PDA

View Full Version : SIAP - Forrest Hill Band

TXDawg
10-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Didn?t see it posted, so I apologize if it?s already been discussed.

This performance by the Forrest Hill Band at Brookhaven is inexcusable. Glad to see FH responded by suspending the band director:

https://www.wlbt.com/2018/10/06/community-outraged-over-forest-hills-insensitive-band-performance-brookhaven-high-school/

parabrave
10-06-2018, 12:13 PM
WTF. Fired not suspended should be the penalty.

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Heads should roll for that shit. ****ing disgusting. Director and principal should be fired immediately and the kids involved expelled.

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 12:29 PM
The band director and the principal should both be fired, today. That's just disgusting.

Mutt the Hoople
10-06-2018, 12:33 PM
My question is, why did the Brookhaven fans not go off on the band that night?

BeastMan
10-06-2018, 12:36 PM

What are you saying? Storm the field and beat up kids? They did the right thing which is document and complain to the proper authorities. Terrible taste and folks will lose their job.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Generally high school bands just do one show per year, so this would have been something planned and rehearsed for months and not a direct response to any incident in Brookhaven.

None the less, they obviously should have been more sensitive and edited that part out of the show out last night. You have to show basic common sense and decency in these situations.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Nike is shipping them new band uniforms.

parabrave
10-06-2018, 12:41 PM
The band should be suspended from further MSHAA activities.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Generally high school bands just do one show per year, so this would have been something planned and rehearsed for months and not a direct response to any incident in Brookhaven.

None the less, they obviously should have been more sensitive and edited that part out of the show out last night. You have to show basic common sense and decency in these situations.

That part of the show should have never been in the performance to start with.

Bully13
10-06-2018, 12:44 PM
It's sad how our children are being indoctrinated in this fashion. Public education $ going for this type of hatred. For the sake of our nation, let's hope a non fake news outlet spreads as much of this incident to the rest of the country.

Mutt the Hoople
10-06-2018, 12:45 PM
What are you saying? Storm the field and beat up kids? They did the right thing which is document and complain to the proper authorities. Terrible taste and folks will lose their job.

I'm saying that the Brookhaven fans there weren't too upset with the show.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Heads should roll for that shit. ****ing disgusting. Director and principal should be fired immediately and the kids involved expelled.

if the races were reversed, the kids would probably be charged with a hate crime.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 12:46 PM
That part of the show should have never been in the performance to start with.

Maybe. But I'm not going to judge an entire band based on one still photograph out of context. You could do that on a lot of high school and college band performances and get the totally wrong idea.

Again though, they clearly should have not performed the scene in Brookhaven, given recent events. Gotta be smarter and more thoughtful than that.

Bully13
10-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Maybe. But I'm not going to judge an entire band based on one still photograph out of context. You could do that on a lot of high school and college band performances and get the totally wrong idea.

Again though, they clearly should have not performed the scene in Brookhaven, given recent events. Gotta be smarter and more thoughtful than that.

Maybe. ??? One still photo? Again though, ???? Gotta be smarter? ya think?

61's Turn.

Todd4State
10-06-2018, 12:52 PM

The people in the band have very little to no say in what type of music they play. I certainly didn't want to do the Madonna show when I was in the band.

Halftime shows are just filler for halftime. It shouldn't be to make a political statement. What Forest Hill did was tasteless and wrong.

Todd4State
10-06-2018, 12:53 PM

When that still photo has band members holding machine guns and people laying on the ground it's hard for it to not be a bad look.

Jack Lambert
10-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Band director I suspect will be fired. What sucks this will be all over every media out let nation wide.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 12:55 PM
The people in the band have very little to no say in what type of music they play. I certainly didn't want to do the Madonna show when I was in the band.

Halftime shows are just filler for halftime. It shouldn't be to make a political statement. What Forest Hill did was tasteless and wrong.

Were they making a political statement though? I haven't seen anything that gives any context to the photo.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Were they making a political statement though? I haven't seen anything that gives any context to the photo.

In the article it says they were depicted as holding SWAT team members hostage.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 12:59 PM
In the article it says they were depicted as holding SWAT team members hostage.
Yep?

What was the theme of their halftime show? Was this a reference to a scene from a movie or music video? Sorry, but I find it incredibly unlikely that a high school band would just make "anti-police" as a theme to their halftime show, and even if you don't find that hard to believe, I don't really see how nurses and doctors fit into that theme.

