PDA

View Full Version : Fall baseball? Any local posters go to games?

TStationDawg
10-22-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm dying for updates for people who were there! Sounds like Ginn is legit on the mound- waiting to come around at the plate- fair? Rowdey looked to be crushing it which is good to hear. How did Plumlee look? Is Omaha realistic for the upcoming year? Any updates are appreciated!!!

Choctaw Dawg
10-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Plumlee will have A 4+ ERA this year, nothing impressive at all about him

Omaha is very realistic based on talent, I'm still holding out on whether coaches 17 this up like football. will just have to wait and see.

TNDawg35
10-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Haven’t you heard. We canceled baseball season cause Cohen didn’t hire Joe Torre.

Pedrioa is King
10-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Talent wise this team is better than last year. We will win enough and have good enough RPI to host regional. It’s all about momentum in postseason...

Commercecomet24
10-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Don't worry to much about the baseball staff. We have one of the best hitting coaches in the country, one of the best pitching coaches in the country and a head coach who, I understand is smart enough to get out of their way and let them do their jobs. Lemonis is also doing well with our recruits. And Jake is a dang good recruiter as well.

basedog
10-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Don't worry to much about the baseball staff. We have one of the best hitting coaches in the country, one of the best pitching coaches in the country and a head coach who, I understand is smart enough to get out of their way and let them do their jobs. Lemonis is also doing well with our recruits. And Jake is a dang good recruiter as well.

Yes on recruits loving this staff! I will spill some beans in saying I have a grandson who is committed, he is young and he says this staff is really good. Lastly, he is showing out in all the "travel ball", has a chance to be very successful.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Yes on recruits loving this staff! I will spill some beans in saying I have a grandson who is committed, he is young and he says this staff is really good. Lastly, he is showing out in all the "travel ball", has a chance to be very successful.

Congrats basedog! I know you are proud. Let's hope Commerce's kid can join him in a couple of years.

People need to pay attention to what y'all are saying. While Cohen did slip with the whole "HOF coach, multiple trips to Omaha" shtick - I think Lemonis is a sneaky good hire. If there is one thing I trust Cohen on, it is an eye for talented baseball coaches. Just look at his assistants over the years and what they are doing now - Lane, Butch, Nick. Tyler Bratton is doing well on the softball side. He took a risk on Cann - but it was for the right reasons. Cann blew that deal. And, he was willing to do the unpopular thing for the long term health of the program in not bringing Gary Henderson back - which had to be one of the toughest decisions anyone has had to make in our Athletic Department in years.

basedog
10-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Congrats basedog! I know you are proud. Let's hope Commerce's kid can join him in a couple of years.

People need to pay attention to what y'all are saying. While Cohen did slip with the whole "HOF coach, multiple trips to Omaha" shtick - I think Lemonis is a sneaky good hire. If there is one thing I trust Cohen on, it is an eye for talented baseball coaches. Just look at his assistants over the years and what they are doing now - Lane, Butch, Nick. Tyler Bratton is doing well on the softball side. He took a risk on Cann - but it was for the right reasons. Cann blew that deal. And, he was willing to do the unpopular thing for the long term health of the program in not bringing Gary Henderson back - which had to be one of the toughest decisions anyone has had to make in our Athletic Department in years.

Actually my grandson isn't a senior, he just competed with 19 years old in Florida, he was the youngest to compete. Like I said, this staff is recruiting very well and is well liked. My Grandson has competing a vey high level from the summer to now. Enough from me, this board can be brutal especially on young athletes, most never played and don't have a clue what is going on, just BS talk. I've held back a lot information or some as I'm gonna protect my grandson. Good kid who loves Msu, I've encouraged him to take his visits but he says he knows where he wants to go to school. Like I said he has a chance to very successful at a high level. Amazes me.

TNDawg35
10-23-2018, 08:16 AM
I think Lemonis is gonna suprise a lot of people. He has one of the most talented rosters ever at State and looks to be recruiting very well. People forget, he was one of the main guys who built the Louisville runs with McDonald.

