PDA

View Full Version : The Braves Off-Season Thread (Aka only one till March)

Pages : 1 [2]

BoomBoom
02-18-2019, 05:15 PM
I understand losing draft picks and not wanting to give away too much, but when you're coming off a division championship and supposedly entering into a stretch of years that you'll be competing for division titles and try to win a World Series and the teams in your division and loading up on additions, you have to do something. Craig Kimbrel is hanging out in Orlando asking Freddie Freeman to play golf and stuff. The Braves basically never get a free agent, but it appears that Kimbrel would like to be in Atlanta, so if nothing else figure out a way to get him on the team. Draft picks are all well and good but holding onto them doesn't put butts in the seats or help you compete on the field this year.

Ok, which ones do you keep and which do you trade? Oh, it's debateable and too early to tell? Welcome to their situation. I think they are making the right move: evaluate the young talent for another half season then adjust.

MetEdDawg
02-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Ok, which ones do you keep and which do you trade? Oh, it's debateable and too early to tell? Welcome to their situation. I think they are making the right move: evaluate the young talent for another half season then adjust.

I'm sort of in agreement with you but I do think we should have made one more move, whether it be for a SP or catcher not named Realmuto (Marlins wanted two of three out of Pache, Riley or Anderson/Wright/Wilson and we weren't doing that)

The problem is that those guys are who everyone wants. At some point you have to pull the trigger and say ok let's do this. If we want Mad Bum, we are gonna have to give up some top talent whether it's now or in the middle of the season. But potential gets you more in the trade world than average to slightly above average results in the MLB because everyone can then pick apart someone who isn't dominant in the majors in their first year or two. And let's be real. Sims, Allard, and a few others aren't legit guys to sell.

To me the pitchers that people want are Soroka, Touki, Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Gohara. Those 6 are guys that have the most potential and are the ones others want. Can't keep that many on roster and you can't be afraid one you give away is the next Wainwright. To me if you can give up Wilson, Anderson and another piece for MadBum you do that. We can't keep all 6 pitchers plus Pache and Riley. The more the play the more value they lose unless they light it up.

We need to take a chance but it has to be the right chance. A two year controllable catcher like a Realmuto is good, but not enough to push us past last year. I personally would have rather experimented with Camargo/Riley at 3B and signed Harper. That's a potential game changer. But at this point we need a starter. Need to dump Teheran to make it happen and let Touki/Wright/Soroka battle out for the 5/6 starter spot (already been said we would use 6 during the year sometimes).

But I agree it has to be the right deal at the right time. If we had 1 or 2 more position players in the minors pushing to play I guarantee we would have made a deal already. But Riley and Pache are it for at least the next 2 years. Maybe longer.

Speaking of longer, this post went way longer than I originally anticipated. My apologies.

parabrave
02-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Dam Padres what are you thinking Machado for 300M. That guy completely tanked in the WS. Harpers price just went up,

BoomBoom
02-19-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm sort of in agreement with you but I do think we should have made one more move, whether it be for a SP or catcher not named Realmuto (Marlins wanted two of three out of Pache, Riley or Anderson/Wright/Wilson and we weren't doing that)

The problem is that those guys are who everyone wants. At some point you have to pull the trigger and say ok let's do this. If we want Mad Bum, we are gonna have to give up some top talent whether it's now or in the middle of the season. But potential gets you more in the trade world than average to slightly above average results in the MLB because everyone can then pick apart someone who isn't dominant in the majors in their first year or two. And let's be real. Sims, Allard, and a few others aren't legit guys to sell.

To me the pitchers that people want are Soroka, Touki, Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Gohara. Those 6 are guys that have the most potential and are the ones others want. Can't keep that many on roster and you can't be afraid one you give away is the next Wainwright. To me if you can give up Wilson, Anderson and another piece for MadBum you do that. We can't keep all 6 pitchers plus Pache and Riley. The more the play the more value they lose unless they light it up.

We need to take a chance but it has to be the right chance. A two year controllable catcher like a Realmuto is good, but not enough to push us past last year. I personally would have rather experimented with Camargo/Riley at 3B and signed Harper. That's a potential game changer. But at this point we need a starter. Need to dump Teheran to make it happen and let Touki/Wright/Soroka battle out for the 5/6 starter spot (already been said we would use 6 during the year sometimes).

But I agree it has to be the right deal at the right time. If we had 1 or 2 more position players in the minors pushing to play I guarantee we would have made a deal already. But Riley and Pache are it for at least the next 2 years. Maybe longer.

