PDA

View Full Version : Let me sum up all the football threads into one...

Duckdog
10-24-2018, 10:40 AM
The team sucks, JOMO sucks, the players are stupid, play KT......

Commercecomet24
10-24-2018, 10:44 AM
You forgot if Mullen were still here.......*****

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Fire SloMo right now is a popular thread too. Also since Fitz sucks that means both Key and Mayden suck and it's obvious the high school QB is better than them despite still being in high school and he knows Moorhead's RPO system much better than the 3 current QBs that have been learning it for a year.

dawgs
10-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Fire SloMo right now is a popular thread too. Also since Fitz sucks that means both Key and Mayden suck and it's obvious the high school QB is better than them despite still being in high school and he knows Moorhead's RPO system much better than the 3 current QBs that have been learning it for a year.

Watching Fitzgerald execute this offense, I'm pretty certain he hasn't looked at the playbook outside of practice.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 11:26 AM
You forgot if Mullen were still here.......*****

It would be a much better atmosphere here

msstate7
10-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Watching Fitzgerald execute this offense, I'm pretty certain he hasn't looked at the playbook outside of practice.

Moorhead said no one has ever picked his offense up so fast. Pretty disconcerting that our HC never saw this coming

sandwolf
10-24-2018, 11:56 AM
.....and it's obvious the high school QB is better than them despite still being in high school and he knows Moorhead's RPO system much better than the 3 current QBs that have been learning it for a year.

Haha, my eyes roll to the back of my head every time I see someone anointing Schrader as next year's starter.

StarkVegasSteve
10-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Haha, my eyes roll to the back of my head every time I see someone anointing Schrader as next year's starter.

He will have as good of a shot as anyone and if he picks up the offense I wouldn't be surprised to see him be starter Day 1. Remember, he's Joe's guy and that'll mean something if it's close at the end of camp.

Doggie_Style
10-24-2018, 12:23 PM
He will have as good of a shot as anyone and if he picks up the offense I wouldn't be surprised to see him be starter Day 1. Remember, he's Joe's guy and that'll mean something if it's close at the end of camp.

Yea, playing against those brutal church league defenses has got him ready for the SEC***....Joe starts him at his own peril!

KOdawg1
10-24-2018, 12:32 PM
It's simple really. Cohen bought into Joe's "My offense is innovative and I'm smarter than everyone else" act (like the rest of us did), when in reality he had an elite RB in Saquon Barkley and a pretty good QB in Trace McSorely to make it look better than it actually was. Sure it's good against the weak Big 10 opponents and non-conference opponents, but when you put it up against a team with a defense (Ohio State, LSU, Florida), it ain't jack shit. I don't think we should fire the guy after this year, but he's skating on thin freaking ice. Unbelievable that after everything we built for 9 years, it looks like we're burning it down.

HoopsDawg
10-24-2018, 01:03 PM

No one is saying the team sucks.

HoopsDawg
10-24-2018, 01:04 PM
It's simple really. Cohen bought into Joe's "My offense is innovative and I'm smarter than everyone else" act (like the rest of us did), when in reality he had an elite RB in Saquon Barkley and a pretty good QB in Trace McSorely to make it look better than it actually was. Sure it's good against the weak Big 10 opponents and non-conference opponents, but when you put it up against a team with a defense (Ohio State, LSU, Florida), it ain't jack shit. I don't think we should fire the guy after this year, but he's skating on thin freaking ice. Unbelievable that after everything we built for 9 years, it looks like we're burning it down.

I'm telling you, he's a less arrogant Charlie Weiss.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 01:07 PM

If you burn down your house it can work out ok if you collect insurance. For us the insurance is learning from the mistake of getting duped for the next time we gotta hire.

yjnkdawg
10-24-2018, 01:11 PM

With him wanting to jump ship and go to that "real football school" as he called it. Just for your information, he didn't consider us a real football school. We were a stepping stone. If somebody doesn't want to be here, then the feelings are mutual.

Really Clark?
10-24-2018, 01:14 PM
With him wanting to jump ship and go to that "real football school" as he called it. Just for your information, he didn't consider us a real football school. It was a stepping stone,.

