PDA

View Full Version : This sounds eerily familiar

hacker
10-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Will Muschamp Explains the Downside of RPOs

http://footballscoop.com/news/will-muschamp-explains-downside-rpos/
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article220234800.html

?We are looking at having more run-to-run and taking some tags off the RPOs,? he said. ?We?re going to still do the RPOs, that?s been very good for us, but sometimes we?re getting too far away from the run game and not sticking with it.?

Last week against Texas A&M, Gamecock running backs were ripping off close to 7 yards per carry in the first half but in the second half those same backs only got six carries between all of them. Muschamp explained that they had nearly 10 other times they would have liked to have run the ball called, but an RPO was tagged with it, and the ball ended up in the air instead. They finished the game with 14 carries total for the running backs, and another four from the quarterback.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 02:28 PM
DCs are figuring out how to 17 with the rpo. It's like someone posted here: the defenses will dictate that you play to your weakness.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2018, 02:42 PM
So what you are saying is that we hired an HC whose entire offensive philosophy has already been made obsolete by SEC defenses.

That is so Missippi' tate......

Lord McBuckethead
10-22-2018, 04:25 PM
DCs are figuring out how to 17 with the rpo. It's like someone posted here: the defenses will dictate that you play to your weakness.

Everyone wants to call everything an RPO these days. If the QB makes a motion to hand it off and instead pulls it and throws it, everyone is RPO this and that. To me, the only thing that is an RPO is how Auburn and UM ran the RPO a few years ago. Fake a hand off, QB takes off running outside the tackles, waits for the CB to make a decision to come tackle or stay in coverage, once he commits, the QB either throws it or runs it trying to stiff arm the LB on his ass.

Everything else is just an option, play action pass.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Everyone wants to call everything an RPO these days. If the QB makes a motion to hand it off and instead pulls it and throws it, everyone is RPO this and that. To me, the only thing that is an RPO is how Auburn and UM ran the RPO a few years ago. Fake a hand off, QB takes off running outside the tackles, waits for the CB to make a decision to come tackle or stay in coverage, once he commits, the QB either throws it or runs it trying to stiff arm the LB on his ass.

Yeah I saw a video where Chip Kelly was talking about how announcers call everything an RPO now because that's the new buzz word, when it's just not the case.

BuckyIsAB****
10-22-2018, 06:41 PM

If you play man coverage (which is what you will get in the SEC esp against WRs you dont respect) RPOs can be taken out of the game.

Of course it wont matter if you have a war daddy at who you are tagging it to.

Moorhead should take all the tags off and tell Fitz hand the bitch off unless I tag it. We dont have enough talent at WR or chemistry built up to allow them to do some of their own thing like established passing teams do. That and Fitz probably has never ever ran an offense like this and is confused

BuckyIsAB****
10-22-2018, 06:43 PM

What you said first is exactly what a RPO is. Its just up to the QB to read whether to hand it off or give it. Most of the time you are reading 1 defender and if he does this you do that and if he does that you do this. Its not nearly as complicated as what some people want to make it.

You can tell whats an RPO and whats not by looking at the QB's eyes

TXDawg
10-22-2018, 06:55 PM
What you said first is exactly what a RPO is. Its just up to the QB to read whether to hand it off or give it. Most of the time you are reading 1 defender and if he does this you do that and if he does that you do this. Its not nearly as complicated as what some people want to make it.

You can tell whats an RPO and whats not by looking at the QB's eyes

Our problem is that Fitz is mind 17’d and can’t read anything. I don’t know if it’s the ankle injury or a lack of understanding, but it’s terrible.

Really Clark?
10-22-2018, 07:01 PM
If you play man coverage (which is what you will get in the SEC esp against WRs you dont respect) RPOs can be taken out of the game.

Of course it wont matter if you have a war daddy at who you are tagging it to.

