PDA

View Full Version : Our chances of winning the West are low, but not as low as you might think

Quaoarsking
10-07-2018, 06:05 PM
If we win out, and Alabama loses 1 other game, we have it no matter what else happens.

At 6-2, we would be 6-0 against the West, meaning we would have any possible 2- or 3-way tiebreaker over any combination of teams.

Winning out means LSU and Texas A&M have at least 2 losses, and Alabama would have at least 1 loss. Therefore, winning out gives us the West as long as Alabama loses to somebody else (most likely @LSU, but they also play Missouri, @Tennessee, and Auburn).

We don't control our own destiny because we would still be behind a 7-1 Alabama, but we're closer to controlling our own destiny than a 1-2 team typically is.

Dawg61
10-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Only way Bama loses a game is if both Tua & Hurts miss the bus and even then it's still very doubtful as they probably have another hidden stud QB somewhere on the roster.

Gutter Cobreh
10-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Only way Bama loses a game is if both Tua & Hurts miss the bus and even then it's still very doubtful as they probably have another hidden stud QB somewhere on the roster.

They'd just run the wildcat and still win by 5 touchdowns. Basically, go back to their offense of run first (think pre Tua). They won how many titles with that offense? Tusk would say 2,342,214 championships.

Liverpooldawg
10-07-2018, 06:18 PM
If we win out, and Alabama loses 1 other game, we have it no matter what else happens.

At 6-2, we would be 6-0 against the West, meaning we would have any possible 2- or 3-way tiebreaker over any combination of teams.

Winning out means LSU and Texas A&M have at least 2 losses, and Alabama would have at least 1 loss. Therefore, winning out gives us the West as long as Alabama loses to somebody else (most likely @LSU, but they also play Missouri, @Tennessee, and Auburn).

We don't control our own destiny because we would still be behind a 7-1 Alabama, but we're closer to controlling our own destiny than a 1-2 team typically is.

Bama will win the West.

Todd4State
10-07-2018, 06:18 PM
That sounds so 1998. Especially with us losing to Kentucky this year. I'm not sure Alabama loses one much less two.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 06:20 PM
That sounds so 1998. Especially with us losing to Kentucky this year. I'm not sure Alabama loses one much less two.

Ohio st will be their only loss this season.

KOdawg1
10-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Not a chance. No one will touch Bama this year. Only team that could come close would be Georgia and Bama will win that game by 3 TDs

Jack Lambert
10-07-2018, 07:01 PM
You can count on Bama having one bad game a season. I don't see two. I think we should shoot for NY6 bowl.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Not a chance. No one will touch Bama this year. Only team that could come close would be Georgia and Bama will win that game by 3 TDs

We shall see. This is not a normal bama defense, and Ohio state is just as good offensively.

TUSK
10-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Bammer still has some issues on Defense, but the numbers aren't indicative of how good they are... regardless, they are good enough to hold most opposition to 21-28 points... and the offense is good for 35 on a horrible night.

Still suck at K, though...

Dawg61
10-07-2018, 08:06 PM
We shall see. This is not a normal bama defense, and Ohio state is just as good offensively.

OSU isn't as good on offense when Tua keeps getting 200 QBR's. Tua has to be the heisman winner right now by a landslide. He's played perfect football. Look at his video game numbers.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Bammer still has some issues on Defense, but the numbers aren't indicative of how good they are... regardless, they are good enough to hold most opposition to 21-28 points... and the offense is good for 35 on a horrible night.

You never know if Tua will twist an ankle.

TUSK
10-07-2018, 08:12 PM
OSU isn't as good on offense when Tua keeps getting 200 QBR's. Tua has to be the heisman winner right now by a landslide. He's played perfect football. Look at his video game numbers.

What's weird about his numbers is his second half numbers.... He's only thrown 20 passes in the 3rd Qtr of games.... 0 plays in the 4th..

I can't recall a better performance (for half a season), ever.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Penn State should've beat osu, tcu put up points on osu and ain't neither one of them close to as good as bama. This ain't gonna be urbans year.

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2018, 08:18 PM
You never know if Tua will twist an ankle.
Well, he made it thru the Ole Miss game, so threats to his ankles will be limited the rest of the year.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Penn State should've beat osu, tcu put up points on osu and ain't neither one of them close to as good as bama. This ain't gonna be urbans year.

Ark put up 31 on bama. Is ark close to Ohio st?

TUSK
10-07-2018, 08:22 PM

If Ohio State meets up with my guys, and plays like they did vs Indiana yesterday, MDL will make his ass quit a 3rd time. It'll be a bloodbath.

