PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half ull/wk

Raytoraid83
10-15-2013, 09:25 PM
This remind anybody of fl/msu. 2 passes this half by the fighting Huds, starting to wear down Petrino.

engie
10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
NICE adjustments by Hudspeth on both sides of the ball. They got dominated in the first half -- but have totally controlled the 3rd quarter. They are run first -- with a few deep shots mixed in...

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 09:27 PM
NICE adjustments by Hudspeth on both sides of the ball. They got dominated in the first half -- but have totally controlled the 3rd quarter. They are run first -- with a few deep shots mixed in...

What is that "a" word you just used?*

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Totally agree. Hud has shown me something from 1st half to 2nd.

Raytoraid83
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
A second half adjustment??? Those exist in football?!?

civildawg
10-15-2013, 09:31 PM
It really is amazing what a half time adjustment can do to a team

Op4isabitch
10-15-2013, 09:32 PM
A few familiar names:

Tig Barksdale......former black bear
Terrance Broadway....former Houston QB / wanted to come here.
Stephen Brauchle....brother of the vegetable...damn I wish we still had him here.

Op4isabitch
10-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah imagine that......putting a 215lb QB under center and a QB sneak for a TD.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:35 PM
While hud has coached his team into the lead, ull has had some really dumb penalties. Team discipline could be an issue under hud

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 09:36 PM
It's amazing what halftime adjustments can do. It ain't over yet. I bet Petrino makes adjustments in the 4th. Crazy huh!?!?

Raytoraid83
10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
While hud has coached his team into the lead, ull has had some really dumb penalties. Team discipline could be an issue under hud

yea that late hit cost them, that could've sealed the game if the pick 6 stood

engie
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
ULL is bringing the heat in the second half too. Game would be over if not for that stupid roughing the passer penalty...

engie
10-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Andrews will go under the radar in the NFL draft like a bunch of Sun Belt guys before and probably have a long career in the league. Just a tremendous runner. NO ONE stops that guy...

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Broadway cannot throw. He's terrible.

Op4isabitch
10-15-2013, 09:53 PM
That was pretty!

msstate7
Broadway cannot throw. He's terrible.

Right on cue...

TopDog58
We need Hud now.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
We need Hud now.

I'm impressed

Op4isabitch
10-15-2013, 09:56 PM
One thing I will say, HUD sure acts like he wants to be there! No chewing on his play card or looking bewildered....he is pumping his fist talking with his players and showing passion. I like that better than what we have seen on our sidelines lately.

Meanwhile Bobby is smelling his dipping fingers again. I guess they smell like admin assistant. : )

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Really like the killer instinct by hud there. Ull's been running at will so that play was perfect. Don't think Mullen goes for the throat there

BHildreth3
10-15-2013, 09:58 PM
I wonder who's going to hire HUD in Dec...

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:59 PM
We need Hud now.

There's only 2 ways I can see this happening this year:

1. We really get hot and win 8-10 games. Someone snatches Dan from us.

2. We lose out.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Right on cue...
Hahaha!!! I laughed. That was awesome. It was really a good throw too. First one all night I think.

Hud is impressive as usual. His team plays very hard.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Let's see if they go prevent defense here...

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 10:01 PM
I wonder who's going to hire HUD in Dec...

Someone that we will not be able to take him from.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:01 PM
AND right on que -- there it is. And as usual, it is preventing nothing.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Someone that we will not be able to take him from.

Like who?

msstate7
10-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Like who?

I could see Baylor get him if briles goes to texas.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Like who?

I don't know shit. That's just our luck. He'll end up with a great job and we'll lose/fire Dan a year later and will be at Scott's mercy.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM

I think we could steal him from Baylor.

chef dixon
10-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Salivating over a Tuesday night Sun Belt clash of the titans. The grass truly is always greener.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
I think we could steal him from Baylor.

Maybe bc of miss ties, but Baylor is a pretty good job these days

State82
It really is amazing what a half time adjustment can do to a team

I thought those called for an unsportsmanlike conduct flag. Who knew?

engie

We will take him from Baylor...

msstate7
10-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Engie, I know you and I both wanna keep Mullen, but how much pressure would a 10-win season by hud put on Dan? Do you think a decision could be made on Dan bc of hud having great success?