Yes, Cohen should have kept his mouth shut and not said the CWS stuff for a coach, but so what. Get over it and give Lemonis a chance to win. Some people have already wrote him off...

Commercecomet24
10-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Actually my grandson isn't a senior, he just competed with 19 years old in Florida, he was the youngest to compete. Like I said, this staff is recruiting very well and is well liked. My Grandson has competing a vey high level from the summer to now. Enough from me, this board can be brutal especially on young athletes, most never played and don't have a clue what is going on, just BS talk. I've held back a lot information or some as I'm gonna protect my grandson. Good kid who loves Msu, I've encouraged him to take his visits but he says he knows where he wants to go to school. Like I said he has a chance to very successful at a high level. Amazes me.

Congrats, man! That's awesome! I know you're proud! I agree 100% on everything you just said, it is completely accurate!

TStationDawg
10-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone! Good feedback! Basedog, good luck to your grandson! Its always fun watching the up and comers reach their full potential! I just read an article on BBAmerica the other day talking about the MLB pro production out of MS per capita- came in at #4. Hopefully your grandson and Commerce's kids are part of that trend!

I 100% agree with the comments about Lemonis. I think he's EXACTLY the "type" Cohen targeted which was a CEO for the program, and not a micro-manager like he was. He can recruit his tail off- that's proven. When I see the progress on the new Dude daily (can't wait for the statues out front) I FINALLY feel like we can make that final leap. Watching our 2013 team progress like they have to the bigs, its evident how CLOSE we were to winning it all! We had the overall talent. But I feel like this staff can one up that teams staff in that regard. I also believe this team has a chance to be sneaky good at the end of the year which is all that matters! Can't wait for spring!!!

Pit Bull
10-23-2018, 05:59 PM
I noticed several D1 teams are playing fall scrimmage series with other D1 and JUCO teams. I think KState or Nebraska played a series at Vandy just recently and KState played some JUCO team out there in a couple games. I wonder if we have anybody set up to play a series against besides ourselves. Would be cool if we could play a 3 game set with Delta State. I dont think fans are allowed in though from what I can tell.

TNDawg35
10-23-2018, 07:04 PM
I noticed several D1 teams are playing fall scrimmage series with other D1 and JUCO teams. I think KState or Nebraska played a series at Vandy just recently and KState played some JUCO team out there in a couple games. I wonder if we have anybody set up to play a series against besides ourselves. Would be cool if we could play a 3 game set with Delta State. I dont think fans are allowed in though from what I can tell.

I thought we played a 3 game series against Jackson State?

Coursesuper
10-23-2018, 08:10 PM
I thought we played a 3 game series against Jackson State?

Jacksonville State, the two really couldn't be any different.

Homedawg
10-23-2018, 08:29 PM
I think Lemonis is gonna suprise a lot of people. He has one of the most talented rosters ever at State and looks to be recruiting very well. People forget, he was one of the main guys who built the Louisville runs with McDonald.

Yes, Cohen should have kept his mouth shut and not said the CWS stuff for a coach, but so what. Get over it and give Lemonis a chance to win. Some people have already wrote him off...

Lets cool the jets on one of the most talented rosters ever. Not even close.

Pit Bull
10-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Jacksonville State, the two really couldn't be any different.

That's good, glad to hear we did.

Todd4State
10-24-2018, 12:13 AM
Thanks everyone! Good feedback! Basedog, good luck to your grandson! Its always fun watching the up and comers reach their full potential! I just read an article on BBAmerica the other day talking about the MLB pro production out of MS per capita- came in at #4. Hopefully your grandson and Commerce's kids are part of that trend!

I 100% agree with the comments about Lemonis. I think he's EXACTLY the "type" Cohen targeted which was a CEO for the program, and not a micro-manager like he was. He can recruit his tail off- that's proven. When I see the progress on the new Dude daily (can't wait for the statues out front) I FINALLY feel like we can make that final leap. Watching our 2013 team progress like they have to the bigs, its evident how CLOSE we were to winning it all! We had the overall talent. But I feel like this staff can one up that teams staff in that regard. I also believe this team has a chance to be sneaky good at the end of the year which is all that matters! Can't wait for spring!!!

