PDA

View Full Version : We need to develop a passing game similar to Ole Miss

Todd4State
10-13-2018, 11:22 PM
And pair it with our rushing attack. And before anyone gives me the dumb Mississippi football players spiel- Ole Miss has TWO WR's from Mississippi.

Ole Miss wins at least one game a year because they are built to win a shootout. Now they certainly have major flaws like their defense and running game.

I want to keep doing what we do well with our running game and our great defensive play but we really need to develop a better passing system because as it is we are one dimensional and we're not built to win a game where we are behind.

Joe needs to focus on this in the offseason and our boosters need to open up the pocket books to get us some good receivers.

RougeDawg
10-13-2018, 11:25 PM
We just need a receiver or two who have the ability to simplify catch a cold. We are 1-2 WR away from a NC team this season. Who was responsible for offensive recruiting?

dawgday166
10-13-2018, 11:30 PM
We just need a receiver or two who have the ability to simplify catch a cold. We are 1-2 WR away from a NC team this season. Who was responsible for offensive recruiting?

Mullen, Gonzo, and Hev were.

Goldendawg
10-13-2018, 11:31 PM
Hard to get good WR's when they have not seen on the field the last several years. This is a "beating a dead horse" comment.* We are also not very good at opening pocket book$, ( See the Tyler years, Jackie years at times, Redmond situation, etc).

BhamDawg205
10-13-2018, 11:31 PM

1-2 WRs? How bout a QB completing above 60%. Oh The WRs drops. I see only a few teams in the SEC were the WRs catch consistently ie Bama, ole, and maybe A&M. And what do all have we don't a QB who throws a catchable ball and higher percentage.

Goldendawg
10-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Who was our last all SEC receiver?

dawgday166
10-13-2018, 11:35 PM

I'm convinced it was Mardye McDole **

RougeDawg
10-13-2018, 11:37 PM
1-2 WRs? How bout a QB completing above 60%. Oh The WRs drops. I see only a few teams in the SEC were the WRs catch consistently ie Bama, ole, and maybe A&M. And what do all have we don't a QB who throws a catchable ball and higher percentage.

I?m praying you are either a bearshart troll or have not had access to the real world for 10+ years.

Most SEC teams have NFL potential WR?s on their roster. Almost all have 2-4 potential Sunday receivers. I honestly see 0 on our roster. Give Fitz the OM receivers and he completes 10% more passes and is in New York early December for an award. Bear and The Fred brothers made Dak a better QB than he would have been if he had had our current set or WR?s.

Why is this so f*cking difficult to comprehend?

dawgday166
10-13-2018, 11:39 PM

C'mon dude. Did you watch all those catches TN made on AU today? They made plays on balls. Or FL's WRs been making. Almost no ball is ever between the numbers and yet, our WRs can't catch those. And I'm tired of the "catchable ball" thing too. Fitz threw 1 bullet last week on a 10 yarder to Guidry that hit his right in the hands. It was hard but he still should've caught it. Go back to 1st half of KY game ... Fitz was on target and all the balls were catchable, weren't rockets all the time, etc. And they're dropping them.

And when a DB is in their hip pocket on a crossing pattern, it has to be a bullet.

msstate7
10-13-2018, 11:40 PM
We were BA at wr in 2015

dawgday166
10-13-2018, 11:40 PM
I?m praying you are either a bearshart troll or have not had access to the real world for 10+ years.

Most SEC teams have NFL potential WR?s on their roster. Almost all have 2-4 potential Sunday receivers. I honestly see 0 on our roster. Give Fitz the OM receivers and he completes 10% more passes and is in New York early December for an award. Bear and The Fred brothers made Dak a better QB than he would have been if he had had our current set or WR?s.

I'm not even sure we have high school all-conference receivers on our roster.

Todd4State
10-13-2018, 11:42 PM

This is what is frustrating to me.

I think once Joe gets the pieces he needs our offense is going to really take off.

