PDA

View Full Version : Borrowed from another: Freezus is 4-8 in the SEC heading into Saturday

Coach34
10-15-2013, 11:07 AM
and almost assuredly headed for 4-9- even though they are playing their real rival.

Mullen was 7-9 his 1st two years in the SEC.

Just found that interesting considering all the Freezus hype

SnakePlissken
10-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Mizzou would be a guaranteed loss had they not lost Franklin for 4-6 weeks

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Doubt it happens, but there is talk of Franklin returning for the Ole Miss game

RougeDawg
10-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Seems like every team they play has had key players out due to injury or legal matters. All that praying is paying off in one area.

But looking at schedule, they play mizzou in 6 weeks so Franklin should be back.

Irondawg
10-15-2013, 11:18 AM
In so many ways they mirror our first couple of seasons under Mullen. They play hard, they play fast and the fan base is energized. On field results are somewhat similar as well. The difference in recruiting - that last class gives them some studs to build around while Mullen's 2010 and 2011 class didn't produce much.

Will be interesting to see if they go bowling again if Freeze can keep the staff intact or if they can even hold onto Freeze (not that I would expect him to go anywhere). Let's say they finish 6-6 or so again and then do it again in 2014 what does the fan base do?

Coach34
10-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Moncrief is a big key for them- if he goes pro that will hurt. CJ Johnson and his injury troubles could lead him to try to go ahead see if he can get drafted. They lose 3 offensive linemen.

They could be pretty good next year- but if they lose Moncrief and Johnson- along with those guys on the OL- they are still a 6-8 win team.

engie
10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Moncrief is projected as a top 5 receiver coming out by a bunch of people. He's almost assuredly gone...

maroonmania
10-15-2013, 11:34 AM
In so many ways they mirror our first couple of seasons under Mullen. They play hard, they play fast and the fan base is energized. On field results are somewhat similar as well. The difference in recruiting - that last class gives them some studs to build around while Mullen's 2010 and 2011 class didn't produce much.

Will be interesting to see if they go bowling again if Freeze can keep the staff intact or if they can even hold onto Freeze (not that I would expect him to go anywhere). Let's say they finish 6-6 or so again and then do it again in 2014 what does the fan base do?

Their recruiting is what will likely determine where Freeze can take them (assuming the NCAA doesn't hammer them). We currently are suffering from 2 bad years of recruiting Mullen had early on and is what has put us in the position where we have so many young guys playing now and so few big time juniors and seniors. Really the only upperclassman difference maker on our team is Gabe Jackson. Lewis is almost to that point as well.

starkvegasdawg
10-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Moncrief is a big key for them- if he goes pro that will hurt. CJ Johnson and his injury troubles could lead him to try to go ahead see if he can get drafted. They lose 3 offensive linemen.

They could be pretty good next year- but if they lose Moncrief and Johnson- along with those guys on the OL- they are still a 6-8 win team.

Has anyone noticed that they just started a stretch of six straight home games? Their next (and last) road game is when they come to Starkville for the Egg Bowl. The closest any other team in the SEC comes to that is 4 straight home games.

smootness
10-15-2013, 11:35 AM
I think that offense will hold them back unless they can get a truly elite talent at QB. It's the kind of offense that can work when it catches teams off-guard and can mask some deficencies; but once you get to a level where you think you can compete with the top teams in the conference, unless you have the talent to consistently stay on the field against good defenses, it will lead to a lot of 3-and-outs and wear out your defense.

You may be able to catch a team on a good day and beat somebody you otherwise wouldn't, but you will also slip up at times and struggle to compete. So when you're building your program, your fanbase can overlook the bad days (Bama) and go nuts over the good ones (A&M), but if you get to a point where they expect you to beat most of the teams on your schedule, it will become an issue.

I just think the offense is too east-west oriented to ever be elite...unless, of course, you recruit crazy speed and talent.

chef dixon
10-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Moncrief is projected as a top 5 receiver coming out by a bunch of people. He's almost assuredly gone...

He hasn't helped his stock recently. He's been dropping every other pass.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Has anyone noticed that they just started a stretch of six straight home games? Their next (and last) road game is when they come to Starkville for the Egg Bowl. The closest any other team in the SEC comes to that is 4 straight home games.

I'm not sure this is a good thing. By week 4, they will be playing in a dead quiet stadium. No fan base in the country can maintain an energetic stadium for 6 straight weeks.

starkvegasdawg
10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure this is a good thing. By week 4, they will be playing in a dead quiet stadium. No fan base in the country can maintain an energetic stadium for 6 straight weeks.

They'll just pretend it is the 2nd half of a game when half the fan base is laying on the ground soused to the gills yelling hotty toddy to a pine cone and thinking that makes them better than everybody else.

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2013, 12:04 PM

That was based off how he finished last year. He hasn't been the best WR on their team this year.