Not sure, but took 7 post as to the atmosphere here on the site not the program. Could be wrong

msstate7
10-24-2018, 01:15 PM
With him wanting to jump ship and go to that "real football school" as he called it. Just for your information, he didn't consider us a real football school. It was a stepping stone,.

I don't care what he considered us. He was 100x better than Moorhead. Hopefully we find another Mullen after we cut bait with joe

msstate7
10-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Not sure, but took 7 post as to the atmosphere here on the site not the program. Could be wrong

Correct

Political Hack
10-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Muck Fan Dullen.

Liverpooldawg
10-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Looking at a playbook (and learning it) and executing it on the fly under pressure are two vastly different things. In order for things to work against good SEC defenses players have to be reacting and not thinking. We are still thinking. A new system, especially one that has multiple reads on every play, takes time to get to that reaction stage.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Muck Fan Dullen.

And double joe

confucius say
10-24-2018, 01:22 PM
We should go ahead and do the statute of Dan in the junction. Best thing that ever happened to us. And we had owners of this site wishing he'd leave the last 5 years. Smh.

yjnkdawg
10-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Yep, as the girl said to Saban in the tv bank commercial. You are probably right. However, on this site, some posters are always going to be bitching or griping about something. If DM was here, So why don't we open up our offense, etc. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pollodawg
10-24-2018, 01:30 PM
I blame both Fitz and Jovester to a degree. It?s painfully obvious Fitzgerald has no clue what he?s doing in this offense. Zero clue. And I think Joe basically came in and said I?ll just run my offense without having Fitzgerald change anything about his style of play. I think Fitz did nothing all offseason, and I think Moorhead didn?t make him do anything all offseason. It?s almost like Moorhead considers this year a false start because this team had so many seniors. Like he came in and just decided to let these guys do what they do to finish out their career here, and he would get serious next season. That?s how it feels, and that?s stupid if that?s what happened. He trusted our seniors too much and just threw this year away.

Pollodawg
10-24-2018, 01:32 PM
We should go ahead and do the statute of Dan in the junction. Best thing that ever happened to us. And we had owners of this site wishing he'd leave the last 5 years. Smh.

I know it’s old hat, but Mullen is THE best coach we’ve ever had. You don’t want to be the guy who follows the guy, and Moorhead is that guy.

MadDawg
10-24-2018, 01:46 PM
I know it’s old hat, but Mullen is THE best coach we’ve ever had. You don’t want to be the guy who follows the guy, and Moorhead is that guy.

rep +1

RezDog7
10-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Didn't realize going to some bowl game was such a big deal, hell, there's half a hundred to go to. Don't give me that crap about being number one either. Do other schools talk about that like it's some big accomplishment. Even that season ended in failure. Mullen raised the floor, but only one a couple of big games and got his ass handed to him by ole miss when it mattered. I for one, am glad he's gone.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Looking at a playbook (and learning it) and executing it on the fly under pressure are two vastly different things. In order for things to work against good SEC defenses players have to be reacting and not thinking. We are still thinking. A new system, especially one that has multiple reads on every play, takes time to get to that reaction stage.

Well we've got issues if it takes half a season as a learning curve for the entire offense. More proof also that the high school QB ain't gonna be ready till half way through his sophomore season to start.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Didn't realize going to some bowl game was such a big deal, hell, there's half a hundred to go to. Don't give me that crap about being number one either. Do other schools talk about that like it's some big accomplishment. Even that season ended in failure. Mullen raised the floor, but only one a couple of big games and got his ass handed to him by ole miss when it mattered. I for one, am glad he's gone.

Yeah, things are way better now. You should be happy...

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Great. I just aspire for us to be a stepping stone again. Dan is the only coach that's ever left us wo being fired. Jackie was let go. Joe will be the next one fired. Rinse repeat. I'd take dan back now. Right now.

Liverpooldawg
10-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Well we've got issues if it takes half a season as a learning curve for the entire offense. More proof also that the high school QB ain't gonna be ready till half way through his sophomore season to start.

Everybody is different and it ain't just the quarterback.

Liverpooldawg
10-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Great. I just aspire for us to be a stepping stone again. Dan is the only coach that's ever left us wo being fired. Jackie was let go. Joe will be the next one fired. Rinse repeat. I'd take dan back now. Right now.

