PDA

View Full Version : Weather gurus

msstate7
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Could you please give me weather forecast for Parts Unknown this Saturday? I'll be getting married outside (hopefully) at 7pm. Don't tell my lovely bride that I pushed this weekend bc state is open. Haha

trob115
10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Congrats on getting married. Just got hitched myself last December. I'll pray you have some dry weather that afternoon.

smootness
10-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Congrats, man!

msstate7
10-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys

TheRef
10-16-2013, 09:14 AM
It will probably rain before hand. At the most .5" of accumulated rainfall. Sorry, buddy. 61 degrees for the temperature at 7 p.m.

msstate7
10-16-2013, 09:36 AM
It will probably rain before hand. At the most .5" of accumulated rainfall. Sorry, buddy. 61 degrees for the temperature at 7 p.m.

Thanks. Hopefully it isn't raining from 5 on

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Could you please give me weather forecast for Fargo, SD this Saturday? I'll be getting married outside (hopefully) at 7pm. Don't tell my lovely bride that I pushed this weekend bc state is open. Haha

Congrats man, My parents just moved out to Fargo onto some family land. Where are you getting married if you don't mind me asking?

Good job on the scheduling by the way. Looks like you picked the first cooler weekend of the year too.

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM
congrats man.

and by my standards 61 is just right to be able to wear a jacket and be comfortable. Your lady may need a cover up of some kind though. might be a nice wedding day gift idea...

msstate7
10-16-2013, 09:52 AM
[delete

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Oh ok. Sounds good. Well congrats man, I'm expecting your post count to take quite a hit after taking the plunge....but if you're like most of us married guys, it will pick back up in a few years. Ha

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 10:13 AM
What county?

TheRef
10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
What county?

Scott County

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
What county?

Scott

FlabLoser
10-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Congrats, 7.

Seven, 7...did we vet this guy?**

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
The euro looks wetter than the GFS, I'd go with The Ref, rain that morning ending early-mid afternoon.

Or maybe we could whip up an MCS to hang out all weekend?

TheRef
10-16-2013, 10:27 AM
The euro looks wetter than the GFS, I'd go with The Ref, rain that morning ending early-mid afternoon.

Or maybe we could whip up an MCS to hang out all weekend?

Not sure about the MCS. I think we're going to get the frontal system that is going through the Western Rockies right now.

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 10:45 AM
I left off the **.

What do you think about the longer range indications of our first real COLD front coming in the last week of the month?

TheRef
10-16-2013, 10:51 AM
I left off the **.

What do you think about the longer range indications of our first real COLD front coming in the last week of the month?

What model are you using to see that? It's so hard to see over 10 days out. All I see happening soon is a cold front from WY coming through. Lows dropped to 23 last night in WY.

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2013, 11:36 AM
I know the TWC is showing a high in the 50's next Friday in their long range outlook.

Barking 13
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
WCBI said it looks like rain right now** and my rock is wet.... ;)

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 12:00 PM
The Euro - has the freezing line oozing down into far northern MS on 10/26

TheRef
10-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I know the TWC is showing a high in the 50's next Friday in their long range outlook.

Never....ever....ever use the Weather Channel. It disgusts me.

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Never....ever....ever use the Weather Channel. It disgusts me.

Going out on a limb here and guessing you don't get your information from stephanie Abrams or jim cantore.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Going out on a limb here and guessing you don't get your information from stephanie Abrams or jim cantore.

Haha...Jim is a great guy. Personal problems that I won't delve into. But he's a great Meteorologist. Same with Stephanie Abrams. I have no problems with the meteorologists. I have a problem with the big wigs at the desks in charge of TWC which are the same people who own NBC. They are trying to turn them into a news agency more than a weather station. They're doing shows like "Alaskan Ice Pilots" and "Coast Guard: Alaska". Nothing against those people, but The Weather Channel is not the best place for these shows. I'm old-school with The Weather Channel where it was 24/7 weather.

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm old-school with The Weather Channel where it was 24/7 weather.

WORD.

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
\They are trying to turn them into a news agency more than a weather station. They're doing shows like "Alaskan Ice Pilots" and "Coast Guard: Alaska". Nothing against those people, but The Weather Channel is not the best place for these shows. I'm old-school with The Weather Channel where it was 24/7 weather.

I have to agree with you on these points 100%. When I turn that channel on I want to see the weather and not some reality show.

