PDA

View Full Version : What's so concerning to me ...

dawgday166
10-25-2018, 05:02 PM
I want Joe to be the guy. I'm hoping the scoreboard will start lighting up. I was optimistic that his high flying offense would give us a chance against elite teams like Bama with the explosive plays. But what's bothering me are these things:

1) We've scored 7, 6, 23, and 3 points against SEC opponents. We only seemed to adjust for one game which was AU. There are never any in game adjustments that I can tell. Outside of AU game, we're putting up about 200 yd offense in SEC games. That's pathetic.

2) Any halfway good OC could've come in and put up 300 or better yds of O and scored somewhere between 10 and 21 pts in those 3 games. McElwain probably could've probably done it.

3) Sometimes you can win games by grinding it out and controlling the clock. Last year Mullen did that against Bama and we hung with them. THAT IS THE WAY to play Bama this year. Try to keep Tua and those wideouts on the sidelines watching. And I think we could run on them too. Joe is fixated on explosive plays and has to have them tho. I like them too, but don't want a bunch of 3 and outs to go with them. Don't want to get in a shootout with them either. Tua will kill us if either of those scenarios happen. When Bama has one of their elite Ds tho, explosive plays are about the only way you can beat them.

4) I'm scratching my head on Joe's base offensive approach generally doesn't seem to involve motion too often, although he did incorporate that some in last 2 games.

5) There is no instance for QB under center, even on kneel downs to close out games if we are ahead. I've seen him questioned on this in past and his response was "Nope, don't do it, no need for it". Seems a little risky that when closing out a game the center is snapping the ball 6 or so yds back to QB.

So to sum all of this up .. To me it seems Joe is or can be pretty inflexible about an approach to win a particular game. There's 11 guys on his side, and 11 guys across the line from them. Seems like a good chess player would try to put his 11 guys in good positions to win football games, and I'm just not seeing that right now.

Gawd how I hope I am so wrong about this. Otherwise it's gonna be excruciating.

msstate7
10-25-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm concerned bc he said no one had picked his offense up this fast in the offseason. He had no idea we were this bad running his offense.

Another thought is we blasted lesser teams with his offense, so I hope it isn't just a bad system to run against sec teams

HoopsDawg
10-25-2018, 05:36 PM
I'm concerned bc he said no one had picked his offense up this fast in the offseason. He had no idea we were this bad running his offense.

Another thought is we blasted lesser teams with his offense, so I hope it isn't just a bad system to run against sec teams

I think he was completely shocked by the LOS strength of the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2018, 05:59 PM
I'm concerned for the following reasons.

- I'm becoming apathetic because I don't know what to hope for.

- This looks like when Spurrier took his offense to the NFL

- I'm not sure what we need to run this offense. We are so off base right now from want Moorhead's offense was supposed to be that I have no clue what position upgrade we need to make it work.

- Well, we just need a QB! Uh, our QB was fine last year and the backups appear to not understand the system either.
- Well, we need a new coach! Uh, this coach has successfully implemented this offense at multiple stops.
- Well, our players must be stupid then! Maybe, but these are the types of players we've been recruiting for 50+ years so you better find a way to get through to them.
- We need a better OL! Uh, we have NFL talent on the OL.
- We need better WRs! True, but why are our WRs confused? Does that require talent?

This is my frustration. Most years that we've struggled on offense, I've been able to pinpoint 2 or so weaknesses that if upgraded, would allow us to have a good offense. This year I have no clue. I have no clue how to transform what we are currently doing to what the Penn State highlights look like.

I obviously want to win games to end this season, but perhaps more than that, I'd like to see our offense progress to a point where I can actually tell what we are missing to make this work. At this point, I have no idea where to start.

Dawgfan77
10-25-2018, 06:21 PM
This offense will not work in the SEC. yes RPO plays can be successful but not as a system. No one runs this offense no one.
It?s predicated on the QB reading the safety while the WRs run patterns based out of the WCO That?s all well and good but the size speed and strength of the DL put pressure on the QBs quicker and the safety?s are quicker to react which makes it very difficult to run this system. All this to say it hasn?t worked and it won?t work. We are averaging 9 points a game. No new QB or new RB or new WR is going to change that all of the sudden. DCs are running base stuff against us and we cannot even move the ball. Base formations.

deltadawg99
10-25-2018, 06:26 PM
There are a number of concerns, but for the most part seem fixable.