Yep, we hadn't been a stepping stone in half a century before Mullen. That in itself is a huge step up for the program.

Liverpooldawg
10-24-2018, 02:25 PM

Other schools who do it for the first time do, yes. We ain't Bama.

Gutter Cobreh
10-24-2018, 02:31 PM

2010 - Gator Bowl (Round 1) - great bowl considering we hadn't been in a while
2011 - Music City Bowl - sense of the program building
2012 - Gator Bowl (Round 2) - program somewhat becoming stagnat
2013 - Liberty Bowl - regression
2014 - Orange Bowl - best bowl game in Mullen's tenure and we got our asses handed to us.
2015 - Belk Bowl - regression
2016 - St. Pete Bowl - regression
2017 - Gator Bowl (Round 3) (now TaxSlayer) - regression

If Moorhead doesn't get us to a bowl game this year, then I agree he's on a short leash.

Remind me again though, what about the list I just provided shows a marked improvement year over year? I see a lot of ups and downs.

Moorhead may not be the guy, but Mullen damn sure wasn't going to take us anywhere he hadn't already. He had reached his potential here.

Pit Bull
10-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Just accept who we are.....nothing has radically changed in 50 years. We will NEVER get to the level of BAMA or other bluebloods. Six, seven, eight, nine, and occasionally ten wins are our MO. No point letting dreams of undefeated seasons ruin your life. We'll eventually upset BAMA.....normally once every 15-20 years, but someone else in the Western Div. will beat us to offset that delight. Works like a charm for me.

RezDog7
10-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Yeah, things are way better now. You should be happy...

No, I'm not happy. Nobody that bleeds maroon and white is happy. I would've been fine if Mullen stayed, but it was obvious he didn't want to be here. I don't know if Joe is a terrible coach or if Fitz is the worst QB ever, but something isn't right. Unfortunately, this season is wasted so time to move forward. If we don't win another game, Joe needs to go. If we go to a bowl, give home a couple more years and go from there. Just stop acting like MSU was ever going to compete with the big boys. It's never happened and never will. Being number 1 for a few weeks didn't do anything for MSU other than an answer to sports trivia question.

MadDawg
10-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Remind me again though, what about the list I just provided shows a marked improvement year over year? I see a lot of ups and downs.

Um, name one program not named Alabama that doesn't have ups and downs. And hell, even they do if you look over a long enough period.

Dawg2003
10-24-2018, 03:31 PM
With him wanting to jump ship and go to that "real football school" as he called it. Just for your information, he didn't consider us a real football school. We were a stepping stone. If somebody doesn't want to be here, then the feelings are mutual.

Was he wrong? Are we a real football school? I always considered us a baseball school that also had a lot of good, competitive basketball years in our history and hopefully our future. I've never once considered us a football school. Playing in the SEC forces you to at least attempt to have a competitive football program, but I'd never consider us a football school or a destination job for a coach that wanted to win a national title. We are a destination job in baseball though and a place to be for a coach that wants to win a national title.

Dawg2003
10-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Um, name one program not named Alabama that doesn't have ups and downs. And hell, even they do if you look over a long enough period.

True. Auburn and LSU recruit at a high level, and they are up and down. They can barely compete for titles with all the resources and talent they have.

was21
10-24-2018, 03:34 PM
Mullen is a driven man....can't really hold it against him for any number of reasons too numerous to list.

RiverCityDawg
10-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Muck Fan Dullen.

This is the thought I keep coming back to, but maybe for a different reason... We'd possibly be undefeated and ranked in the top 5 right now if he had not left us right before we were about to peak. This was my fear when he left and why I was hoping he would wait to leave AFTER this season (knowing he was likely going to leave soon). Just one more year, you hunchbacked bastard!

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 03:56 PM
2014 - Orange Bowl - best bowl game in Mullen's tenure and we got our asses handed to us.

If Moorhead doesn't get us to a bowl game this year, then I agree he's on a short leash.

Moorhead may not be the guy, but Mullen damn sure wasn't going to take us anywhere he hadn't already. He had reached his potential here.

Look at the previous 10 years prior to him and get back to me.....

