PDA

View Full Version : We've Got to Step Up This Week

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Our program will be marginalized this week as the blue blood poll smoking dinosaurs like Chris Low, Tony Barnhart, etc marginalize our program in an effort to start building up the Bama/LSU game.

I've seen MSU lay down time & time again while in this position in the past. We go in & take our ceremonial ass whipping & then drive back to Starkville.

Our team is good & our program is too proud to for that to happen this week. There has to be an expectation from Moorhead to the team & down to everyone else that are going to down to Baton Rouge to kick their ass.

We can win this game & should expect too. We will be marginalized & overlooked this week by everyone & we've got to make them pay for it.

No excuses. If we lay an egg down there, the fan base should be right back where it was after the Florida & Kentucky games where we are questioning everything.

Time for Fitz & this OL to step up. Enough with the false start & immaturity shit on the road. Get your crap together this week & go down there & get it done

Jack Lambert
10-15-2018, 09:06 AM
I think we come out pounding. Don't know we win or not but our defense is going to make this a difficult game for LSU. Home field advantage doesn't hurt the visiting defense. Home field advantage can only help the home team defense. I think we are a little deeper on the D line then LSU and that plays into our advantage.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 09:11 AM
I think we come out pounding. Don't know we win or not but our defense is going to make this a difficult game for LSU. Home field advantage doesn't hurt the visiting defense. Home field advantage can only help the home team defense. I think we are a little deeper on the D line then LSU and that plays into our advantage.

I just hope we don't come out false starting & not knowing who to block.

We have lacked leadership & organization on the road & that MUST change Saturday.

We've to make people play for not respecting us this week

Jack Lambert
10-15-2018, 09:13 AM

We have lacked leadership & organization on the road & that MUST change Saturday.

I think Simplifying the offense will help with that. Also Simmons has to keep his head screwed on.

TXDawg
10-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Our program will be marginalized this week as the blue blood poll smoking dinosaurs like Chris Low, Tony Barnhart, etc marginalize our program in an effort to start building up the Bama/LSU game.

I've seen MSU lay down time & time again while in this position in the past. We go in & take our ceremonial ass whipping & then drive back to Starkville.

Our team is good & our program is too proud to for that to happen this week. There has to be an expectation from Moorhead to the team & down to everyone else that are going to down to Baton Rouge to kick their ass.

We can win this game & should expect too. We will be marginalized & overlooked this week by everyone & we've got to make them pay for it.

No excuses. If we lay an egg down there, the fan base should be right back where it was after the Florida & Kentucky games where we are questioning everything.

Time for Fitz & this OL to step up. Enough with the false start & immaturity shit on the road. Get your crap together this week & go down there & get it done

I don't disagree, but I think we need to define "lay an egg" early in the process. If we play them close and lose on a last second FG, is that laying an egg? If we get screwed on a crucial PI/holding/BiB/roughing penalty that costs us the game, is that laying an egg?

In my mind, if we're in it late in the 4th quarter, we've done all we can expect to do at night in DV. Vegas has the line at LSU +7, I think it's going to be more like LSU +10. If we keep it a one-score game, I don't think there's any way we should say they laid an egg (unless the offense looks like complete crap).

Jack Lambert
10-15-2018, 09:22 AM
I don't disagree, but I think we need to define "lay an egg" early in the process. If we play them close and lose on a last second FG, is that laying an egg? If we get screwed on a crucial PI/holding/BiB/roughing penalty that costs us the game, is that laying an egg?

In my mind, if we're in it late in the 4th quarter, we've done all we can expect to do at night in DV. Vegas has the line at LSU +7, I think it's going to be more like LSU +10. If we keep it a one-score game, I don't think there's any way we should say they laid an egg (unless the offense looks like complete crap).

You mean -7?

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 09:23 AM

I completely agree with this.

My point is that I've seen us suck in these games & that is unacceptable this week. Absolutely unacceptable

TrapGame
10-15-2018, 09:30 AM
It's already started with Bo Bounds. He's not even giving us a chance. And this is right after he said O beat an inferior UGA team. We have no hope against LSU's defense per Bo. We're too "one dimensional".