Todd4State
10-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Hard to get good WR's when they have not seen on the field the last several years. This is a "beating a dead horse" comment.* We are also not very good at opening pocket book$, ( See the Tyler years, Jackie years at times, Redmond situation, etc).

Our boosters need to nut up. Tyler was a prehistoric era. Jackie had no support from our AD. Redmond we over penalized ourselves. The NCAA has spoken- keep cheating within state borders.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2018, 11:51 PM
Melting down when we are off. We ARE MSU.

Todd4State
10-13-2018, 11:58 PM
Melting down when we are off. We ARE MSU.

Not really. More about discussion about how we can get better. It is what it is at this point. I find it encouraging that we can put together a defense like we have and our running backs are good. Add a passing game to those two things and we are 6-0 and challenging Bama for the SEC.

I just hope that Joe is the coach that finally understands that we need to be solid in all facets of the game to reach our full potential and I believe that he may be. If he recruits better than Dan did at least in terms of roster management we're going to go from 6-9 wins a year to a consistent 8-10 win a year team. That's the next step that Dan couldn't take us to because he wanted to go somewhere else.

yjnkdawg
10-13-2018, 11:58 PM
And pair it with our rushing attack. And before anyone gives me the dumb Mississippi football players spiel- Ole Miss has TWO WR's from Mississippi.

Ole Miss wins at least one game a year because they are built to win a shootout. Now they certainly have major flaws like their defense and running game.

I want to keep doing what we do well with our running game and our great defensive play but we really need to develop a better passing system because as it is we are one dimensional and we're not built to win a game where we are behind.

Joe needs to focus on this in the offseason and our boosters need to open up the pocket books to get us some good receivers.

I agree on all you said Todd, except for what I have in bold. Those big OM booster lawyers would burn us before the receivers even got on campus. They have been playing this game on paying players since the Johnny Vaught years, and this little bump in the road (NCAA sanctions) shows "The Network" what changes they need to make.

Todd4State
10-14-2018, 12:02 AM
I agree on all you said Todd, except for what I have in bold. Those big OM booster lawyers would burn us before the receivers even got on campus. They have been playing this game on paying players since the Johnny Vaught years, and this little bump in the road (NCAA sanctions) shows "The Network" what changes they need to make.

Because of Ole Miss I see it as an unfortunate necessity. I think there is a delicate balance there- we can burn them for paying our recruits that make it to MSU if we wanted to as well. We both have nukes. And I don't think they want to risk repeat violator status.

Liverpooldawg
10-14-2018, 12:05 AM
A meltdown when we didn't even play......lol....we will always be MSU. I've enjoyed the day, other than the Swine blowing it to an obviously inferior team.....lol. Lighten up Francis!

Todd4State
10-14-2018, 12:27 AM
A meltdown when we didn't even play......lol....we will always be MSU. I've enjoyed the day, other than the Swine blowing it to an obviously inferior team.....lol. Lighten up Francis!

I'm sure you did enjoy today. Florida won.

Now stop trolling Francis.

NCDawg
10-14-2018, 12:55 AM
C'mon dude. Did you watch all those catches TN made on AU today? They made plays on balls. Or FL's WRs been making. Almost no ball is ever between the numbers and yet, our WRs can't catch those. And I'm tired of the "catchable ball" thing too. Fitz threw 1 bullet last week on a 10 yarder to Guidry that hit his right in the hands. It was hard but he still should've caught it. Go back to 1st half of KY game ... Fitz was on target and all the balls were catchable, weren't rockets all the time, etc. And they're dropping them.

And when a DB is in their hip pocket on a crossing pattern, it has to be a bullet.

Not to mention the Florida TD drop, which probably cost us the game.

yjnkdawg
10-14-2018, 01:01 AM
Because of Ole Miss I see it as an unfortunate necessity. I think there is a delicate balance there- we can burn them for paying our recruits that make it to MSU if we wanted to as well. We both have nukes. And I don't think they want to risk repeat violator status.

One of my dad's best friends was a big OM supporter and an OM football booster, and his brother has been a major financial contributor to OM, and was one of the top OM football boosters at one time. You may be correct, and the Network could play cautious, but if they get the right opportunity, I think it will be back to business as usual, and yeah OM would burn us on that type of recruiting.

