PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why our offense has struggled two out of the last three

Todd4State
10-07-2018, 06:53 PM
We have played the 3rd (Kentucky), 4th (Auburn), and 5th (Florida) rated defense in the SEC in scoring defense. Right now we are at number one. Those three defenses are also currently ranked 3rd (Kentucky), 4th (Florida), and 5th (Auburn) in total defense as well. We're second in total defense behind Georgia.

Based on the stats, I think our offense could take off in November while it may continue to show improvement in October. Here's what we have left first number is rank in scoring defense and second number is total defense.

LSU (7, 9)

Texas A&M (8, 6)

La Tech is nationally ranked 77th in scoring defense interestingly enough tied with K-State and is 52nd in total defense.

Alabama (6, 7)

Arkansas ( 13, 14)

Ole Miss (14, 13)

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2018, 07:05 PM
I was saying the same thing last week and got blasted for it - mainly by ms7.

SEC defenses this year are ridiculous. And UK and UF are legit.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 07:08 PM
I was saying the same thing last week and got blasted for it - mainly by ms7.

SEC defenses this year are ridiculous. And UK and UF are legit.

We got shut down by 2 of the last 3 teams for one reason, run pass ratio. Did you guys learn nothing last night?

Commercecomet24
10-07-2018, 07:10 PM
If you watch any other cfb you can easily see that outside of a couple of teams the sec is absolutely nasty defensively besides unm and arky. Defense is soft all over save a couple of other teams.

basedog
10-07-2018, 07:11 PM
We got shut down by 2 of the last 3 teams for one reason, run pass ratio. Did you guys learn nothing last night?

Yes, Joe is willing to make changes and adjustments.

Todd4State
10-07-2018, 07:11 PM

That was part of the reason. But it wasn't the only reason. We would probably be likely to improve without making much change to playcalling. And that's NOT saying that we should because it wouldn't be maximizing our players- but rather that by doing what our players do well in combination with playing defenses that aren't as nasty- we have a lot to look forward to.

Todd4State
10-07-2018, 07:13 PM
If you watch any other cfb you can easily see that outside of a couple of teams the sec is absolutely nasty defensively besides unm and arky. Defense is soft all over save a couple of other teams.

Exactly. That's why we can put up 65 and 56 on someone with ease but then get shut down the next week against a SEC team. The SEC is just a different animal.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Yes, Joe is willing to make changes and adjustments.

I feel 100% better about our future now. Loved him recoginizing his way wasn't working, yet

Commercecomet24
10-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Exactly. That's why we can put up 65 and 56 on someone with ease but then get shut down the next week against a SEC team. The SEC is just a different animal.

It really is amazing to watch other conferences and see how porous and soft the defenses are.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 07:17 PM
That was part of the reason. But it wasn't the only reason. We would probably be likely to improve without making much change to playcalling. And that's NOT saying that we should because it wouldn't be maximizing our players- but rather that by doing what our players do well in combination with playing defenses that aren't as nasty- we have a lot to look forward to.

Sure we faced good defenses, and I'm not trying to slight them. I just feel we faced good defenses while playing to our own weaknesses. Last night, we knew stopping the run was Auburn's forte, and said well we're a good running team, so here we come. We played to our strengths last night and steam rolled a better defense than Kentucky and Florida

basedog
10-07-2018, 07:18 PM
I feel 100% better about our future now. Loved him recoginizing his way wasn't working, yet

You should have heard him explaining what they did as a staff preparing for Auburn and how they attacked their defense. Dude is smart, let's just hope he can recruit.

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2018, 07:20 PM

And I said every time that our offense and our coaching had issues. But UK and UF showed again this weekend that they are legit. Just like Auburn has a legit defense.

Homedawg
10-07-2018, 09:14 PM
You should have heard him explaining what they did as a staff preparing for Auburn and how they attacked their defense. Dude is smart, let's just hope he can recruit.

While that sounds good he wasn't smart the 2 weeks before. I'm happy for him, the players and the fans for this one, but one good deed doesn't overcome two ass ups. It just doesn't.
ETA -I've seen firsthand how much harder this staff recruits than the last- but the results will have to be better, much better for it to matter.

99jc
10-07-2018, 09:47 PM
The reason our offense looked like shit the 2 games we lost was Moorhead trying to force us to be a passing team. Nothing more nothing less he 17'd up and if his players hadn't revolted we would have done the same against Auburn. He is not a good head coach yet. We will find out against LSU. He has never seen a place like Death Valley at night. I'm not on his bandwagon yet. He will have to do more than beat a shitty Auburn team.

