PDA

View Full Version : McCann could get 100 million

msstate7
10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Well brave fans kiss him goodbye.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpostindex?blogname=new-yorkyankees&tag=new-york-yankees

Sorry I'm a brave fanatic...

Homedawg
10-15-2013, 06:18 PM
He's not worth it let someone else deal with that salary. Think it's over priced.

TopDog58
10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
No NL team is going to pay him that as a 29 year old catcher with a average to below average arm. If his power is on the decline then his pull hitting is going to cause him lots of trouble, as the infield shift has caught up with him the last couple of years.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 06:21 PM
No NL team is going to pay him that as a 29 year old catcher with a average to below average arm. If his power is on the decline then his pull hitting is going to cause him lots of trouble, as the infield shift has caught up with him the last couple of years.

The dodgers or Yankees might. I really think the Yankees pull the trigger. He'll hit upper 30 hr's with that short porch in right. I'm ready to move on anyway. I just want the braves to make the qualifying offer and get the compensation pick

HereComesTheSpiral
10-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the Angels Mr McCann

msstate7
10-15-2013, 07:02 PM

Ahhh...forgot about the angels. Good call

HereComesTheSpiral
10-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Ahhh...forgot about the angels. Good call

I was just joking around, but after saying it, I can see it happening.

dawgs
10-15-2013, 07:32 PM
and this is why the yankees are about to really really really suck until they figure out you can't buy your way to a playoff spot with long term, high price free agents in the post-steroids era when you already have a roster full of overpaid past-their-prime contracts. i guess they didn't learn throwing $$$$ and long term deals at other free agents about to turn 30 or over 30. the dodgers better win now because they'll be in the same boat in about 3-4 years. they should take that $100M and invest it into international scouting and player development. the fans might disappear for a couple of seasons, but they'll come back in 5 years when the yanks have a nice young nucleus to build around that's not eating up the payroll well after their primes.

bully99
10-15-2013, 07:37 PM
He'll be 30 when the season starts and he's an old 30. Lots of injuries and weight issues. Rumor that rangers might be interested in converting him to first base to replace Mitch Moreland. Not sure about that. Followed him for a long time because his dad played at State. Don't think he's worth 100m

msstate7
10-15-2013, 09:21 PM
In other brave free agent news, seems huddy is a possibility next season. If he isn't expensive and it's a short deal, I like it. I also hope Eric o'flaherty is re-signed

David O'Brien ?@ajcbraves
#Braves Wren indicated interest in re-signing Tim Hudson

Will James
10-15-2013, 09:32 PM
A huddy discount would be good. That Mac deal would be one of the worst in baseball history

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2013, 11:51 PM
I love Huddy, but there's a good chance that David Price will be on the market. We should make that trade happen. Huddy won't be what we're used to when he comes back. Late 30s and a broken ankle is a BAD combo. He'll probably still be good, but he won't be that #1 or #2 guy he has been. But if we go get Price, we'd have one of the best rotations in baseball next season:

1. Price
2. Medlen
3. Minor
4. Teheran
5. Beachy

That lets us keep Wood in the bullpen, which we need. O'Flaherty and Venters probably won't be back until around mid-season. And there's absolutely no guarantee Venters will be the same after a second TJS. It's a small sample size, but the guys who have had 2 TJ surgeries have all been pretty bad afterwards. The only real downside is the amount of prospects we'd have to deal for Price. But I say it's worth it to get a power LHP that can challenge for a Cy Young every year.

msstate7
10-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Price isn't free agent. The rays are looking to trade him though. From what I've gathered it would cost us gattis, wood, and Teheran. No thanks...