Moorhead should take all the tags off and tell Fitz hand the bitch off unless I tag it. We dont have enough talent at WR or chemistry built up to allow them to do some of their own thing like established passing teams do. That and Fitz probably has never ever ran an offense like this and is confused

Or a split man coverage is also good against.

RPO?s are not as new as people think but have gotten a lot more creative. Mike Price?s offense was basically RPO heavy concepts but was pre snap reads 1 back sets mainly. Joe Tiller and Drew Brees ran it at Purdue. Heck we?ve been running RPO concepts under Mullen. Malzhan runs them, etc. The differences in all of them are varied. How much is it the foundation of your system? How much is pre-snap reads and post snap? Creativity of the sets, personnel, routed, options. One of the biggest things is if you are very heavy RPO and post snap dictates the majority of what you do, all 11 have to Read the same thing.

BuckyIsAB****
10-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Our problem is that Fitz is mind 17’d and can’t read anything. I don’t know if it’s the ankle injury or a lack of understanding, but it’s terrible.

Yep it is obvious he is confused. He needs a hard reset and KT deserves a chance. If anything playing KT will answer the biggest question we have, do we have a QB problem or a Moorhead problem

BuckyIsAB****
10-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Or a split man coverage is also good against.

RPO?s are not as new as people think but have gotten a lot more creative. Mike Price?s offense was basically RPO heavy concepts but was pre snap reads 1 back sets mainly. Joe Tiller and Drew Brees ran it at Purdue. Heck we?ve been running RPO concepts under Mullen. Malzhan runs them, etc. The differences in all of them are varied. How much is it the foundation of your system? How much is pre-snap reads and post snap? Creativity of the sets, personnel, routed, options. One of the biggest things is if you are very heavy RPO and post snap dictates the majority of what you do, all 11 have to Read the same thing.

Its usually on 2 guys that has to read it. The QB and the tagged WR/TE.

Mullen didnt run it much when he was here. Not like Moorhead does. Every single play can be thrown out of under Moorhead. Mullen was much more controlling. If he wanted the back to get it he got it regardless of what the numbers looked like on the perimeter.

For example, for us we can throw it out to a BS WR if the numbers look good and the only 2 people that know will be the QB and the BS slot that is getting the ball. In essence its a RPO but it doesnt have a ''tag'' to it. Its just part of our offense. But that takes the WR knowing ''ok its run away from me so I have to bubble here'' and the outside WR knowing he has to block even if the ball is not thrown out to the WR inside of him.

But it all starts with the QB being able to comprehend it all, go out and count numbers, or read the defender over his tagged WR/TE. Fitz has never had to do anything like that before and is on the struggle bus with it

Commercecomet24
10-22-2018, 07:39 PM
Its usually on 2 guys that has to read it. The QB and the tagged WR/TE.

Mullen didnt run it much when he was here. Not like Moorhead does. Every single play can be thrown out of under Moorhead. Mullen was much more controlling. If he wanted the back to get it he got it regardless of what the numbers looked like on the perimeter.

For example, for us we can throw it out to a BS WR if the numbers look good and the only 2 people that know will be the QB and the BS slot that is getting the ball. In essence its a RPO but it doesnt have a ''tag'' to it. Its just part of our offense. But that takes the WR knowing ''ok its run away from me so I have to bubble here'' and the outside WR knowing he has to block even if the ball is not thrown out to the WR inside of him.

But it all starts with the QB being able to comprehend it all, go out and count numbers, or read the defender over his tagged WR/TE. Fitz has never had to do anything like that before and is on the struggle bus with it

Really strong post. Great insights.

Randolph Dupree
10-22-2018, 08:33 PM
RPO, read option, air raid...blah blah. I hear Wesley McGriff's cousin has an offense that beats all defenses, we need to fire JoMo and get that guy***

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 09:20 PM
RPO, read option, air raid...blah blah. I hear Wesley McGriff's cousin has an offense that beats all defenses, we need to fire JoMo and get that guy***

Wesley McGriff must have designed that offensive scheme for his cousin. LOL