PDA

View Full Version : "Is Nick better in Practice?".... Moorhead w/o hesitation.. "Yes"

Coach007
10-22-2018, 11:44 PM
You may not like it... but it is what it is.

You may listen to the question at 13:19.....

bluelightstar
10-23-2018, 12:02 AM
I suspect fans heard the same things about Jalen Hurts and Kelly Bryant.

In any event, Key would almost have to try to throw 4 picks and 4 completions in 3+ quarters.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 12:13 AM

Do you even have a breaking point with Fitz? How awful must he play before you want to see Key? He passed awful awhile ago btw.

Todd4State
10-23-2018, 12:54 AM
Do you really expect him to say that he has been not playing a player that has been better in practice?

bluelightstar
10-23-2018, 01:06 AM
Do you really expect him to say that he has been not playing a player that has been better in practice?

If anything, it seems like a walk back of the narrative that there was a "huge gap" between the two in practice.

codeDawg
10-23-2018, 07:35 AM

Matt inferred yesterday that he?s seen both in practice and that Fitz is clearly the best option of the two, but he also said Madkin was a terrible practice player but would get on the field and make plays on game day. He said it?s time to give him a few series. I agree.

bulldawg28
10-23-2018, 07:46 AM

??? What's your point? I sing great and hit every note in the shower. It doesn't mean i'm a singer ready for the audience.

Leroy Jenkins
10-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Do we get credit in games for competitions in practice? Does practice count on our W-L record? Do 60k people show up to watch practice?

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Then Moorhead needs to ask himself what's the disconnect between practice and an actual game.

Lord McBuckethead
10-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Matt inferred yesterday that he?s seen both in practice and that Fitz is clearly the best option of the two, but he also said Madkin was a terrible practice player but would get on the field and make plays on game day. He said it?s time to give him a few series. I agree.

exactly. if fitz, who has started 30 games in his career isn't clearly better than Key who has 2 starts and one half of actual gametime under his belt, I would be worried. Fitz could be an entirely different player after 5 consecutive games starting and that is what I want to see. I want to see it prior to next year being 17ed up because of the learning curve of the first 5 games of a starter. Three losses before November means this season is already fallen way short of our goals, might as well use it to curb Key's 5 game learning curve. Also, some players do not look like ball stars at practice, but when the lights are on they thrive. I want Key's light to come on by using these 5 games as opposed to next years first 5 games.

Lord McBuckethead
10-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Then Moorhead needs to ask himself what's the disconnect between practice and an actual game.

Cause Fitz is throwing against a scout team, not live action #1s.

Dawgology
10-23-2018, 08:17 AM
If anything, it seems like a walk back of the narrative that there was a "huge gap" between the two in practice.

Yeah seemed that way to me also. Fits balled out against Louisville last year. Wonder how his practices were before that game? Also, you have to wonder as a sophomore coming off his freshman year where practices were very strict and organized under Mullen to Moorheads, who by all accounts are more laid back, if that’s impacting his practice reps.

Dawgology
10-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Valid point. KT might be playing against our first team D...poor guy

Jack Lambert
10-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Do you even have a breaking point with Fitz? How awful must he play before you want to see Key? He passed awful awhile ago btw.

I want to see Key as well but I don't want to turn my back on Fitz. My son however says bench is ass. In a little bit nicer wording. There is something going on with fitz mentally and he has to shake it fast or he will be on the bench.

Brahmabull
10-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Fitz said in his post game interview, they do better in practice with the passing game. Then he said, but that is going against scout team and not really full speed. When you speed the game up, it changes everything.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Moorhead said there's no longer a huge difference between the two. And THIS is why I've call BS on this whole "whoever practices best plays". You've got gamers and practice players. You also have guys that great in both. Don't sit guys because they're not practice players, Sincerely, Allen Iverson.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 08:46 AM
Cause Fitz is throwing against a scout team, not live action #1s.

That's what I thought.

msudawglb
10-23-2018, 09:03 AM
I don't care who you are...once you throw 4 picks in a single game, you deserve to sit. If the targeting doesn't get called, you have 4 completions and 4 picks in the game. That may be the worst stat of all NCAA for a complete game. Yes, you deserve to sit. I don't care if you put a RB back out there and run the wildcat. You don't put that QB back on the field after that many picks.

