PDA

View Full Version : Catch 22 with QBs and Receivers

NWADAWG
10-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Many complain about us not recruiting high level receivers. We had less than 70 yards of passing this weekend. I understand that running is our strength and/because we don't have an elite passing QB or elite receivers. How do we convince elite receivers and passing QBs that they will change our balance when we throw for that few yards?

I'm not complaining about how much we ran. But the answer to this question is the difference between a good team hoping for a New Years bowl and winning championships?

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2018, 09:03 PM
I don't think we have needed elite receivers during the Mullen era. Average to above receivers could do very well in our system. Look at what Bumphis, Ross, Brown, Gray, and Bear were able to do. But, the last 4 years or so Mullen seemed to miss on a lot of our targets, or land non-qualifiers, or get guys too small. And that has hurt our offense. Just look at the difference in Fitz' yardage with Ross and Gray vs. last year or this season.

I have no idea how to solve the recruiting of elite QBs. Dan missed on a lot of QBs - but in hindsight I don't know that any of them were elite passers. We know Dak showed potential, but he worked himself into being an above average QB. Maybe Joe can crack that nut that has evaded every MSU head coach.

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Everything changes when Shrader gets into the program. Key will be better at passing then Fitz. May already be once he gets more than 8 consecutive quarters live action. Maybe, needs to hit his craft hard starting now if he wants a shot. All three will be battling it out week to week.

Jack Lambert
10-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Passing was not a imperative to Mullen. He needed a QB who could run and occasionally throw a short pass. I think we are fixing to see a whole different kind of recruited WR. I am really beginning to question was Mullen really the QB whisperer. He did not develop qb's to be passers. Fitz has a really strong arm and he was not developed to throw better the four years under Mullen.

Mobile Bay
10-08-2018, 10:24 PM
We just need a QB who can throw with less velocity than a cannon and we will see improvement.

chef dixon
10-08-2018, 10:49 PM
We just need a QB who can throw with less velocity than a cannon and we will see improvement.

Yep. Yea they should still catch it but Fitz rifles 5 yard crossing patterns. It?s prob not coincidence our wideouts have been dropping more the last 3 years. Hell, I think Reggie Todd is catching 3 TDs a game in JUCO.

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 10:57 PM
I think losing Reggie Todd and Malik Heath may have hurt us somewhat this year more than we anticipated.

The thing about WR's is most of them are prima donna's and Dan did not like that type of player and then Gonzalez wasn't a good recruiter on top of it.

We may struggle this year, but I think the next two years we are looking good with recruits like Jai Mason and Antonio Harmon. I think WR is one position where our boosters are going to have to open up the wallets because they are a position group that is more likely to take money and Ole Miss prioritizes them because of their offense.

If it were me I would keep trying to flip Mingo and Dannis Jackson and also at the same time I would try to bring in Payton from NWCC and Drummond from EMCC to try to boost the position for next year and I wouldn't be against bringing Reggie Todd back next year either.

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Yep. Yea they should still catch it but Fitz rifles 5 yard crossing patterns. It?s prob not coincidence our wideouts have been dropping more the last 3 years. Hell, I think Reggie Todd is catching 3 TDs a game in JUCO.

This is true. Key could be an improvement in that area.

bluelightstar
10-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Everything changes when Shrader gets into the program. Key will be better at passing then Fitz. May already be once he gets more than 8 consecutive quarters live action. Maybe, needs to hit his craft hard starting now if he wants a shot. All three will be battling it out week to week.

I keep seeing this, but I have a hard time believing that a true freshman is going to come in and beat out a true junior -- who is one of our highest rated QB prospects ever.

chef dixon
10-08-2018, 11:18 PM
I keep seeing this, but I have a hard time believing that a true freshman is going to come in and beat out a true junior -- who is one of our highest rated QB prospects ever.

He most likely won?t.

It?s funny how a lot of our fans are giving up on Key but sure gave Fitz a lot of time. Key will he our starter next year.

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 11:29 PM

Technically Shraeder is also one of our highest rated prospects as well. I think Key starts next year as well though. I don't like the idea of a true freshman QB in the SEC unless they are named Peyton Manning. The thing is Key will have essentially an a year head start on Shraeder plus he has two years of experience and has started and won big games for us.

BhamDawg205
10-08-2018, 11:49 PM
He most likely won?t.

It?s funny how a lot of our fans are giving up on Key but sure gave Fitz a lot of time. Key will he our starter next year.

$$$ Thank You Blue and Chef

yjnkdawg
10-09-2018, 12:02 AM

We should have a red shirt Freshman quarterback (Mayden) in the mix too.

yjnkdawg
10-09-2018, 12:09 AM
Many complain about us not recruiting high level receivers. We had less than 70 yards of passing this weekend. I understand that running is our strength and/because we don't have an elite passing QB or elite receivers. How do we convince elite receivers and passing QBs that they will change our balance when we throw for that few yards?

I'm not complaining about how much we ran. But the answer to this question is the difference between a good team hoping for a New Years bowl and winning championships?

I think we are going to have to be able to show any elite receivers how they will fit into the offense, and how we will get them the ball if they sign with us. Right now, I don't see how we can show them how we can get them the ball with our limited passing attack so far. Also they want to be developed where they can be the best they can be at the next level. I think Getsy can be a positive there.

yjnkdawg
10-09-2018, 12:17 AM
He most likely won?t.

I think the main battle for starting quarterback will between KT and Mayden, but Shrader could possibly be in that mix too.

Maroonbulldog
10-09-2018, 04:57 PM

I kid. I kid. Kinda.

WinningIsRelentless
10-10-2018, 08:14 AM
I think losing Reggie Todd and Malik Heath may have hurt us somewhat this year more than we anticipated.

The thing about WR's is most of them are prima donna's and Dan did not like that type of player and then Gonzalez wasn't a good recruiter on top of it.

We may struggle this year, but I think the next two years we are looking good with recruits like Jai Mason and Antonio Harmon. I think WR is one position where our boosters are going to have to open up the wallets because they are a position group that is more likely to take money and Ole Miss prioritizes them because of their offense.

If it were me I would keep trying to flip Mingo and Dannis Jackson and also at the same time I would try to bring in Payton from NWCC and Drummond from EMCC to try to boost the position for next year and I wouldn't be against bringing Reggie Todd back next year either.

Heath wouldn?t have helped one bit for the next two years. The kid couldn?t tell you the difference between man coverage vs zone coverage or a post route vs a drag.

tcdog70
10-10-2018, 09:11 AM

Drummond is a no brainer--if you like Guidry then you should love Drummond