EdDawg
10-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Anybody that works for a school should know that is not allowed. I teach and our students aren't even allowed to DRAW pictures of guns much less perform a show with fake ones. This is a huge no no in school nowadays.

And then to add in where they were performing that's just not smart at all.

Todd4State
10-06-2018, 01:02 PM

I'm not sure. I was speaking more in general terms rather than about the specific halftime show. My point is halftime shows are supposed to be about entertainment.

The interesting thing to me that I did read was no one from Brookhaven had any idea that they were going to do that. That leads me to believe that there may have been some intent there. Bands can put in sets like that well within a week of the game. And I know my high school band director would watch our opponents bands halftime show- not sure if that's the norm. But it seems like someone would have known.

Drewbowski
10-06-2018, 01:02 PM
I think the halftime show had something to do with the film John Q. The Band director should have held off the performance for that night.

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:03 PM
if the races were reversed, the kids would probably be charged with a hate crime.

Al Sharpton and CNN would be there as we speak. Pretty damn sad what this country has become. And that goes for both conservatives and liberals. Hate is overflowing

Bully13

I consider it much worse than tasteless and wrong. I'm thinking / saying it was downright criminal. This cancerous narrative plaguing our country has basically posted open season signs on cops as record numbers of their deaths continue to pour in. This "show" if you wanna call it that was to promote murder. Spinning it as something else is sad.

EdDawg
What I read was the theme was from the movie John Q, but why have that as a theme? Most of these students probably weren't born when that movie came out and it's not like it's a classic movie.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Anybody that works for a school should know that is not allowed. I teach and our students aren't even allowed to DRAW pictures of guns much less perform a show with fake ones. This is a huge no no in school nowadays.

This. Kids have been expelled for bringing fake guns or even water guns to school.

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Yep?

What was the theme of their halftime show? Was this a reference to a scene from a movie or music video? Sorry, but I find it incredibly unlikely that a high school band would just make "anti-police" as a theme to their halftime show, and even if you don't find that hard to believe, I don't really see how nurses and doctors fit into that theme.

Yeh let’s give them a pass since it was probably based from a movie. Jesus man

Todd4State
10-06-2018, 01:06 PM

This is true. I'm not even sure if the James Bond show my high school band did my freshman year would be allowed either because we had these big plywood guns the flag girls has to twirl.

Bully13
10-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Band director I suspect will be fired. What sucks this will be all over every media out let nation wide.

I'm hoping it DOES get to as many nationwide media outlets as possible.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2018, 01:07 PM
It shouldn't have been done. Period. It was just wrong. Common sense and decency has to come into play. Smh

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Yeh let’s give them a pass since it was probably based from a movie. Jesus man

Not a free pass - the director needs to be more sensitive in the future. This was an appalling gaffe on his part.

However, we shouldn't push a false narrative that the band was performing an "anti-police" halftime show or that they were making fun of the murdered police officers in Brookhaven.

Todd4State
10-06-2018, 01:10 PM
I think the halftime show had something to do with the film John Q. The Band director should have held off the performance for that night.

That's a really weird theme.

Bully13
10-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Not a free pass - the director needs to be more sensitive in the future. This was an appalling gaffe on his part.

However, we shouldn't push a false narrative that the band was performing an "anti-police" halftime show or that they were making fun of the murdered police officers in Brookhaven.

Not a free pass? in the future? what future? as a band director? gaffe my ass. false narrative? WTF else could it have been?

https://i.postimg.cc/5NxDh6KV/Serious.gif

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:16 PM

Are you the band director? No I doubt you are so you don’t know what the message was. Sorry, but after cops were killed the same week and then they perform this shit, this was intentional. But yeh, thanks for your explanation of events Kap

Drewbowski
10-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Take it to Fox and make sure they know about it Greenhead. They can't silence us!!!

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Are you the band director? No I doubt you are so you don’t know what the message was. Sorry, but after cops were killed the same week and then they perform this shit, this was intentional. But yeh, thanks for your explanation of events Kap

Are you the band director? Do you not see the logical breakdown in your post here? I can't possibly know the motivation because I'm not the band director, but you can?

I was involved in marching bands for over 10 years, so I know how they work. I know that high school bands perform 1 show per year and that Forest Hill would have been doing this show all season and the decision to do so would have nothing to do with events in Brookhaven that happened over a month after they started performing it.

