PDA

View Full Version : Caddyshack question

parabrave
10-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Who do you think did better in the movie? Chevy Chase or Bill Murray? Myself Bill Murrays Karl was so much funner than Chases Ty.

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Rodney and Ted Knight were better.

parabrave
10-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Ted knight was the best byhair over Rodney BUTTTTT the question was between Chevy and Bill characters. The reason I chose these two was because of the way that Murray stole the limelight from Chase making a previously bad relationship into a real Hollywood cat fight.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Well, neither role was supposed to be what they were. They were almost entirely ad-libbed, and did so well they extended into actual roles. Murray's scene at the ball washer where he was mumbling about the ladies teeing off and the greens keeper comes up to tell him to kill the gopher is supposedly part of a 30 minute improv he did.

To me, Chevy's role was one any number of people could have played and pulled off just as well. It can't touch what Murray did with Karl. Just look at how forced Akroyd is in Caddyshack 2 playing the knock off Karl.
You also have to look at what from the film has made it into the cultural lexicon. Chevy gets the "nnnanananananana...." on putts. Which is pretty strong. But Murray gives you "Cinderella Story", The Dalai Lama Story, "He's on his final hole, 455 yards away, I think he's gonna try a 2 iron...", eating the Baby Ruth.

TUSK
10-23-2018, 05:08 PM
I'm going with Bill Murray/Karl....

I read somewhere, long ago, that Murray was only on that set for 3 days...

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Murray of the two.

parabrave
10-23-2018, 05:22 PM
It's in the Hole. Rodneys character was also all improv when he couldn't relax and was told to be yourself.

Bully13
10-30-2018, 08:41 PM
I always thought Chevy was overrated. Bill Murray, Dan Akyroyd, & Belushi were all much more talented than Chevy. Chevy was just better looking, that's about it. Chevy was just goofy. Don't get me wrong, Chevy made me laugh sometimes. But Bill Murray was pure talent. I doubt anyone of you have ever seen the cult film "Where the Buffalo Roam", I challenge you to find the time to watch it. If you don't know who Hunter S. Thompson was, you need to. He was an American Bad Ass and that's what the movie is about.

Rodney, Murray and Ted are much more significant in Caddy than Chevy. there's just no arguing that point.