PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt on Bo Bounds

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Go take a listen to Matt today. Pretty insightful.

Dawgs31
10-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Cliff notes?

Dawgfan77
10-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Basically I?m not going to say anything to negative cause I work for the university but this offense isn?t working with Fitz or against the sec. also like we all have said. Needs to get the ball in hill and Williams hand

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Cliff notes:

Matt basically ran down how no one knows what they are doing & there is massive confusion between the WRs & QB. Hence Mitchell running a route directly into the official on the first INT.

Two thoughts:

1. Moorhead overestimated the football IQ & cognitive ability of this team. He's implemented this offense at other places in the Northeast & not had the same confusion in year 1. That has nothing to do with SEC defenses.

2. It should get better the longer the guys are in the system. Better see massive improvement next year or he needs to go.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Moorhead is not an SEC coach. You can keep defending this garbage but it's not going to improve.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 08:36 AM
Matt seeing what I saw when I rewatched LSU twice & FL 3 times. Fitz taking all the heat tho. One thing that jumped out at me too that people don't see .. 2 WRs in same vicinity quite often. I've seen that a few times and people thinking Fitz is "missing". Fitz is trying to keep pass from being picked when that happens and he's about to eat it otherwise.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Cliff notes:

Matt basically ran down how no one knows what they are doing & there is massive confusion between the WRs & QB. Hence Mitchell running a route directly into the official on the first INT.

Two thoughts:

1. Moorhead overestimated the football IQ & cognitive ability of this team. He's implemented this offense at other places in the Northeast & not had the same confusion in year 1. That has nothing to do with SEC defenses.

2. It should get better the longer the guys are in the system. Better see massive improvement next year or he needs to go.

Just like Croom said in 2004...

BeastMan
10-22-2018, 08:48 AM
In the most diplomatic way possible he suggested playing KT making reference of how he came off the bench his senior year and gave a spark

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 08:49 AM
You have to make a change at QB, but it's not going to matter. The real problems are still going to be there- shitalicious coaching.

RiverCityDawg
10-22-2018, 08:51 AM

True, but Moorhead at least has a history of implementing a successful offense at multiple stops before, unlike Croon. It's entirely possible he could do it again with the right personnel. (Yes, he's blown it this year. Yes, he is misusing players now. Yes, he isn't tailoring the offense to this team, which is a mistake. Etc).

louisvilledawg
10-22-2018, 08:54 AM
True, but Moorhead at least has a history of implementing a successful offense at multiple stops before, unlike Croon. It's entirely possible he could do it again with the right personnel. (Yes, he's blown it this year. Yes, he is misusing players now. Yes, he isn't tailoring the offense to this team, which is a mistake. Etc).

May be his offense just looked so great because he had an all world RB, a great TE, NFL WRs and NFL Caliber QB.

NWADAWG
10-22-2018, 09:16 AM
There were several times that I saw receivers wide open but Fitz through to a different receiver with tight or double coverage. At least one of those were a likely touchdown if open receiver gets it. A change in QB may not fix everything but it would matter.

I would like to see this offense run with a QB that can make reasonably quick reads and hit open receivers. He doesn't need to make the miracle throws just the throws you expect from an average college QB. Then we could see if the offense can work in the SEC. It may still crash and burn but right now we don't know. Right now there are too many variables that suck to know which variable has the greatest influence.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 09:22 AM

But Moorhead has track record.

The results are similar but the resume and track records aren't similar.

Again, you can choose to look at this intelligently or like a meat head

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 09:23 AM
May be his offense just looked so great because he had an all world RB, a great TE, NFL WRs and NFL Caliber QB.

Nah.

testuser
10-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Many here (not me) have been saying how much TALENT we have on the offensive side of the ball. I never saw it.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Nah.

So Gun, those had nuthin to do with the execution against OSU??? Go watch the last TD catch by WR in 2017 game. C'mon mane!

