PDA

View Full Version : I Come in Peace (Texas A&M Aggie)

txaggie17
10-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Hello Bulldogs,

Some friends and myself are traveling from Texas to Starkville for the game next weekend. We are staying about an hour outside of Starkville, then will make the rest of the drive on Saturday.

I was hoping to see if yall had any suggestions on best places to eat, things to do, where to park, or any other suggestions to get the best gameday experience we can find while visiting.

Appreciate yalls help. Hoping for a great game and good luck to yall this week against LSU!

starkvegasdawg
10-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Parking - I'd recommend parking downtown at the Starkville Daily News and catching the shuttle. Can be a bit of a wait to catch it back fo your car but it is what it is. Drops you off 100 yards from the stadium.

Food...
For bbq there's little dooey and 1883 smokehouse
Oby's is a good place for Cajun subs and red beans and rice.
More upscale is the Veranda and Restaurant Tyler, but they have never been my favorites. Many on here will disagree.
For burgers there is mugshots and bulldog burger.
I also like Central Station Grill and Harvey's.
All of these places will be jam packed on gameday so arrive EARLY or be content waiting in line.

civildawg
10-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Two brothers, veranda, or restaurant Tyler to eat. Stromboli?s for pizza, get the chicken ranchero.

Me and the poster above must have completely different tastes because the grill, little dooey, and obys are some of my least favorite food in Starkville

Jack Lambert
10-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Night Game with 60K cowbells. Sight to see and hear. I heard your band was coming. I hope so.

DownwardDawg
10-19-2018, 03:28 PM
You came to the right board. Plenty others will give you great info. I just want to add that you will be surprised and really enjoy your visit. Our reputation is still based on people that visited in the 1980’s. While we certainly don’t have an aTm stadium, you’re gonna enjoy everything about the game day experience and you’ll love our fans. Other than getting your feelings hurt about the game outcome, I hope you have a great weekend!!!!

NWADAWG
10-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Is Christy's burgers still open? It was last time I came in for a game. It is not a nice place but dang good burgers. My family griped about having to eat at such a crap hole right up to the point we got our food....then silence.

Dawg61
10-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Veranda for food & drinks.

DawgFromOxford
10-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Parking: Depending on how well your legs work, I'd recommend parking in the Church of Christ parking lot right off of campus. Its free to park there and about a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium.

Food: Two Brother's or Petty's have great BBQ (I personally prefer Pettys). Stromboli's if you want pizza. Restaurant Tyler, Veranda, Harveys or The Grill is going to be your fancier southern dining options. Oby's has good cajun food. Bulldog Burger/Mugshots/Christy's if you want a good burger (can't go wrong with any of them). Go to Starkville Cafe or City bagel if you'll be in town for breakfast. Bops has great dessert.

Things to do: Go checkout the tailgating in The Junction before the game. Not sure of your age, but all of the students go to The Cotton District after the game. It's the local bar scene in town.

Side note: You'll have to go through metal detectors before entering the game. Wait times seem to vary depending on who you ask on this board. My advice would be to go get in line an hour or so before kickoff. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes but some people will tell you they had to wait 45. If the line you are in is at a complete standstill I would suggest going to a different gate. The metal detectors also mean no pocket knives or metal flasks so leave those behind.

Enjoy your time while in Starkville and at Davis Wade. Hail State!

Jack Lambert
10-19-2018, 04:07 PM
I say park down town and walk to campus. You will walk through the Cotton District. Bars and Restaurants. It's about a mile walk from Stadium to Regions bank down town. The Cotton District is about the half way point.

RocketDawg
10-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Parking: Depending on how well your legs work, I'd recommend parking in the Church of Christ parking lot right off of campus. Its free to park there and about a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium.

Food: Two Brother's or Petty's have great BBQ (I personally prefer Pettys). Stromboli's if you want pizza. Restaurant Tyler, Veranda, Harveys or The Grill is going to be your fancier southern dining options. Oby's has good cajun food. Bulldog Burger/Mugshots/Christy's if you want a good burger (can't go wrong with any of them). Go to Starkville Cafe or City bagel if you'll be in town for breakfast. Bops has great dessert.

Things to do: Go checkout the tailgating in The Junction before the game. Not sure of your age, but all of the students go to The Cotton District after the game. It's the local bar scene in town.