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 04:03 PM

If you are looking for marked improvement year over year then that means National championship. That's never happening. You need to go follow Bama. Then get pissed when you don't win it but 3 out of 5 years. Fantasy land.

Pollodawg
10-24-2018, 04:10 PM

If you don?t think what Mullen did here was special, you?re a moron. Remember all those winning seasons and bowls before he got here? We?ve been garbage 95% of our history. He and Jackie were oasises in a Sahara of bad football. Get the 17 outta here with that shit.

Pollodawg
10-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Get outta your feelings. Mullen is a great coach. He ain’t here anymore, and that sucks, but he is a great head coach. Demanding more than he gave and bad mouthing him—given our history—makes you look like a jealous, petty **** cake.

dawgs
10-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Yea, playing against those brutal church league defenses has got him ready for the SEC***....Joe starts him at his own peril!

Freshmen QBs start every single season all over the country, including the sec, and have plenty of success. If he picks up the offense and is the best passer of the group, then you start him and let him take some lumps along the way. Would much rather do that than start a repeat of fitz (if that's what key and mayden are). If we start key or mayden because shrader has never played against a sec defense, even if he's the best passer and grasps the offense, then Moorhead may not see 2020. At least if schrader shows something resembling the offense Moorhead ran at penn st, fans will start getting back on board. If we put guys out there who can't throw and we repeat the 2018 MSU offense, Moorhead will be back at Fordham before schrader touches the field.

dawgs
10-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Yep, as the girl said to Saban in the tv bank commercial. You are probably right. However, on this site, some posters are always going to be bitching or griping about something. If DM was here, So why don't we open up our offense, etc. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's fair to criticize Mullen and not consider him a shitty coach. It's fair to get tired of him chasing after literally any and every P5 gig for the majority of his time at MSU too. I mean Maryland? Minnesota? Come on, gtfo with that shit. I get it if Florida comes calling or even Miami, but we are talking bottom tier big 10 schools he was flirting with that don't have a fanbase that gives a shit about college football.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 04:32 PM
It's fair to criticize Mullen and not consider him a shitty coach. It's fair to get tired of him chasing after literally any and every P5 gig for the majority of his time at MSU too. I mean Maryland? Minnesota? Come on, gtfo with that shit. I get it if Florida comes calling or even Miami, but we are talking bottom tier big 10 schools he was flirting with that don't have a fanbase that gives a shit about college football.

We've solved that problem. Moorhead won't be flirting with any school after this season

dawgs
10-24-2018, 04:36 PM
True. Auburn and LSU recruit at a high level, and they are up and down. They can barely compete for titles with all the resources and talent they have.

Bama has broke the sec, especially the sec west. Remember how stacked the sec coaching ranks were in the late 00s and early 10s? Saban methodically tore every single one of them down. The other program that's really improved their coaching situation between them and now is uga. The rest have either decidedly regressed or are crossing their fingers the new guy ends up being as good as the old guy.

RezDog7
10-24-2018, 04:37 PM
If you don?t think what Mullen did here was special, you?re a moron. Remember all those winning seasons and bowls before he got here? We?ve been garbage 95% of our history. He and Jackie were oasises in a Sahara of bad football. Get the 17 outta here with that shit.

I didn't say he wasn't a good coach but people on the sane board were complaining about him every year as well. He didn't want to be here so what does it matter.

dawgs
10-24-2018, 04:38 PM
We've solved that problem. Moorhead won't be flirting with any school after this season

Lulz true, but not the point.

Dawg2003
10-24-2018, 05:01 PM
Bama has broke the sec, especially the sec west. Remember how stacked the sec coaching ranks were in the late 00s and early 10s? Saban methodically tore every single one of them down. The other program that's really improved their coaching situation between them and now is uga. The rest have either decidedly regressed or are crossing their fingers the new guy ends up being as good as the old guy.

It's basically rigged to a certain extent. You have to win your conference to get in the CFPs, and there are only certain schools that can do that. It's predetermined for the most part every year. The same 10 or so schools rotate into the CFPs, and Bama usually wins. 99% of us are playing for a bowl game. It's just reality.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Mullen is a driven man....can't really hold it against him for any number of reasons too numerous to list.