Matty Dispatch
10-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Two thoughts:

I think you could be right here. I'm not sure we are going to be able to find the time if guys he wants to run his system from an intelligence standpoint. Not that it's so difficult, but he's obsessive about "attention to detail" and "precision". That's not really the SEC way - it's more about strength and toughness than finesse and out-smarting folks. He's probably excel at Vandy, but not sure if MSU is going to work. We'll see.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 09:32 AM
I think you could be right here. I'm not sure we are going to be able to find the time if guys he wants to run his system from an intelligence standpoint. Not that it's so difficult, but he's obsessive about "attention to detail" and "precision". That's not really the SEC way - it's more about strength and toughness than finesse and out-smarting folks. He's probably excel at Vandy, but not sure if MSU is going to work. We'll see.

Mullen's offense ran precisely at times. Saban's & Smart's do too. Precision is necessary for good offenses to click.

testuser
10-22-2018, 09:34 AM
I seem to remember many said Mullen's offense was too difficult for RBs to figure out and that is why many didn't play early. So JoMo offense so difficult nobody knows what they are doing? Not buying it.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 09:39 AM
I seem to remember many said Mullen's offense was too difficult for RBs to figure out and that is why many didn't play early. So JoMo offense so difficult nobody knows what they are doing? Not buying it.

My belief ... Go watch ULL. We looked precise there. But our scout team is as good or better than ULL. But when you do have somewhat complex concepts which are quite different in philosophy from what you've been doing for 4 years, there is an adjustment period. Add in the fact that practices are soft and not at game speed against the defensive 1s very often if at all, and when we show up and game speed is there, stuff starts breaking down under pressure.

Really Clark?
10-22-2018, 09:41 AM

I don’t think anybody said Mullen’s offense was too difficult for RB’s. Many said that he (and Knox was this way about his personnel as well) wanted RB’s who also knew the blocking schemes and could protect the ball. That was a bigger point of emphasis with the previous staff.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 09:43 AM
My belief ... Go watch ULL. We looked precise there. But our scout team is as good or better than ULL. But when you do have somewhat complex concepts which are quite different in philosophy from what you've been doing for 4 years, there is an adjustment period. Add in the fact that practices are soft and not at game speed against the defensive 1s very often if at all, and when we show up and game speed is there, stuff starts breaking down under pressure.

So what you're saying is all we need to do is get a decided advantage in talent, and this system works. Cool, shouldn't be a problem in the west

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 09:45 AM
So what you're saying is all we need to do is get a decided advantage in talent, and this system works. Cool, shouldn't be a problem in the west

Especially when you Country Clubbing practices ... there I said it!

Matty Dispatch
10-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Mullen's offense ran precisely at times. Saban's & Smart's do too. Precision is necessary for good offenses to click.

Yeah, I get it. But Mullen always talking about "relentless effort" and "straining". It was all about trying hard physically and with Moorhead he seems to focus on the mental aspect of the game in preparation. Just maybe Moorhead is moving too fast for our players, and not aware of the kind of intellect the Mississippi football player has.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 09:57 AM
So Gun, those had nuthin to do with the execution against OSU??? Go watch the last TD catch by WR in 2017 game. C'mon mane!

Of course great players make things easier but when WRs are running the wrong routes & it takes the QB a year to go through his reads, there are larger issues.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I get it. But Mullen always talking about "relentless effort" and "straining". It was all about trying hard physically and with Moorhead he seems to focus on the mental aspect of the game in preparation. Just maybe Moorhead is moving too fast for our players, and not aware of the kind of intellect the Mississippi football player has.

You guys that continue to belittle the players' IQ are silly as hell. These guys aren't stupid. And as far as preparation, this is the most poorly prepared team at MSU in a long as I can remember. Maybe back to Felker.

Really Clark?

And the players who are not from MS, like all of our QB’s? Some of our WR’s, OL, and TE’s are not from MS either. Maybe it’s too complicated for southern players in general then and we have to recruit completely away from the south. Sorry but there are a ton of football players who are not “smart” but learn and run sofisticated offenses all over college and the NFL. It’s how you teach the concepts and break it down to what they can digest and execute. Some schemes are harder and take longer but that’s why you tailor what the players can execute effectively within your scheme.