1. QB play. It seems as though Nick has taken a big step back with this new system. Has he always stared down his primary and not gone through his progression? The last play of the UF game is a prime example and Matt Wyatt had a few plays on his film study where someone was wide open but Nick never looked past the first option.

2. WR confidence. Our WRs have 0 comfidence. We drop a ton of catchable balls and look lost half the time.

3. Lack of RB use. I know it?s been mentioned a million times, but we have two studs in the backfield that don?t get the ball nearly enough. It seems like some of that is due to Nick keeping the ball regardless of the read. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE PLAY HILL AND WILLIAMS AT THE SAME TIME? Not against the rules to have 2 RBs in the game at the same time.

4. Moorhead and Getsy seem in over their head. I hope they improve but it shouldn?t be that difficult for an offense with this many veterans to grasp the scheme. SIMPLIFY THINGS

5. If Nick is really that much better then KT in practice we are deep trouble. I think it?s time to give KT a shot because i find it hard to believe he can?t do a better job. If anything give a little spark.

6. Offensive leadership. I haven?t seen anything to make me think we have any leaders on the offensive side of the ball. There doesn?t seem to be that Alpha that the team follows. Defensive has a bunch of them and it shows.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2018, 07:30 PM
This offense will not work in the SEC. yes RPO plays can be successful but not as a system. No one runs this offense no one.
It?s predicated on the QB reading the safety while the WRs run patterns based out of the WCO That?s all well and good but the size speed and strength of the DL put pressure on the QBs quicker and the safety?s are quicker to react which makes it very difficult to run this system. All this to say it hasn?t worked and it won?t work. We are averaging 9 points a game. No new QB or new RB or new WR is going to change that all of the sudden. DCs are running base stuff against us and we cannot even move the ball. Base formations.

Agree. RPO is a concept not a system. Aranda abused us with his pre-snap looks and then only rushed 4 most of the game.

Dawgfan77
10-25-2018, 07:37 PM

1. QB play. It seems as though Nick has taken a big step back with this new system. Has he always stared down his primary and not gone through his progression? The last play of the UF game is a prime example and Matt Wyatt had a few plays on his film study where someone was wide open but Nick never looked past the first option.

2. WR confidence. Our WRs have 0 comfidence. We drop a ton of catchable balls and look lost half the time.

3. Lack of RB use. I know it?s been mentioned a million times, but we have two studs in the backfield that don?t get the ball nearly enough. It seems like some of that is due to Nick keeping the ball regardless of the read. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE PLAY HILL AND WILLIAMS AT THE SAME TIME? Not against the rules to have 2 RBs in the game at the same time.

4. Moorhead and Getsy seem in over their head. I hope they improve but it shouldn?t be that difficult for an offense with this many veterans to grasp the scheme. SIMPLIFY THINGS

5. If Nick is really that much better then KT in practice we are deep trouble. I think it?s time to give KT a shot because i find it hard to believe he can?t do a better job. If anything give a little spark.

6. Offensive leadership. I haven?t seen anything to make me think we have any leaders on the offensive side of the ball. There doesn?t seem to be that Alpha that the team follows. Defensive has a bunch of them and it shows.

It?s is not going to matter. This system will not work in this league. Not with a new qb wr or rb. Sure we could use some better players on offense but it still wouldn?t matter

parabrave
10-25-2018, 07:42 PM
I want Joe to be the guy. I'm hoping the scoreboard will start lighting up. I was optimistic that his high flying offense would give us a chance against elite teams like Bama with the explosive plays. But what's bothering me are these things:

1) We've scored 7, 6, 23, and 3 points against SEC opponents. We only seemed to adjust for one game which was AU. There are never any in game adjustments that I can tell. Outside of AU game, we're putting up about 200 yd offense in SEC games. That's pathetic.

2) Any halfway good OC could've come in and put up 300 or better yds of O and scored somewhere between 10 and 21 pts in those 3 games. McElwain probably could've probably done it.