Speaking of longer, this post went way longer than I originally anticipated. My apologies.

The problem is that assumes Dansby and Albies work out. If one or both crash and burn this season, now you can trade those pitchers to replace them. Much more so dansby than albies.

I think they recognized that this was not the time to go all in. Too many unknowns. Rotate Carmago and Riley through the lineup, rotate the SPs through the rotation and Gwinnett, evaluate and then make your move.

I also think RF was the problem. There just wasnt a great player available at a reasonable price. Without that, it hamstrung them. Why trade prospects now with a giant hole in RF? I think they fill that by midseason, and any other necessary moves will follow.

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2019, 02:04 PM
The problem is that assumes Dansby and Albies work out. If one or both crash and burn this season, now you can trade those pitchers to replace them. Much more so dansby than albies.

I think they recognized that this was not the time to go all in. Too many unknowns. Rotate Carmago and Riley through the lineup, rotate the SPs through the rotation and Gwinnett, evaluate and then make your move.

I also think RF was the problem. There just wasnt a great player available at a reasonable price. Without that, it hamstrung them. Why trade prospects now with a giant hole in RF? I think they fill that by midseason, and any other necessary moves will follow.

Who goes after Harper? With 10 years being the biggest issue, more than likely he will be on the down side of a good career. Of course hitting .248 or whatever he did last year doesn't bode well for paying him that kind of money. You could almost say Hunter Renfroe would give almost the same production as last year's Harper.

Is Mike Trout set to go to the Yankees next year? He grew up in New Jersey and he will be the biggest free agent in history. He is actually as good as Harper thinks of himself.

parabrave
02-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Who goes after Harper? With 10 years being the biggest issue, more than likely he will be on the down side of a good career. Of course hitting .248 or whatever he did last year doesn't bode well for paying him that kind of money. You could almost say Hunter Renfroe would give almost the same production as last year's Harper.

Is Mike Trout set to go to the Yankees next year? He grew up in New Jersey and he will be the biggest free agent in history. He is actually as good as Harper thinks of himself.

Would not want to see the Yankees with Trout in their lineup. Stanton, Judge and Trout dam

MetEdDawg
02-19-2019, 02:57 PM

RF was a massive issue this go around. The contracts going around for older OFs or guys that used to be good were insane. I'm ok with what we did, but I thought getting Markakis on the cheap like we did would allow us to make more moves after we locked him up. That didn't happen.

I think Dansby doesn't work out and we are going to have to make a move at SS. Either Camargo goes there or we make a trade. We are probably going to need money for that so I think we will have to save some or dump a salary like Teheran in a trade.

I will say I was not overly thrilled about the class of free agents this year. Best things to do was make a trade and dump a salary like Teheran. I still think that's a possibility. I like Keuchel. He hasn't lived up to the billing but I think he could do very well in our rotation. We are going to have to make some deadline moves. Hopefully we don't have to give up as much when we get there to that point.

Really Clark?
02-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Y’all are wanting to trade Dansby too soon. He played most of the year last season with a hurt wrist and eventual surgery. Prior to that he was hitting about .280, although it was early in the year. The wrist issue started in May. But he added the pop anyway. Simplified things in his swing from 2017. If he can hit .250-.260 with 15-20 HR’s, that would be plenty enough production paired with him ending up as one of the better defensive SS in the game. Big improvement from 2017. We need to see him put it together this season and stay healthy but he is about to hit his prime. This year probably tells us a lot.

parabrave
02-19-2019, 03:57 PM
Scruffy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is too much of a ticket attraction. I would've rather gone after a pitcher or 2 than another infielder or for that matter an outfielder.

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Scruffy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is too much of a ticket attraction. I would've rather gone after a pitcher or 2 than another infielder or for that matter an outfielder.

Hometown boy is a pretty big pull. If he was hurt and it affected his hitting then hopefully he is over it. He was one of the better defensive SS last year.

msu15
02-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Would not want to see the Yankees with Trout in their lineup. Stanton, Judge and Trout dam

It's my hope that they reason they sat out on Machado and Harper is because they want to try Arenado and Trout, otherwise I just can't understand it. Maybe Andujar pans out, I just don't see it compared to Manny.

Matty Dispatch
02-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Kimbrel is a free agent. Signing him means you give up no prospects, only some future draft picks.