Side note: You'll have to go through metal detectors before entering the game. Wait times seem to vary depending on who you ask on this board. My advice would be to go get in line an hour or so before kickoff. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes but some people will tell you they had to wait 45. If the line you are in is at a complete standstill I would suggest going to a different gate. The metal detectors also mean no pocket knives or metal flasks so leave those behind.

Enjoy your time while in Starkville and at Davis Wade. Hail State!

It's actually worse than TSA at the airport. You have to put your cell phone and car keys/fobs in a bowl (the same), but ... you have to RAISE your hands above your head when you walk through the metal detector. And the gates are manned by inexperienced students. I've never seen that requirement anywhere else, and I don't understand the need. And I'm not joking, unless they've changed the policy since the last home game.

Where are you staying that's an hour away? Are you guys driving over from Texas?

msudawglb
10-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Hello Bulldogs,

Some friends and myself are traveling from Texas to Starkville for the game next weekend. We are staying about an hour outside of Starkville, then will make the rest of the drive on Saturday.

I was hoping to see if yall had any suggestions on best places to eat, things to do, where to park, or any other suggestions to get the best gameday experience we can find while visiting.

Appreciate yalls help. Hoping for a great game and good luck to yall this week against LSU!

To get the full experience make sure to stop by Barnes & Nobles and buy a cowbell so you can joyously ring while your team has the ball. You know, show your support and all. ;)

Red Sox Dawg
10-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Wings from Two Brothers. #1

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2018, 05:15 PM
It's actually worse than TSA at the airport. You have to put your cell phone and car keys/fobs in a bowl (the same), but ... you have to RAISE your hands above your head when you walk through the metal detector. And the gates are manned by inexperienced students. I've never seen that requirement anywhere else, and I don't understand the need. And I'm not joking, unless they've changed the policy since the last home game.

Where are you staying that's an hour away? Are you guys driving over from Texas?

It's not worse than TSA, sheesh.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Wings from Two Brothers. #1

The single best dish in Starkville.

lawdawg
10-19-2018, 05:32 PM
I say park down town and walk to campus. You will walk through the Cotton District. Bars and Restaurants. It's about a mile walk from Stadium to Regions bank down town. The Cotton District is about the half way point.

Arrive in town at like 10. Park downtown and walk to one of the Cotton District area spots for an early lunch - Stromboli's, Dooey's, Bulldog Burger, Two Brothers. Then walk to campus. Hit the bookstore, the junction, the union, the drill field, then back for the game. Plenty of time to take it all in.

Mobile Bay
10-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Parking - I'd recommend parking downtown at the Starkville Daily News and catching the shuttle. Can be a bit of a wait to catch it back fo your car but it is what it is. Drops you off 100 yards from the stadium.

Food...
More upscale is the Veranda and Restaurant Tyler, but they have never been my favorites. Many on here will disagree.
All of these places will be jam packed on gameday so arrive EARLY or be content waiting in line.

For BBQ in Starkville there is only Petty's and that is only because Roosevelt Nichols passed. We miss you Sonny.

TUSK
10-19-2018, 06:15 PM
I’m only 45 minutes from Vegas. Feel free to PM me for all of your meth, cat whiskey or animal husbandry needs.

BulldogBear
10-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Night Game with 60K cowbells. Sight to see and hear. I heard your band was coming. I hope so.

Me too Jack. I went to the game is College Station last season and loved the experience.

For food I always suggest Two Brothers. It's small though so get their early or wait for a table. There are some outside so maybe the weather won't be too bad.

Oh, and you can wear your hat in the Student Union! I loved how TAMU Union is considered a memorial to all Aggies KIA. It was sobering and meaningful.

dawgday166
10-19-2018, 06:35 PM
I’m only 45 minutes from Vegas. Feel free to PM me for all of your meth, cat whiskey or animal husbandry needs.

You gotta take care of our guests now so ... significant discounts should be in effect eh? ***

Dawgowar
10-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Um, did you forget, you are judging in the Miss Teen Denture Wearer of Middle Alabama pageant? Your light green tux is ready for pick-up.

Pit Bull
10-19-2018, 08:27 PM

Food...

