PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recall how many.......

Pit Bull
10-18-2018, 01:54 AM
....SEC teams have played on Thurs. night? I'm sure I must have missed some, but just don't recall seeing any to my knowledge. I know Ole Miss will play us on a Thurs. and that the KState game was under consideration for a Thurs. night, but got put in a 11:00 AM game, but I just don't recall any other SEC teams playing on a Thurs. night. In prior years, there used to be a bunch of Thurs. games.

Dawgfan77
10-18-2018, 05:43 AM
Auburn played on a Thursday. LSU against us USCE played on Thursday nights. We played Mizz on the road on a Thursday

hacker
10-18-2018, 06:16 AM
I think A&M had a game on Thursday this year

Todd4State
10-18-2018, 06:45 AM
I don't remember there being "a bunch" of Thursday night games from SEC teams other than MSU in the 1990's and 2000's.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-18-2018, 06:45 AM
Not a fan of Egg Bowl on Thursday Nite... basically gives us two practices to prepare for game.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2018, 07:42 AM
I don't remember there being "a bunch" of Thursday night games from SEC teams other than MSU in the 1990's and 2000's.

Interestingly, we really didn't play that many in the 90s compared to the 2000s -

1992 UF, 1998 Egg, 1999 Kentucky & Egg

2000 BYU, 2001 USC, 2002 AU, 2006 USC, 2007 LSU, 2010 Auburn, 2011 Memphis & LSU, 2013 Kentucky, 2015 Missouri
Egg Bowl 2000-2003, 2013, 2017

Leroy Jenkins
10-18-2018, 09:11 AM
Not a fan of Egg Bowl on Thursday Nite... basically gives us two practices to prepare for game.

Both teams play at the same time.

TXDawg
10-18-2018, 09:18 AM
I think A&M had a game on Thursday this year

Didn’t TAMU play UCLA on a Thursday night last season?

Cooterpoot
10-18-2018, 09:27 AM
The move to P5 conferences and tv money/slots basically left Thursdays for G5 games for the most part.

Johnson85
10-18-2018, 09:54 AM
The move to P5 conferences and tv money/slots basically left Thursdays for G5 games for the most part.

Yup. I still wish they would have more P5 games on Thursday nights. If each conference had two thursday night matchups, that would put decent games on 10 thursday nights of the year.

Jack Lambert
10-18-2018, 10:01 AM
....SEC teams have played on Thurs. night? I'm sure I must have missed some, but just don't recall seeing any to my knowledge. I know Ole Miss will play us on a Thurs. and that the KState game was under consideration for a Thurs. night, but got put in a 11:00 AM game, but I just don't recall any other SEC teams playing on a Thurs. night. In prior years, there used to be a bunch of Thurs. games.

It sucks for the fans but if you can get a bye week the week before then it is good for the team. That's giving you two Saturdays off.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Thursday games suck for most fanbases. It means having to take 2 vacation days for the most part to watch a season game. I am glad we only do it on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving game also allows my wife to go to the game since that is during her weekend work time.

Political Hack
10-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Saints play Falcons in the Dome same night.

Leroy Jenkins
10-18-2018, 10:35 AM
We did Thursday games years ago because it was an opportunity to be on TV without having to compete for a Saturday time slot on a network, which we would have lost. Now there are 8 ESPNs and a SEC network.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2018, 10:40 AM
We did Thursday games years ago because it was an opportunity to be on TV without having to compete for a Saturday time slot on a network, which we would have lost. Now there are 8 ESPNs and a SEC network.

No use whoring ourselves out any longer to get on TV. That is why you rarely see good teams on Thursday anymore. Sunbelt and the AAC have to but the SEC doesn't.

Lord McBuckethead
10-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Both teams play at the same time.

Ole Miss either has a bye week or plays Starkville Academy. We have to play Arkansas and half the time on the road.

Leroy Jenkins
10-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Ole Miss either has a bye week or plays Starkville Academy. We have to play Arkansas and half the time on the road.

Fake news. Last year they had aTm the Saturday before our game. This year they have to go to Vandy (who usually gives them a tough game) and play us the next week.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Fake news. Last year they had aTm the Saturday before our game. This year they have to go to Vandy (who usually gives them a tough game) and play us the next week.

Hopefully this year we have a coach that actually puts forth effort to win the game instead of trying to get another job that week.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Thursday games suck for most fanbases. It means having to take 2 vacation days for the most part to watch a season game. I am glad we only do it on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving game also allows my wife to go to the game since that is during her weekend work time.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade that Thursday night in 1992 in a wild student section giving Shane Matthews and the Ole Ball Coach fits for anything in the world though. Man, was that a fun night!

TUSK
10-18-2018, 01:22 PM
They play College Football on Thursday Nights???**

BulldogBear
10-18-2018, 02:12 PM
They play College Football on Thursday Nights???**

Tusk, I task you with tough tusk task and say that fast!