Coach007
10-23-2018, 09:11 AM
exactly. if fitz, who has started 30 games in his career isn't clearly better than Key who has 2 starts and one half of actual gametime under his belt, I would be worried. Fitz could be an entirely different player after 5 consecutive games starting and that is what I want to see. I want to see it prior to next year being 17ed up because of the learning curve of the first 5 games of a starter. Three losses before November means this season is already fallen way short of our goals, might as well use it to curb Key's 5 game learning curve. Also, some players do not look like ball stars at practice, but when the lights are on they thrive. I want Key's light to come on by using these 5 games as opposed to next years first 5 games.

Key wont be the starter. Not this year.... not next. He will start the qb that is completing about 70% and already knows the RPO. He is going to start the kid who is already throwing the back shoulder and the deep ball. He will start the kid who can run....

shannondawg
10-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Just wondering outloud if the slower motion of practice helps Fitz be a better practice player that K. Only time will tell.

dawgday166
10-23-2018, 09:40 AM
I don't care who you are...once you throw 4 picks in a single game, you deserve to sit. If the targeting doesn't get called, you have 4 completions and 4 picks in the game. That may be the worst stat of all NCAA for a complete game. Yes, you deserve to sit. I don't care if you put a RB back out there and run the wildcat. You don't put that QB back on the field after that many picks.

Lot of Hall of Famers on this list:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_single_game.htm

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Key wont be the starter. Not this year.... not next. He will start the qb that is completing about 70% and already knows the RPO. He is going to start the kid who is already throwing the back shoulder and the deep ball. He will start the kid who can run....

I'm so confused... You're talking about Shrader? What makes you think he ca throw 70% in college? what makes you think he's mentally fast enough to immediately run the RPO vs 4.4 SEC athletes? I've seen his film and agree he's a very talented passer, but Key is just as good of a runner. Being able to make great back shoulder throws is useless if you can't make any pre snap reads and can't read the secondary before the opportunities close. In the opener Key looked very slow at that too, but he's probably better at it than a HS kid. Or Shrader could be fantastic. Or Shrader could be crap but Moorhead wants to roll with his guy no matter what. None of us have any idea who will start next year

Dawghouse
10-23-2018, 09:56 AM
I assumed he was referring to Jalen Mayden. I agree Schrader won't be starting next year.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 10:06 AM

So you have no breaking point with Fitz at all since you said Key will not start this year. Are you referring to Schrader or Mayden here? Mayden and Key would have 1 year of learning over Schrader in Moorhead's RPO system so you can't possibly be talking about Schrader since he's still in high school and I'm pretty sure his high school doesn't run Moorhead's exact RPO offense. Yet somehow I think you're talking about Schrader. Way to keep the reader guessing though.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 10:09 AM

This is a good post. If Moorhead's offense comes with a 5 game learning curve as a side effect I want to see it with Key. I want to know exactly how difficult it is to pick up his offense. Consider these last 5 games a valuable information quest for us. If it takes minimum 5 games to pick up the offense and we have a coach totally unable to win games unless the quarterback understands the offense to the point they can give seminars to head coaches about it than we need to go get a new coach and we need to go get him after this year not next.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 10:13 AM
I assumed he was referring to Jalen Mayden. I agree Schrader won't be starting next year.

One of these two will be the starter next year.

This is a good post. If Moorhead's offense comes with a 5 game learning curve as a side effect I want to see it with Key. I want to know exactly how difficult it is to pick up his offense. Consider these last 5 games a valuable information quest for us. If it takes minimum 5 games to pick up the offense and we have a coach totally unable to win games unless the quarterback understands the offense to the point they can give seminars to head coaches about it than we need to go get a new coach and we need to go get him after this year not next.

