PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead vs Mullen

dawgday166
10-07-2018, 01:20 PM
This post isn't about saying Moorhead will be better than Mullen, or maybe even as good. We don't know that yet.

When Mullen came in he talked about winning championships all the time, claimed this was "Our State" and would own it, etc. He did some really good things here, but post 2014 he hasn't mentioned championships, instead he would say "We were #1 in country for 5 weeks". And he said it over and over for a while, like after that accomplishment, what more do we want.

And we certainly didn't own the state from 14 to 17. The last 4 years he was 1-3 against OM. Everyone says we would be 10-2 at least with Mullen. I'm not sure about that. KY is definitely a game that could've been a WTF game and he could've lost, since he could overlook quality opponents at times (and I believe KY is), and he didn't always scheme well every week while here at State. Add in the adverse conditions with weather and it's a game he could've lost. Even if we win against KY and go undefeated till Bama game, after that who knows what would've happened cause he would've been on the phone with Sexton all the time. He wanted out of Vegas.

Mullen in FL now and is rejuvenated. He's also getting paid (6 mill). He's scheming good every week now (except against KY, who I think he overlooked some), as opposed to taking some weeks off, or just resigning himself that we'd lose the game regardless (Bama). FL has more talent than we do per recruiting rankings. He went and added WRs in offseason. Amazing how good WRs that can get separation and make tough catches will help a QB, and make him look really good too. Mullen called plays yesterday (against a quality defense) to score inside the redzone that I'm not sure I ever saw him call for us, or if he did our WRs couldn't get the separation or didn't execute them well.

Moorhead is just starting out in SEC. While he probably could've gotten 4 or 5 mill, he only took 3 so he could pay his assistants more. That says something about him right there. Glad he ain't making Gus' salary ... wouldn't you say.

Moorhead and staff have to learn some things. Only 3 on the staff have coached in the SEC. As Shoop said earlier this week, they're learning that "This league is different. Every team comes in trying to kill you". Shoop changed his defense's "Competitive Tuesdays" to they are now "Toughness Tuesdays". One thing this staff has had to learn is the toughness you have to have in this league.

We played tough last night. Moreso than any game all year. Moorhead also schemed very well for the game, which is one of the things I was hoping he'd do, cause Mullen didn't always do that while at State.

Moorhead has also talked about the culture. While we all think it was good, it only got us so far. Maybe there are some things he thinks were missing. Maybe his ideas on that will build something that can take us farther .. we don't know that yet either.

Joe's still learning some things. Last night kinda showed he's willing to work at figuring it out. Let's hope he keeps doing that.

basedog
10-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Biggest thing for me, I seem to buy into what Joe wants for Msu, I think Mullen wanted to win more so for his ego. I don't see that in Joe, it's all about the team and the program he wants to build.

Joe is a guy that will recruit better than Dan, time will only tell like you said but I no longer see that soft side in him as I thought, he just communicates better I think.

Cooterpoot
10-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Our fans are bi-polar. Fire Friday! Going to be the best after Saturday! He looks like he’s got a lot to figure out but he’s smart enough to do it. He’s eventually going to work us toward his offense. I think he realizes now that’s going to take different players and some time. We will be in every game minus maybe AL. Just need to work on things as we go.

msbulldog
10-07-2018, 01:30 PM
4 assistants with SEC experience, Baker, Buckley, Shoop and Huff (Tenn 2011).

basedog
10-07-2018, 01:33 PM
4 assistants with SEC experience, Baker, Buckley, Shoop and Huff (Tenn 2011).

Hud also.

dawgday166
10-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Our fans are bi-polar. Fire Friday! Going to be the best after Saturday! He looks like he’s got a lot to figure out but he’s smart enough to do it. He’s eventually going to work us toward his offense. I think he realizes now that’s going to take different players and some time. We will be in every game minus maybe AL. Just need to work on things as we go.

Ain't that the truth. I'm not sure we win every game minus Bama going forward as many on here now think LOL. I believe we can play with everyone tho, if we scheme well, put players in position to be successful, and play tough.

yjnkdawg
10-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Biggest thing for me, I seem to buy into what Joe wants for Msu, I think Mullen wanted to win more so for his ego. I don't see that in Joe, it's all about the team and the program he wants to build.

Joe is a guy that will recruit better than Dan, time will only tell like you said but I no longer see that soft side in him as I thought, he just communicates better I think.

I agree on JoeMo. From what I had heard, Mullen wanted to win here, and then in a few years move on to what he called "a real football school". The two year thinking didn't work out though.