea why he has such loyalty to a kid who obviously has no idea how to run his offense but yet continues to trot him out there. The offense is bad ass if you have a kid who is even an average passer and has some semblance of a football IQ. It took McSorley three to four games to get the hang of it and wasn’t like McSorley was some badass out of high school. He was just a 3 star. KT has a lot of potential and ability. I’d of actually started KT this game and just go with him. He’s our future and we could get a jump start for next year. I think had you started KT tonight he’d of gotten his lumps and odds are good we still go 7-5. Playing this musical chair QB bullshit may still net us a 7-5 season and we will suck worse for it because we don’t get KT experience down the stretch. The biggest red flag I’ve seen so far from Moorhead is he’s obviously stubborn and doesn’t look like he adapts well when things aren’t working. Those are the two traits I’m very concerned with.

dawgday166
10-27-2018, 01:08 PM
It?s irrelevant in the sense that 1 - I never dismissed who we have played this year and 2 - it?s comparing like or even stronger defenses since 2008. But do you think who we have played this year defensively is better than several other seasons, especially like the 2011 season? I?m not sure they are that stout, we will see and they may be at the end of the year. But I honestly don?t see all 3 of the defenses we have faced so far that have held us to low point totals better than multiple other seasons in recent history.

The defenses we've played this year aren't in same category as Ga, AU, and Bama last year.

To add to this: Last year our team was all Jrs. This year they are seniors. We also weren't prepared for Ga after just thumping LSU so badly. AU ... kinda fell apart when defensive TD was called back. But all that don't matter much the bottom line is both of those D's were way better than anything we've faced this year.

Dawgfan77
10-27-2018, 01:08 PM
I would like someone to post why they think SloMo is the right hire. And not well this offense is what we need. He has proven that it?s not going to work in the sec. and not just waits til he gets a qb. That ain?t gonna matter either. But I?d like to hear why some have the blind faith in this regime

Really Clark?
10-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Ahh classic with the we haven?t scored 10 points or under in THREE games since 2008. But yet we scored 10 points or under in two games just last year and were outscored in those two games alone 80-13. Classic spin there. We?ve lost 13-6, 28-7 (which was a 1 score game midway through the 4th quarter), and 19-3 but were in that game for most of it as well if Fitz doesn?t throw 4 INTs. I couldn?t imagine the melt if our defense wasn?t playing lights out this year.

Well it?s not 10 points or less it is below 10 points, I know splitting hairs but using that because a team finishing the season avg less than 10 in conference doesn?t happen every year. About 1 in every 5.

Since 2000 for us, being held to below 10 points in 3 or games in a season has only happened 5 other times (once held in 5 games and twice held in 4 games) and those were with some of our worse teams in history. It?s not just some arbitrary stat. If we have a winning season, which I think we will do, it will be a first to have such low scoring in conference and to do so in 20 years. Maybe longer but I didn?t go back any further. That is how bad we have been offensively. Actually looking forward to us breaking that trend tonight. Believe we will and we will look better. Doesn?t change the horrendous start to this year. And 2008 is the only time since 2000 where we were held to less than 10 points in 5 games. It happened in 4 games 2 times.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-27-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm really glad that Joe is stubborn enough to want a QB to play QB and not a RB to play QB. Fitz has handcuffed Joe. We have had a RB playing QB the last decade and that can only take you so far but result in losses in big games ~ 7/9 blowouts vs Bama. That RB playing QB model was great to resurrect the program from the doldrums but time to let the RBs run & the QB to be a QB. Nothing personal against Fitz, but it's time to get fully behind Key here on out. Fitz is a 5th year senior who can't even keep the deep ball on the playing field, Guidry wide open many times last week and he finally throws to his direction but, of course, goes out of bounds instead of an easy sandwedge to the back corner for 6. Completing deep balls negates the low completion %.

The tape doesn't lie....there were many, many plays to be made downfield vs LSU & on the edges vs, but Fitz is a second slow on pass & run plays, time to turn the page.

Correct, even the 10th best passing QB in the SEC would get us 150-200 more passing yards a game in SEC play. Flawed as the WR routes and hand are, flawed as the pass pro is, and as terrible as the game planning is, this O would be pretty ok if we had say Jo Burrow or Guarantano as our QB. Still under-performing due to so-so OL and bad RB use, but ok. And I don't blame Joe one bit for expecting a 5th year Sr QB to be able to progress through simple reads. I do blame him for not adapting once it became clear Fitz can't pass. an "offensive guru" should be able to use a good running QB, RBs, and run blocking OL to get some level of points. Yet he clearly has no idea how to scheme anything without a deep passing threat. The lack of adjustments in-game is also inexcusable

RezDog7
10-27-2018, 02:21 PM
I don?t think he gets me back. He is the guy that would rather lose his way than win another way

Bullshit, if he wins 9-10 games next year you will be singing his praises.

Coursesuper
10-27-2018, 03:00 PM

Yep, but that’s not going to happen.

dawgday166
10-27-2018, 03:01 PM

I'd be happy to ... But he ain't winning 9 or 10 next year.

Dawgfan77
10-27-2018, 05:21 PM

That?s funny. HaHa!! The guy can?t win with this team and you think he will win 9 games. Lmao.