PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts - What This Offense Looks Like When Run Correctly

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Now that I've had time to digest this whole thing, I've got a few thoughts &, if you'd truly like to know the problem, please watch the below video. All the plays look the exact same but with a different person executing them.

I only have it in me to bitch & complain for so long before I attempt to try to look at things from an intelligent point of view & logically make sense of them.

Here are some thoughts to keep in mind before watching the video:

- Dan Mullen spoke Chinese & Moorhead speaks Spanish. Both are great languages, but you can't expect a group of people who have been learning Chinese to all of the sudden be able to pick up Spanish quickly, nor can you expect the Spanish teacher to teach Chinese quickly. Joe Moorhead can't run Dan Mullen's offense & Dan Mullen can't run Moorhead's offense. Both are from different coaching lineages & both are pretty far removed from the median of college offenses. That leads me to my second point.

- Joe Moorhead was an absolutely terrible hire to maximize the potential of the 2018 Mississippi State Bulldogs. We chose a Spanish guy to teach Spanish to a bunch of dudes that were fluent in Chinese. It is what is, but that doesn't mean that Joe Moorhead is a bad Spanish teacher or that Spanish is a bad language. Just means wrong guy at the wrong time. If you want to blame John Cohen for anything, this is the sweet spot. It's unintelligent to say that Joe Moorhead is a bad coach. It's very intelligent to say that Joe was the wrong guy to maximize the potential of this team. Perhaps a Chinese speaking coach would've been best. Perhaps someone with lineage to Meyer Zedong. It is what it is, but it doesn't make the Spanish speaking guy a shitty teacher. Just a bad fit at the time he came in.

- Now that we've established that foundation of thought, we've got to ask: how the 17 can we learn Spanish? Well, learning Spanish from the Spanish teacher requires one of two things & preferably both: A high IQ, high football IQ QB that can process information quickly &/or someone that has been speaking Spanish for a long time & has developed the Spanish football IQ to process defenses & information quickly. You see, we've got the double whammy of negative going on here. The old coach didn't prioritize football IQ, instincts, & ability to process information in his QB recruiting. He prioritized, with great effectiveness, toughness & athleticism, but the problem is that those qualities don't help you learn Spanish.

- In the below video is a high level Spanish speaker that learned to speak Spanish quickly because he has a high football IQ, processes information quickly, & has quicker feet with more efficient lateral quickness than Nick Zedong of China. What you see in the below video are the EXACT SAME PLAYS WE ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING, but with much greater processing speed, which allows him to get rid of the football extremely quick.

- This is not Nick Fitzgerald's fault & to some degree is not Joe Moorhead's fault since he is a Spanish dude that took over a team full of Chinese people. If you really want to blame someone, you have two choices: John Cohen of India who understood neither Spanish or Chinese well enough to make an educated decision about how both offenses worked & what would allow MSU to maximize it's potential in 2018 or you can blame Mullen Zedong who bailed on his SR Chinese speaking QB & basically destroyed his career by doing so. Either one is fair game.

- However, lastly, Spanish is a great language & can be spoken in the SEC very effectively when actual Spanish people or people that have lived in a Spanish speaking country for a while are playing. This offense works & will work. It's just gonna take time.

Just notice how much quicker this offense runs with a smart Spanish speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd41aJgRje4

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Go check McSorley's stats out this year. Big dropoff now that Barkley ain't there. Of course JoMo ain't either. Only 54% completions.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Go check McSorley's stats out this year. Big dropoff now that Barkley ain't there. Of course JoMo ain't either. Only 54% completions.

Look how much quicker he gets rid of the ball though. Enormous difference from what we are currently seeing.

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Won't argue. Fitz is very indecisive now. Key needs to be given a shot.

Austindawg
10-21-2018, 09:14 PM
This is actually one of the best posts about the offense I have seen. It is spot on. I am as disappointed as anyone with the results so far this year, but we have to see what Joe can do with someone that can run his offense. We may have to take a step back to move forward, it just sucks we had to take a step back with the talent on this team.

Dawgs31
10-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Chinese was never ever going to get us a championship. Spanish has the potential to do that.

Commercecomet24
10-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Good stuff, Gun. Thank you for posting. The decision making difference between nick and McSorley is painfully obvious. Joe was hired to run his offense and as you so well stated, he's trying to teach a different language to players who have only known one language. He didn't just all of a sudden become a terrible coach. That being said we gotta give Key a shot. I love nick but his confidence is shot, he holds the ball way to long and he's just not getting it done. We have to try someone different just to see what happens and for the future.

msstate7
10-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Chinese was never ever going to get us a championship. Spanish has the potential to do that.

You think? It didn't get penn state there, and they had the best rb talent I've seen in years, pro qb, pro te, and pro wr(s)

Cooterpoot
10-21-2018, 09:25 PM
His ?system? isn?t going to work at State. He?s not a good enough coach to adapt to the talent. The end.

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:26 PM
You think? It didn't get penn state there, and they had the best rb talent I've seen in years, pro qb, pro te, and pro wr(s)

With their recruiting profile, which is much better than ours, they really putting up average stats against OSU IMO. Doesn't bode well for a team with a recruiting profile in low 20's/high teens at best.

msstate7
10-21-2018, 09:28 PM
His “system” isn’t going to work at State. The end.

Hope springs eternal here. In in conference play, we are the worst offense in the country in scoring and 124th in total offense out of 127.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 09:28 PM
His ?system? isn?t going to work at State. He?s not a good enough coach to adapt to the talent. The end.

He will certainly have to recruit the right guy at QB to have a chance.

Other than that, I'm not sure what prevents it from working at MSU.

gravedigger
10-21-2018, 09:29 PM

Watch his reads based on where the safety and linebackers move at the snap. Also check out any overload blitz from one side. Always running room to the opposite and a lane to step up into to pass. McSorley makes quick decisions pass or run. Fitz makes up his mind pre snap.