McSorely does not strike me as a MENSA member. But his football IQ must be Sheldon Cooper level smart.

fishwater99
10-23-2018, 10:36 AM
I'm so confused... You're talking about Shrader? What makes you think he ca throw 70% in college? what makes you think he's mentally fast enough to immediately run the RPO vs 4.4 SEC athletes? I've seen his film and agree he's a very talented passer, but Key is just as good of a runner. Being able to make great back shoulder throws is useless if you can't make any pre snap reads and can't read the secondary before the opportunities close. In the opener Key looked very slow at that too, but he's probably better at it than a HS kid. Or Shrader could be fantastic. Or Shrader could be crap but Moorhead wants to roll with his guy no matter what. None of us have any idea who will start next year

^^This

RougeDawg
10-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Take this FWIW but someone who attends practice said we practiced entirely different plays the last two weeks, than we actually ran in the game against LSU. Let that sink in. Two weeks in a pivotal game for a season and most likely a coaching career, and you get into the game and run a complete different set of plays you had practiced the entire two weeks running and implementing.

I?ll just say that the two weeks of practice before LSU, were auburn type plays with an added two QB set of plays. Anyone watching Saturday night knows we ran neither type of play.

So if you really must know, our HC is not putting our players in the best positions to win and be successful.

Eta. Hearing on Friday, that we had continued practicing the Auburn motion plays and added the 2 QB set wrinkle, I thought we would blow LSU out, because they cannot defend that. They defend what we did as well as anyone. Line up, no motion, no fakes, and LSU will eat your lunch. That’s what we did and that was the result.

dawgday166
10-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Take this FWIW but someone who attends practice said we practiced entirely different plays the last two weeks, than we actually ran in the game against LSU. Let that sink in. Two weeks in a pivotal game for a season and most likely a coaching career, and you get into the game and run a complete different set of plays you had practiced the entire two weeks running and implementing.

I?ll just say that the two weeks of practice before LSU, were auburn type plays with an added two QB set of plays. Anyone watching Saturday night knows we ran neither type of play.

So if you really must know, our HC is not putting our players in the best positions to win and be successful.

Eta. Hearing on Friday, that we had continued practicing the Auburn motion plays and added the 2 QB set wrinkle, I thought we would blow LSU out, because they cannot defend that. They defend what we did as well as anyone. Line up, no motion, no fakes, and LSU will eat your lunch. That?s what we did and that was the result.

I know a lot of things are hearsay but ... I kinda believe this to some extent. Just watching him on sidelines he almost looks detached the whole time. And when Nick comes off the field, he never goes talk with him and I haven't noticed anything but Nick getting on the headset. Mullen would be teaching or talking to Nick quite a bit when he came off the field.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Eta. Hearing on Friday, that we had continued practicing the Auburn motion plays and added the 2 QB set wrinkle, I thought we would blow LSU out, because they cannot defend that. They defend what we did as well as anyone. Line up, no motion, no fakes, and LSU will eat your lunch. That’s what we did and that was the result.

Holy damn. If that's true we got a big problem with our coaching staff starting with Moorhead.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 11:13 AM
I know a lot of things are hearsay but ... I kinda believe this to some extent. Just watching him on sidelines he almost looks detached the whole time. And when Nick comes off the field, he never goes talk with him and I haven't noticed anything but Nick getting on the headset. Mullen would be teaching or talking to Nick quite a bit when he came off the field.

Moorhead was talking to Fitz a little bit after series vs LSU. I noticed it because I could see a little frustration from Moorhead finally.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Moorhead was talking to Fitz a little bit after series vs LSU. I noticed it because I could see a little frustration from Moorhead finally.

JoeMo was upset with him several times during the game. One was right after we couldn't score a touchdown and had to settle for a field goal.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 11:25 AM
JoeMo was upset with him several times during the game. One was right after we couldn't score a touchdown and had to settle for a field goal.

After Fitz kept it on 3rd and goal you could read Joe's lips when Fitz was trotting back to the sideline: "Hand it off!"

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Eta. Hearing on Friday, that we had continued practicing the Auburn motion plays and added the 2 QB set wrinkle, I thought we would blow LSU out, because they cannot defend that. They defend what we did as well as anyone. Line up, no motion, no fakes, and LSU will eat your lunch. That?s what we did and that was the result.

It seems like the only thing, Fitz is comfortable with now is a designed quarterback run, and that sometimes seems more hesitant or tentative than it was prior to his injury.