Cooterpoot
10-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I'm not expecting to win at LSU. I do expect us to play them close.

Jacksondevildog
10-15-2018, 09:33 AM
I?m expecting us to come out and try to run, but we will fall start and be slow getting plays in. We will stay behind the chains, forcing us to pass. We should be able to play with them, but I don?t have as much confidence today as I did one week ago.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 09:35 AM
I?m expecting us to come out and try to run, but we will fall start and be slow getting plays in. We will stay behind the chains, forcing us to pass. We should be able to play with them, but I don?t have as much confidence today as I did one week ago.

You should expect more. We've got to have more pride in our program than this.

We just beat the crap out of Auburn & just because LSU played well, we've now allowed that to make us feel like we stink.

Why is that?

shannondawg
10-15-2018, 09:40 AM
For what its worth my cousin has predicted a win, and reminded me he also predicted a win against Auburn.

But we won't count all the wrong predictions he has made in the last 60 or so years.

Liverpooldawg
10-15-2018, 09:41 AM
I have no expectations for this game, good or bad. I certainly don't "expect" to win it. I didn't before the season started either. Just go down there and line up and see what happens. Ya never know.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2018, 09:45 AM
If we win, watch out! This is the game that could get us rolling.

BrunswickDawg
10-15-2018, 09:59 AM
LSU has been kryptonite for us in the past. However, I think we have an advantage over a lot of past teams - This year's RS Sr.'s have been on 2 winning sidelines for us in this game, and have two loses by a field goal each. They know they can play with LSU and know what to expect going into Death Valley. It's been a long time since an MSU team could go into Red Stick with that type of mentality.

I think our defense is the difference maker too. I think we shut them down.

TrapGame
10-15-2018, 09:59 AM
FWIW: Heard that Red Stick sports radio is completely skipping our game and talking about Bama/LSU already.

We have to be physical. We have to run at them hard and knock them back. We have to be just as physical with LSU as we were with Auburn.

was21
10-15-2018, 10:03 AM
We should expect a moral victory?...just trying to read between the lines

Jack Lambert
10-15-2018, 10:08 AM
It's already started with Bo Bounds. He's not even giving us a chance. And this is right after he said O beat an inferior UGA team. We have no hope against LSU's defense per Bo. We're too "one dimensional".

I just can't listen to Bo any more. I left before and went back but I just can't stomach him.

Dawg2003
10-15-2018, 10:14 AM
LSU is beatable. What I see are a lot of SEC teams that can compete with one another. Except Bama of course. I do believe that our defense can keep us in any game, so it will be up to our offense to figure out how to score.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 10:15 AM
We should expect a moral victory?...just trying to read between the lines

We should expect to win.

Let me see if I have this straight:

LSU loses to Florida & we think they are beatable.

We beat Auburn fairly easily, who lost to LSU by 1 point & who blew out UGA at Auburn last year.

We should feel good right?

Then LSU beats UGA & we feel like we stink.

Doesn't make any sense. We are just as good as LSU & should have every chance to win this game.

Anything less than complete competitiveness with a chance to win the 4th quarter is unacceptable.

Why do MSU fans think LSU is better than them?

Cooterpoot
10-15-2018, 10:20 AM
LSU on the road is the reason. If this game was at home, I'd take State.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
LSU on the road is the reason. If this game was at home, I'd take State.

No excuses this week.

Liverpooldawg
10-15-2018, 10:25 AM
No excuses this week.

That's not an excuse, it's just fact. LSU down there at night is a tall order if they have even a sign of a pulse. I'm not saying we can't win, that would be just as stupid as saying we absolutely will.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 10:29 AM
That's not an excuse, it's just fact. LSU down there at night is a tall order if they have even a sign of a pulse. I'm not saying we can't win, that would be just as stupid as saying we absolutely will.

I wish we could cut or trade people in our fan base.

TrapGame
10-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Nick almost brought us back in 2016 at DV. A lot of these guys have played in DV at night before they know what to expect from that crowd. We have to pound them HARD. No trick plays, nothing cute just strap it on and go.