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Hey Ref,

Out of curiosity, do you do any storm chasing? I went through the class for the second time last March and have gone a couple times since then (got a brief tornado in Arkansas). I can tell you that is something I have become seriously hooked on. Going to have to be careful because I talk about it so much that now my three year old son is saying he is going to be a storm chaser too and wants to go with me when I go out.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Hey Ref,

Out of curiosity, do you do any storm chasing? I went through the class for the second time last March and have gone a couple times since then (got a brief tornado in Arkansas). I can tell you that is something I have become seriously hooked on. Going to have to be careful because I talk about it so much that now my three year old son is saying he is going to be a storm chaser too and wants to go with me when I go out.

I have gone chasing a few times. Lately, I've become more of a home base for people who chase can call and get constant updates from a reliable radar instead of relying on phone radars which can't show you all the products most of the time (unless you feel like coughing up a few bucks). I'm glad you've gone through a storm spotting course, what they are recommending now, and has been talked about at the latest National Weather Association meeting this week in Charleston, SC, was that now all chasers should have a well-supplied first-aid kit and have first responder training in case they roll up on a disaster area. If you want to take him out, make sure you are in a safe location with a good way out. Never put yourself in a dangerous situation if you can help it.

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I have gone chasing a few times. Lately, I've become more of a home base for people who chase can call and get constant updates from a reliable radar instead of relying on phone radars which can't show you all the products most of the time (unless you feel like coughing up a few bucks). I'm glad you've gone through a storm spotting course, what they are recommending now, and has been talked about at the latest National Weather Association meeting this week in Charleston, SC, was that now all chasers should have a well-supplied first-aid kit and have first responder training in case they roll up on a disaster area. If you want to take him out, make sure you are in a safe location with a good way out. Never put yourself in a dangerous situation if you can help it.

Don't worry. My chasing with him will be when the threat of severe weather is so low it isn't funny. No way I would get him out with any dangerous weather. I've had some first response training but it has been a while. I did decide this off season that when I go in the future I will take my chainsaw with me in case I need to clear a road or assist in search and rescue efforts. I keep hoping they have an advanced class next year I can attend. I missed the one in Jackson back in February I believe it was. I agree on relying on the phone radar. It sucks big time. Very hard trying to navigate traffic, look at radar, and not put yourself in a bad situation all at the same time. If, while you're driving around town you see a gray Dodge Ram 2500 with a certified storm spotter decal on the tailgate that is me...or my wife if she has the truck.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Don't worry. My chasing with him will be when the threat of severe weather is so low it isn't funny. No way I would get him out with any dangerous weather. I've had some first response training but it has been a while. I did decide this off season that when I go in the future I will take my chainsaw with me in case I need to clear a road or assist in search and rescue efforts. I keep hoping they have an advanced class next year I can attend. I missed the one in Jackson back in February I believe it was. I agree on relying on the phone radar. It sucks big time. Very hard trying to navigate traffic, look at radar, and not put yourself in a bad situation all at the same time. If, while you're driving around town you see a gray Dodge Ram 2500 with a certified storm spotter decal on the tailgate that is me...or my wife if she has the truck.

If you would like, go to http://www.nwa.org.msstate.edu and you can order MSU Meteorology decals, shirts, and other items. If you see a black impala with a MSU Meteorology decal on the lower center rear windshield, that's me. Also, if you'd like I can give you my email or some other form of communication if you want me to be a "home base" during a severe weather chasing day. I don't mind at all. Chainsaw would be a good idea. Make sure you have a good first-aid kit with you also when you chase. It may be the greatest thing ever in a situation. Now I'm not talking EMT quality but at least better than your run-of-the-mill first-aid kit. But I'm glad you're excited about storm chasing.

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
If you would like, go to http://www.nwa.org.msstate.edu and you can order MSU Meteorology decals, shirts, and other items. If you see a black impala with a MSU Meteorology decal on the lower center rear windshield, that's me. Also, if you'd like I can give you my email or some other form of communication if you want me to be a "home base" during a severe weather chasing day. I don't mind at all. Chainsaw would be a good idea. Make sure you have a good first-aid kit with you also when you chase. It may be the greatest thing ever in a situation. Now I'm not talking EMT quality but at least better than your run-of-the-mill first-aid kit. But I'm glad you're excited about storm chasing.

That would be great. It would be nice to have a home radar base. Will have to get a first aid kit before next spring.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 04:39 PM
check your pm, buddy.

bully99
10-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Ref, did you meet Joe Bastardi when he was on campus in August. Tweeted some nice things about MSU.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Ref, did you meet Joe Bastardi when he was on campus in August. Tweeted some nice things about MSU.

I did not. But apparently his son is considering coming to MSU instead of Penn State...that would be HUGE for us if we got his son.