NCDawg
10-23-2018, 11:33 AM

You know, it's a shame that MS State fans have to be subject to such an inferior coaching job. If he loses to any of these three teams-LA Tech, Arkansas, or Ole Miss, he should be fired.

parabrave
10-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Well when you practice 7 on 7 well there's the disconnect.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 11:37 AM
It seems like the only thing, Fitz is comfortable with now is a designed quarterback run, and that sometimes seems more hesitant or tentative than it was prior to his injury.

Is he just comfortable with it or is he just trying to pad his rushing record before he graduates?

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Well when you practice 7 on 7 well there's the disconnect.

I've heard that too.

Coach007
10-23-2018, 11:50 AM

He doesn't have to make just pre snap reads. He has to make post snap reads too.

He is doing that and has been for 3 years. Time his release. He is making both reads.

He is also graduating early and should be on campus for all of spring.

No... we have have nobody on this roster as fast and accurate as this kid

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 11:56 AM
He doesn't have to make just pre snap reads. He has to make post snap reads too.

He is doing that and has been for 3 years. Time his release. He is making both reads.

He is also graduating early and should be on campus for all of spring.

No... we have have nobody on this roster as fast and accurate as this kid

I'm in the Moorhead rides or dies with Schrader next year group. That's his guy. He knows this kid has the tools, although raw, to successfully run his offense.

Will it make a difference? Who knows. Like I posted before: If we are still lost as ducks on offense this time next year, no matter who's QB, it will be time to move on.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Is he just comfortable with it or is he just trying to pad his rushing record before he graduates?

I think Fitz actually wants what's best for the team. In the LSU game, I think Aranda forced Fitz into running more,, by adjusted his defense where the quarterback read to Fitz looked like he should keep the ball on numerous plays.

bluelightstar
10-23-2018, 12:10 PM
If Moorhead's career depends on starting a true freshman in Shrader next year -- who, while good, is no Trevor Lawrence or Tua -- he won't be here long.

Coach007
10-23-2018, 12:21 PM
If Moorhead's career depends on starting a true freshman in Shrader next year -- who, while good, is no Trevor Lawrence or Tua -- he won't be here long.

Moorhead isn't going anywhere. His offense is the future of most football. Even the NFL is adapting to it.

If you think that kid is not head and shoulders above others we have for this system you are not looking.

You already saw Moorhead go with Hill over an sec 1200 yard rusher that is a senior. He is not going to suddenly change and give seniority over production.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 12:34 PM
I'm in the Moorhead rides or dies with Schrader next year group. That's his guy. He knows this kid has the tools, although raw, to successfully run his offense.

Will it make a difference? Who knows. Like I posted before: If we are still lost as ducks on offense this time next year, no matter who's QB, it will be time to move on.

Shrader is pretty much running JoeMo's offense now with a lot of quarterback reads, in his high school offense. He also has a high football IQ. KT and Mayden will have also had more time to learn and field practice JoeMo's offense for the 2019 season. Some think that Mayden is actually a better fit for JoeMo's offense than the DM one. KT seems a better fit for the DM offense, but that doesn't mean he couldn't run this offense. Neither KT nor Mayden have mastered it yet, and they aren't going to burn Mayden's red shirt. Time will tell on how things go and who moves to the top.

starkvegasdawg
10-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Fitz said in his post game interview, they do better in practice with the passing game. Then he said, but that is going against scout team and not really full speed. When you speed the game up, it changes everything.

Why the hell do you not practice how you play?

Cowbell
10-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Didnt our defense dominate our offense in early fall camp? Should Joemo have seen this coming, or is this a result of not letting Fitz get hit in practice? It is baffling that this kid is confused and we had the chance to practice against the best defense in the country for 4 weeks prior to the season. Just baffling.

I also wonder if Aranda was disguising the read man to look like he was doing one thing, but really doing another. This really wouldn't be that hard to pull off since Nick has to make such a quick decision. One slight step here or there could mislead.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Why the hell do you not practice how you play?