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Nick almost brought us back in 2016 at DV. A lot of these guys have played in DV at night before they know what to expect from that crowd. We have to pound them HARD. No trick plays, nothing cute just strap it on and go.

That was Dam Williams that almost brought us back. Nick's helmet came off on a 3rd down and we went for it on 4th with Williams in the game and Mullen just rode the hot hand and we almost stole the game. We probably should've went back to Nick for the last drive, but hindsight is 20/20.

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2018, 10:44 AM

This is truth. Saturday Night in Death Valley is another animal. LSU has beaten people with twice the talent they had many a time because of the home field advantage they have in Tiger Stadium. Can we win, yes. But we have to play like we did for the first 3 quarters in 14 and I just don't know that we'll be able to do that. This team has to handle the road atmosphere much better than we did at Kentucky.

TrapGame
10-15-2018, 10:50 AM
That was Dam Williams that almost brought us back. Nick's helmet came off on a 3rd down and we went for it on 4th with Williams in the game and Mullen just rode the hot hand and we almost stole the game. We probably should've went back to Nick for the last drive, but hindsight is 20/20.

I coulda sworn that was Nick. Damn, I'm getting old.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-15-2018, 11:02 AM
This is truth. Saturday Night in Death Valley is another animal. LSU has beaten people with twice the talent they had many a time because of the home field advantage they have in Tiger Stadium. Can we win, yes. But we have to play like we did for the first 3 quarters in 14 and I just don't know that we'll be able to do that. This team has to handle the road atmosphere much better than we did at Kentucky.

I think a lot of that was related to how we were blocking on the o-line at the time or at least I'm hoping so.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Why? Because we think LSU is considerably tougher to beat at home? I'm expecting a tough, close game. LSU isn't a great team. But they're not making a lot of mistakes and their QB is managing the game. I've got concerns our staff understands what it's like at LSU too. We were terrible on the road last year and we were terrible in our SEC road game this year. Lots of concerns.

bobtail bob
10-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Moor is going to have to step up his game as welland get pissed off with these SEC refs. Orge and his nutrias like to get ahead early in the game by using bush league tactics. Jumping offsides,false starts, pass interference etc. on almost every play and having the refs call only half of it. When the other team is getting momentum on offense, they have their defensive players go down and play hurt to save their timeouts too. Against Florida and Auburn it was almost every other play in the second half with the "hurt" player right back in a couple of plays later. On the drive where Georgia fake the field goal that drive was thwarted after.... you guessed it a hurt tiger giving the defense a rest after getting their ass run over for about six plays straight. I can't believe nobody has called their ass out over it yet

BrunswickDawg
10-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Yes, LSU is a tough place to play. But, this is one of those seasons where so many teams are so close, that home field advantage is almost out the window. SEC home teams stand at 14-12 so far.

Yes, LSU is 2-0. But, unlike UGA, we have experience in playing in Death Valley at night. We have players who have seen us roll into Death Valley and beat #8 LSU before. We have players who in one of our worst years recently almost knocked off #20 LSU in Death Valley. We have a team that knocked off #12 LSU last year. That's a totally different mindset than a UGA team who had no clue, and a coach who was feeling arrogant because he had beaten them 9 out of 11 as a DC.

Kirby set UGA up to lose Saturday. That stupid fake FG on their 2nd possession is one of the worst calls I've seen. UGA had pounded them on that drive, gaining 92 yards by rushing (38 offset by a holding penalty on a 28 yard run by Holyfield). Kirby panicked getting down by 10 and they quit running the ball!! They only gained 59 yards on the ground the rest of the night. It was almost an exact replay of what we did against Kentucky - minus the penalties and the rain. Then Fromm got totally exposed as a QB that can't win without a run-first offense. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

We run the ball and play defense, and pass enough to keep them honest and we can beat LSU.