Todd4State
10-14-2018, 01:09 AM
One of my dad's best friends was a big OM supporter and an OM football booster, and his brother has been a major financial contributor to OM, and was one of the top OM football boosters at one time. You may be correct, and the Network could play cautious, but if they get the right opportunity, I think it will be back to business as usual, and yeah OM would burn us on that type of recruiting.

Eventually it will be back to business as usual if not worse with the slap on the wrist they got. I just hope that if they try to do something to us we actually have the balls to stand up for ourselves for once.

BuckyIsAB****
10-14-2018, 01:50 AM

We will never be OM and we shouldnt want to be. We are tougher than they are and we are going to stay tougher than they are. Let them put up 70 against bad defenses and we will keep pounding it.

We dont need to do shit like OM. Ever. We need to get better throwing the football and Moorhead hopefully learned his lesson and simplified his offense. He may never get the guys he needs to really run his style but what we can get is what we have. Tough blue collar mean and nasty kids that will cut your throat. Many a football game has been won by those types. So lets buy into it and believe in it.

The hell with OM. We will make them quit if we go up there and run the ball like we did vs Auburn. They wont have the ball long enough to show off that passing game you are drooling over

BhamDawg205
10-14-2018, 01:58 AM

Ok ok you win... So Fitz is a NC caliber QB now. So what NC QB is he on par with accuracy wise? I'm not saying we have world beaters at WRs. But stop acting Like Fitz only problem is the WR corps. So guess you only watched the games the WRs caught every ball. Shit Fitz can't read defenses that alone would keep him out of Heisman talk. So Fitz a better passer than Dak too? Yep you win if we had better WRs they would clean up Fitz's over throws, ankle level, reach back etc... passes

BhamDawg205
10-14-2018, 02:18 AM

I agree TN played better than they have all season. I even give FL has better talent at WR than we do. But stop with the Fitz was lights out in one game defense. Look at his body of work this year. Fitz is the equivalent of our FG kicking beforel last year. Win the ball is in the air we hold our breath, when it's on target we're surprised. Fitz is who he is a great runner playing QB. Not his fault limited QB experience, before college. Not his fault he's being ask to do something he's not ready for.

Dawg61
10-14-2018, 05:10 AM
Fitz is a worse passing Tebow and much worse at reading defenses. You give Fitz Antonio Brown, Julio Jones and AJ Green we still ain't winning the NC when our QB and OTs can't identify or stop the most obvious of all blitzes straight in their faces.

We are what we are this year on offense and that means we can beat just about anybody when our QB can run for 190 yards and our HBs can run for over 150 but we'll struggle to beat anybody when he and they can't run at all. Turn us into a passing team and we lose this year. Good news is that's just this year as our backup throws a much more catchable ball. Key doesn't throw the ball nearly as hard as Fitz. It's called touch. WRs always catch more passes that have touch on them as opposed to nuclear lasers. Tennessee was catching those balls yesterday because they had loft and touch on them.

gravedigger
10-14-2018, 07:04 AM

we need to develop a passing game like penn state last year

dawgday166
10-14-2018, 07:13 AM
I agree TN played better than they have all season. I even give FL has better talent at WR than we do. But stop with the Fitz was lights out in one game defense. Look at his body of work this year. Fitz is the equivalent of our FG kicking beforel last year. Win the ball is in the air we hold our breath, when it's on target we're surprised. Fitz is who he is a great runner playing QB. Not his fault limited QB experience, before college. Not his fault he's being ask to do something he's not ready for.

You do realize both the WR and QB make reads at the LOS presnap don't you? I'm not saying Fitz can't get better. I'm saying it ain't all on him and he can throw it where he wants to. When he misses bad it's a mixup between what the WR and him are reading, or he's under a lot of pressure. Now if we want to question his reads, I may say that is part of the issue. In early-to-mid 2016 and this year the pressure has been very high in the pocket.