Because our scout team can't simulate in practice what it's like going up against the speed and talent of a good SEC defense in a real game. Now if it's the offense not going full speed, against the scout team then that is a big problem. Our scout team is better than SFA's defense so that was no issue in that game. But that's coaching to get them prepared for an actual game day situation.

fishwater99
10-23-2018, 01:01 PM
After Fitz kept it on 3rd and goal you could read Joe's lips when Fitz was trotting back to the sideline: "Hand it off!"

If Fitz won't run the play called, then bench him..

Cowbell
10-23-2018, 01:20 PM

This. 1000 times. Regardless of whether is selfishness or lack of understanding. I may not understand our offense fully (since nobody seems to), but he has been keeping it when the read says differently since the K State game.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 01:28 PM
This. 1000 times. Regardless of whether is selfishness or lack of understanding. I may not understand our offense fully (since nobody seems to), but he has been keeping it when the read says differently since the K State game.

Aranda set and adjusted his defense so when Nick was just about ready to snap the ball his read told him to keep the ball on numerous plays. Aranda wanted the ball in Fitz's hand only and to run the ball, and he knew we weren't going to beat them trying to pass.

Coach007
10-23-2018, 02:35 PM

You are misunderstanding that. He ran the play called. His job is to read it. Keep it or hand off based on defense. He kept it instead of handing it off. was the wrong choice.

RougeDawg
10-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Holy damn. If that's true we got a big problem with our coaching staff starting with Moorhead.

I?ll just say that this same person knew about the Cannizzaro stuff a few days before it went public as well. This person is well connected.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 02:54 PM

If this is true it's more evidence that Moorhead is self-sabotaging his HC career. Maybe he realized he's an introvert trying to do an extrovert's job and he's ready to check out.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 03:01 PM
If this is true it's more evidence that Moorhead is self-sabotaging his HC career. Maybe he realized he's an introvert trying to do an extrovert's job and he's ready to check out.

You gotta think guys on staff that are previous D1 head coaches like Hud and Jones are just shaking their heads. I'm almost to the point of believing either one them would be a better head coach than Moorhead.

msugolf
10-23-2018, 03:17 PM
I?ll just say that this same person knew about the Cannizzaro stuff a few days before it went public as well. This person is well connected.

It?s funny you say this. I too have heard a similar story. We have a few family friends who are college coaches. Well one of these guys, who used to be a dline coach under Jackie, and was considered pretty elite in his time ? we?ll call him coach PJ. Coach PJ talked to a couple of UK asst coaches after our game with them. He said that it was the strangest thing they?d ever seen. Our offense didn?t run anything in the game that they saw on film and prepared for. And that they basically ran a base defense the entire game.

Take that however you want but it shows me there?s a whole lot of poor planning, organization and communication more than anything else.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 03:25 PM
It?s funny you say this. I too have heard a similar story. We have a few family friends who are college coaches. Well one of these guys, who used to be a dline coach under Jackie, and was considered pretty elite in his time ? we?ll call him coach PJ. Coach PJ talked to a couple of UK asst coaches after our game with them. He said that it was the strangest thing they?d ever seen. Our offense didn?t run anything in the game that they saw on film and prepared for. And that they basically ran a base defense the entire game.

Take that however you want but it shows me there?s a whole lot of poor planning, organization and communication more than anything else.

I think Joe may be in way over his head as a HC. Next year will certainly tell the tale.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Stoops said post game that KY ran a simple defense, but that they did a good job of disguising what they wanted to do against us.

I_Spy
10-23-2018, 03:36 PM
You are misunderstanding that. He ran the play called. His job is to read it. Keep it or hand off based on defense. He kept it instead of handing it off. was the wrong choice.

I can’t blame Fitz, he’s a senior, young wide receivers in a highschool offense. It must suck to be in shoes BUT all games have been winnable, sometimes it seemed nick was forever in the shotgun which wasn’t helping his dominant speed talent at all - so Fitz said what the hey, why not but we should have through all the lackluster offense been trying to work in KT and the running backs.

I_Spy
10-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Or they may have wanted to pass more with Fitz, but it wasn’t the right planning obviously and to me should have just made plays for each QB to run instead of trying to put the wrong size shoe on a horse

Bodaski
10-23-2018, 04:47 PM

What would you expect him to say? No KT is better then Fitz in practice, but we aren't sure if it will transfer to the game field. It was a stupid question that required a comical response.