McSorley also looks for outside 50/50 balls in man and dropping balls over linebackers in the middle when the safety is split.

Shotgun made a great point. It really is that simple. Fitz is a kid who is still trying to act as if he?s in Mullen?s system.

Cohen made a great hire and we will adapt soon enough with the right players.

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Well ... he might need some WRs, TEs, and RBs too. Not to mention Olinemen agile enough to keep SEC DEs/LBs from crushing the QB before he can make his read and throw it.

msstate7
10-21-2018, 09:30 PM
With their recruiting profile, which is much better than ours, they really putting up average stats against OSU IMO. Doesn't bode well for a team with a recruiting profile in low 20's/high teens at best.

Dude, we just a borderline 4* qb from running LSU, bama, Georgia, aTm, and auburn off the field. How could they possibly stop us once we learn Spanish?

Dawgs31
10-21-2018, 09:31 PM
We have Derrick Henry playing QB.

Ride or die with Shrader

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Dude, we just a borderline 4* qb from running LSU, bama, Georgia, aTm, and auburn off the field. How could they possibly stop us once we learn Spanish?

LMFAO!

ETA: Less than 300 yds of O with McSorley, Barkley, and those WRs who make plays 2 years in a row ain't making me feel warm, fuzzy, and sure as hell not wooley.

Matt3467
10-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Shotgun, this is the best post I've seen from you this weekend. It's easy to melt and point fingers, but after watching that video it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how comfortable McSorley was in that offense and how he progressed through his reads to make big time throws in big time games. The only similarity between Mullen and Moorhead is that they both run spread, but the comparison stops there. It's no wonder Mullen has great college QB's but once they progress to the NFL they have great difficulty adjusting because they have to think. Moorhead's offense requires his QB to think and Fitz is an "old" college QB set in the Mullen way and doesn't know how to (of course missing spring doesn't help). I hate it for Fitz but Mullen ruined his career by leaving. Fitz isn't the QB for this team now. I'm not sure if we have one on the roster right now that is honestly and that's not to say that Key or Mayden can't be that guy since they're both young and can be taught, but Fitz already has one foot out the door.

Another thing that stood out is the playmaking abilities of Penn States WRs. We just don't have players of that caliber on our team. I know the sample size we have to gauge our receivers ability is a small one, but the opportunities they've had this year have been huge and momentum changing. Mitchell may have cost us a game at Fla with his drop and Guidry has been disappointing with several drops as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm not bailing on Moorhead yet. I want to see him train a QB that can run his system and that may mean this season being the dumpster fire that it is, but reality is that we lost the best coach in MSU history and probably the best coach when it comes to adapting to the personnel he has. It's never an easy transition the first year when you lose a HC. It's difficult to find a comparison in our situation because rarely does a coach leave a team as loaded as we were. We were thinking SEC championship and possibly more, but Mullen left. I can't think of another coach that leaves a team that loaded so I believe that is what's messing with our heads the most as we believe we should be undefeated now, but we lost almost our entire leadership across the board.

BuckyIsAB****
10-21-2018, 09:35 PM
I like the post but one statement can undo all of it.

Part of coaching is being able to adapt. Always having a plan for any and everything. He has been here plenty long enough to know what his players can and cannot do. He knew it in the spring.

He has not adapted and still even after Auburn got away from what worked before anyone stopped it. We went from power read to Fitz off right guard with no reason to do so.

He is not a very good coach right now. Period. I want him to be great, Im sure if he had Saquan Barkley and all them he would be great but he doesnt. He has Kylin Hill, Aeris Williams and a good OL that will maul you. If a coach cant use that then hes not a good coach. If we go 6-6 it will be time to cut bait before the roof falls in

Cooterpoot
10-21-2018, 09:40 PM

Other than that, I'm not sure what prevents it from working at MSU.

You?ve got to have good WRs too. And OL that can pass block. Neither of which we?ve ever been able to find. Our recruiting is going to need to be huge out of state. And that ain?t happening. Plus, his inability to adapt his offense to the players tells me it?s going to be a struggle. You going to give him 4 years to get his players? Hell no. It?s going to be ugly as hell.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Well ... he might need some WRs, TEs, and RBs too. Not to mention Olinemen agile enough to keep SEC DEs/LBs from crushing the QB before he can make his read and throw it.

I think we can get those.

QB will be the key

gravedigger
10-21-2018, 09:44 PM
I love nick but his confidence is shot, he holds the ball way to long and he's just not getting it done.

Nick does that because Mullen pounded into his head for 3.5 years. Chicks dig the checkdown, remember?

That isn?t joe. He teaches to read pressure pre snap and just after snap and the wr has to know where to go to exploit the movement of lb?s and safeties.

Mullen?s offense was effective but had a ceiling. It was only effective vs a depleted bama team (5 starters out) and other reeling defenses. Couldn?t do crap vs Auburn last year. Or Georgia. Heck om had us stopped right up until Fitz got hurt.

Joes has a lower floor due to being complicated, but has a much higher ceiling.

I get people are pissed due to how much we expected (and how much they pay) but Fitz, bless his heart, cannot out athlete defenses who take away the run.

yjnkdawg
10-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Now that I've had time to digest this whole thing, I've got a few thoughts &, if you'd truly like to know the problem, please watch the below video. All the plays look the exact same but with a different person executing them.

I only have it in me to bitch & complain for so long before I attempt to try to look at things from an intelligent point of view & logically make sense of them.

