PDA

View Full Version : Athletics in General

Rick Danko
10-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Is anyone else terrified of what may be to come. This was supposed to be ?the year?. All major sports are going to end season ranked highly and launch us into the stratosphere. Now we have football that has tanked, and a new baseball coach hired by Cohen, whose current track record is dog shit. I know that Vic has his shit under control, but aside from miracle runs in basketball (NIt) and baseball (still amazed and proud of what those guys accomplished), this could be a great year or a heartbreaker. I want to believe but man, this football season has really put a 17ing on the start of what was supposed to be a record year.

Pit Bull
10-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Here has been my take for the last 40 years......

Football has always been hit or miss with cycles of winning, losing, and somewhere in between. MSU will always be in the "somewhere in between" mode.
Basketball has always been more or less above average and on several occasions the best in the SEC. I expect this will sort of continue and w/Howland probably better.
Baseball has always been our bread & butter. Most of the time, big winners with few occasional down or average years. It will always bring smiles to us most of the time.

Other non major sports seem to come and go, but Vic has the Women's BBall team really buzzing now. Enjoy this while it lasts before he retires or goes back home.
Ditto on tennis....we appear to be well set up for another big year and big run into the NCAA's!

Summary: We will NEVER be consistently good in football....no point hyperventilating over it or having heart attacks. Just enjoy the good years cause bad years usually follow at some point. When we have bad years, just relax, do other things and support the team even though we sort of suck. The players deserve it, if we don't. Any other sports that happen to be on winning streaks....take them in and give them your support. I really enjoy watching the Women play a great brand of basketball and I fully expect Vic will have us back for the big one sooner rather than later. I also like tennis and to watch those players battle point after point so intensely is incredible.....they are amazingly well conditioned athletes with great skill. I have played tennis some and enjoy it....and to see those guys giving it their all to win for MSU is beyond exciting. Go see them if you have a chance. And of course, my favorite major sport is baseball.....seems like we can always count on baseball. And trust me.....I am praying that Lemonis will end up being a great hire. We don't know yet.....but can only hope. I was pro Hendoo and was hoping he would get the head job. Also realize many here didn't want him......but you have to wonder....how much of his steadying mature influence help keep Canny on track his first year and then help us recover and continue the 2nd year deep into the CWS playoffs. Incredible run under those circumstances! I wish Hendoo the best and will always have a special place in my heart for that magical season! Go Dogs.

Maroonthirteen
10-21-2018, 08:10 PM
State fans greatly over hyped the football team. If State wins 6-7 games, it is a good year for State football. The sky isn’t falling.

Bothrops
10-22-2018, 01:05 PM
State fans greatly over hyped the football team. If State wins 6-7 games, it is a good year for State football. The sky isn’t falling.

Mostly true, but the hype should have been kept in check due to the coaching change. This team would have won 9+ games under a determined Don Mullen, but we cant be sure we would have gotten that either at the end of the season. At any rate, Mullen's offense and continuity would have helped us hugely.

TNDawg35
10-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Lemonis gonna suprise some of you...