PDA

View Full Version : 44/99 for 371yd, 0 TDs, 6 INTs

chef dixon
10-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Your golden boy Fitzgerald in SEC play.

No QB has ever not been benched for a stretch like that.

Croomhead needs to get his head out of his ass and make a change.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 03:09 PM
It won't matter. There's not a QB on our roster that can run this offense. Which I find hard to believe there's not one that can grasp it and throw a decent ball at least 20 yards downfield.

Brahmabull
10-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Mulehead is Croom all over again. To hell with playing to your strengths. Just do your system because it fits you even though you aren't the one who has to go on field and execute it!! It's idiotic!

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 03:14 PM
You apparently didn't listen to the press conference. He's starting Fitz, but Thompson is going to play. Ole Jo say Fitz ain't the only problem.

chef dixon
10-22-2018, 03:17 PM
It won't matter. There's not a QB on our roster that can run this offense. Which I find hard to believe there's not one that can grasp it and throw a decent ball at least 20 yards downfield.

Based on what? The first game of the year?

He doesn't have to be able to run it perfectly, but dear god the bar is set in hell. It is unreal to me how many of you all think that theres no way KT can be better than those stats.

I understand Fitz fits the "tough good ole boy" persona that a lot of our fans love. But he has been worse than a steaming pile of hot shit.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 03:18 PM
You apparently didn't listen to the press conference. He's starting Fitz, but Thompson is going to play. Ole Jo say Fitz ain't the only problem.

So did Wyatt. Luginbill not doing his film work so much .. but I agree we should give Key a shot.

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Like Steve said on the Boneyard. We don't have an air raid quarterback on campus. I agree. KT needs his shot.

Brahmabull
10-22-2018, 03:29 PM
I have no problem getting KT some snaps. Do I think he will do better than Fitz? Highly doubt it. Our guys have been running a run oriented spread offense for years now. Mulehead came in and did a complete 180 on them. It isn't working and it won't work this year with the players we have.

Jack Lambert
10-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Our WR need to catch the ball when the ball gets to them.

bluelightstar
10-22-2018, 03:38 PM
I have no problem getting KT some snaps. Do I think he will do better than Fitz? Highly doubt it. Our guys have been running a run oriented spread offense for years now. Mulehead came in and did a complete 180 on them. It isn't working and it won't work this year with the players we have.

KT doesn't have to be Patrick Mahomes. We are just asking for better than 4/19 for 24 yards and 4 picks before garbage time.

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Mullen didn't recruit quarterbacks, only who could throw the long ball with proficiency or have a high completion ratio. He recruited a quarterback who he felt he could develop and run his system. JoeMo needs pretty much what DM didn't need to run his offense. So here we are.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 03:51 PM

He doesn't have to be able to run it perfectly, but dear god the bar is set in hell. It is unreal to me how many of you all think that theres no way KT can be better than those stats.

I understand Fitz fits the "tough good ole boy" persona that a lot of our fans love. But he has been worse than a steaming pile of hot shit.

I'm talking about every damn QB on our roster. Apparently we don't have one than can run Joe's offense with just a medium amount of success. It ain't about Key. It ain't about Fitz. We did not recruit a QB that can remotely handle Joe's expectations for running his offense. Which again, I find hard to believe that Fitz is the de facto guy and no one else on the QB roster can have an intelligent conversation with Joe about his offense or throw a catchable ball at least 20 yards.

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 04:00 PM
I'm talking about every damn QB on our roster. Apparently we don't have one than can run Joe's offense with just a medium amount of success. It ain't about Key. It ain't about Fitz. We did not recruit a QB that can remotely handle Joe's expectations for running his offense. Which again, I find hard to believe that Fitz is the de facto guy and no one else on the QB roster can have an intelligent conversation with Joe about his offense or throw a catchable ball at least 20 yards.

DM recruited quarterbacks that he could develop to run his offensive plan, and being a proficient down field passer was not a priority. Also a higher completion ratio wasn't one either. JoeMo needs what DM didn't need to run his offense the way it was intended to be run. Mayden fits Joemo's offense better than the others, but Mayden is no there yet.