- Dan Mullen spoke Chinese & Moorhead speaks Spanish. Both are great languages, but you can't expect a group of people who have been learning Chinese to all of the sudden be able to pick up Spanish quickly, nor can you expect the Spanish teacher to teach Chinese quickly. Joe Moorhead can't run Dan Mullen's offense & Dan Mullen can't run Moorhead's offense. Both are from different coaching lineages & both are pretty far removed from the median of college offenses. That leads me to my second point.
- Joe Moorhead was an absolutely terrible hire to maximize the potential of the 2018 Mississippi State Bulldogs. We chose a Spanish guy to teach Spanish to a bunch of dudes that were fluent in Chinese. It is what is, but that doesn't mean that Joe Moorhead is a bad Spanish teacher or that Spanish is a bad language. Just means wrong guy at the wrong time. If you want to blame John Cohen for anything, this is the sweet spot. It's unintelligent to say that Joe Moorhead is a bad coach. It's very intelligent to say that Joe was the wrong guy to maximize the potential of this team. Perhaps a Chinese speaking coach would've been best. Perhaps someone with lineage to Meyer Zedong. It is what it is, but it doesn't make the Spanish speaking guy a shitty teacher. Just a bad fit at the time he came in.

- Now that we've established that foundation of thought, we've got to ask: how the 17 can we learn Spanish? Well, learning Spanish from the Spanish teacher requires one of two things & preferably both: A high IQ, high football IQ QB that can process information quickly &/or someone that has been speaking Spanish for a long time & has developed the Spanish football IQ to process defenses & information quickly. You see, we've got the double whammy of negative going on here. The old coach didn't prioritize football IQ, instincts, & ability to process information in his QB recruiting. He prioritized, with great effectiveness, toughness & athleticism, but the problem is that those qualities don't help you learn Spanish.

- In the below video is a high level Spanish speaker that learned to speak Spanish quickly because he has a high football IQ, processes information quickly, & has quicker feet with more efficient lateral quickness than Nick Zedong of China. What you see in the below video are the EXACT SAME PLAYS WE ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING, but with much greater processing speed, which allows him to get rid of the football extremely quick.

- This is not Nick Fitzgerald's fault & to some degree is not Joe Moorhead's fault since he is a Spanish dude that took over a team full of Chinese people. If you really want to blame someone, you have two choices: John Cohen of India who understood neither Spanish or Chinese well enough to make an educated decision about how both offenses worked & what would allow MSU to maximize it's potential in 2018 or you can blame Mullen Zedong who bailed on his SR Chinese speaking QB & basically destroyed his career by doing so. Either one is fair game.

- However, lastly, Spanish is a great language & can be spoken in the SEC very effectively when actual Spanish people or people that have lived in a Spanish speaking country for a while are playing. This offense works & will work. It's just gonna take time.

Great post Gun, and Bingo on what I highlighted. We all wanted more passing, being able to attract elite receivers and more explosive plays than DM had, but there appears there are a few growing pains due to the language barriers. Can we give it time for the fluent Spanish people (players) to become members of our football team, or maybe some of our players be more fluent in Spanish? According to some on this board we can't. Guess we will see.

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:45 PM
I think we can get those.

QB will be the key

He better get busy then. Right now our WR & Oline recruiting is crap as far as I can tell.

msstate7
10-21-2018, 09:46 PM
He better get busy then. Right now our WR & Oline recruiting is crap as far as I can tell.

And rb

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:47 PM
And rb

yep

Commercecomet24
10-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Nick does that because Mullen pounded into his head for 3.5 years. Chicks dig the checkdown, remember?

That isn?t joe. He teaches to read pressure pre snap and just after snap and the wr has to know where to go to exploit the movement of lb?s and safeties.

Mullen?s offense was effective but had a ceiling. It was only effective vs a depleted bama team (5 starters out) and other reeling defenses. Couldn?t do crap vs Auburn last year. Or Georgia. Heck om had us stopped right up until Fitz got hurt.

Joes has a lower floor due to being complicated, but has a much higher ceiling.

I get people are pissed due to how much we expected (and how much they pay) but Fitz, bless his heart, cannot out athlete defenses who take away the run.

Very well said! Bravo, sir! I like your take on things! Rep given!

yjnkdawg
10-21-2018, 09:51 PM

I can't see any way that we can attract any elite wide receivers right now based upon our inept passing game. I can see why Guidry could be upset. He came here because of the JoeMo offense. Not to watch a quarterback run a lot of the plays.

msstate7
10-21-2018, 09:52 PM
I can't see any way that we can attract any elite wide receivers right now based upon our inept passing game. I can see why Guidry could be upset. He came here because of the JoeMo offense. Not to watch a quarterback run a lot of the plays.

He came here bc lsu didn't want him

MagicDawg
10-21-2018, 09:53 PM
This conversation is a lot more reassuring than the game was. Sigh.

HoopsDawg
10-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Sounds like all Moorhead needs is a big time QB that can run and throw and make good decisions, a big time RB, 2 great receivers, an NFL caliber TE and better o linemen. Then if we could drop LSU, Bama etc from the schedule and play Rutgers and Indiana, Moorhead will be ok. And then something about learning a new language?

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Sounds like all Moorhead needs is a big time QB that can run and throw and make good decisions, a big time RB, 2 great receivers, an NFL caliber TE and better o linemen. Then if we could drop LSU, Bama etc from the schedule and play Rutgers and Indiana, Moorhead will be ok. And then something about learning a new language?

LMFAO ... again!!

Hell our guys can barely speak English ***

Commercecomet24
10-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Those things would certainly help lol

dawgday166
10-21-2018, 10:00 PM
So ... I believe we've concluded now what it takes to run Moorhead offense from an intellectual and talent standpoint. Sounds to me it's gonna take at least 6 years of the most phenomenal recruiting this side of Bama/Ga.

maroonmania
10-21-2018, 10:03 PM

Well on the bright side, next year there will be VERY low expectations for our football team so Moorhead can teach his new system without any pressure at that point.

yjnkdawg
10-21-2018, 10:04 PM
He came here bc lsu didn't want him

If he had known prior too that our passing offense was going to be anywhere near this pathetic, then he wouldn't be here. I don't really know how good he is, because we can't get him the ball. Maybe we need to run a jet sweep or something.? He was supposed to be our go to guy. So much for that.