Liverpooldawg
10-15-2018, 11:06 AM

I do too.

tireddawg
10-15-2018, 11:07 AM
I agree with ya gun, we need to expect to win. I think we go back to the motion that confused AU, and get some positive results from that. I don't think the atmosphere will bother our guys, especially if we just line up and run right at em. I just don't see how they can stop us from running the ball for 4 quarters. And our D......

AROB44
10-15-2018, 11:12 AM

You might be the first one cut!!!

bobtail bob
10-15-2018, 11:14 AM
That's why it's absolutely necessary that our defense holds for a few minutes until the offense can get itself together. LSU, much like us, has to be in front of the chains all the time. The minute they get behind them they will melt. Like at Florida

TrapGame
10-15-2018, 11:15 AM
I agree with ya gun, we need to expect to win. I think we go back to the motion that confused AU, and get some positive results from that. I don't think the atmosphere will bother our guys, especially if we just line up and run right at em. I just don't see how they can stop us from running the ball for 4 quarters. And our D......

Aranda has to account for Nick in his plan for Saturday. They didn't have to account for Fromm. We put KH in motion to one side and use a TE to block on the other and Nick moves the ball. Kirby put in his dual threat QB running zone read and took it over 30 yards and td. Then he sent Fromm back out to drop and pass into one of the best secondaries in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Why? Because we think LSU is considerably tougher to beat at home? I'm expecting a tough, close game. LSU isn't a great team. But they're not making a lot of mistakes and their QB is managing the game. I've got concerns our staff understands what it's like at LSU too. We were terrible on the road last year and we were terrible in our SEC road game this year. Lots of concerns.

No, because knows this is obvious. Get past it & discuss real issues

Cooterpoot
10-15-2018, 11:30 AM
No, because knows this is obvious. Get past it & discuss real issues

That is the real issue. Two fairly even teams playing at LSU. This team and staff have to prove they can win on the road in the SEC. I could be a blind homer, and proclaim we're going to hammer them. But that's just stupid.

Bothrops
10-15-2018, 11:51 AM
We should expect to win.

We beat Auburn fairly easily, who lost to LSU by 1 point & who blew out UGA at Auburn last year.

Doesn't make any sense. We are just as good as LSU & should have every chance to win this game.

Anything less than complete competitiveness with a chance to win the 4th quarter is unacceptable.

It's Baton Rouge. Auburn was playing much better football when they played LSU. Football is mental. Moorhead has never coached in an environment like this as a HC. We don't know how we are going to start after a week of rest. Could be refreshed and charged up, or could be sloppy and soft. LSU could be tired, or they could be mad about last year.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 12:03 PM
That is the real issue. Two fairly even teams playing at LSU. This team and staff have to prove they can win on the road in the SEC. I could be a blind homer, and proclaim we're going to hammer them. But that's just stupid.

Nobody asked for you to be a blind homer. No excuses though. We should and must play well Saturday night.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 12:05 PM
It's Baton Rouge. Auburn was playing much better football when they played LSU. Football is mental. Moorhead has never coached in an environment like this as a HC. We don't know how we are going to start after a week of rest. Could be refreshed and charged up, or could be sloppy and soft. LSU could be tired, or they could be mad about last year.

Agree with all. Let's not make excuses though.

MSU's program is at a level where playing well and having a chance in this game should be the expectation.

Activated Alpha
10-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Yeah I'm expecting LSU to embarrass state. Just don't see it this year

msbulldog
10-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Screw Death Valley at night, we've beat that a$$ down there at night before, with a team that's not as good as this one. Joe Burrows is not even going to see the freight train that's fixing to hit him. Their OL sucks, just go over to Tiger Droppings and read what their fans say about them. Their front 7 isn't any more deep than it was last year and not as talented. We got this thang, Hold my Beer!!!!!

LC Dawg
10-15-2018, 12:33 PM
We need a couple of turnovers. Hopefully from Burrow. He gained confidence as that game progressed Saturday. We need to hurt his confidence early in the game. A couple of short fields for our offense could be the difference in the game.

TrapGame
10-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Joe said in his presser they are practicing with as much noise as possible to simulate some of what they will experience in DV. He wants better communication with the offense. He was very coy on questions about game plan. I'd say we are planning on more power running with limited short yard passing.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Yeah I'm expecting LSU to embarrass state. Just don't see it this year

I get the feeling but it would be flat out unacceptable with where our program is now.