Dawg61
10-07-2018, 08:22 PM
What's weird about his numbers is his second half numbers.... He's only thrown 20 passes in the 3rd Qtr of games.... 0 plays in the 4th..

I can't recall a better performance (for half a season), ever.

It's a blowout by halftime thus no passing stats in 2nd half. Only thing I'd be worried about with Tua is he hasn't been through adversity or a tough game at all. Almost no team goes 15 straight games without a real test.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 08:24 PM
If Ohio State meets up with my guys, and plays like they did vs Indiana yesterday, MDL will make his ass quit a 3rd time. It'll be a bloodbath.

And if you play them like you played ark, urban will tear them a new one. They will play, and both will play well. Best 2 teams

Dawg61
10-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Just say Saban. Nobody wants to read your MDL nickname 7 billion times on this Mississippi State board.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Ark put up 31 on bama. Is ark close to Ohio st?

And lost by 34 what's your point? About as good as your Oklahoma prediction last year lol

TUSK
10-07-2018, 08:29 PM
And if you play them like you played ark, urban will tear them a new one. They will play, and both will play well. Best 2 teams

I don't think so. But agree with ya, they are the two best teams...

TUSK
10-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Just say Saban. Nobody wants to read your MDL nickname 7 billion times on this Mississippi State board.

No.

Homedawg
10-07-2018, 09:05 PM

I don't know. Bama is great on offense but they aren't nearly as good or deep on defense. They can be beaten. By whom. I don't know. But they are beatable w that d.

MetEdDawg
10-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Bama's defense isn't as good because of how quickly Alabama is scoring offensively. Alabama is putting up video game numbers on offense. Their defense, and most defenses are similar, in that they aren't conditioned to go back on the field after multiple drives of 5 or fewer plays.

Bama has the good version of the problem. Most teams have a tired defense because their offense keeps going 3 and out. Bama is scoring in 4 plays or less frequently.

Point is, Bama's defense is a function of the high powered nature of their offense. Bama is not going to come close to losing to any team in this country. I don't think they win a game by less than 14 points.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Bama's defense isn't as good because of how quickly Alabama is scoring offensively. Alabama is putting up video game numbers on offense. Their defense, and most defenses are similar, in that they aren't conditioned to go back on the field after multiple drives of 5 or fewer plays.

Bama has the good version of the problem. Most teams have a tired defense because their offense keeps going 3 and out. Bama is scoring in 4 plays or less frequently.

Point is, Bama's defense is a function of the high powered nature of their offense. Bama is not going to come close to losing to any team in this country. I don't think they win a game by less than 14 points.

I get every bama opponent +14? Name your stakes

TUSK
10-07-2018, 10:16 PM
I get every bama opponent +14? Name your stakes

Even Bammer is susceptible for a "down" game...

I'd go 7 points per game, for the remainder of Bammer's season at $100 per game.

AND/OR

I'll give you 5 points per game on a parlay, for the remainder of Bammer's season for $100 at 5/1.

The winner splits their net earnings with ED Board.

msstate7
10-07-2018, 10:22 PM

I'd go 7 points per game, for the remainder of Bammer's season at $100 per game.

AND/OR

I'll give you 5 points per game on a parlay, for the remainder of Bammer's season for $100 at 5/1.

I bet you would. I have no doubt bama will cover 7 more than they don't. He said they'd win by 14 from here out. It only takes 1 game to lose that claim

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Bama will win the West.
BOLD

TUSK
10-07-2018, 10:45 PM
I bet you would. I have no doubt bama will cover 7 more than they don't. He said they'd win by 14 from here out. It only takes 1 game to lose that claim

I kinda thought the Parlay bet was the more attractive offer...

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2018, 12:19 AM

Ohio St isnt sniffing Alabama right now

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2018, 12:20 AM
I don't think so. But agree with ya, they are the two best teams...

UGA is pretty damn good

Ari Gold
10-08-2018, 07:14 AM
The odds we run the table are about the same as Bama losing 2 conference games which is 1%.
9-3 and hopefully backdoor into a NYE6 bowl game the same way OM did twice. Take this all day long

Matty Dispatch
10-08-2018, 07:21 AM
The chances Mississippi State will beat Alabama is about 5%.

The chances Alabama loses 2 SEC games is about 0.0000001%.

No chance to win the West. Alabama has only lost more than 1 SEC game one time in the last 10 years (2010). This year's team is probably the best so there's no chance they lose twice.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2018, 07:22 AM
UGA is pretty damn good

Yeah, but the aren't the juggernaut they were last season. Their running game took a big, big step back. They don't have a legit threat to get 1000 yard rushing right now.
Now, they may still be light years ahead of anyone else in the East - but they won't beat Bama this year. And I don't think they could hang with OSU either.