Dannyripms
10-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Ok let's all tweet Scott right now and say we want hud

DownwardDawg
10-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Broadway did a good job in the 4th quarter. He made plays.

engie
10-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Do you think a decision could be made on Dan bc of hud having great success?

Yes. And have heard as much from people that usually know such things... Hud has our money people on his side already -- and they are the ones that make these types of decisions in reality. If he wins 10 or 11 games, it's going to get really, really interesting...

SignalToNoise
10-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Interesting info, engie. Not sure how I feel about it honestly.

Personally I'm not ready to give up on Mullen but not sure how long you wait until you pull the trigger.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Interesting info, engie. Not sure how I feel about it honestly.

Personally I'm not ready to give up on Mullen but not sure how long you wait until you pull the trigger.

I think there's 3 factors in play:

1. How Dan does obviously

2. How well hud does.

3. How well freeze finishes. If OM finishes strong and beats us in the egg bowl, Dan could be in trouble

engie
10-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I think there's 3 factors in play:

1. How Dan does obviously

2. How well hud does.

3. How well freeze finishes. If OM finishes strong and beats us in the egg bowl, Dan could be in trouble

I think "IF" Mullen is out, it is handled quietly with grace all around, much like we've handled all of our assistant coach "firings" under Mullen. He's still a warm name in coaching -- particularly in the northeast. Good chance a couple B1G and ACC schools are looking for a coach this year, where he would probably be pretty high on a list... and let's face it, those jobs aren't in the SEC -- but nationally -- are often considered upgrades from Mississippi State. I thought the low buyout was idiotic at the time of the contract($1.4mil), but it's looking really smart at this point. We could and probably would even quietly pay the buyout...

Hud is playing his cards just right on this. He's stepped away from the "Mississippi State is my dream job" approach a bit -- presumably for leverage in order to make us fear the possibility of permanently missing on him. I can't blame him -- that's what I would do as well.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Can you imagine if the ULL/WKU game had been on Saturday night right after our game? And what if we had lost. It's amazing how different the "Mullen's our best ever, we aren't NEAR getting rid of him" crowd would be talking right now had that guy not dropped the pass of 4th down for BGSU.

When you're MSU, you've got to be forward thinking. Especially if you see potential writing on the wall.

It will be very interesting to see how everything plays out over the next 7-8 weeks with our team, ULL, OM, and the rest of the SEC.

engie
10-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Looking at the schedule, it's a damn good chance that Hud wins out if they win at Arky State next Tuesday...

10-2 regular season awaiting a(probably decent) bowl invite in year 3... to upend himself for the previous two best years in ULL history...

msstate7
10-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Looking at the schedule, it's a damn good chance that Hud wins out if they win at Arky State next Tuesday...

10-2 regular season awaiting a(probably decent) bowl invite in year 3... to upend himself for the previous two best years in ULL history...

If he does that, Dan better get a bowl. For the record, I think we get it done. If we fail to do so, I'd probably be ready for hud

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 11:26 PM
If he does that, Dan better get a bowl. For the record, I think we get it done. If we fail to do so, I'd probably be ready for hud

We will only win 5 in my opinion. What will REALLY be interesting is if we only win 5 but the 5th win is Ole miss. Then what?

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 06:47 AM
We will only win 5 in my opinion. What will REALLY be interesting is if we only win 5 but the 5th win is Ole miss. Then what?

That 5th win is gonna be tough to come by. We would have to win in the state of Arkansas, something we've never done, or beat ole miss and that's gonna be tough.

BHildreth3
10-16-2013, 07:51 AM
i want to ask this of you guys. Compare the 2 guys. What has Mullen really done that makes him better than Hudspeth?