Quaoarsking
Take it to Fox and make sure they know about it Greenhead. They can't silence us!!!

Yeah! Let's make our own state look bad to advance a false politically-charged narrative! That'll show us!

GreenheadDawg

Already done. Not by me but it’s been done.

TUSK
10-06-2018, 01:21 PM
I'm shocked at the lack of weapons/muzzle discipline displayed in that still... I thought they would have had more firearms experience than that...

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Ohhh well since they’ve been practicing this for over a month then they should be allowed to perform it, not matter what happened earlier in the week. Thanks for clearing that up

RougeDawg
10-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Al Sharpton and CNN would be there as we speak. Pretty damn sad what this country has become. And that goes for both conservatives and liberals. Hate is overflowing

I will assume your google is broken. Because the hate is only going one direction and only one side physically and verbally attacking the other. I think you heard about a softball practice or The Red Hen restaurant. Fhioss are just a couple that come to mind.

I think you are mistaking hate for disagreement because the mainstream has made disagreeable items into hate for their own political purposes. Opposing an ideology or failed policy isn?t hate. Physically intimidating or actually attacking someone can be hate. And quite frankly there is only one side committing those types of acts.

No one physically attacked democrats because they opposed Obama and his failed policies/ideology. They took it to the ballot box like civil individuals. The script flipped on Nov 8, 2016 and we have seen actually physical violence and hate toward the winning side. Albeit most of this is fabricated and paid for by large donors, it?s still does not disprove the facts. Only one side is doing this, and the worst part is the people leading the party are actually donating to funds that pay for the violence.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Ohhh well since they’ve been practicing this for over a month then they should be allowed to perform it, not matter what happened earlier in the week. Thanks for clearing that up

Wow, you really need to work on reading comprehension. I've said all over this thread that this should have been edited out of their show last night due to the events in Brookhaven.

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Wow, you really need to work on reading comprehension. I've said all over this thread that this should have been edited out of their show last night due to the events in Brookhaven.

I have a Doctorate so my reading comprehension is just fine. I just don’t speak moron

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:29 PM
I will assume your google is broken. Because the hate is only going one direction and only one side physically and verbally attacking the other. I think you heard about a softball practice or The Red Hen restaurant. Fhioss are just a couple that come to mind.

I think you are mistaking hate for disagreement because the mainstream has made disagreeable items into hate for their own political purposes. Opposing an ideology or failed policy isn?t hate. Physically intimidating or actually attacking someone can be hate. And quite frankly there is only one side committing those types of acts.

No one physically attacked democrats because they opposed Obama and his failed policies/ideology. They took it to the ballot box like civil individuals. The script flipped on Nov 8, 2016 and we have seen actually physical violence and hate toward the winning side. Albeit most of this is fabricated and paid for by large donors, it?s still does not disprove the facts. Only one side is doing this, and the worst part is the people leading the party are actually donating to funds that pay for the violence.

True. I was just trying to be polite to both sides and not make it completely political. That ship has sailed

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:30 PM
I have a Doctorate so my reading comprehension is just fine. I just don’t speak moron

Take the L dude.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-06-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm shocked at the lack of weapons/muzzle discipline displayed in that still... I thought they would have had more firearms experience than that...

At least they're not turned sideways, baby steps mane.

Bully13
10-06-2018, 01:32 PM
So I guess they had a plan to show 2 cops getting killed prior to the tragedy and didn't think to edit that part out in light of recent events. I guess if the 2 cops hadn't been killed, everything would have been cool. Sound about right Q?

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Take the L dude.

And how did you win the argument? I would say you got the L. See, works both ways.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:35 PM
So I guess they had a plan to show 2 cops getting killed prior to the tragedy and didn't think to edit that part out in light of recent events. I guess if the 2 cops hadn't been killed, everything would have been cool. Sound about right Q?

Yep. Had the cops not been killed, nobody would have given their John Q show a second thought, just like nobody did in August or September.

Nobody interpreted the Famous Maroon Band's "Pirates of the Caribbean" show in 2006 as an endorsement of piracy, but if there had been a major pirate incident during that season and the band stupidly decide to play it anyway, it would have lead to confusion and upset.

TUSK
10-06-2018, 01:36 PM
At least they're not turned sideways, baby steps mane.

That was as strong as a garlic milkshake....