ShotgunDawg

Good points.

He gets to recruit his QBs though & Shrader is a good start. Also, even dumber players should be able to grasp the system after running it for a year or so.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Of course great players make things easier but when WRs are running the wrong routes & it takes the QB a year to go through his reads, there are larger issues.

So we pinning all the blame on the players. Maybe the coaches aren't coaching it well enough. They learned under Mullen. Dak said his nfl transition was so easy bc Mullen's system was very similar to the cowboys. Mullen wasn't running a HS offense

Matty Dispatch
10-22-2018, 10:05 AM
And the players who are not from MS, like all of our QB’s? Some of our WR’s, OL, and TE’s are not from MS either. Maybe it’s too complicated for southern players in general then and we have to recruit completely away from the south. Sorry but there are a ton of football players who are not “smart” but learn and run sofisticated offenses all over college and the NFL. It’s how you teach the concepts and break it down to what they can digest and execute. Some schemes are harder and take longer but that’s why you tailor what the players can execute effectively within your scheme.

That's why I said maybe he's moving too fast. Maybe he's not making sure they understand the concepts because previously he went at this speed and everything worked out. It's not that they can't learn the system, but maybe they are just lost right now and that's on the coach for not making sure they understand it.

Really Clark?
10-22-2018, 10:16 AM
That's why I said maybe he's moving too fast. Maybe he's not making sure they understand the concepts because previously he went at this speed and everything worked out. It's not that they can't learn the system, but maybe they are just lost right now and that's on the coach for not making sure they understand it.

I can agree with that mostly. But 7 games into the season we should not still be lost offensively like we showed Sat. QB threw bad, don’t get me wrong but there is a whole lot of wrong offensively with multiple players and every game besides Auburn is struggling with identity, cohesiveness, rythem, execution, scheme and adjustments. And honestly even Auburn had multiple moments that struggled. But why not build off of that plan for the last 2 weeks and keep adjusting from that point? The most simplistic call executed well is better than the perfect play call executed poorly. What SEC game did we execute the best in? Why change so much from that? Even if LSU stopped it you have something of an identity from that, we hit them with something different for a FG but why not use a RB motion for at least one play in the red zone?

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 10:22 AM
All those new wrinkles we worked on last two weeks- QB Draw and QB Power. Freaking genius I tell you!!! Shades of Rocky Felker but with the QB. I gave Moorhead half the season so to show some kind of improvement. I mean, everybody said it took 4 or 5 games at Penn State to improve. I think it's getting worse. Aside from AU, I know it's been worse.
We had 2 weeks to prepare for LSU and we did what? And we've got Matt Wyatt telling us the whole offense is dysfunctional but so many just want to blame our QB.

BB30
10-22-2018, 10:50 AM
There were several times that I saw receivers wide open but Fitz through to a different receiver with tight or double coverage. At least one of those were a likely touchdown if open receiver gets it. A change in QB may not fix everything but it would matter.

I would like to see this offense run with a QB that can make reasonably quick reads and hit open receivers. He doesn't need to make the miracle throws just the throws you expect from an average college QB. Then we could see if the offense can work in the SEC. It may still crash and burn but right now we don't know. Right now there are too many variables that suck to know which variable has the greatest influence.

I agree. I know Tua is a freak but I watched his highlights from this season up to this point. The dude gets through his progressions so quick. It looks like Tua is throwing to wide open guys, which he is but alot of those guys were his 2nd or 3rd option sometimes the 4th.

We have guys getting open, Fitz just does a terrible job of seeing the defense and getting through progressions. He sometimes makes it to his second option but most of the time it seems like he is making his decision on where the ball is going to go pre snap and just doesn't adjust at all to what the defense does post snap.

Percho
10-22-2018, 10:51 AM
You guys that continue to belittle the players' IQ are silly as hell. These guys aren't stupid. And as far as preparation, this is the most poorly prepared team at MSU in a long as I can remember. Maybe back to Felker.

Thank you. People need to, think, just a little, before they type.