Hudspeth has proven he can motivate, he's won everywhere he's been, he's run different offenses and makes sure that the offense of the night is based off of current personnel and what works best for the team, he's an established relentless recruiter, it's obvious he doesn't play scared or conservative, he's well received by HS coaches in Mississippi. He's gotten better each year at ULL- he's developed players. Honestly -i just don't see the big difference between keeping Mullen or going with Hudspeth. The reason i would do it now is b/c on top of all those positives, the guy wants to be our Head Coach - not b/c he wants 2.0 million plus and to coach in the SEC - it's because he's always zero'd in on our JOB - and 2 solid MS recruiting coaches would follow - David Saunders and possibly Steve Campbell. If Mullen loses to a craptastic Arkansas team and if Freeze beats us, Mullen has to go. I wouldn't say that if a home grown Hudspeth wasn't around. But he is and it's time to be proactive and aggressive and gamble on the decision after an Egg Bowl loss. The guy is currently in the top 20 in WINS for active coaches - (88-31 and 22-10 at Louisiana)

'Merica Dawg
10-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Lately, I have been seeing more writers say we beat Kentucky and lose the rest... leaving us with a 4-8 record. The more I think about it, the more it seems VERY REALISTIC.

TrapGame
10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Lately, I have been seeing more writers say we beat Kentucky and lose the rest... leaving us with a 4-8 record. The more I think about it, the more it seems VERY REALISTIC.

If this turns out to be the case then I would seriously entertain the idea of bringing in Hud. Especially if a first year Arkansas coach schools Mullen, a terrible A&M D keeps us out of the end zone and the retarded beaver wins number #2 in Starkvegas.

smootness
10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
i want to ask this of you guys. Compare the 2 guys. What has Mullen really done that makes him better than Hudspeth?

He's won nine games....at Mississippi State. With Chris Relf at QB in a very difficult SEC. We obviously can't prove who is better at this point because they haven't both coached at State, but let's not act as though Mullen himself doesn't have a lot of positives. I know we're all disappointed right now, and there's a chance things don't pick up and we have to make a change, but there will be lulls along the way when you are Mississippi State. This is not 'poor ol' State', it's just a fact. Obviously that doesn't mean you just keep the coach forever and whatever happens happens; but it does mean you can't fire a coach just because it isn't a constant positive progression in record so that you can hire a guy who hasn't proven anything on this level yet.

I think we need to give him a chance to get back to what he does on offense...yes, he could have gone to Dak fully at this point already, but he's in a tough situation; we have Tyler Russell, who is very talented and has been good for our program, and he is a senior. It's just tough for any coach to bench a guy like that.

Let him bring Dak in, get back to a power run game, and see what happens.

I know there are some who really like Hudspeth and are afraid that if we wait, we'll forever miss on him. But the bottom line is, we just don't know what he would do in the SEC, and we already know Mullen can have a lot of success here. I know there's been talk of this being Hudspeth's 'dream job', but he isn't an alum. I can just about promise you that if he had success and an elite program came calling, he would at least listen to them and would probably be gone. Obviously I would love to have the kind of success it would take for an elite program to take our coach, but I'm just saying that it isn't as though he would just stay here forever no matter what once he came. FWIW, I think the same of Freeze, too.

msstate7
10-16-2013, 09:08 AM
He's won nine games....at Mississippi State. With Chris Relf at QB in a very difficult SEC. We obviously can't prove who is better at this point because they haven't both coached at State, but let's not act as though Mullen himself doesn't have a lot of positives. I know we're all disappointed right now, and there's a chance things don't pick up and we have to make a change, but there will be lulls along the way when you are Mississippi State. This is not 'poor ol' State', it's just a fact. Obviously that doesn't mean you just keep the coach forever and whatever happens happens; but it does mean you can't fire a coach just because it isn't a constant positive progression in record so that you can hire a guy who hasn't proven anything on this level yet.

I think we need to give him a chance to get back to what he does on offense...yes, he could have gone to Dak fully at this point already, but he's in a tough situation; we have Tyler Russell, who is very talented and has been good for our program, and he is a senior. It's just tough for any coach to bench a guy like that.

I know there are some who really like Hudspeth and are afraid that if we wait, we'll forever miss on him. But the bottom line is, we just don't know what he would do in the SEC, and we already know Mullen can have a lot of success here. I know there's been talk of this being Hudspeth's 'dream job', but he isn't an alum. I can just about promise you that if he had success and an elite program came calling, he would at least listen to them and would probably be gone. Obviously I would love to have the kind of success it would take for an elite program to take our coach, but I'm just saying that it isn't as though he would just stay here forever no matter what once he came. FWIW, I think the same of Freeze, too.