99jc
10-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Shotgun Get a 17ing job and quit posting bullshit hypothetical scenarios

msstate7
10-21-2018, 10:06 PM
If he had known prior too that our passing offense was going to be anywhere near this pathetic, then he wouldn't be here. I don't really know how good he is, because we can't get him the ball. Maybe we need to run a jet sweep or something.? He was supposed to be our go to guy. So much for that.

He should be getting wr screens at the very least. There are ways to get a playmaker the ball without throwing it 20 yards down field. Guidry looks like a playmaker, but he's useless if our coach can't scheme a way to get him the ball

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 10:10 PM
You?ve got to have good WRs too. And OL that can pass block. Neither of which we?ve ever been able to find. Our recruiting is going to need to be huge out of state. And that ain?t happening. Plus, his inability to adapt his offense to the players tells me it?s going to be a struggle. You going to give him 4 years to get his players? Hell no. It?s going to be ugly as hell.

A big part of the pass blocking problem is that our QB extremely slow in processing the defense. Fix the QB processing speed & pass blocking becomes significantly easier.

yjnkdawg
10-21-2018, 10:11 PM
He should be getting wr screens at the very least. There are ways to get a playmaker the ball without throwing it 20 yards down field. Guidry looks like a playmaker, but he's useless if our coach can't scheme a way to get him the ball

I agree 7, and he is frustrated too. Which is normal for somebody who wants the ball.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Hell our guys can barely speak English ***

Funny you say this. I think the biggest risk of Moorhead not being able to implement his system is the intelligence level of the players he recruits.

Thing is though, if we can't run an offense with a complexity, we have no chance of beating Bama with a dumb dumb offense that only relies on physical tools.

TrapGame
10-21-2018, 10:15 PM
So after nine years of one head coach that built a foundation we've scrapped everything and we're building another foundation with another head coach who couldn't come in and build upon what was already here.

We're back at square one.

That's just great.

maroonmania
10-21-2018, 10:19 PM
A big part of the pass blocking problem is that our QB extremely slow in processing the defense. Fix the QB processing speed & pass blocking becomes significantly easier.

Fitz has no pocket presence as well. A true pocket QB can move around to buy himself time while continuing to process what's going on downfield. Fitz doesn't really do this. I know when Josh Allen was running WAY up the field and around our LT Fitz never once moved up in the pocket to get away from the rush. That being said, our OL is still very weak in the pass protection department.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 10:20 PM
So after nine years of one head coach that built a foundation we've scrapped everything and we're building another foundation with another head coach who couldn't come in and build upon what was already here.

That's just great.

Yes. That's exactly what our AD did. Not Moorhead's fault for accepting the job

In Cohen's defense though, it was his first football hire & hiring football coaches is different from every other sport due to the dramatic differences in schematics. In baseball, every coach does 99% of the same stuff, so changing coaches doesn't have a huge effect on the style a team plays. In football it does.

Perhaps the best example of what has happened with our football team is how our baseball team went through 3 pitching coaches in 1 year & thus half the staff needed Tommy John. It's not that anyone of those 3 pitching coaches were bad, but rather that change in styles, workouts, & philosophy caused issues with the muscle memory of the players & they broke down.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Can this offense work in the SEC?

You decide... These types of issues on happen on most of our passing plays. Again. remember we have a Chinese guy at QB.

https://twitter.com/Brett_Hudson/status/1054079251622846464

Cooterpoot
10-21-2018, 10:21 PM

Yeah, you haven?t been watching guys blow past our tackles. Its not because he holds the ball.

Cooterpoot
10-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Funny how Fitz was perfect for this offense and a heisman dark horse before the season now all of a sudden everything is his fault. Our coaches suck too. They don’t have a damn clue how to adjust.

Todd4State
10-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Funny how Fitz was perfect for this offense and a heisman dark horse before the season now all of a sudden everything is his fault. Our coaches suck too. They don’t have a damn clue how to adjust.

I personally expected Fitzgerald to mature as a QB in the offseason. I was wrong.

TrapGame
10-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Yes. That's exactly what our AD did. Not Moorhead's fault for accepting the job

It's Moorhead's fault for not realizing he was walking into Hong Kong and not Madrid. And yet he continues to speak Spanish to the natives like they should be able to understand him.

Moorhead is supposed to be an offensive genius. I'm not seeing the ingenuity. I see a guy in over his head in a conference that will chew you up and spit you out.

Todd4State
10-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Great post Shotgun.

I think Fitz is like a pitcher that is 6'5" 225 and can throw 100 MPH but is wild and doesn't know how to pitch. He has all the measurables and physical tools to be an All-Star or even HOF player. But he just doesn't have it between the ears to do it.

yjnkdawg
10-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Funny how Fitz was perfect for this offense and a heisman dark horse before the season now all of a sudden everything is his fault. Our coaches suck too. They don?t have a damn clue how to adjust.

JoeMo thought Fitz could learn his offense, and he could improve Fitz's passing proficiency enough, and then with Fitz's elite running ability that he could run his offense, as it was designed to be run. He has now learned that was more wishful thinking, and more of a dream. Yeah, I agree, I don't see any offensive adjustments being made.

maroonmania
10-21-2018, 10:36 PM
I personally expected Fitzgerald to mature as a QB in the offseason. I was wrong.

Absolutely could not have been a worse time for Fitz to have to miss the active part of Spring practice. The ankle injury did much more than just cost us last year's Egg Bowl.

TrapGame
10-21-2018, 10:37 PM
Great post Shotgun.

I think Fitz is like a pitcher that is 6'5" 225 and can throw 100 MPH but is wild and doesn't know how to pitch. He has all the measurables and physical tools to be an All-Star or even HOF player. But he just doesn't have it between the ears to do it.

That's why I'm worried about the type of QBs Joe is looking for to run his system. It's like you have to be one part Einstein and one part Jim Thorpe to make it work. That kind of QB does not grow plentifully in the South.

bluelightstar
10-21-2018, 10:38 PM
I agree 7, and he is frustrated too. Which is normal for somebody who wants the ball.

Look at guys on the sideline after each drive. The whole offense is frustrated.