You have been repped, sir.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:37 PM
And how did you win the argument? I would say you got the L. See, works both ways.

You: "Ohhh well since they’ve been practicing this for over a month then they should be allowed to perform it, not matter what happened earlier in the week."
Me: Actually I have repeatedly said that they shouldn't have performed it.
You: Oh, uh, well, uh, uh, uh, you're a moron!!!!1

Really Clark?
10-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Yep. Had the cops not been killed, nobody would have given their John Q show a second thought, just like nobody did in August or September.

Nobody interpreted the Famous Maroon Band's "Pirates of the Caribbean" show in 2006 as an endorsement of piracy, but if there had been a major pirate incident during that season and the band stupidly decide to play it anyway, it would have lead to confusion and upset.

Don’t know one way or another but I haven’t seeing it stated in the news this has been their regular halftime show. Maybe it has been but I know Forest Hill parents/fans in attendance have publicly come out and condemn the director for the performance as well. Nobody has said it was their regular program however, unless I missed it somewhere

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 01:44 PM
You: "Ohhh well since they’ve been practicing this for over a month then they should be allowed to perform it, not matter what happened earlier in the week."
Me: Actually I have repeatedly said that they shouldn't have performed it.
You: Oh, uh, well, uh, uh, uh, you're a moron!!!!1

Well then you contradicted yourself by making a whole post about how long they have been practicing it as if that’s an excuse for it. Listen, agree to disagree. This argument with you isn’t worth the time. Go Dawgs

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Well then you contradicted yourself by making a whole post about how long they have been practicing it as if that’s an excuse for it. Listen, agree to disagree. This argument with you isn’t worth the time. Go Dawgs

Pointing out how long the show has been in the works was to dispel with the fiction that this show was an intentional reference to the murdered Brookhaven cops. I have been very clear in this thread, from my first post on, that even though it was not referring to them specifically, they still should have been more sensitive and not performed the part of the show from the photo.

BeastMan
10-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Come on, you know you loved performing Like A Virgin**

BeastMan
10-06-2018, 02:41 PM
I'm saying that the Brookhaven fans there weren't too upset with the show.

But do we know that? I saw Madison Co Sheriff Randy Tucker, who was there, comment about it on FB. Honestly, who watches the band at halftime in HS, especially the visitor? I bet the majority of the stadium had no idea it was going on.

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 02:48 PM

This was the first time they had done that part. It had to be specifically planned.

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Are you the band director? Do you not see the logical breakdown in your post here? I can't possibly know the motivation because I'm not the band director, but you can?

I was involved in marching bands for over 10 years, so I know how they work. I know that high school bands perform 1 show per year and that Forest Hill would have been doing this show all season and the decision to do so would have nothing to do with events in Brookhaven that happened over a month after they started performing it.

They added that part for the first time for this game.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 02:54 PM
This was the first time they had done that part. It had to be specifically planned.

Do you have a source on that?

shoeless joe
10-06-2018, 02:57 PM
What I read was the theme was from the movie John Q, but why have that as a theme? Most of these students probably weren't born when that movie came out and it's not like it's a classic movie.

Don't think for a second that this movie wasn't picked because of the shooting of "authority" or law enforcement. Heads should roll but when it comes to JPS there is no telling.

shoeless joe
10-06-2018, 02:59 PM

Why should they EVER be allowed to perform where they're acting out the shooting of law enforcement????

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Why should they EVER be allowed to perform where they're acting out the shooting of law enforcement????

There is no shooting of law enforcement in the marching band show or the film John Q -- in the movie, the gun was unloaded. You may think I'm splitting hairs, but I think that's a pretty key difference. It's why the protagonist of the movie is portrayed as heroic and not a cold-blooded killer.

As I previously said, no one would have given this show a second thought if they hadn't stupidly decided to do it in Brookhaven in the aftermath of a police shooting.

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Do you have a source on that?

It was in one if the Mississippi media articles I saw this morning. Not sure which one.

Quaoarsking
10-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Statement from JPS. Just a big misunderstanding, as I suspected. An inexcusable one, but one from stupidity and insensitivity, not malice. The marching band show had a theme from a popular (though old) movie and acted out scenes from it, which included police being held hostage (but not shot). The tragedy in Brookhaven was not even considered in the design and performance of the show. (And before yall melt down again, remember that I've repeatedly stated that the director was in the wrong for not considering it.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Do17VWjVAAItFRf.jpg

Liverpooldawg
10-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Statement from JPS. Just a big misunderstanding, as I suspected. An inexcusable one, but one from stupidity and insensitivity, not malice. The marching band show had a theme from a popular (though old) movie and acted out scenes from it, which included police being held hostage (but not shot). The tragedy in Brookhaven was not even considered in the design and performance of the show. (And before yall melt down again, remember that I've repeatedly stated that the director was in the wrong for not considering it.)