I think he has been more focused on his dance moves to Feed Moncrief than actually catching the ball. In the games I have watched, he has key drop after key drop.

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2013, 12:07 PM

cj hasn't played this year and is really a tweener in the NFL, too small for DE and too slow for LB. He won't go anywhere after this season.

I don't want their OL to graduate - they are terrible now and they won't get better. The key for them is how healthy Aaron Morris is next year. He weighed about 375 to start the season and unless he stays on the bike, he will stay there.

Coach34
10-15-2013, 12:13 PM
cj hasn't played this year and is really a tweener in the NFL, too small for DE and too slow for LB. He won't go anywhere after this season.

CJ is not going to get bigger by next year- but he is a football player and could get picked by someone. He literally threw Bama's RT on his back a couple of times. Does he return? Probably. But if you are him and getting hurt- it could be worth moving on and seeing if he can get paid to do it

cbrunt29
10-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Surprisingly, Ole Miss's go-to receiver this year has been Treadwell. Moncrief has been a disappointment this year and his draft stock has dropped.

Coach34
10-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Surprisingly, Ole Miss's go-to receiver this year has been Treadwell. Moncrief has been a disappointment this year and his draft stock has dropped.

Treadwell is legit. He is the most complete Freshman WR I've seen in awhile

slickdawg
10-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Freezus is a .500 regular season coach after 18 games. Even if he finishes 7-5 this year, that has him 1 game over 500 in two full seasons. And remember, they've won recruiting every year, even well before Freezus arrived in Oxford.

For comparison, Mullen was two games over .500 after two seasons, 5-7 and 8-4. We all know what he had to work with when he got here too.

starkvegasdawg
10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Treadwell is legit. He is the most complete Freshman WR I've seen in awhile

And if they don't believe you they should jut ask Matt Millen. He'll tell them the same thing as soon as he gets off his knees and zips Treadwell's pants back up for him.

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Ive talked to two different Freezus believers that told me that they would trade me Kimdeechee for Chris Jones right now. They joked that they would throw in his big brother for free.

I told them that I probably wouldn't trade Chris Jones for any player on the bear roster, and that I might consider a Jones for Conner/Treadwell/Gross offer.

TopDog58
10-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Successful Quan is the SEC's best screen pass receiver for sure.

Coach 57
10-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Great thread.

chef dixon
10-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Sure I would love to have Treadwell on our squad, but put him on our roster and he fades into obscurity just like every single receiver on our roster. Dan needs to give some of our WR's a chance to shine. The reason they don't show up in big games is because none of them play or are targeted consistently enough to get any type of real confidence.

bully99
10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
One of freezus wins was against state.just like they say *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* only wins mostly against OM.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Sure I would love to have Treadwell on our squad, but put him on our roster and he fades into obscurity just like every single receiver on our roster. Dan needs to give some of our WR's a chance to shine. The reason they don't show up in big games is because none of them play or are targeted consistently enough to get any type of real confidence.

Great post. I agree completely

Jack Lambert
10-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Doubt it happens, but there is talk of Franklin returning for the Ole Miss game

Their coach confirmed. Also want to add that Missu score 15 to 20 points with out him.

Dawgface
10-15-2013, 05:37 PM
and almost assuredly headed for 4-9- even though they are playing their real rival.

Mullen was 7-9 his 1st two years in the SEC.

Just found that interesting considering all the Freezus hype

And Mullen's record from that point forward is 6-12. Certainly no hype there.

Jack Lambert
10-15-2013, 06:14 PM
And Mullen's record from that point forward is 6-12. Certainly no hype there.

We are in the SEC West. Put us over in the East during that period and if we drew the right two west teams that number could have be flipped. We would have beaten tenn every year, KY every year, Vandy every year, Ga one year, Fl one year.

His first three years you had four NC from the West and a Arkansas team that was consistantly in the top five.

TopDog58
10-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Part of that goes back to trying to play 2 QBs.

Overall, I've actually been pretty pleased with the way our WR group has shaken out. Jameon has broken out and is being used like he should be used. Get him in space on screens and short quick routes. RoJo has picked up for Malcolm's dropsies and both are that big receiver that can take a pounding in the middle. Morrow seems to slowly be getting better every week, which is allowing us to bring Ross and Wilson slowly without having to put pressure on them to produce.

I've been pleased that DeRunnya and even Morrow to an extent have been able to come out on the positive side on one on one coverage several times...the only problem is that those are the routes that Tyler is going to hit more likely than Dak.

But from what we've seen out of the receivers this year should give fans a lot more confidence in the offense next year with a more experienced Dak and young, but experienced group of receivers.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-15-2013, 08:20 PM
CJ is not going to get bigger by next year- but he is a football player and could get picked by someone... But if you are him... it could be worth moving on and seeing if he can get paid to do it

Just like Signing Day 2011?