Cooterpoot
10-21-2018, 10:40 PM
JoeMo thought Fitz could learn his offense, and he could improve Fitz's passing proficiency enough, and then with his elite running ability that he could run his offense, as it was designed to be run. He has now learned that was more wishful thinking, and more of a dream. Yeah, I agree, I don't see any offensive adjustments being made.

Bullshit. It took him losing badly to KY and FL to realize he had a problem. He thought KState was SEC good. Moorhead is lost. People close to the program have been talking about it since camp opened. Our practices are nowhere close to Mullen’s. A total lack of discipline. Their refusal to recruit during the season. This is worse than you realize. I was patient because I hoped they were wrong. They weren’t.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 10:46 PM
That's why I'm worried about the type of QBs Joe is looking for to run his system. It's like you have to be one part Einstein and one part Jim Thorpe to make it work. That kind of QB does not grow plentifully in the South.

Trace McSorely is nothing like Jim Thorpe.

Joe will just recruit QBs that have a little more passing ability than what Mullen was recruiting & a little higher football IQ. I don't think size & brute strength will be as high on the priority list.

You also must consider that guys will look much more comfortable in this offense when they are recruited to it & spend a few years in it before starting for us.

Hopefully KT or Mayden figures it out.

Todd4State
10-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Absolutely could not have been a worse time for Fitz to have to miss the active part of Spring practice. The ankle injury did much more than just cost us last year's Egg Bowl.

I don't think it should have affected him this much. He could and should have incorporated throwing the football into his rehab routine. And probably did. He could have spent a lot of the time learning the offense and how to read defenses and things like that. He was well enough to play in the spring game and was held out as a precaution and went through a lot of the drills. He was well enough in the summer to throw to his teammates. I don't know how much of that did or didn't happen in the offseason but it appears to me that as I have said before that Nick either doesn't have the desire to put the work in to be great or is unable to handle this level of football from a mental standpoint.

yjnkdawg
10-21-2018, 10:52 PM
Trace McSorely is nothing like Jim Thorpe.

Joe will just recruit QBs that have a little more passing ability than what Mullen was recruiting & a little higher football IQ. I don't think size & brute strength will be as high on the priority list.

You also must consider that guys will look much more comfortable in this offense when they are recruited to it & spend a few years in it before starting for us.

Hopefully KT or Mayden figures it out.

I think Mayden is more adapted to this offense than a DM one. Hopefully both can get the handle on this offense.

HoopsDawg
10-21-2018, 10:54 PM

Exactly. We don't have to learn Mandarin, lol. We had 2 weeks to get ready and we ran QB Power with no lead blocker 15 freaking times. If Fitz is your QB, build a system that works for Fitz. Especially if u are a guru. I can't believe the excuses and misplaced blame from so many posters.

HoopsDawg
10-21-2018, 10:55 PM

Bingo. This is MS.

Todd4State
10-21-2018, 10:55 PM

I'm not worried about that in this day and age of football. Most high school teams even in Mississippi run some sort of a variation of a spread offense. I think if we had Gardner Minchew we would be fine and he came from Brandon. Also, with us being in the SEC it makes us more attractive to QB prospects because there are only so many QB's that can play in this league. Not to mention the new transfer rules make it easier for us to find veteran QB's more easily and that can allow us time to develop someone like a Shrader.

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Bingo. This is MS.

We don't have a single scholarship QB from Mississippi. Our QB recruiting has nothing to do with Mississippi

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 06:46 AM
Bullshit. It took him losing badly to KY and FL to realize he had a problem. He thought KState was SEC good. Moorhead is lost. People close to the program have been talking about it since camp opened. Our practices are nowhere close to Mullen?s. A total lack of discipline. Their refusal to recruit during the season. This is worse than you realize. I was patient because I hoped they were wrong. They weren?t.

I started suspecting this before the season started due to all the glowing "we are good" reports coming out of practice from Moorhead himself. When watching Training Days - Rolling with the Tide I wondered if we were practicing that hard. It's pretty evident we weren't.

You can tell it now too ... how hard and physical our defense is playing, especially since FL loss when Shoop put in "Toughness Tuesdays". However, our offense still looks lost in so many aspects and it ain't just Fitz either.

Note to Tusk: I know I mentioned Bammer in this thread and you usually comment back when someone mentions Bammer to make sure they got it all straight, etc. You and me are buds but I really ain't interested in Bama/AU comments right now cause I know Bama is really freakin good, and you are gloating hard over there with how good you is, how f***ed up AU/Gus is, etc. I love it for you man but right now we melting on how f***cked up we is right now on offense, how much our program might've been set back, etc. Makes it even worse when we have a D that may could possibly slow y'all down just a tad, probably not tho and y'all the greatest team ever this year. I don't need to keep being reminded of it ** Not right now at least.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 06:51 AM
I wonder how many times Moorhead faced a talent deficit while at penn state. He will face one 5 times in the sec next season

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 06:52 AM

If he was getting some good coaching, he might have. Or, maybe Fitz just didn't work hard over summer, and that could be the case.

As bad as I hate to say it, Mullen does have 2 QBs in the league. And neither were highly recruited.

Maybe we'll see if Key is the saviour this week. I hope so.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2018, 08:08 AM
If he was getting some good coaching, he might have. Or, maybe Fitz just didn't work hard over summer, and that could be the case.

As bad as I hate to say it, Mullen does have 2 QBs in the league. And neither were highly recruited.

Maybe we'll see if Key is the saviour this week. I hope so.

I don't know that Fitz working any harder is the answer. The entire scheme is way over our QB's head. It doesn't matter how hard he works if he hit his ceiling, he hit his ceiling. It royally sucks, but it happens when you only recruit athletes to run a particular system.

What is baffling is how Moorhead has continued to make the situation worse by not creating game plans to minimize it. Who knows, maybe his strategy to save face was forcing Fitz to fail to mightily to justify a change.
If so, then I think we have a bigger issue because we have a coach who was willing to put a player in position to fail instead of manning up and just making a change. That's the type of tactic that causes major locker room problems - short term and long term - because you can't trust the coach to be honest with players.