Turfdawg67
10-23-2018, 06:44 PM

Then why not play KT? Is there some CC agenda?

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Moorhead isn't going anywhere. His offense is the future of most football. Even the NFL is adapting to it.

If you think that kid is not head and shoulders above others we have for this system you are not looking.

You already saw Moorhead go with Hill over an sec 1200 yard rusher that is a senior. He is not going to suddenly change and give seniority over production.

Moorhead aint producing shit so idk where you get this from. If he has to have a perfect roster to win hes not a very good coach and will NEVER win here. If we lose to La Tech, Arkansas or OM he should be fired. Especially if we continue to average 9 PPG in conference play. Vandy is doing better. Croom did better. La Tech scored 21 on LSU

Gordon Gekko
10-23-2018, 07:04 PM
We're sitting here and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game KT goes out there and dies for and plays every game like it's his last, but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

RougeDawg
10-23-2018, 07:10 PM

It?s almkst as if we are running things all week I practice in hopes the word leaks out so SloMo can catch thenoplositiin off guard. Yet again the smartest guy in the room.

msstate7
10-23-2018, 07:19 PM
We're sitting here and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game KT goes out there and dies for and plays every game like it's his last, but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

I get it, and I like it. Loved that iverson rant

Pit Bull
10-24-2018, 01:21 AM

We dont have anybody like that coming in.....unless we can pay more than Dallas for Dak.

Dawgfan77
10-24-2018, 06:24 AM

No one not even state is running the Moorehead offense. RPO is just a term and not a end all be all system. All kinds of concepts can be RPO. Unfortunately ours sucks. And the main reasons are 1. We incompetent at HC. 2. We are incompetent at QB and 3. The defenses are to fast and can disguise safety?s to confuse the QB
I?ll say it again. This Joe Moorhead offense will not work here or in the SEC.

Dawgology
10-24-2018, 09:19 AM
No one not even state is running the Moorehead offense. RPO is just a term and not a end all be all system. All kinds of concepts can be RPO. Unfortunately ours sucks. And the main reasons are 1. We incompetent at HC. 2. We are incompetent at QB and 3. The defenses are to fast and can disguise safety?s to confuse the QB
I?ll say it again. This Joe Moorhead offense will not work here or in the SEC.

This is my problem with the RPO. A seasoned defensive coordinator can and WILL confuse a 21 year old QB 90% of the time. RPO is a good play to call in a game. Don't know if it's worthwhile to buid an entire offense around.

dawgwhisperer
10-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Do we get credit in games for competitions in practice? Does practice count on our W-L record? Do 60k people show up to watch practice?

practices don't get W's

tcdog70
10-24-2018, 11:00 AM
I think our WRs are the ones that are confused. They look bad running their routes. Remember Dak first Year at Dallas He was a Hero--why? they had the best OL and Great WRs, .. but when the OL went to shit and His quality of wideouts dropped--Dak didn't look so good. Sometimes the QB gets the blame or the praise when really it is a team deal.

NCDawg
10-24-2018, 11:33 AM
I think our WRs are the ones that are confused. They look bad running their routes. Remember Dak first Year at Dallas He was a Hero--why? they had the best OL and Great WRs, .. but when the OL went to shit and His quality of wideouts dropped--Dak didn't look so good. Sometimes the QB gets the blame or the praise when really it is a team deal.