I agree esp about hud and freeze listening to bigger programs. If texas was to call freeze (doubtful I know), he would leave. Hud would do the same. Programs like texas don't have built in disadvantages like us and OM. If the stars align perfect, programs like us can get 10 wins. There's no luck needed for big programs to reach and surpass that number. Coaches dream of national titles and that's what they are here -- dreams

C222
10-16-2013, 09:17 AM

That's what I don't get. Why are we assuming it's his dream job?

And why are we assuming he could do better than Mullen in the SEC? Only thing I think would be different if we had Hud is his record vs Auburn. He might have been able to win 1 or 2 that Mullen didn't. Besides that, I don't think he could have done any better.

I would love to see Hud take Relf and win 9 games.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 09:32 AM
That's what I don't get. Why are we assuming it's his dream job?

And why are we assuming he could do better than Mullen in the SEC? Only thing I think would be different if we had Hud is his record vs Auburn. He might have been able to win 1 or 2 that Mullen didn't. Besides that, I don't think he could have done any better.

I would love to see Hud take Relf and win 9 games.

1. Because he has said so.

2. How much would he have to accomplish?

I agree with some of each side of the argument/debate on this. The one thing I want to point out to you and Smoot is that you both mentioned if Hud can do as well as Mullen in the SEC. Well, considering most of Dan's wins come against OOC cupcakes and SEC cellar dwellers, I think he should be able to do that. The unknown is, can Hud avoid the turds we drop every year against a nobody, and if not, can he at least still manage to win those games. I have no doubt that if Hud took over our team, talent, and schedule next year, he would win 8+ and have probably the best recruiting year we've had since Mullen arrived (because everything is setup perfectly next year plus you would be adding the excitement of a new coach). The question is, can he sustain 6+ wins and possibly propel us to the next level over a course of multiple years.

I think everyone feels like he will be equal to or better than Mullen. Which should be enough to want him here because most feel he would have a higher ceiling. The question is, do we take the chance of being wrong, and when do we take that chance if so? It is truly a tough call, but if we lost our last 5 games, it would be tough not to pull the trigger IMO.

C222
10-16-2013, 09:48 AM
1. Because he has said so.

2. How much would he have to accomplish?

I agree with some of each side of the argument/debate on this. The one thing I want to point out to you and Smoot is that you both mentioned if Hud can do as well as Mullen in the SEC. Well, considering most of Dan's wins come against OOC cupcakes and SEC cellar dwellers, I think he should be able to do that. The unknown is, can Hud avoid the turds we drop every year against a nobody, and if not, can he at least still manage to win those games. I have no doubt that if Hud took over our team, talent, and schedule next year, he would win 8+ and have probably the best recruiting year we've had since Mullen arrived (because everything is setup perfectly next year plus you would be adding the excitement of a new coach). The question is, can he sustain 6+ wins and possibly propel us to the next level over a course of multiple years.

I think everyone feels like he will be equal to or better than Mullen. Which should be enough to want him here because most feel he would have a higher ceiling. The question is, do we take the chance of being wrong, and when do we take that chance if so? It is truly a tough call, but if we lost our last 5 games, it would be tough not to pull the trigger IMO.

Hahaha... oh okay. I am sure he meant it.

And I have no doubt Mullen will win 8+ next year.

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure Hud would take the job anymore, but if he does I don't think he'd leave for Notre Dame or anywhere else any time soon. He's got ties to AL, MS, and LA. THat's where he's going to make his bread and butter. He can recruit all three of those states well. He can get the big stars and find the diamonds in the rough. He knows talent and he knows who to trust in those states when evaluating talent. I don't think he's better at running a big time program than Dan, but I do think he'd take the talent in Starkville to a new level. Our recruiting under CDM the next few years isn't going to be pretty IMO... but even so, I still think he's the right guy for the long term. I legitimately think he can be the Frank Beamer of Mississippi State. Firing him after a 5 win season and two consecutive losses to OM could be akin to what OM did with Cut. If we pull a Cut, miss on Hud, and have Strck leading a coaching search... we're royally screwed for the next decade.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 09:57 AM