MetEdDawg
10-22-2018, 10:52 AM

This. People are like Moorhead sucks, he's not that smart. Do some of us really think that everything everyone does should instantly work for us? His background is UCONN, Fordham, and Penn State. If you put UCONN, Fordham, Penn State, and MSU in the same sentence, we are most assuredly the outlier. Even though Fordham is the lower division school, it's a private institution with a crap ton of smart kids, including the football team. So I'm going to use my brain and say hey, Moorhead has literally been successful EVERY other place he's been and choose not to be a homer and think we are somehow the same.

Go look at the makeup of his previous teams and tell me there isn't a big difference. We have a different type of player and it's going to take time to make it right. What will really tell me what's happening is how our recruiting class finishes. If we finish Top 25 in recruiting this year and go 7-5, that should tell you all you need to know because we will have massively missed expectations and been a major disappointment. But hopefully our fan base realizes that our team makeup is different than the team makeup Moorhead has had before. And yes this offense places a lot on the QB, and our QB doesn't know how to handle that. He ran a triple option one year in high school, and ran a very run heavy, one read offense under Mullen. That's not what we are running and that's not what Moorhead has developed.

Really Clark?
10-22-2018, 10:58 AM
This. People are like Moorhead sucks, he's not that smart. Do some of us really think that everything everyone does should instantly work for us? His background is UCONN, Fordham, and Penn State. If you put UCONN, Fordham, Penn State, and MSU in the same sentence, we are most assuredly the outlier. Even though Fordham is the lower division school, it's a private institution with a crap ton of smart kids, including the football team. So I'm going to use my brain and say hey, Moorhead has literally been successful EVERY other place he's been and choose not to be a homer and think we are somehow the same.

Go look at the makeup of his previous teams and tell me there isn't a big difference. We have a different type of player and it's going to take time to make it right. What will really tell me what's happening is how our recruiting class finishes. If we finish Top 25 in recruiting this year and go 7-5, that should tell you all you need to know because we will have massively missed expectations and been a major disappointment. But hopefully our fan base realizes that our team makeup is different than the team makeup Moorhead has had before. And yes this offense places a lot on the QB, and our QB doesn't know how to handle that. He ran a triple option one year in high school, and ran a very run heavy, one read offense under Mullen. That's not what we are running and that's not what Moorhead has developed.

Uh...where are you getting we ran a one read passing offense under Mullen? That’s not true.

WinningIsRelentless
10-22-2018, 12:17 PM

How do you know they are running the wrong route? I mean JoMo has said that the WR have option routes to run based on the coverage the d is in. What if d-cord have figured out the route tree (since we are in the sec and every team has at least two analyst on each side of the ball now) and developed coverage packages to force the routes?

It is JoMo 3rd season is major college football and enough film now to do all of this.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 12:25 PM
I just have to laugh at the people thinking Dan Mullen ran some kind of illiterate level offense. The man won a national championship calling offenses. His team that couldn't win shit last year is rolling this year with that dumbass offense and he doesn't have "his QB". He certainly coached circles around our OC.
Dan Mullen ran some of the best practices I've ever seen. Yeah, they'd cuss you like a dog, but he expected perfection. He ripped coaches on the staff when shit wasn't handled. We damn sure aren't getting that now.

Dawgfan77
10-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Look I know your a joe defender but technically speaking he is worse than croom with more talent. Think about that. Also that vaulted offense averaged 280 yds against OSU in two years. And while you bring up UCONN, well that vaulted offense has 335 yds in the 11 fiesta bowl agianst Oklahoma. Let?s face it we made a bad hire and you can say all you want about time to get his players but it won?t matter he is a below average coach

DCdawg
10-22-2018, 01:45 PM
I'm no football savant, but Fitz running this offense looks like someone trying to drink from a fire hydrant. If he isn't able to learn the playbook, then you either move to another option at QB or you dumb down the offense and remove all freedom from him to change a play. At the end of the day it's on the coaching staff to either make necessary changes to scheme or personnel.