Tbonewannabe
02-20-2019, 11:58 AM
Kimbrel is a free agent. Signing him means you give up no prospects, only some future draft picks.

Getting back the Carter Stewart pick was huge in this regard. What pick would they have to give up?

msstate7
02-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Getting back the Carter Stewart pick was huge in this regard. What pick would they have to give up?

3rd pick. Unfortunately for the braves, that's a 2nd round pick bc we got the extra 1st over Stewart. Not only would we lose the 2nd round pick, but also the pool money... might be big with us getting 2 1st round picks

shoeless joe
02-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Hometown boy is a pretty big pull. If he was hurt and it affected his hitting then hopefully he is over it. He was one of the better defensive SS last year.

We?re frenchy and heyward not hometown boys?

BoomBoom
02-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Y?all are wanting to trade Dansby too soon. He played most of the year last season with a hurt wrist and eventual surgery. Prior to that he was hitting about .280, although it was early in the year. The wrist issue started in May. But he added the pop anyway. Simplified things in his swing from 2017. If he can hit .250-.260 with 15-20 HR?s, that would be plenty enough production paired with him ending up as one of the better defensive SS in the game. Big improvement from 2017. We need to see him put it together this season and stay healthy but he is about to hit his prime. This year probably tells us a lot.

I hope so, but wasnt this mysterious hurt wrist the exact same excuse given with Schafer?

BoomBoom
02-20-2019, 03:44 PM

He's a big risk at $80M plus a pick. Lots of downward trending peripherals last year. And closers are overrated anyway.

msstate7
02-20-2019, 03:50 PM
I hope so, but wasnt this mysterious hurt wrist the exact same excuse given with Schafer?

In the philly series before he went on DL, you could see him wince on swings

Really Clark?
02-20-2019, 04:20 PM

I can?t remember if it was Hamete bone or wrist for Shafer but his biggest issue was he wasn?t nearly as good after getting popped for PED?s and suspended. Dansby did end up having surgery in Nov

Really Clark?
02-20-2019, 04:21 PM
In the philly series before he went on DL, you could see him wince on swings

Yep he did.

Matty Dispatch
02-21-2019, 07:50 AM
He's a big risk at $80M plus a pick. Lots of downward trending peripherals last year. And closers are overrated anyway.

You're right. Who needs a hall of famer. Let's hope one of these 20 year olds can do the trick.

BoomBoom
02-21-2019, 02:00 PM
You're right. Who needs a hall of famer. Let's hope one of these 20 year olds can do the trick.

Well hell, let's just sign Harper for $5B then.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 07:17 AM
Braves first ST game today at 12 vs Mets. Touki starting, followed by allard, I think

MetEdDawg
02-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Soroka has had some shoulder issues after tweaking it during a workout about a month ago. They've shut him down for 4-5 days to see if it gets better.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Soroka has had some shoulder issues after tweaking it during a workout about a month ago. They've shut him down for 4-5 days to see if it gets better.

Yeah, may be getting close to panic time on him. Hopefully this is just super cautious

parabrave
02-23-2019, 12:34 PM
At least Gohara came back in shape and is healed up. But I don't see him in a starter role but in a mid relief.

parabrave
02-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Beside TT the only draw for today is Pache and Riley. Camargos playing SS.

msstate7
02-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Beside TT the only draw for today is Pache and Riley. Camargos playing SS.

Jenista and lugbauer are prospects. Alex Jackson is hanging by a thread

parabrave
02-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Batter up.

parabrave
02-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Is the NL going to the DH or is it just a spring training thing? BTW Braves draw 1st blood, 2-0 top of the2nd.

msstate7
03-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Injuries (or maybe injuries) starting to mount up.

Soroka
Swanson
Minter
Folty
Gausman
Donaldson was a scratch (may be nothing)

Tbonewannabe
03-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Soroka
Swanson
Minter
Folty
Gausman

Folty and Gausman would knock the Braves out of the Playoffs. No chance they can overcome losing both of those guys. Probably can't overcome losing Folty anyway.

parabrave
03-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Well at least we won't have to worry about Moylan anymore. He announced his retirement.

MetEdDawg
03-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Soroka
Swanson
Minter
Folty
Gausman

Folty and Gausman are supposed to be ready Opening week, but not opening day. Donaldson is supposed to get his first action Sunday.

To me if we aren't actively looking for a front line starter we are stupid. There are 3 starters that could potentially not be ready Opening Day. If you aren't as an organization looking at ways to make sure you are ok on the starting rotation then we are very clearly stating we don't want to win.