If he wins 5-6 this year I agree he can win 8+. But if he only wins 4 this year, he will not touch 8 wins next year IMO. Because he will totally lose the team if they lose the last 5 games, and we know he will lose the fan base. He may lose the fans if he wins 5....he just better hope that 5th win is ole Miss if he does.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure Hud would take the job anymore, but if he does I don't think he'd leave for Notre Dame or anywhere else any time soon. He's got ties to AL, MS, and LA. THat's where he's going to make his bread and butter. He can recruit all three of those states well. He can get the big stars and find the diamonds in the rough. He knows talent and he knows who to trust in those states when evaluating talent. I don't think he's better at running a big time program than Dan, but I do think he'd take the talent in Starkville to a new level. Our recruiting under CDM the next few years isn't going to be pretty IMO... but even so, I still think he's the right guy for the long term. I legitimately think he can be the Frank Beamer of Mississippi State. Firing him after a 5 win season and two consecutive losses to OM could be akin to what OM did with Cut. If we pull a Cut, miss on Hud, and have Strck leading a coaching search... we're royally screwed for the next decade.

Completely agree. It will be a true risk. The rewards could be great, but if he busted or didn't want to come after all, it could get bad quick.

SignalToNoise
10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
If we pull a Cut, miss on Hud, and have Strck leading a coaching search... we're royally screwed for the next decade.

Damn good point there and something I hadn't thought of.

Assuming what Engie says is true -- that our money folks support Hud and probably keep in touch with him -- I would guess we would not fire Dan without already having talked to Hud about taking the job.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Damn good point there and something I hadn't thought of.

Assuming what Engie says is true -- that our money folks support Hud and probably keep in touch with him -- I would guess we would not fire Dan without already having talked to Hud about taking the job.

True. Let's hope we wouldn't anyway

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM

^^^This^^^

DownwardDawg
10-16-2013, 10:06 AM

And I have no doubt Hud would win 8+ next year and recruit better than Mullen. Plus, Dak and Staley are perfect in Hud's system.

Raytoraid83
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure Hud would take the job anymore, but if he does I don't think he'd leave for Notre Dame or anywhere else any time soon.
If we can't get a former coach, originally from mississippi, that's now in the sun belt, to take the the job then we have bigger problems than if Mullen should stay or not. But the Stricklin part I completely agree with.

engie
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Hud beat a Bobby Petrino-coached team on the road last night as an underdog.

Mullen's "success" at MSU has lost his luster. He's got to beat somebody -- and he needed to do it yesterday.

It's basically "win 4 gimme OOC games" -- beat one team you are better than(Kentucky) -- and win 1 of 4-5 toss up games. That's what we are supposed to be "happy" with? I fully understand that it's better than our history -- but I'm seeing writing on a wall that I'm NOT liking right now. Hope I'm wrong.

In 2009, against the TOUGHEST SCHEDULE in the country, we lost 7 games by a total of 106 points, avg: 15ppg
In 2010, we lost 4 by an average of 13ppg
In 2011, we lost 6 by an average of 13ppg
In 2012, we lost 5 by an average of 21.4ppg
In 2013, we've lost 3 by an average of 18ppg

We can't finish games. Can't play for 4 quarters. Lose every "toss up" at game time now. Are getting outrecruited by our one "sure" SEC win(Kentucky). Can't score points in second halves against decent teams. Am I missing anything?

That's tough as hell to swallow when I see a favorite MSU son get his ass handed to him for a half and weather the storm -- come out in a second half -- and TOTALLY dominate Bobby Petrino on both sides of the ball with tremendous second half adjustments -- a TOTALLY foreign concept to me at this point.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Hud beat a Bobby Petrino-coached team on the road last night as an underdog.

Mullen's "success" at MSU has lost his luster. He's got to beat somebody -- and he needed to do it yesterday.

It's basically "win 4 gimme OOC games" -- beat one team you are better than(Kentucky) -- and win 1 of 4-5 toss up games. That's what we are supposed to be "happy" with? I fully understand that it's better than our history -- but I'm seeing writing on a wall that I'm NOT liking right now. Hope I'm wrong.

In 2009, against the TOUGHEST SCHEDULE in the country, we lost 7 games by a total of 106 points, avg: 15ppg
In 2010, we lost 4 by an average of 13ppg
In 2011, we lost 6 by an average of 13ppg
In 2012, we lost 5 by an average of 21.4ppg
In 2013, we've lost 3 by an average of 18ppg

We can't finish games. Can't play for 4 quarters. Lose every "toss up" at game time now. Are getting outrecruited by our one "sure" SEC win(Kentucky). Can't score points in second halves against decent teams. Am I missing anything?