Didn't seem to driven in recruiting top notch game changing players or very driven to overcome the final hurdles to put us up with the big boys as a program. Seemed quite content with staying as a 8 win type program. Also didn't seem very driven to fix the holes in his coaching staff and even joked about the importance of determining the starting kicker coming off a season in which he lost to South Alabama after missing a short field goal at the end. The more Moorhead sucks the greater Mullen becomes to some on this board recently.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Get outta your feelings. Mullen is a great coach. He ain’t here anymore, and that sucks, but he is a great head coach. Demanding more than he gave and bad mouthing him—given our history—makes you look like a jealous, petty **** cake.

Mullen is a good coach not a great coach. Great coaches don't set the all-time worst record vs ranked teams in the history of college football. Looks to me like it's you that is in your feelings not the other way around.

RocketDawg
10-24-2018, 06:06 PM
Moorhead said no one has ever picked his offense up so fast. Pretty disconcerting that our HC never saw this coming

I'd hate to see how he'd look if he wasn't such a quick study then ....

RocketDawg
10-24-2018, 06:09 PM
I don't care what he considered us. He was 100x better than Moorhead. Hopefully we find another Mullen after we cut bait with joe

Les Miles.

RocketDawg
10-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Nope. At least one other. Daryl Royal left us for Texas and had a somewhat decent career there.

Political Hack
10-24-2018, 06:38 PM
This is the thought I keep coming back to, but maybe for a different reason... We'd possibly be undefeated and ranked in the top 5 right now if he had not left us right before we were about to peak. This was my fear when he left and why I was hoping he would wait to leave AFTER this season (knowing he was likely going to leave soon). Just one more year, you hunchbacked bastard!

I agree. This season would've been the best test (arguably Dak's Jr season) of whether or not we can truly compete to get into the playoff.

dawgday166
10-24-2018, 07:14 PM
I didn't say he wasn't a good coach but people on the sane board were complaining about him every year as well. He didn't want to be here so what does it matter.

Which "sane" board are you talking about? I don't see much sanity on any MSU board I go to ****

MarketingBully
10-24-2018, 07:18 PM

That shithead was going to go to Tennessee before Florida called. Let that sink in. He?d of rather coached the Shitshow in Knoxville then coach his ?greatest team? he ever had here. **** him.

Bothrops
10-24-2018, 07:25 PM
A qb would solve all kinds of problems going on now.

One man.

dawgday166
10-24-2018, 07:36 PM

One man.

So you think it's all on Fitz? Coaching, WRs, Oline are no part of it?

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 07:39 PM

One man.

Usually does in football. I'll give Dan credit here. He is elite with working with QBs and getting the best out of them. Moorhead so far is 0 for 1.

Gutter Cobreh
10-24-2018, 07:47 PM
Look at the previous 10 years prior to him and get back to me.....

I'll point out increased SEC revenues and the increase in the number of bowls. See below to see how relatively easy it is to get into a bowl these days. You can't compare the Kang's reign versus Mullen's because they coached in different eras.

"To appreciate the rise to 40 bowl games, it's helpful to see the historic trend. In 1955 there were just six bowl games. Over the years, that number has steadily increased: to 11 games by 1975, 18 by 1995, 35 by the end of the Bowl Championship (BCS) era in 2013, and 40 by 2015. That's an increase in bowl games of about 567% over 60 years."

That shithead was going to go to Tennessee before Florida called. Let that sink in. He?d of rather coached the Shitshow in Knoxville then coach his ?greatest team? he ever had here. **** him.

I give Mullen his props and say that he is a serviceable coach. He isn't elite. Elite coaches don't leave schools where the cupboard is stocked (as some here think of our team's talent) to take over any perceived program they think is better. They don't want to acknowledge he was headed to UT before UF called.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2018, 08:15 PM

This is right. Mullen raised our expectations. That?s all. It?s not like he?s the next Saban. There are many coaches out there that can win as much or more than Mullen did at State. Unfortunately, we didn?t hire one of them.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 08:21 PM
This is right. Mullen raised our expectations. That?s all. It?s not like he?s the next Saban. There are many coaches out there that can win as much or more than Mullen did at State. Unfortunately, we didn?t hire one of them.

