PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing in Gatlinburg Area

SpaceWranglerDawg
10-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Anybody have any experience or recommendations for the Gatlinburg area for late November?

BeastMan
10-26-2018, 09:59 AM
I’m following this because I have a Gatlinburg trip in the spring

Prediction? Pain.
10-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Someone posted a similar thread last summer and I chimed in with my one-and-only East Tennessee fly-fishing story. (TLDR version = Plop your fly in whatever gorgeous mountain stream you come across and you won't be sorry.) But I when I did so, I also poked around a bit a found this:

https://www.flyfishingsmokymountains.com/streams.html

Seems like a good resource.

Oh, and something that I didn't mention the last time around -- the Bass Pro Shop along I-24 at the exit for Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge has a fly-fishing section with stream updates and a dude or two who at least pretend to know what they're talking about. If you don't ever find yourself in a legit fly shop somewhere, you could always pop into that place on your way into town for a little guidance.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

SpaceWranglerDawg
10-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Someone posted a similar thread last summer and I chimed in with my one-and-only East Tennessee fly-fishing story. (TLDR version = Plop your fly in whatever gorgeous mountain stream you come across and you won't be sorry.) But I when I did so, I also poked around a bit a found this:

https://www.flyfishingsmokymountains.com/streams.html

Seems like a good resource.

Oh, and something that I didn't mention the last time around -- the Bass Pro Shop along I-24 at the exit for Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge has a fly-fishing section with stream updates and a dude or two who at least pretend to know what they're talking about. If you don't ever find yourself in a legit fly shop somewhere, you could always pop into that place on your way into town for a little guidance.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for that! I love the east TN/NC fly fishing. A lot of fun, a lot of fish. Good times.

State82
10-31-2018, 01:54 PM
Hmmmm. Looks like 10" plum Power Worms, 1/2 oz tungsten weights and 20 lb fluorocarbon are not involved in this endeavor so I'm kinda lost. Looks like something I may need to try though. Good luck on your trip and give us a report

SpaceWranglerDawg
11-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Hmmmm. Looks like 10" plum Power Worms, 1/2 oz tungsten weights and 20 lb fluorocarbon are not involved in this endeavor so I'm kinda lost. Looks like something I may need to try though. Good luck on your trip and give us a report

Haha, yeah I get that. I put up everything but a fly rod in 2014. Love fishing in general, but fly fishing is just a different ballgame. Doesn't get any better in my opinion.

SpaceWranglerDawg
11-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Had a good few days fishing. Had to sneak out around family stuff, so didn't get to spend as much time in the rivers as I would have liked, but overall, I was extremely impressed with the options of fishing in east TN.

Spent time in the Little River and some creeks that ran off of it. Basically fished a lot of the little rivers in the park. Looking forward to going back.

BeastMan
11-27-2018, 10:45 AM
I’m definitely doing this on my trip in March. I’ll report back. A totally new type of fishing for me

SpaceWranglerDawg
11-28-2018, 06:59 PM
I’m definitely doing this on my trip in March. I’ll report back. A totally new type of fishing for me

I'll be going back for sure. It's an easy day trip for me.

Hit some fun stuff up in Arkansas too near the border. Lots of trout up there. Didn't really catch anything that was huge, but caught a lot of fish.