Find out the last time Bammer played on a Thursday night.

TUSK
10-18-2018, 04:46 PM

holy shite... I can't recall a game, but surely it's happened... Now I wanna know... BRB...

Pit Bull
10-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Auburn played on a Thursday. LSU against us USCE played on Thursday nights. We played Mizz on the road on a Thursday

This year?

Pit Bull
10-18-2018, 04:52 PM

I think this was the answer I was looking for. Think you are right.

TUSK
10-18-2018, 04:53 PM

11/18/10 vs Ga State coached by former Bammer HC Bill Curry... 63-7

BulldogBear
10-18-2018, 09:50 PM
11/18/10 vs Ga State coached by former Bammer HC Bill Curry... 63-7

I remember Bammer playing a few body bag games against Pounce's boys not long after they picked up football. I did not remember it being Thursday night. I figured you'd come back with something from the 90s!

TUSK
10-18-2018, 10:00 PM
I remember Bammer playing a few body bag games against Pounce's boys not long after they picked up football. I did not remember it being Thursday night. I figured you'd come back with something from the 90s!

That's the only one I could come up with, man... I don't remember any from the ESPN Thursday Night hay days of the 90s....

Todd4State
10-18-2018, 11:31 PM

And next year we have to play Abeline Christian while Ole Miss has a bye week. I think it should be the same for both teams. Either both have a FCS team or both have a bye.

TUSK
10-18-2018, 11:33 PM
And next year we have to play Abeline Christian while Ole Miss has a bye week. I think it should be the same for both teams. Either both have a FCS team or both have a bye.

Todd, what’s your take on MDL’s suggestion of no FCS games & a 9 game conference slate?

I kinda dig the idea.

TUSK
10-18-2018, 11:37 PM
And I’ll add that “bye” weeks have been brutal to all of us from time to time. Hell, I think one year my guys played 6 SEC teams that all had bye weeks preceding.

Effed up stuff happens.

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2018, 08:21 AM
Todd, what’s your take on MDL’s suggestion of no FCS games & a 9 game conference slate?

I kinda dig the idea.

I like the idea. Just add another rotating East team to the West. I think all conferences should have to do it. The only push back would be from FCS schools looking for a paycheck. It would help with determining the Playoff. Bama would benefit more due to having more depth but it is what it is.

Someone else talked about having a rotating OOC schedule with other conferences also. I can't remember who but that would be cool to have it similar to basketball where the SEC would have a game with the ACC. The only issue would be teams like GA, SC, and UF having a permanent opponent already.

Leroy Jenkins
10-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Why do we need divisions in the conference?

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't trade that Thursday night in 1992 in a wild student section giving Shane Matthews and the Ole Ball Coach fits for anything in the world though. Man, was that a fun night!

That was a fun night. The after party in college station..... that next Friday was rough. Ha!

StarkVegasSteve
10-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Actually glad we went away from Thursday night games outside of the Egg Bowl. The Auburn and LSU Thursday night games in 2010 and 2011 were great atmospheres, but the 2013 game against Kentucky was one of the worst atmospheres I've ever been apart of in Davis Wade. Only about 35-40K at the game and I'd be willing to bet it was only about 500 students at that game. And while we're mentioning that game, THANK YOU KENDRICK MARKET.

Johnson85
10-19-2018, 10:59 AM

I kinda dig the idea.

That would be a brutal to the budget for FCS teams. I think the schedule is fine as it is for now and we should see how it plays out for the next few years. If we were going to do anything, I'd rather add a second P5 opponent and give teams the option of playing G5 or FCS teams in their other two games. I think the interconference matchups are more interesting than the interdivision matchups.

Johnson85
10-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Actually glad we went away from Thursday night games outside of the Egg Bowl. The Auburn and LSU Thursday night games in 2010 and 2011 were great atmospheres, but the 2013 game against Kentucky was one of the worst atmospheres I've ever been apart of in Davis Wade. Only about 35-40K at the game and I'd be willing to bet it was only about 500 students at that game. And while we're mentioning that game, THANK YOU KENDRICK MARKET.

There's no doubt the Thursday night games suck for the fan bases of those teams, but it's fun to have an enticing Thursday night game to watch.

msu15
10-19-2018, 11:01 AM
I miss the days of those big time Thursday night games, especially to start the season. The Big East had some great games on there in 2006 that I'll always remember.

StarkVegasSteve
10-19-2018, 11:07 AM
I miss the days of those big time Thursday night games, especially to start the season. The Big East had some great games on there in 2006 that I'll always remember.

Louisville, USF, and Rutgers had some epic battles in the mid 00s. Piscataway, NJ was one of the toughest places to play at that time and Matt Groethe is still a name I'll never forget from USF. Kid was just a gamer. Man, those were some fun games