PDA

View Full Version : 10/6/2018 The Day Joe Moorehead Became an SEC Football Coach

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Welcome Joe!

Not every person who coaches in the SEC becomes an SEC football coach. Robbie Caldwell never became an SEC football coach, Sly Croom never became an SEC football coach, Matt Luke still isn't an SEC football coach, etc, but tonight you became one. You put on your big boy britches & figured out that this league isn't about how smart you are or how flashy your offense is, it's about winning the line of scrimmage & running whatever freaking style of offense gives you the best chance to do that. This isn't the style of football that they teach at coaching conventions. It's the style that wins national championships.

Some thoughts:

- Everyone was blaming Marcus Johnson for the past two weeks, but when he gets to run Mullen's offense, his OL is pretty damn good. Our OL whipped that "best defensive line in the country's" 17ing ass tonight. Blew their ass right off the ball.

- Kylin Hill is an absolute bad ass. I couldn't care less if he can pass block. When you run the ball like that, you don't have to pass block. Unreal ability. Looked like the best player on the field tonight.

- WR. Keep blocking. Things will open up. Don't get discouraged.

- Grantham's defense is flashier than Shoop's, but Shoop's is just as sound. Grantham gets beat on deep balls & Shoop gets beat on screens.

- Outside of the trick play that Auburn overthrew, the DBs played great. Made Auburn earn everything.

- We got a ton of breaks tonight, but that doesn't mean that we didn't play winning football. We played winning football tonight & when you do that good things happen because you put all of the pressure on the other team. They take chances & press.

- Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but, if we play this style of football vs Kentucky & Florida, we are 6-0 & ranked in the top 10. Oh well. Our coach wasn't an SEC football coach at that point.

- Fellas, we gotta an off week to heel up & get more comfortable with this offense. Our defense can & will shut down LSU. If our offense plays like it did tonight, we can beat them in a very very similar style game that we won tonight. No doubt. We will likely lose to Bama, but their defense is oddly struggling. Any chance we can go in there & put some pressure on them by controlling the clock?

- Damn it feels good! We all needed this. Every SEC coach gets knocked on the matt. It comes with the job, but the guys that last are the ones that can pull themselves up & figure it out. Congrats JoMo. Someday we'll be able to run a good portion of your offense, someday, but it has to come off of physical power football. The scheme can't come before the power. The motions you put in tonight were awesome. Great job!

shoeless joe
10-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Should be 5-1 at worst. Great win tonite but we should be 5-1

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Should be 5-1 at worst. Great win tonite but we should be 5-1

Let's just enjoy it for what it is.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Was impressed with secondary. 2 starters out and auburn could absolutely not complete a pass outside of screen. Great coverage downfield

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Joe was a talented AAA coach that just needed a couple weeks worth of at-bats in the big leagues before he figured it out

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 10:22 PM
https://twitter.com/TJ_WJTV/status/1048775008045162497

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Agree, Joe Moorhead became a SEC head coach tonight. He had to bury his ego and apply his intellect, and he did it. That's what MSU is all about. Joe didn't only become a SEC head coach tonight, he became a MSU head coach, ala JWS and Dan Mullen. It takes something special and different to win here. Joe got it tonight.

TrapGame
10-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Agree, Joe Moorhead became a SEC head coach tonight. He had to bury his ego and apply his intellect, and he did it. That's what MSU is all about. Joe didn't only become a SEC head coach tonight, he became a MSU head coach, ala JWS and Dan Mullen. It takes something special and different to win here. Joe got it tonight.

This all day long.

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 10:26 PM

Yup

It's the difference between guys that last & guys that get fired.

I believe Moorhead's scheme can take this offense to the next level, but you have to implement it gradually. It doesn't come overnight.

BrunswickDawg
10-06-2018, 10:38 PM
I don't always agree with Liverpool, but when I do, it's because he's actual right for once...

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 10:50 PM
So.... we ran for 329 yards vs a top 5 defensive line in the country?

If we can do that against them, so long as we don't jump off sides & create long down & distance, why can't we do that vs anyone?

Seriously, we should be able to run on every one

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-06-2018, 11:01 PM
I think we beat LSU. Calling it now. 1) our D is better than Auburns in my opinion, 2) if we can run for 6.1 ypc on 59 carries vs a front 7 that is arguably more talented than LSU's and definitely deeper, then we should be able ot do the same on LSU. The best DL on either team is Brown, who our interior dominated. 3) We get to rest up, get a great gameplan going, and clean up some problems, all while LSU get physically beaten by UGA. We'll be fresh, prepared, and focused whole they're tired and not as well prepared. And if our OL plays like that there's nothing their D can do anyway except get creative with where they come from. Noise will be a problem but it's less so when running the ball and we've got 2 weeks to fix it

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 11:46 PM
I can't help but wonder how good this team would be if we just had an average passing game.