WinningIsRelentless
10-22-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm no football savant, but Fitz running this offense looks like someone trying to drink from a fire hydrant. If he isn't able to learn the playbook, then you either move to another option at QB or you dumb down the offense and remove all freedom from him to change a play. At the end of the day it's on the coaching staff to either make necessary changes to scheme or personnel.

He doesn?t change the play, that?s Moorehead.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 01:55 PM

I get the impression that Joe's offense is designed to run wide open. There is no dumbing down. If it's not running wide open it doesn't work. It's like taking a wheel off a Formula One car and then telling the driver to go race it.

DCdawg
10-22-2018, 01:59 PM
I realize getting the play calls in with 5 seconds to spare is Moorhead. But Moorhead's offensive philosophy is supposed to be a read for the QB to be able to make a decision - one which Fitz seemingly isn't making well. That's why I'm saying Fitz shouldn't be given an option. The RPO needs to become a called run or pass.

DCdawg
10-22-2018, 02:00 PM
I get the impression that Joe's offense is designed to run wide open. There is no dumbing down. If it's not running wide open it doesn't work. It's like taking a wheel off a Formula One car and then telling the driver to go race it.

If that's the case it sounds like a change in QB is the only option.

fishwater99
10-22-2018, 02:08 PM
If that's the case it sounds like a change in QB is the only option.

Problem is we don't have that QB in SVegas.

DCdawg
10-22-2018, 02:18 PM

That might be true, but we will never know for sure if nobody else has the chance.

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 02:24 PM

4 QBs and not a damn one of them has a clue how to run Joe's offense or at the very least can pass a catchable ball over twenty yards.

But that's on Mullen recruiting his Tebow clones.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Everything is the QBs fault. Except when it's Mullen's fault. LOL

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Everything is the QBs fault. Except when it's Mullen's fault. LOL

Dak's the only Tebow clone that has worked out for Mullen. Tyler Russell could pass like sum bitch but he ran like a giraffe with diarrhea.

But really, 4 QBs and the best one has no clue what he's doing in this offense. So it appears we have Radio, Forrest Gump, Simple Jack and Corky all playing QB. No, something else is going on.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Dak's the only Tebow clone that has worked out for Mullen. Tyler Russell could pass like sum bitch but he ran like a giraffe with diarrhea.

But really, 4 QBs and the best one has no clue what he's doing in this offense. So it appears we have Radio, Forrest Gump, Simple Jack and Corky all playing QB. No, something else is going on.

Call the players stupid. Nice. Nothing is on Moorhead... Curious though, why did Moorhead say no one had picked his offense up this quick preseason?

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Call the players stupid. Nice. Nothing is on Moorhead... Curious though, why did Moorhead say no one had picked his offense up this quick preseason?

No, I'm not calling them stupid!!!

Did you not read this: No, something else must be going on.

Damn, 7.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 03:09 PM
No, I'm not calling them stupid!!!

Did you not read this: No, something else must be going on.

Damn, 7.

To be fair, I'm seeing nothing but red since the Kentucky game haha

TrapGame
10-22-2018, 03:13 PM
To be fair, I'm seeing nothing but red since the Kentucky game haha

I can relate. I'm just happy as hell the Saints are winning right now.

I just can't believe we don't have one QB on the roster that kind of gets the offense and can throw a catchable ball 20 yards. This why I think Joe is going all in with Schrader next year. It will be ride or die.

lastmajordog
10-22-2018, 05:56 PM
I just remember watching Freeze?s first year team against Bama.....Yeh Bama beat them 2 td?s but OM got after their butt and the older Kim brother really showed out. Point being he took a weak team (before the money train got really going) and had a competitive team...think they also whipped ******* behind (Can?t remember if he was searching for a job yet)......I really like JM......it?s just such a shame.....

MetEdDawg
10-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Look I know your a joe defender but technically speaking he is worse than croom with more talent. Think about that. Also that vaulted offense averaged 280 yds against OSU in two years. And while you bring up UCONN, well that vaulted offense has 335 yds in the 11 fiesta bowl agianst Oklahoma. Let?s face it we made a bad hire and you can say all you want about time to get his players but it won?t matter he is a below average coach

It's vaunted. Additionally, you used literally 3 data points out of over 100 and call that point proven? Forgive me if I don't call that game over.

