PDA

View Full Version : Y?all see the NBA G league announcement?

Irondawg
10-18-2018, 12:04 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

Interesting

BeardoMSU
10-18-2018, 12:05 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

Interesting

Interesting, indeed. It's probably a good route, tbh....especially for those kids who have zero desire to be a "college student" for a year. This way they can just avoid the charade.

thf24
10-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Good move for everyone. The NBA keeps its one year evaluation period, the G-League improves as a product, and college basketball is relieved of some of the multi-faceted instability of the one-and-done era.

Everyone except Lavar Ball... any potential his terrible league had just got crushed.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Now, if the NCAA will just make the draft eligibility in basketball just like it is in baseball, that would be huge too.

Dawg61
10-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Oh the NBA actually wants to have somewhat of a functioning minor league system now. Interesting. It's still pitifully short of the minor league system for baseball though despite the NBA having about 60% of the same amount of pro players as MLB has but with over 5,000 less minor league spots.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2018, 12:40 PM
I think basketball should go the same route as baseball. Either go out of high school and then maybe go into the G League similar to the minor leagues or stay for 3 years.

This gives guys a better alternative to overseas for a year. A lot of guys wouldn't go to China for a year when they could go to UK and stay in the US and probably get paid under the table almost as much.

Martianlander
10-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Rough on Kentucky-not that there is anything wrong with that.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Honestly it will trickle backwards. UK will just take our guys and then we will take UMs and eventually UM takes Northeast MS Juco players.

BB30
10-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Oh the NBA actually wants to have somewhat of a functioning minor league system now. Interesting. It's still pitifully short of the minor league system for baseball though despite the NBA having about 60% of the same amount of pro players as MLB has but with over 5,000 less minor league spots.

I think baseball takes a tad more development. You can be a stud athlete in basketball and make the transition fairly quick because it is athlete on athlete.

It takes time no matter how athletic you are to go from seeing 80 mph fastballs in high school and poor breaking balls to 95 mph fastballs and 80 mph+ breaking balls that are painting corners.

Dawg61
10-18-2018, 01:39 PM
I think baseball takes a tad more development. You can be a stud athlete in basketball and make the transition fairly quick because it is athlete on athlete.

It takes time no matter how athletic you are to go from seeing 80 mph fastballs in high school and poor breaking balls to 95 mph fastballs and 80 mph+ breaking balls that are painting corners.

I certainly agree with this I just think it's shitty how NBA treats players that aren't 1st round picks. If you look at a MLB roster it has 25 players and there's 30 teams in the MLB. NBA roster is 15 players and there's also 30 NBA teams. The problem is that there's over 5,000 more minor leagues jobs for baseball players than there is for basketball players. I agree basketball doesn't take years to develop but there should be less of a gap in amount of jobs between the two sports somehow.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Prolly pays about the same....

BeardoMSU
10-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Prolly pays about the same....

Zing!

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2018, 02:16 PM
I certainly agree with this I just think it's shitty how NBA treats players that aren't 1st round picks. If you look at a MLB roster it has 25 players and there's 30 teams in the MLB. NBA roster is 15 players and there's also 30 NBA teams. The problem is that there's over 5,000 more minor leagues jobs for baseball players than there is for basketball players. I agree basketball doesn't take years to develop but there should be less of a gap in amount of jobs between the two sports somehow.

I think the NBA actually pays better. You have marginal guys making $5 - 10 Mil per year. Also, if the G League is paying $125k then that is more than most minor league players trying to make MLB.

Dawg61
10-18-2018, 03:01 PM
I think the NBA actually pays better. You have marginal guys making $5 - 10 Mil per year. Also, if the G League is paying $125k then that is more than most minor league players trying to make MLB.

NBA does pay better. For the ones actually in the league. I'm talking about the casualties though that aren't in the league and aren't in the very limited 200 spots in the G-League. NBA doesn't pay anything for them or try to setup a functional league for them at all. I doubt only a handful of G League players will get $125k each year. I think that's just for players that will be obvious lottery picks. I just think it's shitty that a player like Jamont Gordon can declare early, not get drafted and then suddenly have to live in Russia to play basketball and earn a living. Now they have fixed this and a player like this would be able to return for their senior year but still. Why does a good college player have to go all the way to Russia to make a living once they are out of college eligibility?

smootness
10-18-2018, 03:10 PM

I still don't see many of the top guys going this route. College basketball is and always will be infinitely more popular than the G-League, so it gets you far less exposure than going to college. And exposure = brand-building. Going to college for a year has the benefit of turning you into a star before entering the league.

Look where guys like Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, Trae Young, KAT, Ben Simmons, Lonzo Ball, etc. entered the league with an established name and brand already. Going the G-League route would have seriously hampered that, even if they were all still top picks.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-18-2018, 03:24 PM
I don't think $125k is going to be enough to have a ton of these kids running to the G Leage. Maybe 2-3 a year but the perceived stars coming in as freshmen will still go to college imo.

fishwater99
10-18-2018, 04:41 PM
"G League will be selective with the players they look to bring into the program -- with a strong emphasis on character and readiness to join a pro league."

"The NBA is expected to lower its age limit in time for the 2022 draft and allow high school players who have graduated to go straight to the NBA without spending a year in college or the G League, but league sources say a venture of this nature may end up being a model that is explored as a potential compromise, depending on how things play out over the next three years."

Pit Bull
10-18-2018, 05:17 PM
Lil' brother Ball and his two UCLA buddies better be damn glad Trump had a tight relationship with China's Xi Jinping back when that happened. China don't tolerate shop lifting one bit. All 3 of them were staring at 10 years in China's finest prisons. Had this happened recently, all 3 of them would be in prison now as bargaining chips against the U.S. in their tariff wars! I wonder if any of those boyz realize how lucky they were?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Lil' brother Ball and his two UCLA buddies better be damn glad Trump had a tight relationship with China's Xi Jinping back when that happened. China don't tolerate shop lifting one bit. All 3 of them were staring at 10 years in China's finest prisons. Had this happened recently, all 3 of them would be in prison now as bargaining chips against the U.S. in their tariff wars! I wonder if any of those boyz realize how lucky they were?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/2/17072596/donald-trump-lavar-ball-liangelo-ball-china-jail-arrested

Dawg61
10-18-2018, 10:15 PM
I heard Trump was the main reason China built the wall too.

Liverpooldawg
10-18-2018, 10:23 PM
All sports need to be like baseball. You can go straight pro, but if you go the college route you have to stay 3 years. The declaration for the draft needs to be well before college signing day.

ckDOG
10-18-2018, 11:43 PM
If I'm a one and done player I'm going to a UK, KU, UNC, Duke, etc and I'm going to dominate 18-21 year old scrubs and build my draft status. I'm not taking 125 a year to get exposed by seasoned 25 year olds trying to get back into the league. Excel against lesser talent in college and make GMs give you lottery money on potential.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-19-2018, 06:53 AM
If I'm a one and done player I'm going to a UK, KU, UNC, Duke, etc and I'm going to dominate 18-21 year old scrubs and build my draft status. I'm not taking 125 a year to get exposed by seasoned 25 year olds trying to get back into the league. Excel against lesser talent in college and make GMs give you lottery money on potential.

Winner

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2018, 08:05 AM
If I'm a one and done player I'm going to a UK, KU, UNC, Duke, etc still get $125k and I'm going to dominate 18-21 year old scrubs and build my draft status. I'm not taking 125 a year to get exposed by seasoned 25 year olds trying to get back into the league. Excel against lesser talent in college and make GMs give you lottery money on potential.

fify