Dawg61
10-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Seemed like half this board wanted Key to start during the offseason. Where are all you now? Key set like a dozen school records vs SFA. He threw the ball away several times which hurt his completion % but there is NOTHING about that game that showed he can't run the offense better than 19 yards 4 picks Fitz right now. Unbelievable that some STILL don't want Fitz benched at this point. One being our dumbass stubborn head coach.

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Seemed like half this board wanted Key to start during the offseason. Where are all you now? Key set like a dozen school records vs SFA. He threw the ball away several times which hurt his completion % but there is NOTHING about that game that showed he can't run the offense better than 19 yards 4 picks Fitz right now. Unbelievable that some STILL don't want Fitz benched at this point. One being our dumbass stubborn head coach.

I want KT to get a shot, but our scout team is better than SFA's defense was. Neither is comparable to a good SEC defense.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 04:10 PM

If...if... Key comes into the A&M game and makes better decisions, better reads and better throws than Fitz, and we beat A&M, this board will melt.

We've been told by several around here that Key is totally lost in this offense. And then I look at Fitz Saturday night and think "And so is he."

bluelightstar
10-22-2018, 04:33 PM
If...if... Key comes into the A&M game and makes better decisions, better reads and better throws than Fitz, and we beat A&M, this board will melt.

We've been told by several around here that Key is totally lost in this offense. And then I look at Fitz Saturday night and think "And so is he."

I'll remind everyone that Dak was supposedly "notorious" for being a bad practice player, but was much different under the lights...

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/04/20/msu-post-spring-quarterback-evaluation-nick-fitzgerald/83282936/

KOdawg1
10-22-2018, 04:41 PM
But, but.. Key's completion % vs SFA!!! *

BhamDawg205
10-22-2018, 04:42 PM

This and then some... Some people just hate change, even when the old ain't working.

bulldawg28
10-22-2018, 04:45 PM

He's worst than lost.

Sacrifice
10-22-2018, 05:09 PM
At this point I don't care who plays qb. Put Key in, if he sucks put Mayden in, if he sucks put Logan Burnett in, and on and on.
Watching the D play their ass off and the offense can't get out of its on way is frustrating as hell.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 05:14 PM

I won't melt. I'll be glad we scored some damn points.

I'm just saying everyone wants to blame Fitz ... he handles the ball each snap.

But on so many plays an Olineman just totally screws up an assignment, a RB doesn't pick up a blitz, 2 WRs run routes ending up about 5 yds apart, etc. There is so much confusion on possible passing plays, whether RPO or designed, it is unreal.

And all y'all wanna blame it JUST on Fitz, not the head man in charge of this crapfest.

This is what Wyatt explained today on Bo Bounds, and it's what I've seen in the 2 games (FL & LSU) that I rewatched (3 and 2 times respectively) while rewinding repeatedly to make sure what was happening on each play.

If all of that happens when Key is in there ... you'll get the same results.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 05:17 PM
He's worst than lost.

Damn.

And none of the other QBs show a pulse running Joe's offense?

Schrader starts next year if all this is true. Hell, I bet Joe has already told him he's starting next year.

Coursesuper
10-22-2018, 05:21 PM
He's worst than lost.

After rewatching that bullshit, sadly this isn't only on Fitz. The whole damn bunch is confused. The receivers can't read defense to understand which routes to run, Fitz can't keep up with protections or read a defense at depth. The oline wasn't awful but I don't quite understand exactly what they are doing technically. Bucky help me out here.

But no one is on the same page, it's a malfunctioning machine zero continuity even in the run game.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 05:24 PM

But on so many plays an Olineman just totally screws up an assignment, a RB doesn't pick up a blitz, 2 WRs run routes ending up about 5 yds apart, etc. There is so much confusion on possible passing plays, whether RPO or designed, it is unreal.

And all y'all wanna blame it JUST on Fitz, not the head man in charge of this crapfest.

This is what Wyatt explained today on Bo Bounds, and it's what I've seen in the 2 games (FL & LSU) that I rewatched (3 and 2 times respectively) while rewinding repeatedly to make sure what was happening on each play.

These guys know one offense and that coach is gone.

Moorhead has done an abysmal job of installing his offense. And I don't think he has what it takes to be a SEC head coach. He's in over his head.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 05:25 PM
After rewatching that bullshit, sadly this isn't only on Fitz. The whole damn bunch is confused. The receivers can't read defense to understand which routes to run, Fitz can't keep up with protections or read a defense at depth. The oline wasn't awful but I don't quite understand exactly what they are doing technically. Bucky help me out here.