His offense isn't being implemented right now. We at least can agree with that. So why judge the man based on something he can't do?

Really Clark?
10-22-2018, 06:11 PM
I just remember watching Freeze?s first year team against Bama.....Yeh Bama beat them 2 td?s but OM got after their butt and the older Kim brother really showed out. Point being he took a weak team (before the money train got really going) and had a competitive team...think they also whipped ******* behind (Can?t remember if he was searching for a job yet)......I really like JM......it?s just such a shame.....

Bama beat Freeze by 3 TD’s his first year 33-14

99jc
10-22-2018, 07:50 PM

His track record is Fordham not penn State he is head coaching in the hardest division in college football the SEC West. He is an idiot and your the same if you really believe he is an SEC coach.

Bully13
10-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Saturday's cluster 17 needs to be un 17d.

TimberBeast
10-22-2018, 10:23 PM
I agree. I know Tua is a freak but I watched his highlights from this season up to this point. The dude gets through his progressions so quick. It looks like Tua is throwing to wide open guys, which he is but alot of those guys were his 2nd or 3rd option sometimes the 4th.

We have guys getting open, Fitz just does a terrible job of seeing the defense and getting through progressions. He sometimes makes it to his second option but most of the time it seems like he is making his decision on where the ball is going to go pre snap and just doesn't adjust at all to what the defense does post snap.

The comparison to Tua is absurd. The guy has a month to find which receiver is wide open. Fitz has about 1.5 seconds, he has no time. Our pass blocking is amazingly bad.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 10:45 PM
The comparison to Tua is absurd. The guy has a month to find which receiver is wide open. Fitz has about 1.5 seconds, he has no time. Our pass blocking is amazingly bad.

Good analogy. Not only that but his receivers are like a covey of quail when they burst off the line and they're open almost instantaneously. And they catch everything within 5 yards of them.

HoopsDawg
10-22-2018, 11:31 PM
His track record is Fordham not penn State he is head coaching in the hardest division in college football the SEC West. He is an idiot and your the same if you really believe he is an SEC coach.

Shotgun has lost his mind the last couple of days. It's painful to read.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Shotgun has lost his mind the last couple of days. It's painful to read.

LOL ... just the last "couple of days"? ***

I'm just glad Gun is here to help us all out. After all we just slightly smarter than our dumb as bricks football players ****

Dawgfan77
10-23-2018, 03:36 AM
It's vaunted. Additionally, you used literally 3 data points out of over 100 and call that point proven? Forgive me if I don't call that game over.

His offense isn't being implemented right now. We at least can agree with that. So why judge the man based on something he can't do?
I pulled those examples to show you and everyone that reads this that when his offense has gone up against SEC type talent (OSU and OU) it struggles. Saying all this to prove a point that this offense, the Joe Moorhead version will not work in the sec. it?s not gonna work with a new QB, and it?s not footing work with better WR talent. The reason. To much speed on the defense in the SEC

Really Clark?
10-23-2018, 06:32 AM
I pulled those examples to show you and everyone that reads this that when his offense has gone up against SEC type talent (OSU and OU) it struggles. Saying all this to prove a point that this offense, the Joe Moorhead version will not work in the sec. it?s not gonna work with a new QB, and it?s not footing work with better WR talent. The reason. To much speed on the defense in the SEC

They was not running this when he was at UConn so what they did vs a P5 Oklahoma in 1 game is moot. The offense was 13th and 10th in scoring vs ranked opponents the last 2 years putting up over 30 points per game. In 2016 that was against 4 Top 15 scoring defenses and USC in the bowl who was 38th nationally, they put up 49 points. The offense can work in the SEC and RPO have already proven to work in the SEC. HE doesn’t t look like will work because a ton of other issues but purely on scheme with correct personnel, it works and can work in the SEC.