How many in our history won as much as Mullen? 69-46 (.600)

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 08:24 PM

How many had ESPN money and exposure like we have now?

msstate7
10-24-2018, 08:37 PM
How many had ESPN money and exposure like we have now?

I'm confused. Did all the sec teams not have the same money and exposure bc Mullen was better than quite a few that we weren't when he arrived

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 08:44 PM
I'm confused. Did all the sec teams not have the same money and exposure bc Mullen was better than quite a few that we weren't when he arrived

If you think 1985 MSU is equal to 2018 MSU I can't help you.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 08:46 PM

If the money and exposure raised us, why didn't it raise the other 13 teams as much as us?

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 08:50 PM
I'll point out increased SEC revenues and the increase in the number of bowls. See below to see how relatively easy it is to get into a bowl these days. You can't compare the Kang's reign versus Mullen's because they coached in different eras.

"To appreciate the rise to 40 bowl games, it's helpful to see the historic trend. In 1955 there were just six bowl games. Over the years, that number has steadily increased: to 11 games by 1975, 18 by 1995, 35 by the end of the Bowl Championship (BCS) era in 2013, and 40 by 2015. That's an increase in bowl games of about 567% over 60 years."

I give Mullen his props and say that he is a serviceable coach. He isn't elite. Elite coaches don't leave schools where the cupboard is stocked (as some here think of our team's talent) to take over any perceived program they think is better. They don't want to acknowledge he was headed to UT before UF called.
Well you are belittling what he did and yeah I can compare em. And Jackie only played 7 league games too. So there's that. You don't have to like dan, he was a dickhead, but what he did with our program was successful. Hard to argue w that. Even though you want to say we regressed from year to year. Hell, you called going 6-7 to 9 wins regression so ......

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 08:51 PM
If the money and exposure raised us, why didn't it raise the other 13 teams as much as us?

You act like Mullen feasted off of an easy SEC to average 7 wins a season. He didn't. He feasted off of OOC games. That's where money and exposure raised us the most. All Mullen had to do was go 2-6 in the SEC to make a bowl.

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 08:52 PM

I think that msstate point is EVERYONE benefited. While our exposure and money went up, so did everyone else's. Which btw, is true.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2018, 08:52 PM

Our history sucks. Your expectations are low. I want better. This ain’t it. But Mullen had reach his ceiling. A better recruiter that can coach can win more than Mullen. High school coaches in Mississippi hated Mullen. A bunch of them did. I talked to one that played at State. He personally told me that he would never allow one of his players to go to state as long as Mullen was there.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 08:54 PM
You act like Mullen feasted off of an easy SEC to average 7 wins a season. He didn't. He feasted off of OOC games. That's where money and exposure raised us the most. All Mullen had to do was go 2-6 in the SEC to make a bowl.

Mullen had a losing record in the sec 4 of his 9 years. 2-6 was his worst sec year, and he only did it once. He was .500 or better in 5 of his 9 years.

dawgday166
10-24-2018, 08:55 PM
I think that msstate point is EVERYONE benefited. While our exposure and money went up, so did everyone else's. Which btw, is true.

Did 7 make a good point today? Do I need to mark it down on my calendar ********

Just messing with you 7.

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 08:56 PM
But we only won 2 league games once in his tenure. At least 3 every other year. So that isn't what for us in bowls for the majority of the time.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Our history sucks. Your expectations are low. I want better. This ain’t it. But Mullen had reach his ceiling. A better recruiter that can coach can win more than Mullen. High school coaches in Mississippi hated Mullen. A bunch of them did. I talked to one that played at State. He personally told me that he would never allow one of his players to go to state as long as Mullen was there.

So you expect us to be better than we've ever been, and glad we lost our most successful coach ever. Sounds reasonable. I wanna hire urban Meyer... we should expect it bc, well, that's what I want

msstate7
10-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Did 7 make a good point today? Do I need to mark it down on my calendar ********

Just messing with you 7.