Dawgs31
10-22-2018, 08:18 AM
I don't know that Fitz working any harder is the answer. The entire scheme is way over our QB's head. It doesn't matter how hard he works if he hit his ceiling, he hit his ceiling.

What is baffling is how Moorhead has continued to make the situation worse by not creating game plans to minimize it. Who knows, maybe his strategy to save face was forcing Fitz to fail to mightily to justify a change.
If so, then I think we have a bigger issue because we have a coach who was willing to put a player in position to fail instead of manning up and just making a change. That's the type of tactic that causes major locker room problems - short term and long term - because you can't trust the coach to be honest with players.

All we’ve been doing is simplifying this thing up. Fitz cannot see the obvious DE pressure and slide protection or hit a simple check down. He threw a 5 yard pick Saturday. Come on.

You can see where even a semi-capable QB would make this offense click on film. Ww have many instances of wide open receivers. Many instances of making the right read on the read option (giving it to the RB) would result in big plays. If he isn’t mentally capable then get him out.

bluelightstar
10-22-2018, 08:25 AM
All we?ve been doing is simplifying this thing up. Fitz cannot see the obvious DE pressure and slide protection or hit a simple check down. He threw a 5 yard pick Saturday. Come on.

You can see where even a semi-capable QB would make this offense click on film. Ww have many instances of wide open receivers. Many instances of making the right read on the read option (giving it to the RB) would result in big plays. If he isn?t mentally capable then get him out.

Exactly, Moorhead has adjusted this offense since the Week 4 game at Kentucky. We aren't asking Fitz to throw it a lot, and when we are asking him to throw it, he can't find wide open receivers. He is missing short, he is missing intermediate, he is missing deep. He is not seeing blitzing safeties at the line of scrimmage before the snap. He is just not doing anything you expect a quarterback to be able to do.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 08:37 AM
All we?ve been doing is simplifying this thing up. Fitz cannot see the obvious DE pressure and slide protection or hit a simple check down. He threw a 5 yard pick Saturday. Come on.

You can see where even a semi-capable QB would make this offense click on film. Ww have many instances of wide open receivers. Many instances of making the right read on the read option (giving it to the RB) would result in big plays. If he isn?t mentally capable then get him out.

Yet a team with the same offensive players from last year that averaged 31 pts a game can't score. It's not about simplifying it. It's about doing what makes your talent successful. Joe Moorhead cannot do that. He continues to ignore his best players (RBs) on offense. That's not an adjustment. That's stupidity.

dawgday166
10-22-2018, 08:38 AM
All we’ve been doing is simplifying this thing up. Fitz cannot see the obvious DE pressure and slide protection or hit a simple check down. He threw a 5 yard pick Saturday. Come on.

You can see where even a semi-capable QB would make this offense click on film. Ww have many instances of wide open receivers. Many instances of making the right read on the read option (giving it to the RB) would result in big plays. If he isn’t mentally capable then get him out.

Exactly, Moorhead has adjusted this offense since the Week 4 game at Kentucky. We aren't asking Fitz to throw it a lot, and when we are asking him to throw it, he can't find wide open receivers. He is missing short, he is missing intermediate, he is missing deep. He is not seeing blitzing safeties at the line of scrimmage before the snap. He is just not doing anything you expect a quarterback to be able to do.

Go take a listen to Matt Wyatt.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2018, 08:45 AM

No, you are still requiring him to make reads and check downs that he can't process. Simplifying and minimizing are 2 different things. Moorhead may have simplified it by relying on passing less, but he still doesn't minimize the risk. Where were the bubble screens we ran against AU? Where are the RB screens on blitz downs? Where were the RB's and TE's in the flat? We threw to Hill twice -once for an 8 yard gain. We threw to Green 1 time for a 5 yard gain (he also had a drop). Have we run a play-action pass all year? Those type plays minimize the passing game. Moorhead continues to call for downfield passing and RPO's with a QB that has proven he can't do it.

parabrave
10-22-2018, 08:47 AM

That's just great.

Changing that Culture man***

msstate7
10-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Changing that Culture man***

He's keeping his word... we've gone from tough to soft. We're well on our way to go from a winning program to a losing one

yjnkdawg
10-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Bullshit. It took him losing badly to KY and FL to realize he had a problem. He thought KState was SEC good. Moorhead is lost. People close to the program have been talking about it since camp opened. Our practices are nowhere close to Mullen?s. A total lack of discipline. Their refusal to recruit during the season. This is worse than you realize. I was patient because I hoped they were wrong. They weren?t.

I had heard the practices were nothing like the DM ones, and some of the players said they were more fun practices, but I thought maybe that was just this coaching staff's way of doing things. No cussing or getting in your face like DM did. That should have been a red flag. Then after Fitz says there is a disconnect from practice to a game on the offensive side (passing the ball) , but he doesn't know what it is, but he will fix it then something is definitely wrong. If he can't fix it by now then it won't have any way of getting fixed unless there is a change. You mentioned about KY. I agree. I don't know why it took JoeMo so long to realize that Fitz is what he is. He was an athlete recruited by DM to be a quarterback adapted to run the DM offense. DM knew of his lack of passing experience, but felt like he could work with him and get Fitz's passing good enough to run his offense.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-22-2018, 09:21 AM
I don't know that Fitz working any harder is the answer. The entire scheme is way over our QB's head. It doesn't matter how hard he works if he hit his ceiling, he hit his ceiling. It royally sucks, but it happens when you only recruit athletes to run a particular system.