Above is a good plan.....should be plenty of parking downtown near Starkville Daily News....then shuttle right on into the stadium. I've always liked Obys and Mugshots....cant go wrong with either.....and at student union on campus, the food courts give you a nice choice of different foods. Be sure to take a look inside the old Cafeteria near the Union.....great piece of architechture to behold....you can eat there too, but it is sort of plain American foods, not bad though. Bring ear plugs in case the bells get a bit too loud. Have fun!

BeardoMSU
10-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Hello Bulldogs,

Pretty much everything has been covered pretty well. However, one Starkville tradition you absolutely must partake in, is putting 2 ounces of Ipecac in your beverage of choice right before you go into the stadium.**

starkvegasdawg
10-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Pretty much everything has been covered pretty well. However, one Starkville tradition you absolutely must partake in, is putting 2 ounces of Ipecac in your beverage of choice right before you go into the stadium.**

Or that liquid straight from the pit of hell I had to drink last night for my colonoscopy this morning. That is an evil evil elixir.

BeardoMSU
10-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Or that liquid straight from the pit of hell I had to drink last night for my colonoscopy this morning. That is an evil evil elixir.

Mojito?***

WesternSkyDawg
10-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Good suggestions in here, but for Sunday brunch, gotta go with Central Station Grill starting at 10:00. Good bloodys, $2 if straight, or a bloody bar if you want.

PS: don?t judge Vegas by whatever one-night-minimum place you?re staying at Sat night! Should be okay if no ladies in tow, but sub-par at best.

Liverpooldawg
10-20-2018, 12:17 AM
My favorites to eat at are Two Brothers and Tyler. Mugshots, Obie's, and Bulldog Burger aren't bad. Skip the Little Dooey. Get to campus early and check out the US Grant Presidential Library and the Lincolnalia collection. They are on the top floor of the Mitchell Memorial Library. The Templeton Music Museum on the same floor is pretty cool too.

Cowbell
10-20-2018, 12:18 AM
Aggie, where do you call home? I live in North TX and have an Aggie grad as a business partner. Pulling for you guys this weekend so take care of business.
You will not regret taking the trip, win or lose. The hospitality, food, and down to earth feel are second to none. Good advice already laid out for you. Obys and Veranda or just try’s. Anthony’s down the road in West Point is by far the best in my opinion and is a great place to have dinner on Friday night before game day. (Makes reservations)

Drewbowski
10-20-2018, 08:12 AM
where are you staying before the game?

tcdog70
10-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Veranda for food & drinks.

My Son is the Chef .

txaggie17
10-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Wow. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We’re definitely excited to head out there next weekend. To answer some of yalls questions and give a little backstory:

It’s 6 of us coming for the game. We are all 23 and graduated from A&M last year. Now that we’re graduated, we all have season tickets for A&M football, and we’re going to start working our way around to all the different SEC stadiums when the ags are playing there. Starkville will actually be our first away trip. We’re planning to head out to the game at Clemson next year as that will be our one chance to see the Aggies play there.

For next weekend, we are staying in Ridgeland,MS which is on our way from Fort Worth to Starkville. We’ll drive and stay there Friday, get up, drive the 2 more hours to Starkville to enjoy gameday, then after the game, drive back to Ridgeland, stay the night, and come on home Sunday. We were hoping to stay near Starkville, but since prices are more expensive there with it being a game weekend, and us just starting our working careers, it’d be better for us to go cheaper and stay further out.

Again, I appreciate yalls responses and suggestions. If y’all ever come out to College Station for a game, I’d be happy to give recommendations for gameday. Can’t wait for next weekend to be here!

Dawgbite
10-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Oh, one more thing, pay attention to Twitter this week and you will find out if you need to wear Maroon or White!****

dawgoneyall
10-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Wow. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We?re definitely excited to head out there next weekend. To answer some of yalls questions and give a little backstory:

It?s 6 of us coming for the game. We are all 23 and graduated from A&M last year. Now that we?re graduated, we all have season tickets for A&M football, and we?re going to start working our way around to all the different SEC stadiums when the ags are playing there. Starkville will actually be our first away trip. We?re planning to head out to the game at Clemson next year as that will be our one chance to see the Aggies play there.