3) Sometimes you can win games by grinding it out and controlling the clock. Last year Mullen did that against Bama and we hung with them. THAT IS THE WAY to play Bama this year. Try to keep Tua and those wideouts on the sidelines watching. And I think we could run on them too. Joe is fixated on explosive plays and has to have them tho. I like them too, but don't want a bunch of 3 and outs to go with them. Don't want to get in a shootout with them either. Tua will kill us if either of those scenarios happen. When Bama has one of their elite Ds tho, explosive plays are about the only way you can beat them.

4) I'm scratching my head on Joe's base offensive approach generally doesn't seem to involve motion too often, although he did incorporate that some in last 2 games.

5) There is no instance for QB under center, even on kneel downs to close out games if we are ahead. I've seen him questioned on this in past and his response was "Nope, don't do it, no need for it". Seems a little risky that when closing out a game the center is snapping the ball 6 or so yds back to QB.

So to sum all of this up .. To me it seems Joe is or can be pretty inflexible about an approach to win a particular game. There's 11 guys on his side, and 11 guys across the line from them. Seems like a good chess player would try to put his 11 guys in good positions to win football games, and I'm just not seeing that right now.

Gawd how I hope I am so wrong about this. Otherwise it's gonna be excruciating.

Don't forget about not snapping the ball until 5 seconds left which goes against the philosophy of tiring out the Defense. Not to mention confusing the heck out of the ENTIRE offensive unit.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Don't forget about not snapping the ball until 5 seconds left which goes against the philosophy of tiring out the Defense. Not to mention confusing the heck out of the ENTIRE offensive unit.

I think every position group is out of synch. Croom was terrible but at least everyone knew what to do.

Goldendawg
10-25-2018, 08:43 PM
I think every position group is out of synch. Croom was terrible but at least everyone knew what to do.

Yeah. Run 2 to 4 yard patterns and hope for YAC.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Yeah. Run 2 to 4 yard patterns and hope for YAC.

Touchdown to check down! Lol.

boot
10-26-2018, 10:58 AM
I felt a slight twinge of concern watching one of the fall practice hype videos. Breiner(Qb coach) was leading some warmup drills with the QBs and Fitz comes up. Breiner blows the whistle for Fitz to go, Fitz stops him with a “not yet” and starts stretching. It was a complete lack of respect for his position coach, and it probably correlates to how much he bought in to our new coaching staff’s system.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 11:31 AM

1. Not sure if Dan had him check off then run but for whatever reason Fitz is not seeing open guys. This is the only thing that actually gives me hope for this offense.

2. Is Getsy just not connecting with college players? That was an issue for Baker his first year also. I remember reading an interview where he had to figure out how to relate to players when you don't have 40 hours a week with them.

3. This is driving me insane. I told my wife that we could probably run the Wildcat with Kylin and Aeris against La Tech, Ark, and UM and win. If Fitz isn't giving up the ball when he should then you bench his ass. KT could at least run the option like he has already been successful.

4. This is the head scratcher since Moorhead has been a successful OC in a P5 conference that is probably the 2nd best defensive conference behind the SEC. Every coach seems to go through some growing pains when they first get into the SEC. Anyone remember Mullen basically losing the LSU game his first year by trying to have a midget throw a jump pass instead of giving the SEC leading rusher the ball?

5. JoeMo seems to have to have a QB that can complete a forward pass and Fitz has somehow regressed to his freshman year. Not sure how much blame goes where but it falls on Joe getting someone ready to play QB. I understand there is probably pressure to play Fitz but Dan would have probably won more games putting in Dak earlier over Tyler also. Sometimes you just have to try something different if it isn't working such as Saban benching the best QB in the SEC in the Championship game.

6. I know comparing anyone to Dak isn't fair because he was a once in a lifetime type of leader but I have seen nothing out of anyone on offense. You see Green, Simmons, and Abrams all getting on each other and firing themselves up. At the end of the day, players play. That is the one thing the coaches don't have control over. Maybe I have just missed seeing it but I have seen zero out of Fitz and that pretty much has to come from your QB. Even when Dak was hurt he still was trying to help lead the offense.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Touchdown to check down! Lol.

What is weird with Fitz lack of dumping off to the check down is that was one of the biggest things Mullen pushed. Fitz is throwing into triple coverage with a check down wide open. Mullen might have benched him by now if he kept doing that shit. Mullen didn't like risking the ball like that and Fitz has the Ints to show for it this year.