Our front office should be busting the doors of the Giants down asking about Mad Bum. We should be in contact with Keuchel. We should be asking the Indians what it might take to make them give up one of their starters. Those are things good teams do in situations like this and I'm convinced AA is scared he is going to give up someone that ends up being really good, so he's scared to pull the trigger.

BoomBoom
03-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Folty and Gausman are supposed to be ready Opening week, but not opening day. Donaldson is supposed to get his first action Sunday.

To me if we aren't actively looking for a front line starter we are stupid. There are 3 starters that could potentially not be ready Opening Day. If you aren't as an organization looking at ways to make sure you are ok on the starting rotation then we are very clearly stating we don't want to win.

Our front office should be busting the doors of the Giants down asking about Mad Bum. We should be in contact with Keuchel. We should be asking the Indians what it might take to make them give up one of their starters. Those are things good teams do in situations like this and I'm convinced AA is scared he is going to give up someone that ends up being really good, so he's scared to pull the trigger.

We currently have 14 legit SPs to split between Atlanta and Gwinnett. We don't need another SP. Develop them and keep the best, trade the rest. We'll wind up with a couple aces, just be patient.

MetEdDawg
03-01-2019, 04:45 PM
We currently have 14 legit SPs to split between Atlanta and Gwinnett. We don't need another SP. Develop them and keep the best, trade the rest. We'll wind up with a couple aces, just be patient.

We absolutely need another one. Yes we have some guys who could be very good. But facing the prospect of having no Folty or Gausman, even for a few weeks, that has to be concerning. We have some guys that can pitch, but when I have some injuries like this, I would much rather have one guy I know can pitch at the major league level instead of a bunch of guys I think can pitch at the major league level.

If we were completely healthy I would agree. But Teheran is going to be the opening day starter I would think with no Folty or Gausman. That has to at least give you pause that he's the next best option to run out there. We need another arm badly and we have a lot of pieces to make that happen. If Folty, Gausman, and Soroka miss a couple more weeks, what is your rotation? Teheran, Newcomb, Touki, Wright, and Wilson? That's not good man. There's a lot of potential, but we might as well concede the division if that's our April rotation.

MetEdDawg
03-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Max Fried exits his start with a blister. Sorry guys but we need to go get someone. Folty, Soroka, Gausman, Fried, and Minter all currently not available to pitch. That's a significant issue in my opinion

msstate7
03-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Max Fried exits his start with a blister. Sorry guys but we need to go get someone. Folty, Soroka, Gausman, Fried, and Minter all currently not available to pitch. That's a significant issue in my opinion

Think it was a cut on his pinky... couldn't stop bleeding

parabrave
03-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Well since ST has started let's get a new Thread going. BTW our Pitching staff isn't that good.

parabrave
03-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Tyler Flowers just isn't that smart.

msstate7
03-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Swanson playing
Wright looking good

MetEdDawg
03-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Swanson playing
Wright looking good

Wright looks good enough to start in the big leagues now. Has a K against Judge, Voit, and Tulo. Not bad. He looks really good so far and I like him possibly getting the 5 spot.

msu15
03-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Another bomb for Judge. If he can stay healthy this year he'll have a legitimate shot at 60 homers

parabrave
03-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Another bomb for Judge. If he can stay healthy this year he'll have a legitimate shot at 60 homers

either that or set the all-time int walk record. Sevorino has rotatercuff issues.

msstate7
03-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Bowman predicting Alex Jackson makes opening day roster.

MetEdDawg
03-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Bowman predicting Alex Jackson makes opening day roster.

Are we going to carry 3 catchers??? I guess with Camargo being a super utility he gives you more flexibility in terms of what you have to keep on your bench.

msstate7
03-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Are we going to carry 3 catchers??? I guess with Camargo being a super utility he gives you more flexibility in terms of what you have to keep on your bench.

That's what bowman predicting. He's putting up quite a spring so far... .375 avg, 1.257 ops

msstate7
03-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Donaldson and gausman debuted tonight.

Gohara, weigel, Ian Anderson, muller, wentz, Contreras, jenista, and waters to minors.