We are just as good as them.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2018, 12:42 PM
We need a couple of turnovers. Hopefully from Burrow. He gained confidence as that game progressed Saturday. We need to hurt his confidence early in the game. A couple of short fields for our offense could be the difference in the game.

No we don't.

We are as good as LSU. It won't take a miracle to win this game.

We'll have to play our A game to win, but that should be the expectation.

Duckdog
10-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Well, all the coonasses in La think otherwise. Its only Monday and Im tired of hearing it from them

LC Dawg
10-15-2018, 01:06 PM
No we don't.

We are as good as LSU. It won't take a miracle to win this game.

We'll have to play our A game to win, but that should be the expectation.

So winning the turnover battle is considered a miracle? When you go on the road in the SEC you often need some breaks to win. That is for every team, including Alabama at times. Bama usually gets theirs from the refs but other teams need other breaks. There is a reason we're 7 point underdogs and part of it is because we are playing on the road in the SEC. Turnovers or a kick return can make the difference.
As far as playing our A game wouldn't turnovers be considered part of our A game? Like if you get your hands on an interception you catch it?

Jacksondevildog
10-15-2018, 07:10 PM
This. Or maybe I?m just a bad fan.

BuckyIsAB****
10-15-2018, 09:04 PM
We should expect to win.

Because we didnt play a game saturday and LSU beat UGA pretty good. UGA was averaging about 7 YPC but decided to throw it and didnt tackle well on defense. Not taking anything away from LSU they were geeked up and ready to go after the L to UF but we are catching them at a good time

yjnkdawg
10-15-2018, 09:55 PM

We will be using hand signals with that unreal Tiger Stadium crowd noise. So hopefully we will get the snap off quicker to help eliminate any false starts.

Todd4State
10-15-2018, 10:26 PM
To me the thing about Tiger Stadium that I noticed and I think makes it more intimidating is the fact that they have that chain link fence right behind the bench and it makes it feel like their fans are right on top of you. It's almost a claustrophobic feeling.

But to me I don't think we will win mainly because we will be on the road. Based on the stats we have some things in our favor and I think we'll put up a good fight unless we go crazy and throw the ball everywhere or have a lot of turnovers. We could win- but we're going to have to play a heck of a game.

RougeDawg
10-15-2018, 11:34 PM
I will have a full pregame assessment before Friday evening. Having sat through the abortion of a game between auburn and LSU in September I?ll repeat for the 18th what I saw and what will beat both teams. I already said what would beat Auburn and it occurred. I?ll try to reference my post after the game I september about each defense.

jackindabox
10-19-2018, 09:11 AM
I just hope we win the coin toss. We need to be on defense first, because with that crowd I think if we get ball first we instantly have a three and out with three straight run plays, the crowd gets electric. If we start on D we can stop them and start settling into the game. Plus to be on offense in first in the second half would be a huge plus.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2018, 09:16 AM
I'm starting to feel like we win this game.

Duckdog
10-19-2018, 09:30 AM
I just hope we win the coin toss. We need to be on defense first, because with that crowd I think if we get ball first we instantly have a three and out with three straight run plays, the crowd gets electric. If we start on D we can stop them and start settling into the game. Plus to be on offense in first in the second half would be a huge plus.

This all day long

TrapGame
10-19-2018, 09:34 AM

That's probably the main reason we were in a position to win in 2014. That 3 and out by our defense then Dak taking down the field for a touchdown really messed with them.

LC Dawg
10-19-2018, 10:07 AM
I just looked out of curiosity and saw that Burrow has taken every snap at qb this year for LSU. Brennan hasn't touched the field. The only game he really could have taken many snaps would have been the SLU game. Doesn't really matter as long as Burrow stays healthy and I don't want to wish injury on anyone but I wouldn't mind for Burrow to have a long lasting equipment issue that keeps him off the field for a few series. I would like to see Brennan have his first action of the year against our defense.