That's tough as hell to swallow when I see a favorite MSU son get his ass handed to him for a half and weather the storm -- come out in a second half -- and TOTALLY dominate Bobby Petrino on both sides of the ball with tremendous second half adjustments -- a TOTALLY foreign concept to me at this point.

Exactly. When you look at it like Engie just spelled it out, it shows that "Mullen winning in the SEC" is a very misleading statement. If you use your eyes to look at play, and not just look at record, Mullen is very underwhelming. And that is being nice.

smootness
10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
and have Strck leading a coaching search... we're royally screwed for the next decade.

I don't want to continue to belabor this, but what is it about Stricklin that makes people think he is bad at conducting coaching searches and making hires? Is it all about Rick Ray? I've liked every hire he's made so far.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 10:55 AM
That 5th win is gonna be tough to come by. We would have to win in the state of Arkansas, something we've never done, or beat ole miss and that's gonna be tough.

UPig may very like be 0-6 in the SEC when we play them. We've never played a team in Arkansas that's 0-6 in the SEC

The home team doesnt lose the Egg Bowl

We're going to win 6 games

smootness
10-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Engie also, though, said that Mullen's 'success' is just 6 wins/year...4 OOC games, Kentucky, and one more. Well, since his first year, he's gone 8-4, 6-6, 8-4 in the regular season...so 6 wins has been the low point of what he's accomplished.

Once again, it's slightly altering the argument so as to better make the point. He's won 8 games 2 of the last 3 years.

The recruiting needs to continue to get better, but it has been good now for the last 3 years. The '10 and '11 classes are still holding us back some, but we have a lot of young talent that will mature. Yes, I want more, and I'm not totally opposed to the idea of Hudspeth; I like him as a coach and wouldn't go nuts if we made the change and went with him.

But I still believe that Mullen can get it done. No, he hasn't jumped up and beat a team that had a great year...but take, for instance, LSU this year. Let's say they finish 10-2. Well, if we beat them they would instead have been 9-3, and people would say, yeah we beat them but they lost 3 games; one of the worst LSU teams in the last decade. Say they finish with 9 wins...people would still point to it and say that would have been a big win; but if we had beat them to knock them down to 8, suddenly they're 'down'. We have had some good wins but no great ones yet. I still believe Mullen is capable of doing it; I think the building of the program is still in progress.

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Dak's development is huge for Dan. I do NOT think Hud can develop QB's better than CDM. Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Chris Relf and Dak Prescott. That's not too shabby a list of QBs. Russell has improved too just not as much. (not Dan's preferred style QB). Now put Hud vs Dan in the weight room or giving a locker room speech and it's no contest. I think some on here have fallen in love with these two attributes that Hud has. Lets face it Mark Hudspeth is a dude's dude. The guy can bench press 400lbs and he gives better locker room speeches than Gene Hackman but I caution those that want change to sit back and actually look at the current MSU team. We have a future star at QB right now. He's only a sophomore and he's CDM QB. Give Dan till Dak graduates and I believe you'll see Dak mature into an All-SEC QB. When has MSU EVER had that type of QB. Throw in that CDM also now has Williams, Staley and Fitzgerald and you'll see that the QB position is SET for the next 5 years. Dan is closer now to the 10 win team we strive for than Hud would be 5 years from now.

Coach34
10-16-2013, 11:06 AM
We are losing games because we are young in the Secondary, WR and at QB. Plus, we dont really have a bigtime WR can that can be trusted to make plays against good defenses. Not because Mullen sux.

Let things play out and then we can see where we are. 6-6 (3-5) this year wouldnt be that bad of a season. Schedule flips in our favor next year and we should be damn salty with 16 starters returning

CadaverDawg
10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
We are losing games because we are young in the Secondary, WR and at QB. Plus, we dont really have a bigtime WR can that can be trusted to make plays against good defenses. Not because Mullen sux.

Let things play out and then we can see where we are. 6-6 (3-5) this year wouldnt be that bad of a season. Schedule flips in our favor next year and we should be damn salty with 16 starters returning

We lost the Auburn game because of Mullen. Plain and simple.