But no one is on the same page, it's a malfunctioning machine zero continuity even in the run game.

As much of a Fitz homer as I am, I rewatched kinda hoping it was ONLY Fitz. But it ain't. And go rewatch the FL game. Fitz actually played pretty damn good and got ZERO help for the most part. Crucial mistakes by others killed drives in that game.

GreenheadDawg
10-22-2018, 05:32 PM
The X factor here is that Slomo sucks as a head coach and is more lost than any player on the team. Has Fitz sucked, absolutely, but it all starts at the top. He did a shit job of installing the offense. Nobody has an F’n clue what’s going on

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 05:39 PM
The X factor here is that Slomo sucks as a head coach and is more lost than any player on the team. Has Fitz sucked, absolutely, but it all starts at the top. He did a shit job of installing the offense. Nobody has an F’n clue what’s going on

I wonder if Joe starts back over at square one and reinstalls the offense in the spring?

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 09:11 PM
I wonder if Joe starts back over at square one and reinstalls the offense in the spring?

If a few on this board will let him survive at least through the TAMU game then he possibly will. Right now it is really watered down. I think the only thing Fitz is comfortable with is a designed quarterback room.

Coach007
10-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Your golden boy Fitzgerald in SEC play.

No QB has ever not been benched for a stretch like that.

Croomhead needs to get his head out of his ass and make a change.

Fitz will be the man.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 12:15 AM
Fitz will be the man.

The man to lose to aTm, Arkansas and Ole Miss. You want to still win 7 games this year better get on board the Key train.

deadheaddawg
10-23-2018, 12:30 AM

There was nothing in Lafayette game that said Fitz couldn't either

Don't get me wrong, I want KT to start Saturday. Why not? Can't be worse. But I'm not expecting better.

Crap games mean nothing. Fitz looks great in them too. And KT didn't look all that accurate in the SFA games. He's stats looked great, but if you watched it he didnt look nearly as good

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 01:49 AM
There was nothing in Lafayette game that said Fitz couldn't either

Don't get me wrong, I want KT to start Saturday. Why not? Can't be worse. But I'm not expecting better.

Crap games mean nothing. Fitz looks great in them too. And KT didn't look all that accurate in the SFA games. He's stats looked great, but if you watched it he didnt look nearly as good

He looked fine. He certainly didn't look bad to the point he can't ever see the field no matter how terrible Fitz keeps on playing which is exactly what's going on right now. And I see that you do want to see him start. Just saying. It's gotten absurd with Key for some people. It's like the stink of Fitz and Moorhead has somehow rubbed off on Key in people's minds. Even Mayden too. They are ready to completely throw away both backups and give the starting job to a senior in high school right now. It's absurd logic.

SailingDawg
10-23-2018, 09:43 AM
What were Fitz's passing stats the last two years? They weren't bad at all.

What's different this year that makes him so ineffective?

dawgday166
10-23-2018, 09:51 AM
The man to lose to aTm, Arkansas and Ole Miss. You want to still win 7 games this year better get on board the Key train.

Your expectations are pretty high for Key. What makes you think he's gonna come right in and be so great?

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Your expectations are pretty high for Key. What makes you think he's gonna come right in and be so great?

I don't think he's necessarily going to be all-SEC great or anything I just think he'll be able to read the most obvious of blitzes and complete 8 yard passes. Both of which Fitz is unable to do right now. LSU had their LB blitzing uncovered off the edge and Fitz didn't even look at him once till he was grabbing him for the sack. He didn't even look to the right side of the field AT ALL and that was the side were LSU was obviously blitzing the LB with. He's in shell shock or has a concussion or something because he's not picking up the most obvious of all blitzes and he's missing wide open check down options every single pass. Florida safety blitzed straight up the middle and Fitz's appeared to be looking straight at him yet did nothing to get out of his way for the game ending sack. I don't know how it can be anymore obvious that Fitz needs to take a few series/games/rest of the season off.