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 05:27 PM
What PC radar software do you use? grlevelx ?

TheRef
10-16-2013, 05:28 PM
What PC radar software do you use? grlevelx ?

Yupp...GR Level 3 v. 2.14

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
It is the shiznit.

Oh, did you see Ryan Maue's tweet ?

Ryan Maue ‏@RyanMaue 1h

Day 10 ECMWF ensemble mean shows strong NW Pac / Gulf of Alaska ridge/block downstream of #Francisco recurvature. pic.twitter.com/FnQToYz6vV

TheRef
10-16-2013, 05:43 PM
It is the shiznit.

Oh, did you see Ryan Maue's tweet ?

Ryan Maue ‏@RyanMaue 1h

Day 10 ECMWF ensemble mean shows strong NW Pac / Gulf of Alaska ridge/block downstream of #Francisco recurvature. pic.twitter.com/FnQToYz6vV

Yupp...btw, I have my own color pallete for GR Level 3

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Well post an example of it!

TheRef
10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Well post an example of it!

With or without screenshot?

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 06:19 PM
A screenshot would be cool to see

TheRef
10-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Product: BR

units: dBZ
step: 5

color: -30 116 78 173
color: -20 147 141 117
color: -10 204 208 175
color: 10 65 91 158
color: 17.5 111 214 232
color: 21 17 209 23
color: 25 15 192 21
color: 30 11 141 15
color: 35 9 94 9
color: 40 255 226 0
color: 49.99 255 128 0
color: 50 255 0 0
color: 59.99 113 0 0
color: 60 255 255 255 255 146 255
color: 65 255 117 255 255 11 227
color: 70 178 0 255 99 0 214
color: 75 5 236 240 0 0 0
color: 95 0 0 0

http://oi39.tinypic.com/11c42rq.jpg

slickdawg
10-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Nice, think I'll try it out!

TheRef
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Nice, think I'll try it out!

Anytime. I got it from the GRLevelX Owner's forum.

bully99
10-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Ref, yeah I thought that was interesting about Bastardis son thinking of coming to State when Penn State is maybe top weather school in the country.

Don't know where you're from but, what do you and others think about the criticism of States meteorological school. You guys don't have to take calculus and a lot of elitist weather people slam your weather department.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Ref, yeah I thought that was interesting about Bastardis son thinking of coming to State when Penn State is maybe top weather school in the country.

Don't know where you're from but, what do you and others think about the criticism of States meteorological school. You guys don't have to take calculus and a lot of elitist weather people slam your weather department.

We don't have to take Calculus? Where did you read that? I have to take Cal I,II,III and Partial Differential Equations. So whoever told you that we didn't have to take Calculus is lying their butts off. And if they'd like to say that we're not good Meteorologists, we can just show them are WxChallenge Championship trophies. We are getting more respect as our professors do more and more breakthroughs in studies. One of our professors is conducting research right now that is relating weather conditions to suicides using US Military Academy data. Also, after the Moore, OK tornado he was interviewed by various news agencies about his tornado research. I think the thoughts of MSU's program are turning for the better. Also, 70% of all TV Meteorologists have a degree from Mississippi State so obviously we're good enough for us to be all over the nation.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Has this thread really gone 3 pages? Interesting.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Has this thread really gone 3 pages? Interesting.

Haha...give me a platform and I will talk weather until my hands fall off.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Haha...give me a platform and I will talk weather until my hands fall off.

I love the info.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 08:20 PM
I love the info.

Anything you would like to know?

bully99
10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Ref, I think you guys do a great job, buy I have read criticism of States weather school. It might be the internet courses and the broadcast certificate of meteorology. Isn't it true that many of the TV weather people never step foot on campus? They are internet trained.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Ref, I think you guys do a great job, buy I have read criticism of States weather school. It might be the internet courses and the broadcast certificate of meteorology. Isn't it true that many of the TV weather people never step foot on campus? They are internet trained.

We do have a distance learning program. I don't think there is a distance learning broadcast program. I can't be sure though. We are trying to move away from the certificate program simply because of the hassle that is caused from having to keep up with students 5-years after "graduation" in order to prove that the certificate program qualifies for federal student loans. I don't know the statistics on our program as far as distance learning v. in-class.

cheewgumm
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
DON'T DO IT!!!!

TheRef
10-16-2013, 09:40 PM
DON'T DO IT!!!!

Say whaaaaaa?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mcfly-huh.gif

cheewgumm
10-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm kidding.... Relax. Do whatever you want..your life.

TheRef
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm kidding.... Relax. Do whatever you want..your life.

I'm so confused right now.....so so confused.