Bookmark it bc I'm gonna lose it Saturday night when we score 6 points, again

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 08:59 PM

Give a million dollar salary to a millionaire doesn't have the same life changing effect as when you give it to the guy making minimum wage. More money and exposure doesn't help Tennessee as much as it did MSU.

dawgday166
10-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Bookmark it bc I'm gonna lose it Saturday night when we score 6 points, again

I'll be losing it too. No, no, no ... I'm just gonna shrug my shoulders and get ready for hoops and know that my falls will be wide open for a few seasons.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 09:00 PM
Give a million dollar salary to a millionaire doesn't have the same life changing effect as when you give it to the guy making minimum wage. More money and exposure doesn't help Tennessee as much as it did MSU.

We passed tenn bc we had a better HC that made us better

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 09:03 PM

Well first, Mullen was disliked by many coaches. That doesn't help. But, coaches are given way too much credit in where kids go. Now they can be an influence for good and bad. But the good ones give an opinion, when asked, and otherwise stay out of the way. The ones that hide mail, and pull shit like the person you spoke of , trying to dictate, do the profession a bad name. And I know there are some like that.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Mullen had a losing record in the sec 4 of his 9 years. 2-6 was his worst sec year, and he only did it once. He was .500 or better in 5 of his 9 years.

Convenient you put .500 in there. How many seasons outta 9 did Mullen have above a .500 mark. Fact is Dan was slightly better than average but he was consistently slightly above average. He was great with QBs and he got us to bowl games 8 of 9 years. That's enough to crown him Bear Bryant at a school that's had very limited success to speak of in football. He's the prettiest fat girl at the dance who was gifted a Mercedes to drive with.

msstate7
10-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Convenient you put .500 in there. How many seasons outta 9 did Mullen have above a .500 mark. Fact is Dan was slightly better than average but he was consistently slightly above average. He was great with QBs and he got us to bowl games 8 of 9 years. That's enough to crown him Bear Bryant at a school that's had very limited success to speak of in football. He's the prettiest fat girl at the dance who was gifted a Mercedes to drive with.

We a Mercedes now? Lol... Mullen made us a good program, and Moorhead will wreck it

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 09:08 PM
We passed tenn bc we had a better HC that made us better

He barely beat Tennessee in Starkville the last time we played them while Derek Dooley was their coach. Is Mullen a better coach than Derek Dooley? He is. But he's not better than Les Miles or Gus Malzahn or Nick Saban or maybe even Hugh Freeze.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 09:11 PM
We a Mercedes now? Lol... Mullen made us a good program, and Moorhead will wreck it

No the Mercedes is the extra money and exposure ESPN gave us. Imagine what Jackie Sherrill coulda done with our current budget in the 90's. Everything already woulda been built that happened under Mullen.

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 09:38 PM
No the Mercedes is the extra money and exposure ESPN gave us. Imagine what Jackie Sherrill coulda done with our current budget in the 90's. Everything already woulda been built that happened under Mullen.

While I love Jackie and he made us believe we could win and that's huge, but budgets didn't matter to him, ask la tech,Memphis state, ne la, ark st among others. We had bigger budgets than all of this and they all whipped us.

Dawg61
10-24-2018, 09:43 PM
While I love Jackie and he made us believe we could win and that's huge, but budgets didn't matter to him, ask la tech,Memphis state, ne la, ark st among others. We had bigger budgets than all of this and they all whipped us.

We woulda had a budget 3-5x there's not one just slightly larger. Memphis probably was pretty close in budget to State in the 90's.

Gutter Cobreh
10-24-2018, 10:37 PM
Well you are belittling what he did and yeah I can compare em. And Jackie only played 7 league games too. So there's that. You don't have to like dan, he was a dickhead, but what he did with our program was successful. Hard to argue w that. Even though you want to say we regressed from year to year. Hell, you called going 6-7 to 9 wins regression so ......

Dan raised the expectation level here, but he had reached his ceiling. Please remember that with expanded bowls, we still needed help from our APR because we were 5-7 at the end of the season. I expect fluctuations in talent here, but we have glaring holes in our roster that were created by his inability to sign the right players.

He chose to leave. I appreciate what he did, but I don't place him on a pedestal like some. I also am level headed enough to say I'd give Moorhead 3 years to get his program in place.

I have faith he'll beat out Middle TN State for our next starting QB, just like Mullen showed he could do.***

dawgs
10-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Bingo. Big $$ in CFB has helped close the gap between the big traditional programs and the rest of us. You can only make your facilities so nice before you can't really buy anything to make a difference.