PDA

View Full Version : Fitz has the most dropped passes in the SEC.

TrapGame
10-17-2018, 02:31 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/stat-shows-which-sec-qbs-are-hurt-most-by-dropped-passes/

Some of them were bullets but shouldn't the WRs be used to that from practice? That dropped pass for a sure TD in the Florida game might have won us the game.

RocketDawg
10-17-2018, 07:10 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/stat-shows-which-sec-qbs-are-hurt-most-by-dropped-passes/

Some of them were bullets but shouldn't the WRs be used to that from practice? That dropped pass for a sure TD in the Florida game might have won us the game.

And it wasn't a bullet, just a beautifully thrown pass. I couldn't believe he dropped it.

BeastMan
10-17-2018, 08:08 PM
There are 2 outliers in that list, Kyle Shurmur and the Wilson kid from Kentucky. Besides those 2, the lower half in that list are the most inaccurate and the top of that list is the most accurate. The passing game is a rhythm game the WRs greatly benefit from trusting where the QB consistently places the ball. If a QB is wild and there is no trust or rhythm, there will be more drops. Just like in baseball where the great defensive catcher plays a flawless game through 8 and then they bring in the wild, hard-throwing reliever and now that same catcher is blocking balls with his knees, chest, and anything else he can to stop it. Did that catcher just become a shitty ball catcher? No. He doesn't know where in the hell is about to be thrown at him. Are all the drops Nicks fault? Hell no. There have been a few egregious ones like the Osirius ball. But QB accuracy and drops exist in a symbiotic relationship.

dawgoneyall
10-17-2018, 08:34 PM
No pass over 5-6 yards being dropped is the fault of the speed.

It is due to the receiver not being worth a damn.

confucius say
10-17-2018, 08:51 PM
There are 2 outliers in that list, Kyle Shurmur and the Wilson kid from Kentucky. Besides those 2, the lower half in that list are the most inaccurate and the top of that list is the most accurate. The passing game is a rhythm game the WRs greatly benefit from trusting where the QB consistently places the ball. If a QB is wild and there is no trust or rhythm, there will be more drops. Just like in baseball where the great defensive catcher plays a flawless game through 8 and then they bring in the wild, hard-throwing reliever and now that same catcher is blocking balls with his knees, chest, and anything else he can to stop it. Did that catcher just become a shitty ball catcher? No. He doesn't know where in the hell is about to be thrown at him. Are all the drops Nicks fault? Hell no. There have been a few egregious ones like the Osirius ball. But QB accuracy and drops exist in a symbiotic relationship.

How is a catcher blocking wild pitches comparable to drops?? By definition, the drops are not wild passes. Seems like the comparison would be a catcher not catching strikes from an inconsistent pitcher because he is use to the pitch being wild. No catcher would be excused for doing that.

Bottom line is Fitz has had the worst receiving corps in the conference for three years.

dawgday166
10-17-2018, 08:55 PM
How is a catcher blocking wild pitches comparable to drops?? By definition, the drops are not wild passes. Seems like the comparison would be a catcher not catching strikes from an inconsistent pitcher because he is use to the pitch being wild. No catcher would be excused for doing that.

Bottom line is Fitz has had the worst receiving corps in the conference for three years.

THIS is an accurate statement. And with Fred Ross a good but not elite WR in 2016 as a RS Soph, he almost had a 1000 yd receiver.

TUSK
10-17-2018, 09:00 PM
There are 2 outliers in that list, Kyle Shurmur and the Wilson kid from Kentucky. Besides those 2, the lower half in that list are the most inaccurate and the top of that list is the most accurate.

I made the same observation...

yjnkdawg
10-17-2018, 10:33 PM
And it wasn't a bullet, just a beautifully thrown pass. I couldn't believe he dropped it.

Mitchell was trying to run before he secured the ball.

BeastMan
10-18-2018, 10:37 AM
So are we going to discuss how that formula was structured? That percentage is based on drops vs completions and not drops vs attempts. That is an incredibly flawed formula for drops. What is shows is who are actually the most inaccurate passers, not worst pass catchers.

TrapGame
10-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Mitchell was trying to run before he secured the ball.

He knew he had a touchdown and took his eyes off the ball just for that split second. Catch the ball, take the tackle and we're at the 7 yard line, first and goal.

BeastMan
10-18-2018, 10:54 AM
He knew he had a touchdown and took his eyes off the ball just for that split second. Catch the ball, take the tackle and we're at the 7 yard line, first and goal.

That may have been the worst drop I ever seen at a State game. And as critical as I am of nick’s accuracy, it was a perfect ball. And the junction of the game... Geez now I’m reliving it lol

louisvilledawg
10-18-2018, 11:48 AM
That may have been the worst drop I ever seen at a State game. And as critical as I am of nick’s accuracy, it was a perfect ball. And the junction of the game... Geez now I’m reliving it lol

I recall Leon Barry dropping one against Auburn i think that was just as bad.

BB30
10-18-2018, 12:24 PM
People are blaming Fitz for throwing bullets but that is what you have to do when your WRs are getting zero separation. If your WR runs a good route and beats his man/is wide open you don't have to force it in there hard. If the dude constantly has a defender right on his a$$ you have to put some zip on it to get it in there.

Fitz isn't a great passer, we all know that but he is getting far to much criticism and the WRs aren't getting enough.

The WRs shouldn't be having near as many drops as they have had. Fitz has put alot of balls on the money that were dropped and has thrown several more that should have/would have been caught by several other receivers in this league.

You think AJ Brown or DK Metcalf are dropping the TD ball against UF? You think those two would drop 3/4 of the passes our WRs have dropped? No they are catching everything that they can get to. They are also getting wide open and making the QB's job much easier.