Pache hit a hr tonight

KOdawg1
03-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Msstate7 -

I really haven't kept up with the Braves offseason or spring training either for that matter. I normally start following once the season starts. I know we signed Donaldson and I like that move, but the injury bug has bit our pitchers a bit. I know you read ChopCountry and I try, but Enscheff is pretty unbearable. He's like C34 on steroids. Anyway, since you're more informed than I am, what's your prediction on the starting lineup, pitching rotation, and thoughts about FA/any changes from now until opening day?

msstate7
03-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Msstate7 -

I really haven't kept up with the Braves offseason or spring training either for that matter. I normally start following once the season starts. I know we signed Donaldson and I like that move, but the injury bug has bit our pitchers a bit. I know you read ChopCountry and I try, but Enscheff is pretty unbearable. He's like C34 on steroids. Anyway, since you're more informed than I am, what's your prediction on the starting lineup, pitching rotation, and thoughts about FA/any changes from now until opening day?

Vs rhp:
Ender
Donaldson
FF
Acuna
Markakis
Albies
Mac
Swanson

Vs lhp:
Albies
Donaldson
FF
Acuna
Duvall
Flowers
Ender
Swanson

Camargo getting lots of days at SS, 3b, and 2b

Folty (when healthy)
Gausman
Newcomb
Julio
Fried/Wright/touki

No idea if we get anyone.

Wright has been outstanding this ST. Really hope he's about to become a key cog in our rotation

shoeless joe
03-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Acuna is going to lead off...as he should.

Apparently the phils making these moves has scared AA off of actually going for it this yr. the only other explanation is if he’s gonna see where we’re at and what we get out of certain guys before making a trade. But TBH it blows my mind that we are sitting on all these valuable pieces until there value plummets

msstate7
03-11-2019, 06:25 PM

Apparently the phils making these moves has scared AA off of actually going for it this yr. the only other explanation is if he’s gonna see where we’re at and what we get out of certain guys before making a trade. But TBH it blows my mind that we are sitting on all these valuable pieces until there value plummets

Today was pretty much our lineup, and acuna was 4th. The last few games he's been 4th

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 10:08 AM

We definitely need to decide who is the future of the pitching staff. It seems like we are dead set on keeping Riley and Anderson. Pache has shown that he is probably the future in CF within the next 2 years. Does Pache taking over CF move Acuna to RF or does he stay in LF? Anderson or Kyle Wright seems like at least one will be up sometime this year. We still don't have a true ace unless Folty or Newcomb take another step forward and of course Folty is hurt.

Injuries might rule this year out unless we make some moves.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Y'all giving up too easy. We will be in the division or WC race.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Alex Jackson and allard to milb.

Acuna at clean up again today. Ender leading off vs rhp

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Alex Jackson and allard to milb.

Acuna at clean up again today. Ender leading off vs rhp

I hope Ender gets back to form. Last year, he was not good vs Lhp. We don't need to have to platoon our lead off hitter.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 11:10 AM
I hope Ender gets back to form. Last year, he was not good vs Lhp. We don't need to have to platoon our lead off hitter.

No problem with platooning lead off...
Ender career .342 obp vs rhp
Albies career .369 obp vs lhp

shoeless joe
03-12-2019, 01:21 PM
I would love for ender to step up and be the lead off guy. But I will be shocked if acuna isn’t the everyday lead off hitter before the all star break.

I do think it’s better for the team if he isn’t because that would mean albies or ended have stepped up their game

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2019, 01:26 PM
No problem with platooning lead off...
Ender career .342 obp vs rhp
Albies career .369 obp vs lhp

So do you completely bench Ender or just move him down in the lineup? I know they are talking about Carmargo playing some outfield and if Duvall also plays LF and move Acuna to CF. Any idea when they bring up someone like Riley? I know he has now played some first and they were talking about getting him outfield experience.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 01:28 PM
I would love for ender to step up and be the lead off guy. But I will be shocked if acuna isn’t the everyday lead off hitter before the all star break.

I do think it’s better for the team if he isn’t because that would mean albies or ended have stepped up their game
Obviously things can change, but acuna at cleanup the last 2 games: 4-4, 2 HR, 2b, bb. He's killing it there, but he's gonna kill it everywhere he hits.

msstate7
03-12-2019, 01:34 PM
So do you completely bench Ender or just move him down in the lineup? I know they are talking about Carmargo playing some outfield and if Duvall also plays LF and move Acuna to CF. Any idea when they bring up someone like Riley? I know he has now played some first and they were talking about getting him outfield experience.