Based on last week's performance I also now believe his confidence is shaken somewhat too. Did you watch the replay of the pick he threw last week? (which by the way was a rocket and the AU LB caught it ... imagine that). All three receivers to short side of field ran mini-post to post patterns ... so all three were lined up vertically down the field in the same general areas for the most part. It was a terrible set of routes. Quite a few defenders were in that area all lined up vertically with receivers down the field.

In 2016 as a RS Soph, with a crap OL to begin the first 6 games of the year, he completed 54%, for 2423 yds, 21 td, 10 ints, and a 124 QBR. Fred Ross caught 71 passes for 917 yds and a healthy Donald Gray getting covered by the other teams 2nd best CB (as opposed to their best CB ins 2017) caught 41 for 709. That's an average yds/catch of 12.9 and 17.29 respectively. And the boy had a ton of drops that year too, many by Fred Ross cause I was getting pissed at Ross for dropping them. Can't remember which game, but I believe Ross dropped one inside the 10 or 5 that was nice and soft with some air under it, that would've won a game for us that year.

Go back and watch Bama game last year ... he was on the money all night except for like 2 bad throws or misreads.

I'm sure he does make the wrong reads somewhat this year. I also think the Johnson's Oline coaching is not up to par in handling different blitz packages. Overall I'm saying it's a collective offensive thing and it sure pisses me off how many balls our WRs drop that are nice and soft and hit them in the hands. If you're an SEC receiver and can get both hands on the ball, it should be caught period ... all this "catchable" ball crap is just that ... crap. Terry Bradshaw and his rocket arm comes to mind when people say Fitz doesn't throw a "catchable" ball. That's bullshit. Bradshaw threw rockets and so did Favre ... both are in the HOF.

The only real question I have on Nick is his ability to read defenses and make it through progressions, especially post-snap. But with our wideouts, it's difficult to say whether he can do that or not. None of them seem to be able to separate from a quality LB hardly, much less quality SEC DBs. Guidry can but then he drops easy passes. Mixon can too. Outside of that, not sure about any of the others. And God forbid any of them have to stretch their arms out, jump, or twist in the air to catch a pass that is thrown where they can catch it and the DB can't. We got a bunch of WRs that wanna play powder puff football *

msstate7
10-14-2018, 07:24 AM
we need to develop a passing game like penn state last year

It would help having the best rb to enter the draft in years, who is a great receiver. Barkley caught 54 balls last season with an avg over 11 yards.

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2018, 08:29 AM
I've been an MSU fan since 1990.
In that time we have produced exactly 2 WR who have caught passes in NFL games. Eric Moulds and Lance Long.

Not having SEC quality WR isn't a new thing and has long been a major hinderance on our passing game.

Cooterpoot
10-14-2018, 08:32 AM
It was 17ing AR. Jesus people. We should pound both those teams. Everybody wants an improved passing game, but they just beat a terrible AR team that lost their entire offensive backfield.

msstate7
10-14-2018, 08:33 AM
I've been an MSU fan since 1990.
In that time we have produced exactly 2 WR who have caught passes in NFL games. Eric Moulds and Lance Long.

Not having SEC quality WR isn't a new thing and has long been a major hinderance on our passing game.
We don't even need nfl WRs. In 2015, bear, Ross, fred brown, gray, and dear were great. We can win a bunch of games with just good college WRs

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2018, 08:39 AM
We don't even need nfl WRs. In 2015, bear, Ross, fred brown, gray, and dear were great. We can win a bunch of games with just good college WRs
And you can see the major difference in Fitz when he had Ross, Gray, and a healthy Dear and Mixon in 2016 and now. Our WR are as much of a problem in the passing game as Fitz' ability to read Ds and consistently deliver a catchable ball. Didn't we already beat this dead horse earlier in the week??

Red Sox Dawg
10-14-2018, 08:57 AM
We need better receivers. I agree we don't have receivers who fight for the ball. We don't have receivers that make great plays on the ball either. No doubt that can be improved. Talent on offense as a whole needs to be upgraded. Before you jump on me, the current talent of our offense is not good enough to win Championships, or to go to the next level. We have good players, some are good SEC players. But we don't have the talent on offense, especially the O-line, to win the conference on our current roster. That's just my opinion.