If we win 5 games, Mullen cost us a bowl game with that Auburn game. And he embarrassed some of us Saturday night by nearly blowing a win, laughing about it, and saying he's happy to be 3-3.

So let's not blame our CB youth for Dan's F ups AND their own

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't want to continue to belabor this, but what is it about Stricklin that makes people think he is bad at conducting coaching searches and making hires? Is it all about Rick Ray? I've liked every hire he's made so far.

The hire ended up being a pretty good one considering how awful it started, but Strick shit the bed big time. I've heard that the President and others had to step in and get involved. He shut the door on our big boosters... the guys who pay for our facilities... and went underground. He refused to interview people that our boosters were suggesting... this is much different than refusing to hire someone. He downright wouldn't interview them. that's all "in house," or at least "in the family" drama which will eventually die down. It was stupid, but its not like you can't recover from it.

BUT, here's the big kicker: He managed to piss off the NABC (I think it was them. It was a basketball coaches association.) He wouldn't take advice from them on who should be possible candidates, so they, being an organization that represents coaches, bad mouthed our basketball program and shared all of our dirty laundry with potential candidates on why taking the job was career suicide. He was so thick he refused to work with the one organization that can make hiring a coach an absolute nightmare. I don't know if it was a case of mistaken arrogance because he used to work for Kentucky and doesn't think he has to engage with those types of groups during the process, or if he's just too hard headed to realize that he can't make these decisions in a stovepipe. Either way, any chance we had to go hire a big name coach and send our basketball program skyrocketing to the next level was absolutely crushed by him botching the search. We ended up with a good, hard nose man that will do a good job at State, but if anyone thinks that Rick Ray is going to raise banners like Coach K, they've lost their minds. We had ELITE talent already on the team and shit the bed with the transition.

There's one or two posters on this site that know a lot more about it than I do, so maybe they'll speak up. But the bottom line is that he botched his first chance at hiring a coach and got lucky that Rick Ray appears to be taking the program in a positive direction... even though we could've hit a home run and been an instant sweet 16 type team.

smootness
10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
I will admit that I obviously don't know nearly as much about the process as you seem to, but I would be surprised if there haven't been some rumors that weren't fully fact that have been passed around. I find it hard to believe he would completely shun an organization like the NABC.

I think it is a bad idea to refuse to interview candidates that are being suggested by people within the program, as it can't hurt anything, but I have to admit that I like the fact that he will make his own decision outside of money influences. I believe he went out and hired the guy he felt was best for the job.

We did not have elite talent on the team. Moultrie was gone, we're lucky Sidney left and he would have been shown the door anyway, and Deville Smith was gone. There's no coach we could have hired that would have been able to keep them. So where was the elite talent? We had Rodney Hood, but it would have been very difficult to keep him regardless knowing what we would be bringing in to surround him with. He didn't transfer because of Ray, he transferred because things fell apart, and from what I've heard Ray actually made him think twice about it.

I don't know where you're getting that we could have hired someone who would have instantly made us a Sweet 16 team; I think that's absurd, personally. If you can throw out some names who could have done this and exactly how they would have gone about it, I really would like to see your opinion. But I really, really like Rick Ray. I don't know why you're so quick to claim as a fact that he won't ever raise banners, at least in the sense that someone else we could have hired would have.

And please don't say Kenny Payne. You may believe it, but it will instantly make me lose respect for your side of the argument.

Raytoraid83
10-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Lets not start this again haha

msstate7
10-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I also love rick ray. If ray can get Newman to sign with Thomas, sword, and ware as seniors, we're gonna be really, really good. Ray may be hard to keep...

Political Hack
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Moultrie went pro too early and could've stayed with a new coach. Hood may have too if our boosters wouldn't have been pissed. Hire a guy like Kenny Payne who brings a four star recruit or two with him from a program like Kentucky and all of a sudden you've got an All-SEC starting five. People forget how easy it is to build an unbelievable roster in just one year in basketball. Under the current rules, imagine the team that gets Lebron, or Kobe, etc...? They're instantly competing for a championship. The right coach can bring that with him and we had ZERO chance of making that happen once Strick started making decisions.

I'm critical of him on this, but I also think he did a good job with the women's hire and the other non-big three sports so far. And Ray may pay off yet... time will tell.