Vs lhp, I move ender down or play acuna in cf. Probably look at ender, Duvall, and markakis' numbers vs the starter... go with best 2

msstate7
03-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Acuna just got an rbi single

msstate7
03-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Acuna last 9 PA... 8-8 2 hr, 2 2b, 3b, bb, sb

Today was vs Corbin, so a real pitcher. Acuna is the next trout

parabrave
03-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Well the Yankees are about to sign Gio Gonzales while the Braves are need to sign a paramedic for the pitching staff..

shoeless joe
03-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Well the Yankees are about to sign Gio Gonzales while the Braves are need to sign a paramedic for the pitching staff..

It certainly appears AA has ceased all momentum from last yr. but if 2-3 of the youngsters make a huge leap forward it may not matter

msstate7
03-19-2019, 10:56 AM

If it means Wright, fried, and wilson get their shot, so be it

smootness
03-19-2019, 11:21 AM
It certainly appears AA has ceased all momentum from last yr. but if 2-3 of the youngsters make a huge leap forward it may not matter

Because we won't sign crappy Gio Gonzalez?

shoeless joe
03-19-2019, 11:26 AM

No...because they didn’t do anything other than Donaldson to improve the team. And that’s only an improvement if he puts up his 2-3 yrs ago numbers. There were several opportunities to really address some needs and NONE were met.

MetEdDawg
03-19-2019, 11:51 AM

Dallas Keuchel would be fairly inexpensive and an option for us. But instead we are starting Teheran on opening day. When Teheran is your opening day starter, you have issues because that means he's the best you have on opening day and that anyone better is injured. That's a serious issue.

Add to that the shopping in any lane comments and the comments about signing Markakis on the cheap would allow us to go after additional free agents and you have an organization that looks like liars and frauds that don't have the best interest of the team on their mind.

msstate7
03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Dallas Keuchel would be fairly inexpensive and an option for us. But instead we are starting Teheran on opening day. When Teheran is your opening day starter, you have issues because that means he's the best you have on opening day and that anyone better is injured. That's a serious issue.

Add to that the shopping in any lane comments and the comments about signing Markakis on the cheap would allow us to go after additional free agents and you have an organization that looks like liars and frauds that don't have the best interest of the team on their mind.

If DK were fairly inexpensive, I figured he'd be signed by now.

Supposedly Julio added 15 lbs of muscle this offseason and is sitting 94-95 with fastball. He's struck out 16 in 12 ip this spring, so hopefully it's true

MetEdDawg
03-19-2019, 12:03 PM
If DK were fairly inexpensive, I figured he'd be signed by now.

Supposedly Julio added 15 lbs of muscle this offseason and is sitting 94-95 with fastball. He's struck out 16 in 12 ip this spring, so hopefully it's true

I think we could get Keuchel for 10-12 million. I just don't think we want to spend that because they are going to try and save up money to possibly get someone at the deadline for cheap. Problem is if we aren't contenders at the deadline we aren't going to throw around any cash.

I think AA is going to role with the young guys and pray they work and not pull the trigger on anyone else. We should have made one more move. Kimbrel, Keuchel, or any other that we could have done that would have helped us. But here we are with almost the exact same team as last year except Donaldson at 3B and a lot of injuries.

smootness
03-19-2019, 12:04 PM
No...because they didn’t do anything other than Donaldson to improve the team. And that’s only an improvement if he puts up his 2-3 yrs ago numbers. There were several opportunities to really address some needs and NONE were met.

So if Donaldson puts up the .944 OPS he had in 2017, he won't improve us? Or if he puts up the .920 OPS he had after the trade to the Indians last year?

smootness
03-19-2019, 12:05 PM
I think we could get Keuchel for 10-12 million. I just don't think we want to spend that because they are going to try and save up money to possibly get someone at the deadline for cheap. Problem is if we aren't contenders at the deadline we aren't going to throw around any cash.

I think AA is going to role with the young guys and pray they work and not pull the trigger on anyone else. We should have made one more move. Kimbrel, Keuchel, or any other that we could have done that would have helped us. But here we are with almost the exact same team as last year except Donaldson at 3B and a lot of injuries.

Keuchel hasn't signed yet for a reason. He wants 5 years. We absolutely should not give him 5 years.

MetEdDawg
03-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Keuchel hasn't signed yet for a reason. He wants 5 years. We absolutely should not give him 5 years.

We are two weeks from the season starting. Give him 4 years $50 million and he would take it. And we would be happy he did. He will pitch well in the NL and I think having him on the team would be very helpful.