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2018, 12:10 AM
The reason our offense looked like shit the 2 games we lost was Moorhead trying to force us to be a passing team. Nothing more nothing less he 17'd up and if his players hadn't revolted we would have done the same against Auburn. He is not a good head coach yet. We will find out against LSU. He has never seen a place like Death Valley at night. I'm not on his bandwagon yet. He will have to do more than beat a shitty Auburn team.

Simple as that. Im not going to say Auburn is shitty and LSU is great bc Auburn arguably should have beaten LSU. Lost by 1 point. Thats not fair but I do agree it took him longer than expected to learn what his players couldnt and couldnt do and it hurt us. If we run the ball more vs UK and UF we have a great shot at 5-0. Both those teams are better than expected but we werent committed to who we are against them so we will never know. Nothing we can do about it now. Great W saturday vs a good auburn defense. Make the rest of the teams on the schedule beat us by being better at what we do than us and nobody can complain.

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2018, 12:12 AM
And I dont believe the players revolted. I believe he finally accepted who we are and committed to it and out toughed Auburn. He did what his players could do not what he wanted to do.

Encouraging sign. We should all be behind him at this point. Hopefully he has learned and doesnt go back to the MoorRaid

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Sure we faced good defenses, and I'm not trying to slight them. I just feel we faced good defenses while playing to our own weaknesses. Last night, we knew stopping the run was Auburn's forte, and said well we're a good running team, so here we come. We played to our strengths last night and steam rolled a better defense than Kentucky and Florida

Let's assume that based on the data that we have available that Joe running the offense the way he wants to yields about 6-7 points with these players and 23 playing to the player's strengths going up against a top 5 SEC defense. On the road against Kentucky I'm guessing we score about 7 less because it's on the road.

I'm not so sure that we beat Kentucky. We may have, but I don't think we can assume it. It may have come down to OT if I had to guess. I do think we would have beaten Florida.

Also- some people have been harping on last year. Last year three of the four teams we lost to were in the top 3 in scoring defense and three of the four teams were in the top 5 in total defense. The team I'm excluding is Ole Miss for obvious reasons. Our point totals against those teams last year doing what we do well- 3, 10, and 24.

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 12:40 AM
And I said every time that our offense and our coaching had issues. But UK and UF showed again this weekend that they are legit. Just like Auburn has a legit defense.

And people will keep insisting that UK sucks. Historically yes, they do. This year they are probably having a special season for them. They have a very good chance to go 10-2 with wins over Florida and their rivals Tennessee and Louisville. They're a road OT loss on the road against A&M from being 6-0 right now.

MarketingBully
10-08-2018, 04:07 AM
We would have probably had two more TDs had Fitz given the ball to Hill on any of the third or fourth down plays. Odds are very good we’d at least of won one more had we used the pre-snap motion against UK and Florida as it would have slowed the pass rush from the ends like it did against Auburn. We could have easily scored in the 20-30 range on both of those defenses had we run like we did on both of those teams like we did Auburn. The other biggest difference is we went back to the blocking scheme our OL was comfortable with. We could become a very dangerous spoiler team down the stretch and if we can get any improvement from Nick during this bye week passing the ball there will be wide open opportunities to hit passing plays which is what we should do with this personnel run to setup the pass. I think we finish 9-3. Only team left on our schedule impossible to beat is Bama.

MarketingBully
10-08-2018, 04:10 AM
And people will keep insisting that UK sucks. Historically yes, they do. This year they are probably having a special season for them. They have a very good chance to go 10-2 with wins over Florida and their rivals Tennessee and Louisville. They're a road OT loss on the road against A&M from being 6-0 right now.

Their good but had our offense not been so inept they probably only score 14 or so on us. Had we had pre-snap motion to slow down Allen and committed 100% to the run we win that game by 10+ points.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2018, 04:30 AM
Us struggling on offense was 100% us. Some of the worst play calling I’ve ever seen in those two games.

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 07:01 AM
Their good but had our offense not been so inept they probably only score 14 or so on us. Had we had pre-snap motion to slow down Allen and committed 100% to the run we win that game by 10+ points.

I think without the bad playcalling they only get 14. But I'm guessing we probably get 14 ourselves in regulation. We probably either get one more score like you said or win in OT but it's an unknown unfortunately.