dawgday166
10-23-2018, 10:06 AM
I don't think he's necessarily going to be all-SEC great or anything I just think he'll be able to read the most obvious of blitzes and complete 8 yard passes. Both of which Fitz is unable to do right now. LSU had their LB blitzing uncovered off the edge and Fitz didn't even look at him once till he was grabbing him for the sack. He didn't even look to the right side of the field AT ALL and that was the side were LSU was obviously blitzing the LB with. He's in shell shock or has a concussion or something because he's not picking up the most obvious of all blitzes and he's missing wide open check down options every single pass. Florida safety blitzed straight up the middle and Fitz's appeared to be looking straight at him yet did nothing to get out of his way for the game ending sack. I don't know how it can be anymore obvious that Fitz needs to take a few series/games/rest of the season off.

I hope you right ... we need some kind of spark.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2018, 10:37 AM

I have a feeling that Key is gonna make Croomhead look really bad for not playing him earlier. There is no way he can be as bad as Fitz. No way.

TrapGame
10-23-2018, 10:39 AM
I have a feeling that Key is gonna make Croomhead look really bad for not playing him earlier. There is no way he can be as bad as Fitz. No way.

As I've posted before Key has had longer in the system than Fitz. He can't be that much worse then Fitz. He just can't.

bluelightstar
10-23-2018, 10:42 AM

In fairness to Moorhead, even if were Key were better in practice, Fitz had to lose the job. I don't think it would have sat well with the fans otherwise.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 10:49 AM
In fairness to Moorhead, even if were Key were better in practice, Fitz had to lose the job. I don't think it would have sat well with the fans otherwise.

For sure Fitz had to lose the job and he's done that and more. We shoulda benched him earlier but he deserved to get the rushing record. Now it just appears he wants to pad his stats on that while he still can before he gets yanked. Him rushing up the middle 22 times while our RBs get a combined 14 carries appears as evidence to this.

Really Clark?
10-23-2018, 11:14 AM
For sure Fitz had to lose the job and he's done that and more. We shoulda benched him earlier but he deserved to get the rushing record. Now it just appears he wants to pad his stats on that while he still can before he gets yanked. Him rushing up the middle 22 times while our RBs get a combined 14 carries appears as evidence to this.

Might want to count the number of designed QB runs before casting all of that on the QB. A QB who had no problem giving the ball 80 more times to Aeris last year. And for arguments sake if your theory is true then the HC is responsible for getting that straightened and would of only taken 2 seconds for me to cut that out.

Prediction? Pain.
10-23-2018, 11:31 AM
What were Fitz's passing stats the last two years? They weren't bad at all.

What's different this year that makes him so ineffective?

Better, but not great.

In an SPS thread yesterday, MsState7 posted Fitz' QBR ranks -- ESPN's advanced QB stat that takes running numbers into account along with passing -- among SEC QBs the last three years. He was top 5 in 2016 and 2017, but at or near the bottom of the conference now. 7 made a good point about how Fitz' running ability likely propped up his numbers, so I looked it up to learn more. Here's what I found, which I posted on the SPS thread yesterday:

I'm not all that familiar with the ins and outs of the QBR "points added" system, but I think you're right to point out how Fitz' exceptional running game boosts his numbers.

If you break his QBR down into passing and rushing, the stats for each of his years here tell the same story:

National/SEC rank in Rushing EPA

2016 - No. 2 / No. 1
2017 - No. 5 / No. 1
2018 - No. 11 / No. 1

National / SEC rank in Passing EPA

2016 - No. 100 / No. 12
2017 - No. 100 / No. 10
2018 - No. 131 / No. 14

And if you go back and look at his passing "points added" stats for individual games, you'll see that his numbers are propped up some by games against non-conference cupcakes and bad SEC defenses. That was especially true vs. UMass and Samford in 2016, where his Passing EPA numbers were more than twice as good as his next-best SEC games (vs. Arkansas and in the Egg Bowl). (Though oddly enough, in 2017, he had negative Passing EPA numbers against UMass.)

So even when the offense flourished, he was one of the worst passing QBs in the SEC while also being the best rushing QB in the league. The bummer this year is that for whatever reason -- first year in an all-new system, new starting receivers also learning a new system, passing offense being poorly tailored to fit his/our receivers' capabilities, etc. -- his passing game is even worse than it already was.