Problem now is that it's gotten so late in the game that he would have to work his way back and it would take into the season in order to do it. Teams don't like that.

shoeless joe
03-19-2019, 12:13 PM
So if Donaldson puts up the .944 OPS he had in 2017, he won't improve us? Or if he puts up the .920 OPS he had after the trade to the Indians last year?

2017 would be 2 yrs ago...which I stated in my post.

I may be wrong but didn’t he miss significant time in ‘17?

msstate7
03-19-2019, 12:20 PM
2017 would be 2 yrs ago...which I stated in my post.

I may be wrong but didn’t he miss significant time in ‘17?

113 games, 5.1 fWAR

smootness
03-19-2019, 12:24 PM
We are two weeks from the season starting. Give him 4 years $50 million and he would take it. And we would be happy he did. He will pitch well in the NL and I think having him on the team would be very helpful.

Problem now is that it's gotten so late in the game that he would have to work his way back and it would take into the season in order to do it. Teams don't like that.

We shouldn't give him 4 years, either.

Really Clark?
03-19-2019, 12:36 PM

He will sit through the start of the season if he doesn?t get $18-22 MIL per season for 3-4 years. Morton got a 2 year $30 MIL and Happ got 2 year $34 MIL. His value is worth more than them. If you go 4 years it will cost you around $80-90 MIL pribabaly.

MetEdDawg
03-19-2019, 12:40 PM
He will sit through the start of the season if he doesn?t get $18-22 MIL per season for 3-4 years. Morton got a 2 year $30 MIL and Happ got 2 year $34 MIL. His value is worth more than them. If you go 4 years it will cost you around $80-90 MIL pribabaly.

Then he's going to sit because he's not worth that. And sitting out a year will crush his value. I think you offer him 4 years and see if you have to go up to $60 million. That's $15 million a year which is basically what we are paying Teheran. I would still be ok paying him that.

And he would be dumb not to be on an opening day roster. Same for Kimbrel. And at this point to our team Keuchel is more valuable than Kimbrel.

Really Clark?
03-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Then he's going to sit because he's not worth that. And sitting out a year will crush his value. I think you offer him 4 years and see if you have to go up to $60 million. That's $15 million a year which is basically what we are paying Teheran. I would still be ok paying him that.

And he would be dumb not to be on an opening day roster. Same for Kimbrel. And at this point to our team Keuchel is more valuable than Kimbrel.

They will wait to get an offer like Santana a few years ago, some will have to match his $17.9 MIL qualifying offer for a 1 year deal. Boras and most pundits had him around $20 MIL annual salary for multiple years. Ervin Santana had to wait it out a few years ago, the Braves got desperate and signed him to a matching qualifying offer for one year of $14.1 MIL. That’s the best case scenario for the Braves but I think DK already has 3-4 years on the table from clubs. They are hoping (and many believed at the start of the winter) he was going to get 5 years and $100 MIL. Clubs are probably wanting him for 3 years and $50-60 MIL or 4 years and $70-80 MIL

smootness
03-19-2019, 01:00 PM
I think you offer him 4 years and see if you have to go up to $60 million. That's $15 million a year which is basically what we are paying Teheran. I would still be ok paying him that.

Teheran will make $11.1 million this year, but the main difference is that after that, we can pay his $1 million buyout and be done. $60 million is a heck of a lot more than $12.1 million.

MetEdDawg
03-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Teheran will make $11.1 million this year, but the main difference is that after that, we can pay his $1 million buyout and be done. $60 million is a heck of a lot more than $12.1 million.

Talking yearly salary

smootness
03-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Talking yearly salary

I know, but the point stands. The difference is that you don't owe Teheran anything after this year. 4 years is a lot to guarantee for a guy who is probably already on the decline.

MetEdDawg
03-19-2019, 01:43 PM
I know, but the point stands. The difference is that you don't owe Teheran anything after this year. 4 years is a lot to guarantee for a guy who is probably already on the decline.

His next 4 years in the NL will most likely better than Teheran's. And I'm ok paying Keuchel $15 million a year. Our pitching the next couple of years will be an unknown. Don't trust Newcomb. No Teheran. We've got young guys and we can hopefully resign Folty long term. Gausman probably doesn't get resigned. So unless the plan is to get Mad Bum or someone else that's top flight, we have no one starting right now that will be here in 2 years except Folty.

