PDA

View Full Version : Lemme ask you cats a question, Re: MSU/AU Coaching Situations....

TUSK
10-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Compare/contrast the mood/feelings of:

1) The "Joe must go crowd" on ED

vs

2) Regular peeps that may not do the message board thing but DO attend most MSU games and/or donate...

lastly, for those of you that consider yourselves quasi-informed of Aubies; do the same comp/con, if ya wanna....

Dawg61
10-21-2018, 11:22 PM
Auburn is just being stupid right now cause their pride is hurt. Ain't no way in hell they are asking to have $32 mill to fire a coach. It's just stupid pride blowharding cause they wanna feel like they are a top football program in the country. I'd always hate to be an Auburn fan but I'd especially hate to be one right now while Saban and Tua are playing perfect football. They just need to accept what they are. A middle of the pack SEC football program like the rest of us.

TUSK
10-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Auburn is just being stupid right now cause their pride is hurt. Ain't no way in hell they are asking to have $32 mill to fire a coach. It's just stupid pride blowharding cause they wanna feel like they are a top football program in the country. I'd always hate to be an Auburn fan but I'd especially hate to be one right now while Saban and Tua are playing perfect football. They just need to accept what they are. A middle of the pack SEC football program like the rest of us.

That's EXACTLY dead on nuts correct, 61... But those cats have been doing this same thing for a looooong time, buddy... Bammer being extree good will exacerbate it, as always, however... Those effers are nuts.

Todd4State
10-22-2018, 12:23 AM
I can't speak for the "non-message board" crowd- but against Florida there were boos and I suspect that some were from non-message board people.

I've always felt like message boards are a cross section of a fanbase and what they are thinking. For an AD- it's basically like looking at a review site of how your fans feel about your school. As long as there isn't a significant gap between the thoughts and opinions of age groups- like when Sixpack first started and broke away from Genespage about 15 years ago- it's probably a fairly accurate representation.

Auburn even though they are an Ag School- to me that act a lot more like Ole Miss. Cutthroat cheating for players. Little patience with their coaches. Frat boys that overdress on gameday. They're a good football program and would be THE football program in most states. But I do think that being in Alabama with Saban has fueled a lot of the crazy stuff that they do- which has led to them being inconsistent on the field. If they fired Mahlzahn I have no idea who they would get. Unless they make a home run hire after Mahlzahn and bring in the next Cam Newton next year I think they will be down for a year or two. I don't know if that answers your question but that's how I feel about Auburn in general.

TUSK
10-22-2018, 02:48 AM
I can't speak for the "non-message board" crowd- but against Florida there were boos and I suspect that some were from non-message board people.

I've always felt like message boards are a cross section of a fanbase and what they are thinking. For an AD- it's basically like looking at a review site of how your fans feel about your school. As long as there isn't a significant gap between the thoughts and opinions of age groups- like when Sixpack first started and broke away from Genespage about 15 years ago- it's probably a fairly accurate representation.

Auburn even though they are an Ag School- to me that act a lot more like Ole Miss. Cutthroat cheating for players. Little patience with their coaches. Frat boys that overdress on gameday. They're a good football program and would be THE football program in most states. But I do think that being in Alabama with Saban has fueled a lot of the crazy stuff that they do- which has led to them being inconsistent on the field. If they fired Mahlzahn I have no idea who they would get. Unless they make a home run hire after Mahlzahn and bring in the next Cam Newton next year I think they will be down for a year or two. I don't know if that answers your question but that's how I feel about Auburn in general.

I've not heard "GenesPage" uttered in quite some time... I got banned by him a time or two back in the day.

Your take is accurate, IMO...

msstate7
10-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Gus needs to quit trying to get pro style qbs. Really wish he'd actively recruit hurts. That would spice up the iron bowl, and really make gus' offense more dangerous. Sure it would hurt state, but we screwed anyway till we get a coach

Coursesuper
10-22-2018, 07:23 AM
The AU people I know ( all AU grads) were very upset Gus was given that stupid contract extension. Of course they aren't very happy at all now but they aren't shocked at the situation they are in. They understood what their offensive line situation was going to be.

I feel like state people are more in a state of shock, our expectations overinflated or not have been shattered. The sheer ineptitude of an offense that was more that efficient and now is completely putrid is why state people are more than disappointed.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 08:46 AM
I've never seen so much discord and general pissed offness by State fans in year one of a coaching tenure. I'd say its about 60% fire Joe right now. But, this is the first time we changed coaches and our program was in a great position. Thanks Cohen for taking us backwards with this bullshit hire!
AU fans are stupid. AU isn't AL. Never has and never will be. They're great every 3 years at best. And no way they blow $30+ million on a buyout. They should fire the president for allowing that kind of contract for a guy the fan base was pretty split on.

Johnson85
10-22-2018, 11:08 AM

vs

2) Regular peeps that may not do the message board thing but DO attend most MSU games and/or donate...

lastly, for those of you that consider yourselves quasi-informed of Aubies; do the same comp/con, if ya wanna....

There's probably not much of a difference between message board and non-message boarders as far as what percentage thinks we're 17ed with the Moorhead hire.

I suspect there is a big difference between message boarders and non-message boarders as far as the percentage of people that think we can fire Moorhead after this year, versus after next year, versus after year three, with non-message boarders being much more likely to think he has to have two or even three years before he can be fired (assuming nothing scandalous).

