PDA

View Full Version : Stros.... for the repeat....

RougeDawg
10-11-2018, 10:40 PM
As a lifelong Astros fan in south Mississippi I was not the majority. Our family used to take summer trips to Houston. We would stay at the Holiday Inn across from the dome. Day time was AstroWorld and we would be in the Dome by 6-6:30 for the game(seeing BP was an added Benefit). My family was fortunate enough to have played with or know players on the Astros or opposing teams to get a more intimate experience. Those days as a little kid will be forever ingrained in my mind.

Last year was awesome to see them finally win it. Even more awesome it was great to see a former teammate get a WS ring. I?m hoping they do back to back for first time since 2000 Yanks, who did it 3 years in a row.

In the words is Sheila Jackson Lee ?Go Astros? and ?Southern Boyzzzzzz?. There is a YouTube link if you want to see SheJack in these two instances. I highly recommend them. But I warn not to have any liquid in they mouth prior to watching.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2018, 11:00 PM
I'm a Braves fan but love the way the Astros play the game. Pulled for em last year and am pulling for them again! Love Altuve!

Bully13
10-11-2018, 11:06 PM
As a lifelong Astros fan in south Mississippi I was not the majority. Our family used to take summer trips to Houston. We would stay at the Holiday Inn across from the dome. Day time was AstroWorld and we would be in the Dome by 6-6:30 for the game(seeing BP was an added Benefit). My family was fortunate enough to have played with or know players on the Astros or opposing teams to get a more intimate experience. Those days as a little kid will be forever ingrained in my mind.

Last year was awesome to see them finally win it. Even more awesome it was great to see a former teammate get a WS ring. I?m hoping they do back to back for first time since 2000 Yanks, who did it 3 years in a row.

In the words is Sheila Jackson Lee ?Go Astros? and ?Southern Boyzzzzzz?. There is a YouTube link if you want to see SheJack in these two instances. I highly recommend them. But I warn not to have any liquid in they mouth prior to watching.

Cool Story Man. Keep us updated. I love life / baseball stories. Grew up watching the Mets in Jack Town. Davey Johnson and the Boys won back to back Texas League Championships. Was lucky enough to have tickets to game 7 in '86 in Flushing.

Go Stros.

mparkerfd20
10-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Red Sox and Brewers.

Bully13
10-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Red Sox and Brewers.

Is there a cooler name in baseball than Brewers?

Dawg61
10-11-2018, 11:47 PM
I honestly could seen any of the 4 remaining teams take it this year. Brewers are probably the least likely of the 4 but they have the nastiest bullpen so if they can get enough hitting they can do it. Nobody is touching Hader. He's unhittable right now.

Bully13
10-11-2018, 11:55 PM
I honestly could seen any of the 4 remaining teams take it this year. Brewers are probably the least likely of the 4 but they have the nastiest bullpen so if they can get enough hitting they can do it. Nobody is touching Hader. He's unhittable right now.

solid post 61. I would like to see more mound huddles in October. Pitcher and catcher chatting with the other 7 as to what's gonna take place. Tell us more about this Hader pitcher you speak of.

sscjr1
10-12-2018, 08:34 AM
I got to meet Jeff Bagwell when he was doing a rehab stint in Jackson back in the mid 90s. Had a chance to go fishing with him and the team at a lake down the road from my house, but it was on a weekday. Mom vetoed that one. Should've skipped school

Red Sox Dawg
10-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Astros are good but don't count my Red Sox out.

Been a Red Sox fan since 1975. My dad went to State with Boo Ferris and I met him in the fall that year right as the playoffs were starting. He told me to watch out for the Red Sox, they were going to win it all. And the rest of the story...(as the immortal Paul Harvey used to say) is the Red Sox lost in 7 to Cincinnati in what many consider the best World Series ever. I still became a fan, and have been one ever since. Seen about a dozen games at Fenway through the years, great ballpark.

Last year's playoff series between the Stros and the Red Sox was really good, that Astros team was the best team in baseball last year. This year is still to be determined. Should be a great series.

Go Red Sox!

parabrave
10-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Lets go Brew Crew. Hey got to support Mississippis' Winning Minor League team the Biloxi Shuckers. The Brewers have got a good Pitching staff and one of the best outfields in the majors. Buuuutttttt might as well give the Sox both trophies when they win the ALCS.

Political Hack
10-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Didn't think I was gonna see an SJL reference in this thread. I've got some good stories there. Lol.

Red Sox Dawg
10-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Lets go Brew Crew. Hey got to support Mississippis' Winning Minor League team the Biloxi Shuckers. The Brewers have got a good Pitching staff and one of the best outfields in the majors. Buuuutttttt might as well give the Sox both trophies when they win the ALCS.

I'm confident but anything can happen. The ALCS should be awesome.

Dawg61
10-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Red Sox pitching falls off a cliff after Sale and Kimbrel. Rest of the staff is average at best. Price is struggling and is 0-9 in the post season then they have Eovaldi and Porcello as their next best. Sox can really hit but pitching wins in the playoffs and I don't think they have enough of it this year.

parabrave
10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Red Sox pitching falls off a cliff after Sale and Kimbrel. Rest of the staff is average at best. Price is struggling and is 0-9 in the post season then they have Eovaldi and Porcello as their next best. Sox can really hit but pitching wins in the playoffs and I don't think they have enough of it this year.

Yeah but sometimes good timely hitting overcomes good pitching. The Stros and Sox have about the same number of HRs but the RSox have almost 100 RBIs more than the Stros. Red Sox in 6.

Red Sox Dawg
10-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Price definitely has to step up, he has a lot to prove. He did pitch well after the All-Star break, but had a couple of rough outings especially against the Yankees. When he's on, he's good. Porcello has done it before and has really had a solid year (17 wins), but he can be hit when he doesn't locate. I'm not as familiar with Eovaldi because I didn't watch him all year, but he had 3-4 strong performance after the trade. He also had 3-4 bad ones. You could see Edwardo Rodriguez moved into the rotation and Eovaldi moved to the bullpen. We won 108 games and just finished off the Yankees so I don't think pitching falls off a cliff, but our bullpen has been up and down. We have pretty good pitching when they are on. So do the Astros.

Pitching does make a difference this time of year. Going to be fun to watch.

Another note, Price (2012) and Porcello (2016) have both won a Cy Young award so they can pitch.

Boston
10-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Go Sox!

IMissJack
10-12-2018, 03:54 PM
'Stros in 7.