I think we're getting close too. Our last three seasons: 1 SEC Title, 3 SR appearances, 1 National Seed, and 1 Omaha appearance. And that's with a lot of instability. This year we have a young but also veteran team- we have a good chance to make a SR for the fourth year in a row and I think we have a good chance of hosting now that our stadium is almost done and will be done by June.

The best way to win a National Title is to keep going to Omaha every 2-3 years or so rather than once every 5 years. Of course going to Omaha once every five is nothing to be ashamed of either.

Todd4State
10-24-2018, 12:14 AM
That's good, glad to hear we did.

This is the first year for playing scrimmage games in the fall. Going forward we probably will see some spring scrimmage games at Dudy-Noble.

The Federalist Engineer
10-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Congrats Commerce-thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Plumlee is a great midweek guy and can get us outs on the weekend. He would be overmatched as a starter or long reliever in the SEC. people might be forgetting that the Plum was the default healthy guy in 2017. That was the post-TJ team. We also had Cyr and Barton lose their heads.

In 2017, his overall era was 4, but it was 5 in the SEC. outside the conference he is a 2.00 ERA guy. In the conference he gave up 9 of 16 runs to Arkansas and LSU in about 4 innings of work. Those were marquee teams in 2017 with LSU the national runner up.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-24-2018, 06:30 AM
As usual, pitching is the biggest question mark...should be good with the bats, MIF a little shaky from a defensive standpoint...Ginn is the real deal.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Hearing the Canadian kid is a top of the draft talent and the best freshmen on the team. Told if Ginn and Canadian perform on the weekend, we could have the most "talented" weekend rotation in the conference

Also hearing we don't have a SS. Which what I've been saying.

AlSwearengen
10-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Hearing the Canadian kid is a top of the draft talent and the best freshmen on the team. Told if Ginn and Canadian perform on the weekend, we could have the most "talented" weekend rotation in the conference

Also hearing we don't have a SS. Which what I've been saying.

Shotgun or Todd or Commerce or any of you other guys that get a lot of info, what are you hearing about Cerantola? The only thing that I’ve seen is that in one particular scrimmage he was sitting consistently at 93/94. I also seem to remember it mentioned that he doesn’t have the command that it takes yet. Whereas, J.T. Is very polished for a freshman and is pretty close to being ready for the fire.

Back to Cerantola, if anyone knows, what pitches does he throw and how good are they? I know coming out of high school and discussions of the draft, it sounded very similar to how Zac Houston was described. The body and arm to be a 1st rounder but very raw.

Let’s hope for fast progression.

Homedawg
10-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Shotgun or Todd or Commerce or any of you other guys that get a lot of info, what are you hearing about Cerantola? The only thing that I’ve seen is that in one particular scrimmage he was sitting consistently at 93/94. I also seem to remember it mentioned that he doesn’t have the command that it takes yet. Whereas, J.T. Is very polished for a freshman and is pretty close to being ready for the fire.

Back to Cerantola, if anyone knows, what pitches does he throw and how good are they? I know coming out of high school and discussions of the draft, it sounded very similar to how Zac Houston was described. The body and arm to be a 1st rounder but very raw.

He had command issues throughout the fall. But his stuff was legit. Work in progress. Course he wasn't the only guy we had w command issues either.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2018, 05:22 PM

I heard up to 97 with a well above average slider

Commercecomet24
10-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Cerantola has filthy stuff, needs to harness a little bit more.

Todd4State
10-24-2018, 09:07 PM

My thought on the rotation is the same- Small, Keegan, and Ginn. I really like Cerentola a lot though and I think people forgot about him with all the Carter Stewart stuff. But Cerentola was a top 200 draft prospect per MLB.com and he played on the Canadian National Team and he was drafted by the Rays I think. I think he could be the midweek guy and then I think he steps into the weekend rotation next year.

So next year we're going to have a Friday night guy from Team USA and a Saturday guy from Team Canada. All we need now is someone from Mexico.