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 12:27 AM
and this is why the yankees are about to really really really suck until they figure out you can't buy your way to a playoff spot with long term, high price free agents in the post-steroids era when you already have a roster full of overpaid past-their-prime contracts. i guess they didn't learn throwing $$$$ and long term deals at other free agents about to turn 30 or over 30. the dodgers better win now because they'll be in the same boat in about 3-4 years. they should take that $100M and invest it into international scouting and player development. the fans might disappear for a couple of seasons, but they'll come back in 5 years when the yanks have a nice young nucleus to build around that's not eating up the payroll well after their primes.

That's actually why the Yankees couldn't sign Pujols, Hamilton, etc over the past few years. They have too many bad contracts- and contrary to popular belief, they do have limits.

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 12:28 AM
A huddy discount would be good. That Mac deal would be one of the worst in baseball history

It might be THE worst depending on how many years it is.

Todd4State
10-16-2013, 12:30 AM

They'll go after Robinson Cano. Of course the Dodgers will too.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Price isn't free agent. The rays are looking to trade him though. From what I've gathered it would cost us gattis, wood, and Teheran. No thanks...

Which is exactly what I said - Price is on the market. "On the market" isn't an exclusive term for free agency. That said, if the price for Price is the 3 guys you mentioned - HELL NO. Gattis will be our starting catcher next year, Teheran finally looked like the guy we've heard he was for the last 3 years, and Wood will be a big part of our staff going forward whether it's in the rotation or out of the bullpen.

msstate7
10-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Which is exactly what I said - Price is on the market. "On the market" isn't an exclusive term for free agency. That said, if the price for Price is the 3 guys you mentioned - HELL NO. Gattis will be our starting catcher next year, Teheran finally looked like the guy we've heard he was for the last 3 years, and Wood will be a big part of our staff going forward whether it's in the rotation or out of the bullpen.

Yeah apparently the rays are gonna want something ridiculous for price. Price isn't without risk either. He's lost 2 mph off this fastball since this time last year. Price is still great, but not worth the sticker price considering we probably couldn't resign him anyway

dawgs
10-16-2013, 11:05 AM
And there's absolutely no guarantee Venters will be the same after a second TJS. It's a small sample size, but the guys who have had 2 TJ surgeries have all been pretty bad afterwards.

a high % of them have been pretty bad, but not all of them. for instance, brian wilson has been pretty great for the dodgers in the limited time he's been back.

Dawg61
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Grienke signed for 6yr 150m. I would assume Price is worth around 180m as a free agent. Braves fans can forget about Price.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2013, 11:22 AM
a high % of them have been pretty bad, but not all of them. for instance, brian wilson has been pretty great for the dodgers in the limited time he's been back.

I said it was a small sample size. Hopefully JV is one of the exceptions, but it's far from a certainty.

BoomBoom
10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I love Huddy, but there's a good chance that David Price will be on the market. We should make that trade happen. Huddy won't be what we're used to when he comes back. Late 30s and a broken ankle is a BAD combo. He'll probably still be good, but he won't be that #1 or #2 guy he has been. But if we go get Price, we'd have one of the best rotations in baseball next season:

1. Price
2. Medlen
3. Minor
4. Teheran
5. Beachy

That lets us keep Wood in the bullpen, which we need. O'Flaherty and Venters probably won't be back until around mid-season. And there's absolutely no guarantee Venters will be the same after a second TJS. It's a small sample size, but the guys who have had 2 TJ surgeries have all been pretty bad afterwards. The only real downside is the amount of prospects we'd have to deal for Price. But I say it's worth it to get a power LHP that can challenge for a Cy Young every year.

The price will start at 1 of Gattis or Bethancourt, plus 2 of Wood, Hale, Sims, Graham, and Teheran. No thanks.

Venters will be non-tendered. Maybe O'Flaherty too. No need for $4-5M bullpen arms coming off injury.

Wood will not be in the pen. Meds will be on the block. So, theyre thinking a rotation of Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Hudson, and Wood.

dawgs
10-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I said it was a small sample size. Hopefully JV is one of the exceptions, but it's far from a certainty.

yeah but you said all of them. it's not all of them, it's most of them.