The thing is, though, there's still time for Fitz to revert to his norm against lesser defenses in the homestretch. Our SEC games so far have been against defenses ranked 3rd, 4th, 10th, ad 19th nationally in S&P+ rankings. Our remaining conference games are against defenses ranked 20th (Bama), 25th (Texas A&M), 57th (Ark.), and 110th (U. Miss.). And then we'll also have La Tech's 78th ranked D sandwiched in there. Throwing out the Bama game from those last five, if Moorhead can get Fitz to improve slightly to where he was in 2016 and 2017 -- which may be difficult at this point in the season and given that Fitz was putting up the numbers he was after having 2 or 3 years in Mullen's system -- the offense as a whole should improve quite a bit.

Dawg61
10-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Might want to count the number of designed QB runs before casting all of that on the QB. A QB who had no problem giving the ball 80 more times to Aeris last year. And for arguments sake if your theory is true then the HC is responsible for getting that straightened and would of only taken 2 seconds for me to cut that out.

I never claimed Moorhead wasn't afraid of confrontation.

tcdog70
10-23-2018, 11:40 AM

right you are. Fitz was the total offense leader in the SEC as a Soph. So he has just forgot how to play? JOE has him playing to His weakness instead of his strength.

I think if we walk up to line and snap the ball, instead of sitting in our stance for 25 seconds our OL will play better. Put Hill in slot and A-train as a Running Back with Fitz--then we have our 3 best playmakers in the game. Let Hill play jameon Lewis role. Run some play action passes to RBs and TEs.
it ain't ROCKET SURGERY>

tcdog70
10-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Better, but not great.

In an SPS thread yesterday, MsState7 posted Fitz' QBR ranks -- ESPN's advanced QB stat that takes running numbers into account along with passing -- among SEC QBs the last three years. He was top 5 in 2016 and 2017, but at or near the bottom of the conference now. 7 made a good point about how Fitz' running ability likely propped up his numbers, so I looked it up to learn more. Here's what I found, which I posted on the SPS thread yesterday:

I'm not all that familiar with the ins and outs of the QBR "points added" system, but I think you're right to point out how Fitz' exceptional running game boosts his numbers.

If you break his QBR down into passing and rushing, the stats for each of his years here tell the same story:

National/SEC rank in Rushing EPA

2016 - No. 2 / No. 1
2017 - No. 5 / No. 1
2018 - No. 11 / No. 1

National / SEC rank in Passing EPA

2016 - No. 100 / No. 12
2017 - No. 100 / No. 10
2018 - No. 131 / No. 14

And if you go back and look at his passing "points added" stats for individual games, you'll see that his numbers are propped up some by games against non-conference cupcakes and bad SEC defenses. That was especially true vs. UMass and Samford in 2016, where his Passing EPA numbers were more than twice as good as his next-best SEC games (vs. Arkansas and in the Egg Bowl). (Though oddly enough, in 2017, he had negative Passing EPA numbers against UMass.)

So even when the offense flourished, he was one of the worst passing QBs in the SEC while also being the best rushing QB in the league. The bummer this year is that for whatever reason -- first year in an all-new system, new starting receivers also learning a new system, passing offense being poorly tailored to fit his/our receivers' capabilities, etc. -- his passing game is even worse than it already was.

The thing is, though, there's still time for Fitz to revert to his norm against lesser defenses in the homestretch. Our SEC games so far have been against defenses ranked 3rd, 4th, 10th, ad 19th nationally in S&P+ rankings. Our remaining conference games are against defenses ranked 20th (Bama), 25th (Texas A&M), 57th (Ark.), and 110th (U. Miss.). And then we'll also have La Tech's 78th ranked D sandwiched in there. Throwing out the Bama game from those last five, if Moorhead can get Fitz to improve slightly to where he was in 2016 and 2017 -- which may be difficult at this point in the season and given that Fitz was putting up the numbers he was after having 2 or 3 years in Mullen's system -- the offense as a whole should improve quite a bit.

good facts--what about our WRs ranking during the same time. How many drops per chance--, Remember It takes 2 to complete a pass.

Really Clark?
10-23-2018, 12:11 PM
I never claimed Moorhead wasn't afraid of confrontation.

True and that may be an issue as well. He could have it done through an assistant. Or just bench him for 2 series to get his attention.