On defense, we have good talent. Add a couple more guys and you could say the defense is Championship level.

I have been watching SEC football for over 50 years and one thing I can tell you about SEC Champions, they all have Elite offensive lines. They all have Elite defensive lines. Great defense, good special teams, and controlling the line of scrimmage wins SEC Championships.

Our defense is close, just a couple of players away and we continue to recruit well on defense. Our offense hasn't taken that step yet. I'm not knocking Moorhead, Mullen and staff recruited this team and the talent on offense is not Joe's doing. But, until we get Elite offensive lineman our offense won't take the next step in my opinion.

We need better offensive linemen, and better talent on offense. We also need better better special teams. I think some may have over estimated the talent on this team. We have a good team. It's just not Championship caliber.

It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

MarketingBully
10-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Everyone of those kids on TN who made plays in the passing game were 4 stars or higher. We have Guidry and Whop who are the only four star receivers we have. Hell, the TN QB was the #4 DT QB coming out of high school. Guess where Nick was? 1000000 out of high school. Dan never got this which is why we sucked in the passing game. When it comes to the skill positions stars ****ing matter.

MarketingBully
10-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Hell, how much better would we have been had Dan not screwed up our relationship with AJ Brown and he was on our team? Odds are good he’d take the place of Mitchell and we’d be undefeated just because he’s that good. It’s going to take some time for us to start getting receivers again because of the flaming hole Mullen put us in in the passing game. I do trust once Joe gets his QB here that will attract the receivers we want to come here. In the long run, I think we will be okay but in the short term we have Sun Belt receivers with a QB that can only throw 90 mph fast balls to them.

Doggie_Style
10-14-2018, 09:14 AM
At the end of the day it comes down to recruiting.....Joe needs to figure out how to land talent quick or we are looking at no running game to go along with our no passing game

maroonmania
10-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Is their someone on the board that DOESN"T want us to develop a much better passing game?

yjnkdawg
10-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Hell, how much better would we have been had Dan not screwed up our relationship with AJ Brown and he was on our team? Odds are good he’d take the place of Mitchell and we’d be undefeated just because he’s that good. It’s going to take some time for us to start getting receivers again because of the flaming hole Mullen put us in in the passing game. I do trust once Joe gets his QB here that will attract the receivers we want to come here. In the long run, I think we will be okay but in the short term we have Sun Belt receivers with a QB that can only throw 90 mph fast balls to them.

If we were on a level playing field in recruiting, with OM back then, which we weren't, then DM may have possibly been a factor. The OM Network was determined that AJ would be at OM so what DM did or thought really had no relevance to where AJ would play his college ball.

TUSK
10-14-2018, 11:39 AM
We need better receivers. I agree we don't have receivers who fight for the ball. We don't have receivers that make great plays on the ball either. No doubt that can be improved. Talent on offense as a whole needs to be upgraded. Before you jump on me, the current talent of our offense is not good enough to win Championships, or to go to the next level. We have good players, some are good SEC players. But we don't have the talent on offense, especially the O-line, to win the conference on our current roster. That's just my opinion.

On defense, we have good talent. Add a couple more guys and you could say the defense is Championship level.

I have been watching SEC football for over 50 years and one thing I can tell you about SEC Champions, they all have Elite offensive lines. They all have Elite defensive lines. Great defense, good special teams, and controlling the line of scrimmage wins SEC Championships.

Our defense is close, just a couple of players away and we continue to recruit well on defense. Our offense hasn't taken that step yet. I'm not knocking Moorhead, Mullen and staff recruited this team and the talent on offense is not Joe's doing. But, until we get Elite offensive lineman our offense won't take the next step in my opinion.

We need better offensive linemen, and better talent on offense. We also need better better special teams. I think some may have over estimated the talent on this team. We have a good team. It's just not Championship caliber.

It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

+1