PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Rule Proposal to Curb Grad Transfers

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 04:40 PM
I like this rule as it will make the schools that typically get all the grad transfers at least have to sacrifice something for that player.

Grad transfers have basically made LSU competitive this year, & I'm not sure if that is right.

- If you don't want to read the article, basically a grad transfer's scholarship counts for 2 years against the 85 limit instead of just one, even if the player only has 1 year left of eligibility. I think don't think it'll deter a school like LSU from taking a guy like Burrow, who they desperately needed, but does LSU also go get the kicker & CB who are starting for them?

http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-introduces-proposal-curb-graduate-transfers/

Leroy Jenkins
10-05-2018, 04:58 PM
I like the BBall grad transfer rule as well.... If you transfer for a graduate program, but do not complete it, the team cannot take a grad transfer the next year.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 05:01 PM
I like the BBall grad transfer rule as well.... If you transfer for a graduate program, but do not complete it, the team cannot take a grad transfer the next year.

Agree. I don't disagree with graduates getting to choose where they want to play, but all it's become is an unregulated way for blue bloods to fill holes on their team.

dawgday166
10-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Doesn't seem to me this will curb the blue bloods much. They get the majority of top recruits anyway, so decreasing their limit by 1 to 84 for 1 year isn't going to hurt them. What it will do is keep a Hurts type QB from transferring to a team like MSU, cause losing 1 off our scholly limit would really hurt us.

Seems "coincidental" that Saban was complaining about this the other day and now there is a new rule imposed. Seems like it benefits Bama more than anyone else.

A much better rule might be if you win your conference or are in the CFP in a given year, your team can't accept any grad transfers the following year.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Doesn't seem to me this will curb the blue bloods much. They get the majority of top recruits anyway, so decreasing their limit by 1 to 84 for 1 year isn't going to hurt them. What it will do is keep a Hurts type QB from transferring to a team like MSU, cause losing 1 off our scholly limit would really hurt us.

Seems "coincidental" that Saban was complaining about this the other day and now there is a new rule imposed. Seems like it benefits Bama more than anyone else.

A much better rule might be if you win your conference or are in the CFP in a given year, your team can't accept any grad transfers the following year.

I agree they will still take 1 or so, but LSU has about 4. If they were to compound those with a few next year, then it would really start to be an issue.

TUSK
10-05-2018, 07:07 PM
This hurts the lil guys... almost every new rule does.

LSU woulda given up 4 skollies it they'd known they'd get these results.

However, I'm not convinced Burrows is legit... He strikes me as a "Jay Barker" or a really, really poor man's "AJ McCarron"... I can't get over how his release lacks coaxial mesh given his particular throwin' motion when he moves to his left under pressure....

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 07:22 PM

However, I'm not convinced Burrows is legit... He strikes me as a "Jay Barker" or a really, really poor man's "AJ McCarron"... I can't get over how his release lacks coaxial mesh given his particular throwin' motion when he moves to his left under pressure....

How does this hurt the lil guys?

Please explain

dawgday166
10-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Yea ... his throwing motion is all f***ed up **

dawgday166
10-05-2018, 07:50 PM
How does this hurt the lil guys?

Please explain

The way I see it ... and I've just thought about it the last hour or so. I think the lil guys need all 85 schollies to hope some 3*s pan out. The big guys have a roster full of 4 & 5* and always recruit that. Decreasing their limit down to even 80 isn't gonna hurt them a lick. And, in the case of Hurts if he wanted to transfer, the new rule severely limits his options. A place like MSU, TCU, probably don't want to give up that 1 scholly. Yet if Bama wanted a player like Hurts, they'd gladly sacrifice the scholly if that's the only position that is potentially keeping them from another natty.

This is the way I see it anyway.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 07:56 PM
The way I see it ... and I've just thought about it the last hour or so. I think the lil guys need all 85 schollies to hope some 3*s pan out. The big guys have a roster full of 4 & 5* and always recruit that. Decreasing their limit down to even 80 isn't gonna hurt them a lick. And, in the case of Hurts if he wanted to transfer, the new rule severely limits his options. A place like MSU, TCU, probably don't want to give up that 1 scholly. Yet if Bama wanted a player like Hurts, they'd gladly sacrifice the scholly if that's the only position that is potentially keeping them from another natty.

I get your point but the lil guys aren't getting the grad tranfers anyway. Watch and see where Hurts goes. I bet he chooses a blue blood.

By making the scholly count 2 years, however, you make the blue bloods make a decision. It will also disperse more grad transfers to the lil guys because the blue bloods can't take all of them.

dawgday166
10-05-2018, 08:06 PM
I get your point but the lil guys aren't getting the grad tranfers anyway. Watch and see where Hurts goes. I bet he chooses a blue blood.

By making the scholly count 2 years, however, you make the blue bloods make a decision. It will also disperse more grad transfers to the lil guys because the blue bloods can't take all of them.

I don't know ... maybe. You are right that the little guys are getting the grad transfers. But I don't see the penalty to the blue bloods being severe enough to deter them. In LSU's case this year, then yea that might have hurt them some.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2018, 08:12 PM
I don't know ... maybe. You are right that the little guys are getting the grad transfers. But I don't see the penalty to the blue bloods being severe enough to deter them. In LSU's case this year, then yea that might have hurt them some.

Agree. It will only hurt at the extreme but that's what they need to cut out.

TUSK
10-05-2018, 08:20 PM

This is correct.

Jack Lambert
10-05-2018, 10:56 PM
LSU is not better. They play defense. Their QB is not good.

What pisses me off is my bulldog contribution and tax money is paying for their schooling and then they just hook up and leave. Before transferring those mother ****ers should have to reimburse the athletic department and school. Fair is fair.

Mutt the Hoople
10-06-2018, 12:37 PM
The college athlete gets screwed over so many ways- THEY can't transfer when a coach they came to play for leaves or is fired, they don't get paid even though the school makes millions off their work, and the idiot mind-games some of the coaches play on them.

The grad transfer rule is one way the players can have a say in whether or not they get screwed over by their coaches and administration.