Agree with the first paragraph. But on the second one, we had only thrown the ball ~15 times well into the 4th quarter. Part of me wants to defend him and say that Moorhead IS simplifying his offense. But then I look at how rarely he put the ball in the RBs hands and I don't know what to think.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Y'all can continue to throw all this on Fitz if you want, but when the rest of the offense doesn't know how to do their jobs either, it's coaching. Our OL doesn't know what's going on a lot of times. Our WRs can't run routes or block. Our QB is lost. The whole offense is bad (we don't know about the RBs because they are used so little). These same guys scored over 30 a game last year. This idea that all our players are stupid is over the top ridiculous too. Coaches are paid to do a job and they aren't doing it.
Now you're starting to see the people talking that had concerns from day one of camp. They're going to sugar coat it a little, but it's starting to spread finally. Lose this week and the shit is going to hit the fan and splatter on every wall.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Y'all can continue to throw all this on Fitz if you want, but when the rest of the offense doesn't know how to do their jobs either, it's coaching. Our OL doesn't know what's going on a lot of times. Our WRs can't run routes or block. Our QB is lost. The whole offense is bad (we don't know about the RBs because they are used so little). These same guys scored over 30 a game last year. This idea that all our players are stupid is over the top ridiculous too. Coaches are paid to do a job and they aren't doing it.
Now you're starting to see the people talking that had concerns from day one of camp. They're going to sugar coat it a little, but it's starting to spread finally. Lose this week and the shit is going to hit the fan and splatter on every wall.

I think something that gets little play is how different the OL is. Pass blocking has always been an issue, but now run blocking seems to be. They do not open running lanes like we used to at all. That may be schematic - but how many times in past years have you seen huge holes open up for our RB or QB to blow thru and get into the 2nd level. It happened multiple times a game. That isn't happening anymore. Any run inside is a run into heavy traffic.

Dawgs31
10-22-2018, 09:47 AM
I think something that gets little play is how different the OL is. Pass blocking has always been an issue, but now run blocking seems to be. They do not open running lanes like we used to at all. That may be schematic - but how many times in past years have you seen huge holes open up for our RB or QB to blow thru and get into the 2nd level. It happened multiple times a game. That isn't happening anymore. Any run inside is a run into heavy traffic.

We averaged 5 YPC I’m not sure what else you want in the run blocking. If we have even a tiny bit of passing competency we win that game. Just a little ability to make simple reads and timely place the ball where it needs to go.

5 YPC with zero threat through the air. Kylin would have gotten 20 carries for 150 yds if Fitz could keep the defense just a little honest.

This offense IS our equalizer against what will always be a talent mismatch against the blue bloods. If we hope to progress to a championship it will be in this system. Not dumbed down Mullen system of essentially beating those you are supposed to and losing to those more talented.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Watch how many times the OL fails to recognize and pick up the correct person on a blitz. And the OL has a couple studs on it but even Mullen used TEs and RBs to block. We rarely do it now. Hill still can't block but we only want to play one RB and the same 3 WRs every play. Aries was a huge part of this team and these coaches 17'd him. Just simple things that our coaches don't do. Those are adjustments. Those are things you prepare during the week. But again, our WRs and QB don't know what they're doing either so it's one huge cluster 17.
Then we punt it for 30 yards or throw a pick, and screw our incredible defense.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2018, 10:15 AM
We averaged 5 YPC I’m not sure what else you want in the run blocking. If we have even a tiny bit of passing competency we win that game. Just a little ability to make simple reads and timely place the ball where it needs to go.

5 YPC with zero threat through the air. Kylin would have gotten 20 carries for 150 yds if Fitz could keep the defense just a little honest.

This offense IS our equalizer against what will always be a talent mismatch against the blue bloods. If we hope to progress to a championship it will be in this system. Not dumbed down Mullen system of essentially beating those you are supposed to and losing to those more talented.

Gaining yards isn't what I am taking about. We have gone from blowing huge running lanes in defenses to keeping defenses bunched and running in traffic. We have very strong and talented runners with a capability of getting yards after contact too. Look at these runs in this video of the 2016 Ole Miss game at 1:55 and 6:38 - You never see lanes like this with this blocking scheme.

https://youtu.be/fcTfrIKmE8Y

testuser
10-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Funny how Fitz was perfect for this offense and a heisman dark horse before the season now all of a sudden everything is his fault. Our coaches suck too. They don?t have a damn clue how to adjust.

Where do you coach?

testuser
10-22-2018, 10:27 AM
I wonder how many times Moorhead faced a talent deficit while at penn state. He will face one 5 times in the sec next season

How many times did Mullen beat teams he wasn't supposed to beat (at MSU)?

testuser
10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Jimmys and Joes beat Xs and Os...

Our recruiting on the offensive side of the ball has been anemic for years and prior to this year it always showed when playing better teams. Nothing has changed.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-22-2018, 10:36 AM
We averaged 5 YPC I?m not sure what else you want in the run blocking. If we have even a tiny bit of passing competency we win that game. Just a little ability to make simple reads and timely place the ball where it needs to go.

I agree with this part, we had hit our ceiling with Mullen's offense, outside of recruiting better talent to run it. For the last few years everyone was saying we needed a more dynamic offense to take the next step forward as a program. Cohen rolled the dice and hired a guy that, on paper, should be able to do that. Maybe Moorhead isn't able to get it done, but all the people wanting to burn the program down and start over because we aren't getting what we could have gotten under Mullen are being myopic. This is the first year of a new coach running a completely new system (that we have all been begging for for the past few seasons) with a QB who was hurt most of the offseason and who is simply not a fit for his offense. There are legitimate concerns with Moorhead, but outside of hiring one of Mullen's offensive assistants (which would have caused this board to riot), no one was going to seamlessly come in and run the program at the same capacity as Mullen in his 10th year at MSU.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Where do you coach?

Some of choose not to put our personal lives on an open message board. But you're welcome to throw out where you coach if you wish.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 10:41 AM
How many times did Mullen beat teams he wasn't supposed to beat (at MSU)?

Mullen would've been favored in two of those games, so I guess he wins those. If he does, then he's probably undefeated and in the top 10 and favored vs LSU too. So, I guess he wins that one as well.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 10:43 AM

Our recruiting on the offensive side of the ball has been anemic for years and prior to this year it always showed when playing better teams. Nothing has changed.