It not appropriate even if it wasn't in Brookhaven this week. If it had been going in all year in a way it's even worse. Heads need to roll.

RocketDawg
10-06-2018, 03:13 PM

Regardless of what happened in Brookhaven, why would a band be doing such a halftime show anyway?

Really Clark?
10-06-2018, 03:14 PM
There is no shooting of law enforcement in the marching band show or the film John Q -- in the movie, the gun was unloaded. You may think I'm splitting hairs, but I think that's a pretty key difference. It's why the protagonist of the movie is portrayed as heroic and not a cold-blooded killer.

As I previously said, no one would have given this show a second thought if they hadn't stupidly decided to do it in Brookhaven in the aftermath of a police shooting.

With school shooting issues and law enforcement/public safety departments trying to find ways to educate and develop safety protocols, in what world would bringing simulated automatic weapons be a reasonable idea? Fake loaded or not? Pretty reckless and dangerous idea, nevermind the insensitive nature of the theme. What if one of those students used a real loaded weapon and opened fire? In today’s world it has to be an automatic suspension for the students and firing for the band director.

Really Clark?
10-06-2018, 03:21 PM

No malice from the STUDENTS is what the mayor stated but the above statement doesn’t say it was a misunderstanding nor has anyone stated that this was being done all year. It may have been but you would think THAT would have been a part of all of these statements immediately. No way would I have made a public statement and not make clear that this was already a part of the program and should have been removed (shouldn’t have been allowed to begin with because of the subject matter and school safety policy....ridiculous)

somebodyshotmypaw
10-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Since it was from a movie, could an all white marching band burn crosses and wear klan outfits like we have seen in movies? Especially when being the visiting team at a predominately black school. Of course not.

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Since it was from a movie, could an all white marching band burn crosses and wear klan outfits like we have seen in movies? Especially when being the visiting team at a predominately black school. Of course not.

Is that something you're dying to see?*

somebodyshotmypaw
10-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Is that something you're dying to see?*

Absolutely not. Just like I don't want to see cops being killed. Both are unacceptable.

starkvegasdawg
10-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Maybe a hs band will do a show based on MS Burning or Roots. I'm sure the lefties would make excuses for that just as vehemently.

WSOPdawg
10-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Regardless of what happened in Brookhaven, why would a band be doing such a halftime show anyway?

Exactly, this is supposed to be a 7-minute musical performance at halftime -- why dress in costume and carry guns to entertain. Sounds to me its more of an after-thought excuse (the John Q theme). I think heads need to roll over this!!!

shoeless joe
10-06-2018, 03:55 PM

If rolls were reversed and the theme depicted violence toward gays or minorities would you be defending so vehemently?

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Exactly, this is supposed to be a 7-minute musical performance at halftime -- why dress in costume and carry guns to entertain. Sounds to me its more of an after-thought excuse (the John Q theme). I think heads need to roll over this!!!

Marching band has always been about theatrics. Obviously not HS, but this is Phantom Regiment (DCI) performing their Spartacus show from 2008, complete with special costumes, guard acting as slaves, Drum Majors as Roman officers, etc...Not sticking up for the use of gun props in this HS show, but marching band, to the people that do it, has always been more than just filler during the halftime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg6tqrpMnm8

Bully13
10-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Marching band has always been about theatrics. Obviously not HS, but this is Phantom Regiment (DCI) performing their Spartacus show from 2008, complete with special costumes, guard acting as slaves, Drum Majors as Roman officers, etc...Not sticking up for the use of gun props in this HS show, but marching band, to the people that do it, has always been more than just filler during the halftime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg6tqrpMnm8

Trying to figure out which comparison is dumber. This one or Q's comparing Pirates of the Caribbean to modern day Somalia pirates.

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Trying to figure out which comparison is dumber. This one or Q's comparing Pirates of the Caribbean to modern day Somalia pirates.

Both comparisons are dumb and both are just trying to push their liberal agenda.