Just average. Like an LSU or Florida level passing game. Nothing extravagant. Just good enough to play catch with open WRs

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 11:49 PM
I think we beat LSU. Calling it now. 1) our D is better than Auburns in my opinion, 2) if we can run for 6.1 ypc on 59 carries vs a front 7 that is arguably more talented than LSU's and definitely deeper, then we should be able ot do the same on LSU. The best DL on either team is Brown, who our interior dominated. 3) We get to rest up, get a great gameplan going, and clean up some problems, all while LSU get physically beaten by UGA. We'll be fresh, prepared, and focused whole they're tired and not as well prepared. And if our OL plays like that there's nothing their D can do anyway except get creative with where they come from. Noise will be a problem but it's less so when running the ball and we've got 2 weeks to fix it

Beating LSU down there isn't easy, Hopefully we get an 11am KO....but we won't,

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Robbie Donohoho nails it

https://twitter.com/RobbyDonoho/status/1048768390972809216

TimberBeast
10-06-2018, 11:56 PM
I can't help but wonder how good this team would be if we just had an average passing game.

Just average. Like an LSU or Florida level passing game. Nothing extravagant. Just good enough to play catch with open WRs

The passing game isn’t the problem, it’s the catching game. We didn’t drop passes tonight.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Beating LSU down there isn't easy, Hopefully we get an 11am KO....but we won't,

LSU plays uga next weekend they're gonna get beat up some more just like they did today

Homedawg
10-07-2018, 12:14 AM
The passing game isn’t the problem, it’s the catching game. We didn’t drop passes tonight.

Actually we did drop a 100mph fastball from Fitz to Guidry.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2018, 12:22 AM

I generally fault receivers on dropped passes but no one was catching that one. Geez maybe we should get Fitz to come throw a pen and see if he can help us out on the diamond

TimberBeast
10-07-2018, 12:33 AM

It’s amazing that not every pass that Fitz throws is perfect. I watch other teams play and no other qbs ever throw bad passes. It is surprising.

justwin
10-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Welcome Joe!

Not every person who coaches in the SEC becomes an SEC football coach. Robbie Caldwell never became an SEC football coach, Sly Croom never became an SEC football coach, Matt Luke still isn't an SEC football coach, etc, but tonight you became one. You put on your big boy britches & figured out that this league isn't about how smart you are or how flashy your offense is, it's about winning the line of scrimmage & running whatever freaking style of offense gives you the best chance to do that. This isn't the style of football that they teach at coaching conventions. It's the style that wins national championships.

Some thoughts:

- Everyone was blaming Marcus Johnson for the past two weeks, but when he gets to run Mullen's offense, his OL is pretty damn good. Our OL whipped that "best defensive line in the country's" 17ing ass tonight. Blew their ass right off the ball.

- Kylin Hill is an absolute bad ass. I couldn't care less if he can pass block. When you run the ball like that, you don't have to pass block. Unreal ability. Looked like the best player on the field tonight.

- WR. Keep blocking. Things will open up. Don't get discouraged.

- Grantham's defense is flashier than Shoop's, but Shoop's is just as sound. Grantham gets beat on deep balls & Shoop gets beat on screens.

- Outside of the trick play that Auburn overthrew, the DBs played great. Made Auburn earn everything.

- We got a ton of breaks tonight, but that doesn't mean that we didn't play winning football. We played winning football tonight & when you do that good things happen because you put all of the pressure on the other team. They take chances & press.

- Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but, if we play this style of football vs Kentucky & Florida, we are 6-0 & ranked in the top 10. Oh well. Our coach wasn't an SEC football coach at that point.

- Fellas, we gotta an off week to heel up & get more comfortable with this offense. Our defense can & will shut down LSU. If our offense plays like it did tonight, we can beat them in a very very similar style game that we won tonight. No doubt. We will likely lose to Bama, but their defense is oddly struggling. Any chance we can go in there & put some pressure on them by controlling the clock?

- Damn it feels good! We all needed this. Every SEC coach gets knocked on the matt. It comes with the job, but the guys that last are the ones that can pull themselves up & figure it out. Congrats JoMo. Someday we'll be able to run a good portion of your offense, someday, but it has to come off of physical power football. The scheme can't come before the power. The motions you put in tonight were awesome. Great job!

I agree on LSU. If Kylin gets it 25 times, we win. Perine/Scarlett combined for 31 carries vs LSU. Aeris/Kylin should have at least that many if not 40. Fitz throw it about 15 times & run ii about 20.

As for Bama, I'm ready to see Tua get hit. He'll finally get hit some vs LSU week before we hit him. We will hit Tua, but he will get his. We may be the first team until the SEC C or playoffs that he gets hit though. If Tua doesn't get hit this season, he's going to rewrite the Heisman records. If we use the next 3 games to prep for Bama and run Aeris/Kylin 40 times vs Bama, we have our best shot. Their D is good, but not as good as last several years.

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2018, 12:17 AM

Your best post to date my guy

Dawg61
10-08-2018, 12:39 AM

Who hacked your account?

https://i.gifer.com/FlH.gif