Have you looked at our recruiting? We aren't getting any better, and the Xs and Os have gone to sheet.

testuser
10-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Have you looked at our recruiting? We aren't getting any better, and the Xs and Os have gone to sheet.

agreed....that is what I'm saying. You can run any offense you want but if you are out talented by half the conference, you aren't going to win the games you are not supposed to win. We are out talented on offense at pretty much every position except running back. Our front 7 has been good for many years with a weak back end. We had an opportunity with Prescott, a once in a lifetime player - yet lost when it mattered.

Not 1 of our WR/TE or Corners/Safeties would start at bama, lsu or georgia. Abram would be best bet and would probably run second team.

Really Clark?
10-22-2018, 10:52 AM

We scored vs Bama and LSU last year with the same team basically as this year. And hung 40+ vs Kentucky. I’ll tell you what’s changed

BB30
10-22-2018, 10:59 AM

In his defense if we had a solid qb that could run his system we very well could have gone down there and won this past Saturday. We had guys wide open multiple times and Fitz just made a horrible read and or threw the ball directly to a guy wearing the wrong jersey. A lot of the offensive success LSU had was due to working with a short field. We physically pounded Auburn in that list, played LSU much better than UGA did and the ATM game is still undecided. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we beat ATM Saturday.

Anyone that thought before the season that we were going to go down there and just roll over LSU was kidding themselves anyway. That was always going to be a tough game.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 11:01 AM
In his defense if we had a solid qb that could run his system we very well could have gone down there and won this past Saturday. We had guys wide open multiple times and Fitz just made a horrible read and or threw the ball directly to a guy wearing the wrong jersey. A lot of the offensive success LSU had was due to working with a short field. We physically pounded Auburn in that list, played LSU much better than UGA did and the ATM game is still undecided. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we beat ATM Saturday.

Anyone that thought before the season that we were going to go down there and just roll over LSU was kidding themselves anyway. That was always going to be a tough game.

I didn't predict a win there to start the season. I also didn't predict to only score 1 time vs Kentucky, Florida, and LSU. I didn't predict we'd be the worst team in the country offensively vs their conference. We are dead last nationally in scoring offense in conf play

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Take away the AU game and we've scored 1 TD in SEC play? Is that correct? And our coaches have nothing to do with that? It's all on one player? LOL

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Take away the AU game and we've scored 1 TD in SEC play? Is that correct? And our coaches have nothing to do with that? It's all on one player? LOL

It's complicated. Obviously the coaches have a lot to do with that, but there are circumstances that make it difficult.

It's a crappy situation

Cooterpoot
10-22-2018, 11:17 AM
It's complicated. Obviously the coaches have a lot to do with that, but there are circumstances that make it difficult.

It's a crappy situation

We can agree on that.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 11:19 AM

It's a crappy situation

Bull crap. Ark has nothing on offense. They have a completely different offensive system. They scored 31 on bama. We've scored 39 TOTAL in 4 sec games. Morris can coach his garbage team, but Moorhead gets a complete pass from you and he has a huge talent advantage

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Bull crap. Ark has nothing on offense. They have a completely different offensive system. They scored 31 on bama. We've scored 39 TOTAL in 4 sec games. Morris can coach his garbage team, but Moorhead gets a complete pass from you and he has a huge talent advantage

Different offenses & Moorhead doesn't likely know how to coach Morris' offense.

I have no idea how complicated Morris' offense is & what he's asking the QB read

Maybe Arkansas' QB has a higher football IQ than Fitz &/or is more accustomed to going through reads due to how he learned the game at a young age. Their are numerous reasons why Arkansas' offense may be having more success at picking up Morris' offense quicker than MSU is picking up Moorhead's.

There are so many problems & questions with your one size fits all statement, that you're either incredibly arrogant or stupid to make it.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Different offenses & Moorhead doesn't likely know how to coach Morris' offense.

I have no idea how complicated Morris' offense is & what he's asking the QB read

Maybe Arkansas' QB has a higher football IQ than Fitz &/or is more accustomed to going through reads due to how he learned the game at a young age. Their are numerous reasons why Arkansas' offense may be having more success at picking up Morris' offense quicker than MSU is picking up Moorhead's.

There are so many problems & questions with your one size fits all statement, that you're either incredibly arrogant or stupid to make it.

Fine, Moorhead is above reproach. We absolutely should be in last place in the country in scoring offense vs conference opponents (127 of 127).

McE ran a hell of an offense at bama. Hell, he even was successful at CSU. His offense sucked butt at Florida though for 3 years bc he no longer had an extreme talent advantage.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Fine, Moorhead is above reproach. We absolutely should be in last place in the country in scoring offense vs conference opponents (127 of 127).

McE ran a hell of an offense at bama. Hell, he even was successful at CSU. His offense sucked butt at Florida though for 3 years bc he no longer had an extreme talent advantage.

I didn't say that Moorhead is above reproach. He is to blame for many things. However, it's also important to look at this thing from an intelligent standpoint & not a meathead standpoint.

It's a crappy situation for both Fitz & Moorhead. They speak different languages yet were told they had to get married.

msstate7
10-22-2018, 12:06 PM
I didn't say that Moorhead is above reproach. He is to blame for many things. However, it's also important to look at this thing from an intelligent standpoint & not a meathead standpoint.

It's a crappy situation for both Fitz & Moorhead. They speak different languages yet were told they had to get married.

So in your intelligent POV everyone is wrong but you? Tell me how much time you spent around practice to come up with this language barrier. What's the different terminology? Or did you just dream up something?

msstate7
10-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Moorhead told us this summer that no one had picked up his offense this fast. His offense worked great vs garbage teams. When did we stop understanding his offense? Oh yeah, when an sec team was opposite us. Between ULL and Kentucky, we forgot our Spanish

bluelightstar
10-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Moorhead doesn't even look like he likes Fitz in this press conference