Mutt the Hoople
10-06-2018, 04:16 PM

Here's what Errick L. Greene is REALLY doing.
https://media.giphy.com/media/77RiuLZyjarWE/giphy.gif

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 04:19 PM

What comparison did I make? No where. I'm not making any comparison, dude......I was pointing specifically to WSOP that marching band is more than 7 minutes of fluff between the 2nd and 3rd quarters of a football game. I used this theatrical example from DCI to support my point.

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Both comparisons are dumb and both are just trying to push their liberal agenda.

Lol, ok....now there's a liberal agenda.

Bully13
10-06-2018, 04:32 PM
What comparison did I make? No where. I'm not making any comparison, dude......I was pointing specifically to WSOP that marching band is more than 7 minutes of fluff between the 2nd and 3rd quarters of a football game. I used this theatrical example from DCI to support my point.

Your BS Meter needs an 11. Roman history vs a depiction of modern day cops getting executed. You should consider quitting this thread.

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Your BS Meter needs an 11. Roman history vs a depiction of modern day cops getting executed. You should consider quitting this thread.

Wtf is wrong with you? Has the bourbon already impacted your reading comprehension? Where did I say the HS show was OK or justified? Lets take a line-by-line approach....
1) John Q isn't even a good movie, despite having Denzel.
2) Using realistic looking guns in a halftime show is stupid as hell.
3) Even the illusion of "shooting" cops in a halftime show is not only stupid as hell, but horrible, and tasteless. Just having guns in a halftime show is stupid as hell.
4) Whether or not the cops were being "executed", as you state, or just being held hostage, as depicted in the film, is a point not worth debating: it looks horrible, especially in that moment, and shouldn't have been done. Period. Is that clear enough for you?
5) I was in no way comparing Roman ****ing history to this particular situation. As I just said in a previous post, I was pointing out to WSOP that marching band routinely wears costumes, uses props, employs theatrics, etc. etc....and is much more than just the "entertainment" at halftime.
6) Take this shit back to the poly board.

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 04:45 PM
And speaking of guns in marching band/drum corps, the guard have traditionally used "rifles" as part of their routines....but they look like this....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41X1-q26%2BJL._SL1500_.jpg

About as non-threatening/realistic as you can get.

RocketDawg
10-06-2018, 04:58 PM
And speaking of guns in marching band/drum corps, the guard have traditionally used "rifles" as part of their routines....but they look like this....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41X1-q26%2BJL._SL1500_.jpg

About as non-threatening/realistic as you can get.

When I was in school, males (there was a female version, but it was voluntary and they were the "sweethearts" of the males) had to take ROTC the first two years, and Tuesdays were parade days (at least for the Army ... the AF may have had another day ... can't remember). Those of us in Army ROTC had to carry M-1 rifles around during parade time. They were real, but didn't have firing pins. We also had to (or were supposed to) disassemble and clean the things once a week in the ROTC building. I don't know how many years that requirement went on after I left school, but those were different days and times than now. I think basic ROTC was required at all land-grant universities at the time.

BeardoMSU
10-06-2018, 05:01 PM
When I was in school, males (there was a female version, but it was voluntary and they were the "sweethearts" of the males) had to take ROTC the first two years, and Tuesdays were parade days (at least for the Army ... the AF may have had another day ... can't remember). Those of us in Army ROTC had to carry M-1 rifles around during parade time. They were real, but didn't have firing pins. We also had to (or were supposed to) disassemble and clean the things once a week in the ROTC building. I don't know how many years that requirement went on after I left school, but those were different days and times than now. I think basic ROTC was required at all land-grant universities at the time.

My HS ROTC had the same M1's...I'm pretty sure their actions were welded shut and the barrels were plugged, but they looked legit from a distance.

RocketDawg
10-06-2018, 05:06 PM
My HS ROTC had the same M1's...I'm pretty sure their actions were welded shut and the barrels were plugged, but they looked legit from a distance.

Ours were real all the way except for the firing pin. I've forgotten the command, but from Attention, we'd have to come to Port Arms and open the action for inspection. I think he was looking for dust rather than it being loaded. But to close it, you had to hold the action (maybe called the receiver?) back with your hand while pressing down with your thumb to release it to close. If your timing was not good, you could slam it shut on your thumb, and that was fairly easy to do when you didn't know what you were doing and it was a really cold day. Painful. I only did it once.