If I were going to put money on it, I'd bet he gets until year three. We'll win 7 games this year (maybe 8), and even with a drop off at talent, I think we'll probably get to 6 or maybe even 7 next year depending on whether Key can run the offense at all (ULL, USM, KSU, Abilene Christian, and then two of UK, UM, Ark), although our D won't keep it close in the losses like they will mostly do this year. That third year, either he will have made some improveemnts and take at least a small step forward or it will be clear(er) he doesn't have it and we'll cut our losses.

If Key looks like Fitz this year, then Moorhead might be gone next year after winning 4 or fewer games and going winless in the SEC.

Johnson85
10-22-2018, 11:09 AM
I've never seen so much discord and general pissed offness by State fans in year one of a coaching tenure. I'd say its about 60% fire Joe right now. But, this is the first time we changed coaches and our program was in a great position. Thanks Cohen for taking us backwards with this bullshit hire!
AU fans are stupid. AU isn't AL. Never has and never will be. They're great every 3 years at best. And no way they blow $30+ million on a buyout. They should fire the president for allowing that kind of contract for a guy the fan base was pretty split on.

I don't think anywhere near 60% really think we should fire Joe right now. I think more than 60% think we're going to have to fire him, but I think most people realize that we can't fire him after one year, even though he's done an atrocious job.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 11:19 AM
I don't think anywhere near 60% really think we should fire Joe right now. I think more than 60% think we're going to have to fire him, but I think most people realize that we can't fire him after one year, even though he's done an atrocious job.

Pretty much what I meant. They want him fired but know the situation doesn't allow it.

Coursesuper
10-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Pretty much what I meant. They want him fired but know the situation doesn't allow it.

No one in the AD administration will admit they have made a mistake here, their collective ego's will not allow it. Therefore this will be a three year deal and by that point it wont matter anymore. Then it will be a four year rebuild just to be respectable, and we wont challenge for conference anything that ship has sailed.

BB30
10-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Yea, I am starting to fall in this camp. it is painfully obvious our offensive guys are completely lost and it shouldn't be this bad. I was one of the few that expected some fairly significant growing pains going into the season but still expected to win 8-9 games and see improvement as the year progressed on offense.

I think if we were seeing some consistent improvement on the offensive side of the ball there certainly wouldn't be as much doom and gloom but they just aren't getting it and JOMO seems incapable of dumbing down our passing game enough to make it functional.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 11:45 AM
When we do look for another coach, I want one of the following...

A sun belt type of HC that has built up a program for a few years and has some experience with the sec.

A P5 offensive cood that has built a successful offense despite not having a talent advantage.

Pit Bull
10-22-2018, 12:23 PM
This message board is a very small part of the MSU fanbase. Most MSU fans I know dont do message boards and most have never even heard of EliteDawg. I had never heard of it until some dude promoting his coffee on Genespage mentioned it, so I looked it up. I would say most general fans are willing to give Moorhead 2, if not 3 years unless he totally falls on his face. Croom got 5 years and lost to Maine....if JoMo loses to Abilene Christian next year, he probably won't get 5 years.

turtlesnacks
10-22-2018, 06:38 PM
This message board is a very small part of the MSU fanbase. Most MSU fans I know dont do message boards and most have never even heard of EliteDawg. I had never heard of it until some dude promoting his coffee on Genespage mentioned it, so I looked it up. I would say most general fans are willing to give Moorhead 2, if not 3 years unless he totally falls on his face. Croom got 5 years and lost to Maine....if JoMo loses to Abilene Christian next year, he probably won't get 5 years.

i?m quickly learning that 99% of people here besides that bama fan and shotgun are batsh!t crazy and should never have any sort of sway with our athletic programs lest we want to fire every coach we get 30 minutes into the season because we aren?t steamrolling everyone like Mississippi State has NEVER been known to do.

BuckyIsAB****
10-22-2018, 07:19 PM
That's EXACTLY dead on nuts correct, 61... But those cats have been doing this same thing for a looooong time, buddy... Bammer being extree good will exacerbate it, as always, however... Those effers are nuts.

Auburn isnt as bad as they think they are. Compared to a lot of other teams they are damn good and probably still are a top 25 team. But they are playing in a league where most every team is a top 25 team.

You saw they beat Washington and they are considered to be ''good'' by the media. Auburn has no excuses to not be good so I understand the frustration. They are just struggling on the OL is their biggest problem and Stidham is not a malzahn QB.

I promise you Malzahn wishes he had Fitz and Moorhead wishes he had Stidham

TUSK
10-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Auburn isnt as bad as they think they are. Compared to a lot of other teams they are damn good and probably still are a top 25 team. But they are playing in a league where most every team is a top 25 team.

You saw they beat Washington and they are considered to be ''good'' by the media. Auburn has no excuses to not be good so I understand the frustration. They are just struggling on the OL is their biggest problem and Stidham is not a malzahn QB.

I promise you Malzahn wishes he had Fitz and Moorhead wishes he had Stidham

I'm down with that, Bucky... I think "dysfunctional" is prolly a better description than "out right sucks balls" with regard to them,,,

Apoplectic
10-22-2018, 08:23 PM

vs

there is no non-message board crowd. 20% post, 75% only read, less than 5% are not online