Matty Dispatch
10-08-2018, 07:28 AM
Yeah, but the aren't the juggernaut they were last season. Their running game took a big, big step back. They don't have a legit threat to get 1000 yard rushing right now.
Now, they may still be light years ahead of anyone else in the East - but they won't beat Bama this year. And I don't think they could hang with OSU either.

Elijah Holyfield has 432 yards and averaging 7.4 YPC splitting time down the middle with Swift. At the same production the 2nd half of the year that's 862 yards. Pretty close, and he may get the lion's share going forward to easily get to 1,000. UGA has plenty of tailbacks. Maybe not as good as last year when they had two incredible backs + the freshman but they are still as good or better than everyone else.

defiantdog
10-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Y'all are funny..... Bama wins the west with ease. Their only competition is havin a hiccup in the iron bowl, other than that, they will stroll into the SEC championship game as a 10 point favorite over UGA. Also, if we want to go 9-3..... we're gonna have to learn not to be one dimensional. One game at a time guys.

Oh, we aren't beating BAMA in Tuscaloosa. Ain't no way in hell thats happening.

Todd4State
10-08-2018, 09:05 AM
The odds we run the table are about the same as Bama losing 2 conference games which is 1%.
9-3 and hopefully backdoor into a NYE6 bowl game the same way OM did twice. Take this all day long

This is my hope as well.

Bully13
10-08-2018, 09:21 AM
There's also a chance I could drive tonight from Fort Worth to an Indian Reservation in OK and roll 7 twenty five straight times on the crap table.

Nice scenario observations though.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Elijah Holyfield has 432 yards and averaging 7.4 YPC splitting time down the middle with Swift. At the same production the 2nd half of the year that's 862 yards. Pretty close, and he may get the lion's share going forward to easily get to 1,000. UGA has plenty of tailbacks. Maybe not as good as last year when they had two incredible backs + the freshman but they are still as good or better than everyone else.

That production is no where near close - Chubb and Michel made them a juggernaut last year. Chubb had 1345 yards, Michel had 1,227, and Swift had 618. Now, they might have a guy lead the team with less than 900 yards? Fromm has picked up his production a bit - but their schedule has been pretty weak so far. The next 4 games will be an interesting stretch for them. They haven't played a top-half SEC defense yet. LSU, UF, Kentucky and Auburn will be a tough run for them. They may win them all, but I doubt you see their RB production go up. And that's why I don't think they are at Bama's level this year. They were last year.

Matty Dispatch
10-08-2018, 11:10 AM
That production is no where near close - Chubb and Michel made them a juggernaut last year. Chubb had 1345 yards, Michel had 1,227, and Swift had 618. Now, they might have a guy lead the team with less than 900 yards? Fromm has picked up his production a bit - but their schedule has been pretty weak so far. The next 4 games will be an interesting stretch for them. They haven't played a top-half SEC defense yet. LSU, UF, Kentucky and Auburn will be a tough run for them. They may win them all, but I doubt you see their RB production go up. And that's why I don't think they are at Bama's level this year. They were last year.

You said they didn't have a legit threat to get 1,000 yards. A guy on pace for 864 is a legit threat to get 1,000.

dawgday166
10-08-2018, 11:28 AM

AND/OR

What a wuss bet ***

dawgday166
10-08-2018, 11:40 AM

I think 8-4. We have to get to where we pass the ball better to win out. Also, while our backend D played much better the other night, there were still some plays AU missed that were there to be made. LSU (in BR) and TAM both are tougher matchups offensively for our D.

msu15
10-08-2018, 11:40 AM

sonofozarka
10-08-2018, 12:01 PM
UGA is pretty damn good

Completely agree, no one has even challenged UGA yet either. They are now what Bama was in 2009-2012 w/ McElroy & McCarron, bully you with the run but be very effective when they decide to pass.

I think playing & practicing that way will make UGA better up front than Bama on the OL & DL. If Hurts plays the whole game last year, UGA beats them by 4 TD's.

Tua and the WR's make Bama more explosive, but I think UGA may be better on defense and on the OL. Bama is struggling on D and doesn't have great depth or edge pass rush.

** and on the rushing debate, sure UGA lost great talent, but they averaged 258 on the ground last yr per game and are averaging 245 ypg this year, so there's not that much drop off. And when you consider Fromm is more experienced and better now, it's a wash.