For next weekend, we are staying in Ridgeland,MS which is on our way from Fort Worth to Starkville. We?ll drive and stay there Friday, get up, drive the 2 more hours to Starkville to enjoy gameday, then after the game, drive back to Ridgeland, stay the night, and come on home Sunday. We were hoping to stay near Starkville, but since prices are more expensive there with it being a game weekend, and us just starting our working careers, it?d be better for us to go cheaper and stay further out.

Again, I appreciate yalls responses and suggestions. If y?all ever come out to College Station for a game, I?d be happy to give recommendations for gameday. Can?t wait for next weekend to be here!

You are about 2 hours away

Pit Bull
10-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Aggies....sorry about the hotel prices. Us MSU out of towners experience the same thing......price gouging on football weekends. Wish we could do something about it, but just have to stay further out like you guys are doing. I wish the Starkville City Council could put a reasonable cap on hotel prices, but I doubt it will ever happen.

RocketDawg
10-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Wow. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We’re definitely excited to head out there next weekend. To answer some of yalls questions and give a little backstory:

It’s 6 of us coming for the game. We are all 23 and graduated from A&M last year. Now that we’re graduated, we all have season tickets for A&M football, and we’re going to start working our way around to all the different SEC stadiums when the ags are playing there. Starkville will actually be our first away trip. We’re planning to head out to the game at Clemson next year as that will be our one chance to see the Aggies play there.

For next weekend, we are staying in Ridgeland,MS which is on our way from Fort Worth to Starkville. We’ll drive and stay there Friday, get up, drive the 2 more hours to Starkville to enjoy gameday, then after the game, drive back to Ridgeland, stay the night, and come on home Sunday. We were hoping to stay near Starkville, but since prices are more expensive there with it being a game weekend, and us just starting our working careers, it’d be better for us to go cheaper and stay further out.

Again, I appreciate yalls responses and suggestions. If y’all ever come out to College Station for a game, I’d be happy to give recommendations for gameday. Can’t wait for next weekend to be here!

If you're willing to go out of your way a little, try the Quality Inn in Columbus. It's 20 or so miles to the east, is not the Ritz Carlton, but isn't all that bad either. You should be able to get a decent price there.

Commercecomet24
10-20-2018, 05:42 PM
If you're willing to go out of your way a little, try the Quality Inn in Columbus. It's 20 or so miles to the east, is not the Ritz Carlton, but isn't all that bad either. You should be able to get a decent price there.

I've stayed at that quality inn many many times. Not bad at all and staff takes care of you pretty good.

txaggie17
10-25-2018, 10:38 AM
One last question for yall, i like to get a t-shirt for the team whose town we go into. Any specific places to go shopping for a MSST t-shirt in Starkville? I like to stick with the team issued apparel which would be adidas in yalls case.

Also, for the guy that asked, i can confirm, our band is coming to perform at half.

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 10:41 AM
The campus bookstore (Barnes & Noble) is right next to the stadium. That's your best bet for official gear. The Lodge on HWY 12 is good too.

Dawgbite
10-25-2018, 11:05 AM
I figure the MOOR COWBELL T shirts are at least half off by now. In a few years they will be cherished collector items like the MAROON IS ALL THAT MATTERS shirts!

DownwardDawg
10-25-2018, 11:43 AM
I figure the MOOR COWBELL T shirts are at least half off by now. In a few years they will be cherished collector items like the MAROON IS ALL THAT MATTERS shirts!

Hahahaha!!!!

DawgFromOxford
10-25-2018, 12:44 PM
One last question for yall, i like to get a t-shirt for the team whose town we go into. Any specific places to go shopping for a MSST t-shirt in Starkville? I like to stick with the team issued apparel which would be adidas in yalls case.

Also, for the guy that asked, i can confirm, our band is coming to perform at half.

You can find the best selection at The Lodge. Barnes and Noble on campus would probably be most convenient because you are already on campus, but is generally more expensive. Campus Bookmart right off campus also has a decent selection in their store down stairs.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Based on what I've seen from the Moorhead era so far, you might consider getting a women's basketball shirt.

Liverpooldawg
10-25-2018, 06:46 PM
You can find the best selection at The Lodge. Barnes and Noble on campus would probably be most convenient because you are already on campus, but is generally more expensive. Campus Bookmart right off campus also has a decent selection in their store down stairs.

Agree the Lodge e has a wider selection, but he was wanting "official" stuff. That's the on campus bookstore hands down.