We need more of a guarantee than that and I'm willing to invest in Keuchel for that reason. But either way, it probably doesn't matter. AA isn't going to make big moves. He's going to let our talent waste away in the minors to the point their value goes down and they aren't worth hardly anything.

We've got 9 people who can start right now in the majors. Three of them (Folty, Gausman, and Soroka) are injured. Teheran stinks. Newcomb is an unknown. So your 4 healthy options for starters are Wilson, Wright, Fried, and Touki. They are good, but we aren't getting anything from any of them right now. I think AA is confused on what to do and is afraid to pull the trigger in the fear that one of these guys is the next big thing.

smootness
03-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Why is the assumption that our minor league players' value will all drop? I don't get that.

I don't think he's afraid on missing out on the next big thing, I think he just realizes that older pitching is an incredibly risky asset (especially when they're simply pretty good anyway, as Keuchel is), and he doesn't want to tie up a lot of future money there when we have invested so heavily in young pitching talent.

I like his plan.

msstate7
03-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Why is the assumption that our minor league players' value will all drop? I don't get that.

I don't think he's afraid on missing out on the next big thing, I think he just realizes that older pitching is an incredibly risky asset (especially when they're simply pretty good anyway, as Keuchel is), and he doesn't want to tie up a lot of future money there when we have invested so heavily in young pitching talent.

I like his plan.

I expected a few more moves, and was really anxious there weren't more. The more time has passed, I'm ok with it. If we do indeed have "financial flexibility", we can see what we need to add later

msstate7
03-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Teheran, Wright, Wilson, newcomb, and fried = starting rotation entering season. Bout to find out what these young guys have

My opening day lineup guess...
Ender
Donaldson
FF
Acuna
Markakis
Albies
McCann
Swanson
Julio

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Teheran, Wright, Wilson, newcomb, and fried = starting rotation entering season. Bout to find out what these young guys have

My opening day lineup guess...
Ender
Donaldson
FF
Acuna
Markakis
Albies
McCann
Swanson
Julio

McCann just to give him a bone or do you see McCann getting as many games as Flowers? I like having McCann around these young pitchers but Flowers is the better hitter.

msstate7
03-25-2019, 08:25 AM
McCann just to give him a bone or do you see McCann getting as many games as Flowers? I like having McCann around these young pitchers but Flowers is the better hitter.

It could be flowers. We've been using McCann vs rhp the last week though, so I kinda expect him to start. Obviously doesn't mean a whole lot, but McCann has hit well this spring (.333 avg. .863 ops)

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2019, 08:51 AM
It could be flowers. We've been using McCann vs rhp the last week though, so I kinda expect him to start. Obviously doesn't mean a whole lot, but McCann has hit well this spring (.333 avg. .863 ops)

I was just going on what they have done the past few years. It seems like McCann might be on his last leg and Flowers has been a .280-.300 hitter. Just curious but how close is Contreras to being called up? I was thinking maybe late next year or is there another option at catcher.

msstate7
03-25-2019, 08:57 AM
I was just going on what they have done the past few years. It seems like McCann might be on his last leg and Flowers has been a .280-.300 hitter. Just curious but how close is Contreras to being called up? I was thinking maybe late next year or is there another option at catcher.

I think next season at the earliest

parabrave
03-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Flowers 280-300 hitter??? You mean 180-200 don't you, actually a 239 hitter with a OBS of a whopping 320. Tyler isn't the answer by a long shot. Alex Jackson had a better spring than Flowers did and deserved a roster spot.

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Flowers 280-300 hitter??? You mean 180-200 don't you, actually a 239 hitter with a OBS of a whopping 320. Tyler isn't the answer by a long shot. Alex Jackson had a better spring than Flowers did and deserved a roster spot.

He was .270-.281 in 2016 and 2017. I really didn't pay attention to how bad he was last year. McCann might be about the same and at least he has more pop in his bat.

BoomBoom
03-25-2019, 12:30 PM

You arent factoring in that the stats say DK is overrated. He just ain't worth what he wants.

I think the only mistake you can pin on AA is LF. They boned that one. In hindsight, they should have ponied up a few more mil for JBJr. I guess they passed on him because they thought they would get something better, but they whiffed big time.

parabrave
03-25-2019, 12:48 PM
OK Braves Fans since the reg season is about to begin is it time to begin a NEW Official Braves thread?

parabrave
03-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Well thats a good way to end SP. Floriman will always be able to say he hit a Grand Slam in the Bigs. Now on to face reak pitching,