I agree. I think Fitz has gotten "gun shy" because our OL doesn't block very well on pass protection-especially our LT. He thinks, and is probably right, that he doesn't have to time to survey the field and must get the pass off as soon as possible. To add to the problem, our W/R's seem to have a hard time getting separation, therefore, you have an inadequate passing game.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Matt Wyatt said this. Remember Fitz's first INT where Mitchell didn't even look for the ball? Wyatt said that was because he was running a bad route and was trying to avoid the ref. No crossing route should ever put the WR in that spot. Also we often have 2 WRs in the same spot, because they either don't know the play or are misreading their cues. I'm sure their inability to be where they should be is a contributor to Fitz panicking and forcing the ball... the few times he does read the D correctly he still has no confidence he's clear to throw, and the WR might be running the wrong route. I've watched Getsy's press conferences and he seems a bit... aloof? In his own head? Academic? IDk how to phrase it but I could imagine him stating something to the receivers and having 0 clue he didn't make it simple enough to get. Not trying to defend Moorhead or Fitz though, there's plenty of issues to go around.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Matt Wyatt said this. Remember Fitz's first INT where Mitchell didn't even look for the ball? Wyatt said that was because he was running a bad route and was trying to avoid the ref. No crossing route should ever put the WR in that spot. Also we often have 2 WRs in the same spot, because they either don't know the play or are misreading their cues. I'm sure their inability to be where they should be is a contributor to Fitz panicking and forcing the ball... the few times he does read the D correctly he still has no confidence he's clear to throw, and the WR might be running the wrong route. I've watched Getsy's press conferences and he seems a bit... aloof? In his own head? Academic? IDk how to phrase it but I could imagine him stating something to the receivers and having 0 clue he didn't make it simple enough to get. Not trying to defend Moorhead or Fitz though, there's plenty of issues to go around.

And on that same play our OL double teamed 2 DL, leaving one man unblocked, and Hill out of position and whiffed the block. Fitz threw it basically falling backwards/back-pedaling.

Bodaski
10-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Moorhead said there's no longer a huge difference between the two. And THIS is why I've call BS on this whole "whoever practices best plays". You've got gamers and practice players. You also have guys that great in both. Don't sit guys because they're not practice players, Sincerely, Allen Iverson.

judging practice players vs gamers is decided from watching game tapes. A prime example I witnessed in 1988-89 season. I was a student coach at Northwest MS Community College. Cortez Kennedy was a 0-3 tech on our defense. Cortez was a great player when the lights were turned on. Craig Randall was the DL coach under Rocky at the time. I called Wesley Reed and told him we had a DL they needed to offer. They sent Craig Randall to watch practice. I met coach Randall at the only motel/ restaurant in town. We had a good conversation about Cortez and I told him he wouldn't be impressed until the lights come on. I told Wesley the very same thing when I talked to him. We did not offer Cortez. coach Randall and I got into a pretty good argument about CK. I told him if he didn't want to look at game film and then evaluate him he would miss on many players. He told me, "Your not an SEC coach" and I said you are 100% correct. But, my smart asre comeback told him, "I wasn't a weather man but I knew when it was raining". Cortez went on and signed with The University of Miami. Was a 2 time all-American, Signed 4th overall in the 90 draft and played 8 out 10 years in the pro-bowl. He has since passed away but the lack of interest from MSU really concerned me at the time. But the following fall Rocky offered me the opportunity to finish my degree and be a part of MSU football. I told Rocky what Craig Randall said and he just looked at me and sorta grinned. I did get Tony Harris to come to MSU and he was a really good CB.

Dawgfan77
10-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Yep. We are running an offense that requires the QB to read safety?s and the WR routes are based on a WCO tree. Slow developing pass plays against fast DL and safety?s. Yeah. Seems like this will work.... why RPOs work for other teams. Because the ball is out fast on limited pass route trees.

lawdawg
10-24-2018, 04:01 PM
"Is Nick better in Practice?" .... Moorhead w/o hesitation.. "Yes"

Of course he is. Because he literally cannot be any worse.

Really Clark?
10-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Of course he is. Because he literally cannot be any worse.

....referring to which QB is better in practice not if Fitz better in practice vs games

dawgday166
10-24-2018, 07:40 PM
And on that same play our OL double teamed 2 DL, leaving one man unblocked, and Hill out of position and whiffed the block. Fitz threw it basically falling backwards/back-pedaling.

Folks seems to miss all that kinda stuff. You're talking of the 1st pick in LSU game ain't you? Where ball almost hit Mitchell in his earhole, but he wasn't looking?

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Folks seems to miss all that kinda stuff. You're talking of the 1st pick in LSU game ain't you? Where ball almost hit Mitchell in his earhole, but he wasn't looking?
Yep.